HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Only the one cut on D left?

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 07:11 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Only the one cut on D left?

is that correct, between Luoma and Bergeron?

Old
10-04-2003, 07:15 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
is that correct, between Luoma and Bergeron?
Yup. We're right back where we started this debate.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:16 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Yup. We're right back where we started this debate.
Lets all play the Jeopardy theme song, and the answer is?

Old
10-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Lowetide

I wonder if Luoma impressed enough for them to consider moving Ferguson? Probably not.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:18 PM
speeds

I suppose there is always the possibility they'll farm out Stoll and keep 8D, or farm out Luoma and Stoll and go with a 22 man roster.

Those would seem to be less likely, but personally I don't think they should carry more than 22 unless they have a couple guys who are touch and go to play. No sense spending that extra 600K a year, IMO.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:19 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I wonder if Luoma impressed enough for them to consider moving Ferguson? Probably not.
I wouldn't think so, but then again there has to be some reason they didn't make that (probable) final cut now...

Old
10-04-2003, 07:52 PM
woody

Quote:
I wouldn't think so, but then again there has to be some reason they didn't make that (probable) final cut now...
would they carry 8 d-man for the first couple of weeks and put Horcoff on the injured list to start the season?

Old
10-04-2003, 07:54 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
would they carry 8 d-man for the first couple of weeks and put Horcoff on the injured list to start the season?
I'm not sure what the point would be... Both the 7 and 8 dmen are not going to play much and they'd probably be better served getting minutes in Toronto.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Oiltalk

Time to get rid of penalty in critical situation and slow as molasses Ferguson for a younger guy with more of an offensive flair. Ferguson's done his time. Rather have a younger cheaper guy in Luoma being the 7th, as I feel Bergeron has worked his way into the top 6.

Brewer-Semenov
Smith-Staios
Bergeron-Cross
Luoma

Old
10-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
MacT stopped short of guaranteeing that a D-man would be the remaining cut. He wouldn't say so just so there wouldn't be a ton of attention heaped on the blueliners, although it seems pretty obvious doesn't it?

He spoke very highly of Luoma tonight and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was kept around a little longer to try and give Cross and Ferguson a kick in the pants. He's been better than both of them anyway.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:45 PM
igor*

Quote:
personally I don't think they should carry more than 22 unless they have a couple guys who are touch and go to play. No sense spending that extra 600K a year, IMO.
Makes sense to me. And a couple of days ago Pat Quinn was saying the same thing about the Leafs. Sounds like they plan to just keep one extra forward and one extra D ... and that neither of the extras will be youngsters. His thinking is that if a young guy can't make the top 12 forwards or top six D ... they are better served playing in the AHL rather than watching from the pressbox most nights.

For the Oilers especially ... its a lot of money to keep the 14th forward around.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I suppose there is always the possibility they'll farm out Stoll and keep 8D, or farm out Luoma and Stoll and go with a 22 man roster.

Those would seem to be less likely, but personally I don't think they should carry more than 22 unless they have a couple guys who are touch and go to play. No sense spending that extra 600K a year, IMO.
I totally agree. Disragarding the financial aspect, Edmonton situation with younger player dictate that out of some of the players remaining (Luoma, Bergeron, Stoll and Sarno), they would all benefit more from playing top minutes in TO than playing the pressbox in Edmonton.

My guess: Luoma goes down. It seems based on some posts in these boards and media stories that Bergeron's in. Luoma couild go down, learn the North America style of play and be ready for a callup in January.

Old
10-05-2003, 08:27 AM
theoil

Or they could trade Ferguson for a pick. I have to admit that Allen looked way better this year than last and maybe they think they have their backup in case of injury. It sure seems strange that this is the last cut.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:22 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Or they could trade Ferguson for a pick. I have to admit that Allen looked way better this year than last and maybe they think they have their backup in case of injury. It sure seems strange that this is the last cut.
luoma will go down i believe..simply because he's still fresh from europe...even he admitted himself..he's still adjusting to the North American stye of hockey.

Old
10-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
luoma will go down i believe..simply because he's still fresh from europe...even he admitted himself..he's still adjusting to the North American stye of hockey.
Think of how beneficial it will be for him playing 25-30 minutes a game in TO. Totally agree with you.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:05 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Think of how beneficial it will be for him playing 25-30 minutes a game in TO. Totally agree with you.
I'm not so sure on this one. If it is a kid (22 - 23) I would agree but I don't think that Luoma is like that. I don't know for sure but I am thinking that the league he played in last year is faster (better) than the AHL. Why get him used to a slower game? Everytime NA players go to Europe to play in a larger rink it takes them a couple of games to adjust. The same when Europeans come here for tournaments. I think the adjustment is hardest for d men but not that tricky or we could never win in Europe and Europeans could never win here in tournaments. Luoma has played his 20 minutes a game in Europe - why move him backwards?

The only issue for me is where does this leave us with Ferguson/Cross since a trade of some sort seems to be brewing and straight across deals are often difficult when the situation is convoluted like Comrie's is. Keeping pieces around if something is imminent would make sense. I know it isn't Saturday anymore but Lowetide could be close. If Comrie is not coming back no matter what then better soon than later.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:39 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I'm not so sure on this one. If it is a kid (22 - 23) I would agree but I don't think that Luoma is like that. I don't know for sure but I am thinking that the league he played in last year is faster (better) than the AHL. Why get him used to a slower game? Everytime NA players go to Europe to play in a larger rink it takes them a couple of games to adjust. The same when Europeans come here for tournaments. I think the adjustment is hardest for d men but not that tricky or we could never win in Europe and Europeans could never win here in tournaments. Luoma has played his 20 minutes a game in Europe - why move him backwards?
That is a compelling argument.

I think they'll keep Bergeron though, just going by some of the comments made, and the fact that Bergeron can be useful on the powerplay. Even if he is no better or worse than any of the veteran Dmen ... at least that gives the other guys a breather during the PP.

Moving Fergie to make room for Luoma would certainly be an option ... though I don't know if MacTavish would like that gamble. Luoma has looked decent in pre-season, but not fantastic or anything. And with Fergie at least you know what you get. Maybe a short stint in the AHL wouldn't hurt, just to get a better gauge of how good he can be in the North American Style of game.

Old
10-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
That is a compelling argument.

I think they'll keep Bergeron though, just going by some of the comments made, and the fact that Bergeron can be useful on the powerplay. Even if he is no better or worse than any of the veteran Dmen ... at least that gives the other guys a breather during the PP.

Moving Fergie to make room for Luoma would certainly be an option ... though I don't know if MacTavish would like that gamble. Luoma has looked decent in pre-season, but not fantastic or anything. And with Fergie at least you know what you get. Maybe a short stint in the AHL wouldn't hurt, just to get a better gauge of how good he can be in the North American Style of game.

I wonder about Cory Cross. When he arrived here last season, he commented about how missing the first half of the season was helpful because he was so fresh.

Come this fall, and everyone at the same starting line, Cross appears slow and ineffective. Wingers are getting by him left and right.

I'm not saying there's a massive amount of concern, but it's one thing to make mistakes but quite another to be unable to do the job physically.

Closed Thread