HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LastWordOnSports.com Draft Rankings

Old
06-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
LastWordOnSports.com Draft Rankings

Quote:
The big day has come and gone, and now we look back to see how each team did in the NHL draft. Look, we know that it is way too soon to evaluate a draft and that the true evaluation will be seen four or five years from now. However, we donít want to wait, instead we follow our yearly tradition and do our draft grades now.

One Note though: FAVORITE VALUE PICK does NOT mean best player drafted. It means best value. For Example Sam Reinhart is the number two player in this draft in our rankings, which means we would bet on him to be at least the second best NHL player in the group. However he is not our Favorite pick for the Sabres. Why? Because anyone can take the second best player with the second pick, we are looking for value here, what steal did the team get in the draft that went later than we thought he would? If it was merely an exercise in naming the best player drafted, might as well just name the teamís first pick.
Part 1:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/...-draft-grades/

Part 2:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/...grades-part-2/

Part 3:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/...grades-part-3/

Old
06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Hm. An A- for the Jets. I can dig it. Ehlers, De Leo, and Glover are pretty solid prospects.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Best Draft goes to Arizona with their big first round pick, BRANDON Perlini?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
boredmale

How can Ekblad be a great "value pick"(it's not like they got him at 5th or 6th)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:52 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
How can Ekblad be a great "value pick"(it's not like they got him at 5th or 6th)
Read the report underneath.... Ekblad is pretty much the only pick we liked that the Panthers made in terms of value. Hawryluk was taken too early and with Barbashev still available... and just werent fans of their second day at all.

Ekblad was our number 1 ranked player... they took him at #1.

We felt every other pick was a reach... so the one pick that isn't a reach gets called the best value pick for the team.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:54 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
Read the report underneath.... Ekblad is pretty much the only pick we liked that the Panthers made in terms of value. Hawryluk was taken too early and with Barbashev still available... and just werent fans of their second day at all.

Ekblad was our number 1 ranked player... they took him at #1.

We felt every other pick was a reach... so the one pick that isn't a reach gets called the best value pick for the team.
Fair enough

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Well deserved award for Arizona. They made out like bandits.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:57 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
Best Draft goes to Arizona with their big first round pick, BRANDON Perlini?
fixed the typo.... In 8000 words there might be a couple.

Old
06-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Hemmer Time

I hate how the non-happening of the Spezza trade affects Ottawa's score. There was nothing they can do if the as rumoured STL wouldn't even offer their 2nd round pick and there were no other offers that Spezza would accept. I'd want to see the score for the picks they made, not the trades that haven't happened and that might turn out good (although unlikely. But there's still the possibility after Statsny goes that someone pays up for Spezza).

Hemmer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:17 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer Time View Post
I hate how the non-happening of the Spezza trade affects Ottawa's score. There was nothing they can do if the as rumoured STL wouldn't even offer their 2nd round pick and there were no other offers that Spezza would accept. I'd want to see the score for the picks they made, not the trades that haven't happened and that might turn out good (although unlikely. But there's still the possibility after Statsny goes that someone pays up for Spezza).
The picks were the big thing.... no trade or failed trade, changed a draft by more than one spot.

Ie a C with a good trade becomes a C+
or a B- with a bad trade becomes a C+

Old
06-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Predsrule

Good read and for the most part well done. Couple things here and here but everyone has different views of allot of these non first rounders. But again well done.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:34 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Fair assessments. Thank you for your hard work!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 07:43 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Good analysis for the Oilers. I think C+ is fair given what we know so far.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I gave my Sabres a B+, but the two reviews I've read so far (this and Pronman/Provenzano's on ESPN.com) gave them an A+. Works for me. Either way, they had a good draft on paper, though it was extremely disappointing Murray couldn't pull off a move into the teens (offered all three 2nd's, so it's not really his fault). I had Reinhart #1, so their #2 pick was a no-brainer. My favorite pick was Cornel at #44. I had him somewhere in the late 20's. Lemieux over one of my favorite prospects Barbashev was disappointing, but he's also someone I had right around where he was picked, and I'm really happy we have him.

Good write-up on all the teams.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Scherbak isn't good enough to get us a C+.

I was expecting F+

Hayden Hawkey sounds (keyword) like he will be a solid pick.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Scherbak isn't good enough to get us a C+.

I was expecting F+

Hayden Hawkey sounds (keyword) like he will be a solid pick.
Scherbak is such a good fit for you guys. Maybe you're all rolling your eyes at adding another shrimp to the system, but Audette was a really good pick imo. If he progresses but doesn't fit your team due to having too many smaller players already, you'll be able to move him for much better value than that pick held.

Old
06-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Scherbak is such a good fit for you guys. Maybe you're all rolling your eyes at adding another shrimp to the system, but Audette was a really good pick imo. If he progresses but doesn't fit your team due to having too many smaller players already, you'll be able to move him for much better value than that pick held.
While Audette did do well and is a good pick for where he was taking, how many people want undersized, but skilled players ?

5'11 and under Montreal has some "nice" prospects. Not as nice as some prospect pools, but

Martin Reway
Charles Hudon
Daniel Audette
Artturi Lehkonen
Christian Thomas
Sven Andrighetto

Aside from Scherbak, those are our best hopes at being top 6 prospects. We got a very good one in Gallagher (guy must truly believe he's 6'3)

Unless you luck out and get a real stud, you can always trade bigger players for smaller, but skilled players.

To the habs defense, we didn't have a high first and/or a couple of early seconds to help out this year, so that makes it look worse. All of our picks (Except Scherbak). Could be a solid draft in 4 years for us.

I also think I stated what I meant for Scherbak wrong. He's a great fit for us like you said, but to cover up the rest of the draft...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
While Audette did do well and is a good pick for where he was taking, how many people want undersized, but skilled players ?

5'11 and under Montreal has some "nice" prospects. Not as nice as some prospect pools, but

Martin Reway
Charles Hudon
Daniel Audette
Artturi Lehkonen
Christian Thomas
Sven Andrighetto

Aside from Scherbak, those are our best hopes at being top 6 prospects. We got a very good one in Gallagher (guy must truly believe he's 6'3)

Unless you luck out and get a real stud, you can always trade bigger players for smaller, but skilled players.

To the habs defense, we didn't have a high first and/or a couple of early seconds to help out this year, so that makes it look worse. All of our picks (Except Scherbak). Could be a solid draft in 4 years for us.

I also think I stated what I meant for Scherbak wrong. He's a great fit for us like you said, but to cover up the rest of the draft...
I don't think you stated what you meant about Scherbak wrong. I understood what you were saying, I was just reiterating how good a pick he is. I had him #11 and he's exactly what your forward group needs. He also has that lovable factor that makes him fun to root for.

As to the rest, I see your point and it's a good one. Still, where you were picking, the odds are extremely high that the selection never pans out. Audette has better odds than most of those players, because he's a good talent with a good head for the game. Point taken, though, and I agree that the rest of the draft for you guys was underwhelming.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Honestly, I love the Scherbak, Audette and Hawkey picks. I like Evans too.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
GoWings21

vCash: 552
I gave Detroit a C grade myself, though I think you were a little harsh on the Turgeon pick. Agree with everything else though.

GoWings21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
SimplySolace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWings21 View Post
I gave Detroit a C grade myself, though I think you were a little harsh on the Turgeon pick. Agree with everything else though.
Agreed. The guy played on a third line with no PP time, what do you expect? Even so:

@RedWingsCentral
If you're an advanced-stats nerd, there's some merit to the #RedWings belief in Turgeon's offensive abilities ...

@RedWingsCentral
Turgeon ranked right there with Dal Colle, McCann, Ritchie and Lemieux in even-strength points-per-60-minutes.

SimplySolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySolace View Post
Agreed. The guy played on a third line with no PP time, what do you expect? Even so:

@RedWingsCentral
If you're an advanced-stats nerd, there's some merit to the #RedWings belief in Turgeon's offensive abilities ...

@RedWingsCentral
Turgeon ranked right there with Dal Colle, McCann, Ritchie and Lemieux in even-strength points-per-60-minutes.
Thats great and all, but Dal Colle, McCann, Ritchie were facing the other teams best defencemen.... Turgeon was not. If the WHL kept qualcomp numbers we'd see that.

Old
06-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Fighter
Legend

Like the draft analysis a lot, great work!

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 08:09 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Like the draft analysis a lot, great work!
Thanks for the kudos from you and from everyone at HF.

Old
06-30-2014, 10:18 PM
AFTeRMaTH
41st-78th-17th-11th

Completely agree with Totes having the best draft. They made out like bandits. I don't understand how GMs pass on these highly ranked players whether they need them or not. I wish our draft was like theirs.

AFTeRMaTH is offline   Reply With Quote