HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Draft Report Card

View Poll Results: How would you grade the Winnipeg Jets draft?
A - Awesome 14 12.84%
B - Very Good 61 55.96%
C - Good 31 28.44%
D - Bad 3 2.75%
F - Failure 0 0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-29-2014, 06:12 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

vCash: 50
B-

Just above C+. The picks outside of Ehlers are total development projects, could easily turn out that none of them ever make it to the NHL. Jets still seem to have done a good job picking up skilled players that can take their time, grow and be productive. I'm not so sure if I should like our older, 20 years old picks. We'll see.

Ehlers pick promotes the C+ to a B-. Really happy with him. I wanted Nylander, Ehlers or Fiala.

GJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:30 AM
BackEndHockey
@Back_End_Hockey

vCash: 595
IMO: Ehlers had 104 points behind Draisatl and Reinhart playing on the second line. If Ehlers played on the first line than id imagine his production go up to 110-115

BackEndHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Jesus Christ Horburn

vCash: 500
Nikolaj Ehlers - Love the pick. He could turn out to be the 2nd or 3rd best forward in the draft.
Grade:A+

Jack Glover - Another potential steal. Really happy he fell to us.
Grade: A

Chase De Leo - Another pretty good pick. He's small, but worth the risk I think.
Grade: A

Nelson Nogier - Where it started to go wrong. This guy has some terribad stats and a much better defenseman (Alexis Vanier) was taken with the very next pick. I was personally hoping they'd go with Richard Nejezchleb or Ben Thomas.
Grade: F

CJ Franklin - PPG player in the USHL, but didn't really improve on his numbers from last year. Also a bit on the small side. Would have much rather one with Dysin Mayo, who was taken a few picks later.
Grade: C

Pavel Kraskovsky - I don't know much about him, but apparently he was one of the better ranked Euro skaters in the draft. Decent numbers, but I'm not sure he ever comes over. Personally would have gone with Radel Fazleev.
Grade: B

Matt Ustaski - This one hurts, not because Ustaski is necessarily a bad pick, but because I wanted the Jets to pick Edgars Kulda and he was taken with the very next pick. Again, don't know much about Ustaski himself.
Grade: ?

Overall I loved the first three picks, but I'm indifferent to the rest. I'd say we did just ok.

Jesus Christ Horburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
B-

Just above C+. The picks outside of Ehlers are total development projects, could easily turn out that none of them ever make it to the NHL. Jets still seem to have done a good job picking up skilled players that can take their time, grow and be productive. I'm not so sure if I should like our older, 20 years old picks. We'll see.

Ehlers pick promotes the C+ to a B-. Really happy with him. I wanted Nylander, Ehlers or Fiala.
If you rate it a C+ based on developmental projects, what would it have taken to be lets say an A+?

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

vCash: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
D, Jets needed a big centre and Chevy drafts a pint sized winger, Chevy forget the Jets now in the ''BIG" western conference?

No #2 for crappy Seto looks pretty stupid no as well

No playoffs in 2014-2015 and NO Chevy in June 2015!
Well there was no big centre that was GOOD enough available. Chevy drafted the BPA which is the only drafting strategy that makes sense long run.

When grading the draft I don't count the lack of a 2nd. That was water under the bridge and is considered when evaluating trading.

Your last sentence may very well be accurate but is not attributable to the draft. It is attributable to Goat-Lending.

I hope Chevy's replacement retains the amateur scouting staff.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
And other teams have those players too.
Just like how Jets have smaller players who play bigger and other teams do as well.

Size is overrated. It's an attribute that contributes to the overall, not the overall.
Size IS overrated ... by some .. and underrated by others. It is an attribute and an important one. You can compensate for its lack in several ways but there is no replacement for it. OTOH an excess of it at the expense of other attributes does more harm than good. So it is all about a balance of attributes, either embodied in 1 player or in a healthy mix of different players.

Old
06-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK59 View Post
I rate the draft a solid B, even taking into account the second round pick we lost.

Picking at 9 and getting a high end talent like Ehlers is a huge plus in my view. I think that Glover and De Leo have second and third round value, so in my mind this compensates for not having the pick in the second round.
Also a solid B. You saved me writing that. Word for word.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
I totally agree,I actually think Ehlers filled the biggest need we have both on our roster and in the system better than any other player in the draft,a pure goal scorer with game breaking abilities.
My list of needs for the Jets starts in net (of course). Then forward depth & 1 more top 4 D. With those holes plugged (and it really isn't as much or as hard as it may sound) we are a dangerous playoff team but we would still have lacked 1 thing. That is the 1 star+ level player that true contenders almost always have. A lot of different styles of player can fill that role but they are always high skilled. That is harder to solve than any of those others because those players are simply that rare and no one lets go of one once they get them. I think there is a good chance (still just a prospect) that Ehlers fills that role for the Jets 3-4 years from now.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Turtle View Post
Ehlers was:

4th in All p/60
5th in EV p/60
1'st in GF%
6th in GF% rel
4th in EV QoC E toi%
I just keep liking Ehlers more and more! Stop it! You will soon have me convinced we stole the best player in the draft!

Old
06-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Love, love, love the Ehlers pick. I screamed like a girl when Chevy called his name. Also like Glover and De Leo. Unsure of the Nogier pick, but the rest seem like good value.

Rounding off to a C+
Your verbal description exceeds your letter grade. Come on, it had you screaming like a girl! That's gotta be at least a B even if they just passed the rest of the way.

Seriously they got better than position value at #9. They got a decent 2nd rounder in the 3rd round and a decent 3rd rounder in the 4th. The rest were just hopeful long shots but what do you expect from the late rounds? They have a pretty good chance of getting 2 NHL players out of this draft. That's a C+ right there and if 1 of those turns out to be an exceptional player that's an A.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I gave the draft a B, largely on the strength of the Ehlers pick. I think that in most cases the first round pick really defines the draft. A clunker drags it down, whereas a great pick can really carry an otherwise so-so draft.

I'm still ticked about losing the 2nd rounder this year for Seto, but whatever.

I think it's way too early to know whether anyone else from the draft will have any impact, but they have a few picks that look to have some potential.
It isn't just you but I am getting tired of the whinging over Seto. There are a lot of complaints that Chevy doesn't trade enough and then there are those that seem determined to never forget a mistake. It is past time to just get over it. Please.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:36 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
It isn't just you but I am getting tired of the whinging over Seto. There are a lot of complaints that Chevy doesn't trade enough and then there are those that seem determined to never forget a mistake. It is past time to just get over it. Please.
It's a valid opinion, and had an impact on this draft.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Mortimer Snerd
Free Pavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I am concerned that too many Americans have been drafted. You need Canadians to win in the playoffs.

And a Pavs trade for a 7th round pick would have been awesome.
That would have been waaaayyy beyond mere awesome. Awesome would have been Pavelec + 7th to take him off our hands. In fact I'd have thrown in a 6th as well and I'm not kidding.

Old
06-29-2014, 12:45 PM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheifele55 View Post
If you rate it a C+ based on developmental projects, what would it have taken to be lets say an A+?
As they are so hard to project, it's difficult to say. A good question, De Leo really is a boom or bust pick but a 3rd rounder seems to be good value for him. I'm only "meh" right now about Nogier and Franklin. I like the Kraskovsky pick maybe even more than the De Leo pick. The risk is even lower and still potentially high reward.

Glover seems to be a solid pick.

Maybe I'll give it a B- and thanks to Ehlers, a B

Old
06-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Mud Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I just keep liking Ehlers more and more! Stop it! You will soon have me convinced we stole the best player in the draft!
ONE OF the best for sure.

And as far as DeLeo goes, if he would have had the benefit of the same amount of ice time as the top players did, he would have been over 100 points for the year at the pace he was going. Not bad!!!

Mud Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
As they are so hard to project, it's difficult to say. A good question, De Leo really is a boom or bust pick but a 3rd rounder seems to be good value for him. I'm only "meh" right now about Nogier and Franklin. I like the Kraskovsky pick maybe even more than the De Leo pick. The risk is even lower and still potentially high reward.

Glover seems to be a solid pick.

Maybe I'll give it a B- and thanks to Ehlers, a B
Fair enough. So if the Jets had taken a player who had slipped instead of Nogier and Franklin then would you say an A+?

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:38 PM
mondo3

While I certainly agree with BPA, it would have been nice to draft more than 1 Canadian player

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:45 PM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheifele55 View Post
Fair enough. So if the Jets had taken a player who had slipped instead of Nogier and Franklin then would you say an A+?
I don't know, depends on what players that would have been. Overall, I know pretty much nothing about everyone after De Leo so I'd take my opinion, just like most around here about draftees, with a grain of salt.

Old
06-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Pavel Kraskovsky - I don't know much about him, but apparently he was one of the better ranked Euro skaters in the draft. Decent numbers, but I'm not sure he ever comes over. Personally would have gone with Radel Fazleev.
Grade: B
Disagree here. Fazleev was never very impressive to me. He doesn't really stand out in any way, just kinda there. No weaknesses but no real strengths either. Don't seem him as having a very high upside. Kraskovsky has a super high upside, has all the tools to be a solid player. Just a matter of him putting it all together, but I'd rather the bigger upside with Kraskovsky.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 12:36 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Really really really happy with Ehlers, but I could gave done that so it doesn't factor huge into my grade.

Really like Glover, De Leo and the Russian as well.

C+ - My 2nd favorite draft of the 4.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 12:45 AM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Really really really happy with Ehlers, but I could gave done that so it doesn't factor huge into my grade.

Really like Glover, De Leo and the Russian as well.

C+ - My 2nd favorite draft of the 4.
C+ by this weird C=good system?
Or C+ like in every other system which is pretty disappointing.

06-30-2014, 01:40 AM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
C+ by this weird C=good system?
Or C+ like in every other system which is pretty disappointing.
I gave my grade ( B ) for the latter .

I also think you can't dismiss Ehlers from the grade simply because it was an easy choice , or he fell to us. I don't think the rating is meant to be how astute we drafted , rather how effective overall. I also take into consideration the dynamic upside he has.

You shouldn't be penalized that you took what should be a great pick even if it was universally agreed the player should be chosen ( imo ) . I wouldn't grade Colorado less because McKinnon was there for them last year , or Chicago when 2 teams passed on Toews .

I have a couple picks I am not overly hopeful for , but one is the seventh , so hard to fault that . I think we got some picks that will outperform their draft slots and that is a key for me . Outside round one , if you get a contributing NHL'r you've done very well. I think we've done that again this year , just wish we had a couple more picks in rounds2/3/4 . Hopefully next year.

jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 10:17 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 69
Write-up on the Jets' draft selections over at House of Puck:

http://houseofpuck.com/?p=1157

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Gm0ney