HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on the Perron Trade

Old
06-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Frenzy1
Christ Follower

vCash: 500
Thoughts on the Perron Trade

Due to pure luck, does that trade look more even in your mind now that the draft has passed?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:11 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Still a bad trade possibly made acceptable by Barbashev falling to 33. Could've been a disaster if the Oilers were a good team this year, now it's acceptable. Barbashev will be a solid NHLer in the future I imagine. He won't be as good offensively as Perron, but his two way game and grit might make it look pretty even in a few years. I'm happy to have Barbashev, but I'd be surprised if he's as good as Perron at any point.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Due to pure luck, does that trade look more even in your mind now that the draft has passed?
I mean Perron is a fantastic winger, but Barbeshev just seems like he fits the mold of a stereotypical Blues player with his excellent two-way play. However he's a year or two away and Paajarvi hasn't done much to warrant the trade. So it's still not Armstrong's brightest moves, even if I completely understand why it was done.

If Paajarvi steps up at all this year, even if he just shows he can be a competent third-liner, then I would say the trade is much more fair.

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:21 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

First, I don't think it's pure luck. Most other teams had a sample and chose the flavors they preferred. Teams scout multiple years ahead and this draft was known to be fairly wide open. I think the picks of Allen, Rattie, Jaskin, Carrier, Vannelli, and Edmundson, just off the top of my head have recently been above average second round selections by the Blues. It doesn't surprise me that 33rd was used well.

Second, it's a clear immediate downgrade. Even if you optimistically believe that Paajarvi and Barbashev will be crucial to a near future Cup-winning team, you can't argue that it's an immediate downgrade. However, because those guys are so young, I'm not prepared to pass judgment right now. Not because I'm a rationalizing fan boy (at least not THAT much of one), but because the very best teams in the league make moves that routinely pan out in their favor a couple years down the line. Kessel is great, but Boston's trading of Kessel was great for them. Nobody realized the impact Smith would have coming back in the Seguin deal. Anaheim's trading of Bobby Ryan, among others, looks to be pretty good. Chicago has shed their depth players season after season and it works out.
So I'm willing to give Paajarvi a couple of seasons, too. I think there's more there and, just like Barbashev's development, it's on the Blues to make something of it.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Still pissed. Luck does nothing to change that.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 08:57 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Barbashev!!!

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

Still think it was a good trade, but I know I'm in the minority.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Jzk

vCash: 1227
Eh. Still rather have Perron. We're years away from Barbashev playing in the NHL if at all.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
It's a little more even now. Could be a win down the road. Remember though, the Blues needed the payroll flexibility to sign Petro to a long term deal. If that's true, how did they cough up money for Roy and Morrow?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Eh. Still rather have Perron. We're years away from Barbashev playing in the NHL if at all.

I don't agree with either. 2 years tops, and he's definitely coming. Let him play with Jaskin and Tarasenko and he will be happy (don't necessarily mean the same line)

Old
06-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Still pissed. Luck does nothing to change that.
QFT! It was a bad trade. Paajarvi has not panned out in anyway. He still might Babrbashev was a steal but that was luck. I am sure we figured we'd get a good player, but not that good. While you can judge a trade partially by how the players work out, there is also an element that we could have gotten more. We should have gotten a higher pick or a better player. If we had somehow gotten Edmonton's first (long shot yes, but Perron was worth a mid-first so we could have added), we'd have Draisaitl. One piece may work out (the 2nd) One piece hasn't yet (Paajarvi). We still could have gotten a better player or a higher pick for what we gave up. So no matter what Barbashev turns into, it was a bad trade.

Majorityof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:27 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 466
I don't have a strong opinion about whether the trade was balanced, until I see what Paajarvi looks like this season. If he can't become a regular top 9 player for the Blues this year, then I really don't see him ever amounting to much of any value. He's been in the league long enough, and now will have had quality coaching and clear roles for at least a couple years (just not making any assumptions about whatever happened in Edmonton and their farm team).

I need to see a clear step forward for him this season.

As for the #33, I think the Blues got a quality enough player that Paajarvi begin a 3rd liner is enough for me.

I understand why Armstrong made the move. There remains speculation about locker room issues, but I kind of think that's baloney. I bet Armstrong tried to trade Stewart and couldn't, so Perron was the guy that was moved to make salary room to resign everyone and try to lure a 1C. We all know how that worked out, and Stewart ended up moving anyway.

Prior to this draft, I was feeling like the Blues (mostly combining this with the Miller deal) had shriveled up their asset cupboard to a dangerous level. Now however, I am much more comfortable that there are some quality NHL players at all positions so a gamble move like Miller's deal that doesn't pan out isn't a death move. And there are assets enough to make the next deal when its the right time.

So you won't find me complaining about the move, though I think Perron was the best player. I still have hopes for Paajarvi, but the clock is ticking. I also enjoy watching David Perron have a bigger role and be appreciated for what he brings by another fanbase. I can't help but root for Edmonton to become a factor again.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorityof1 View Post
QFT! It was a bad trade. Paajarvi has not panned out in anyway. He still might Babrbashev was a steal but that was luck. I am sure we figured we'd get a good player, but not that good. While you can judge a trade partially by how the players work out, there is also an element that we could have gotten more. We should have gotten a higher pick or a better player. If we had somehow gotten Edmonton's first (long shot yes, but Perron was worth a mid-first so we could have added), we'd have Draisaitl. One piece may work out (the 2nd) One piece hasn't yet (Paajarvi). We still could have gotten a better player or a higher pick for what we gave up. So no matter what Barbashev turns into, it was a bad trade.
I disagree. Perron wouldn't have scored like he did last year here in St. Louis. Also, the trade cleared cap, and got rid of someone who wasn't the best teammate. The second rounder combined with the saved cap and MPS is more than enough for the trade IMO. We haven't even seen MPS get a real chance either, he was a first round pick himself.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
I disagree. Perron wouldn't have scored like he did last year here in St. Louis. Also, the trade cleared cap, and got rid of someone who wasn't the best teammate. The second rounder combined with the saved cap and MPS is more than enough for the trade IMO. We haven't even seen MPS get a real chance either, he was a first round pick himself.
What do you mean Perron couldn't of scored like he did last year here? Who thought Steen would of lead the league in goals in the first few months. Perron has better vision and puck skills and just as good a wrister as Steen.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
I think it comes down to whether you like Perron or not. I did. He had offensive talent on a team that sorely needs it. The cleared cap space went to Roy, so that point is moot. If we really needed to trade him to grab that Roy cap space, we could have gotten more. The fact we didn't means we lost.

Look at it this way. What would MPS + the 2nd fetched before the draft? Not much honestly. MPS has zero trade value. We don't even try to throw him in on trades on the trade boards because he is basically worthless at this point. Let's use draft picks as a basis of comparison. Perron could be traded for a mid-late first. MPS would draw a 4th. 4th + 33rd OA << 18th OA

Majorityof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
What do you mean Perron couldn't of scored like he did last year here? Who thought Steen would of lead the league in goals in the first few months. Perron has better vision and puck skills and just as good a wrister as Steen.
Perron played much more in Edmonton than he would have here, and was virtually their 3rd best player. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere near to that playing time had he been here still.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:41 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
His production last year was the same as his production the year he returned from his concussion.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Mike Liut

would Perron be playing top 6 ahead of Steen and Schwartz? Not sure. If Hitch would have thought so, they wouldn't have traded him.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
His production last year was the same as his production the year he returned from his concussion.
But that's it though. He never had that production any other year.

Old
06-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Jzk

Quote:
But that's it though. He never had that production any other year.
He hit 50 in his second year here and had 2 other 40 point seasons on of which was at the same pace as last year. He just turned 26 a month ago. He's entering his prime as a 7 year vet. I'd say he can score at this pace pretty easy if given the opportunity on most teams.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:28 PM
shifting

I don't miss Perron.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Mike Liut

I liked Perron and his creativity. I'd love him as LW on 3rd line right now.

Old
06-28-2014, 10:36 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I liked Perron and his creativity. I'd love him as LW on 3rd line right now.
I enjoyed watching Perron's hands, but I don't remember seeing a season where he showed he could effectively use his line-mates within Hitchcock's system.

Stewart's problem was that he was ineffective on the boards and was constantly ending the cycle when the puck got coughed up.

Perron can win board battles and come away with the puck, but then too often nothing materialized because he'd continue to try and stick-handle as a one-man show, rather than capping off the great play with that a good-vision pass. If he were more of a play-maker, he could be in the mold of Datsyuk. He has the raw tools for it, just not the mentality.

Either way, I think the Blues are shaping the core to better play an effective system. Steen, Oshie, Schwartz, Backes...these guys get it. Tarasenko is probably the most talented forward, and is so coachable that I expect him to be on this list too. Probably already should be.

Stastny is the right guy to add to that top 6, and there's no place for David Perron. He'd be 3rd line for the Blues, and with the pieces of Sobotka, Jaskin, Berglund, Paajarvi....I just have a hard time putting together a 3rd line that is going to work as well as I anticipate the 3rd line to look this season. Anyway, I see why the team felt he was expendable.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Thrilled Perron is gone. Glad he's stuck in hockey hell. Hope he plays on poor teams for the rest of his career.

Putting aside my feelings about the cheap shotting, swan diving punk aside, i don't regret the trade from a team stand point either. It cleared space for us to go get a center (granted that center failed but I don't regret the move that allowed us to try) but most importantly it paved the way for Jaden Schwartz to step in as the 2nd line LW who is the PERFECT fit for this team.

The fact that EDM's 2nd turned into 1st round talent is just gravy.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Quaz

It's too bad Armstrong couldn't get Edmonton to give them their first instead of PRV and the 2nd. If they had done that we would have Bennett right now.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote