HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Development Camp 2014

Old
07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Nurse seems really determined to make the team this season
It sounds like he is way too good for the CHL. Too bad he couldn't be sent to the AHL
Ya I agree, that ahl rule seems pretty stupid. I wonder if there is any chance for an exception. Does anyone even know the real reason for the age restriction in the AHL?

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:02 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
It sounds like he is way too good for the CHL. Too bad he couldn't be sent to the AHL
Nurse still has a lot to prove at the junior level, and his offensive game is lacking. If we bring him in thats fine but it may stagnate his offense and hamper his development. Send him back and let him go to the WJC and maybe lead the Greyhounds deep into the playoffs. We have no reason to rush him at this point and unless he comes in and looks like Drew Doughty he should be sent back.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:05 PM
McDrai
Jesse P for Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Ya I agree, that ahl rule seems pretty stupid. I wonder if there is any chance for an exception. Does anyone even know the real reason for the age restriction in the AHL?
He's 19 right now and I believe he turns 20 in February. I'm hoping that he can somehow be transferred to our AHL affiliate once he turns 20. They should implement a rule where CHL prospects drafted in the first round can play in the AHL at any age. It would do wonders for our prospects such as Nurse and even Draisaitl.

McDrai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:16 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
The reason the rule is in place is to protect the CHL. If players were allowed to go to the AHL as soon as they could, the league would have no stars and there would be no point on building a team as the best players would be gone within a year or two. Allowing the kids to go to the AHL would basically force the CHL to fold because the difference between the WHL and AJHL for example would be minimal.

Old
07-06-2014, 03:19 PM
McspOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Nurse still has a lot to prove at the junior level, and his offensive game is lacking. If we bring him in thats fine but it may stagnate his offense and hamper his development. Send him back and let him go to the WJC and maybe lead the Greyhounds deep into the playoffs. We have no reason to rush him at this point and unless he comes in and looks like Drew Doughty he should be sent back.
The offensive game that had him leading his league in points by a dman for a majority of the season??

McspOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Last year was visa issues. Yakimov had come over for the draft so he just stayed for the camp. This year I have no idea. I know he was passed over the first time because he had no interest in coming to NA, but he was happy to be picked by Edm at the time so it could have changed his mind. I hope to see him over next year.
Yeah all indications he should be over in a year.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:25 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
The offensive game that had him leading his league in points by a dman for a majority of the season??
He had something like 33 points in 32 games then slowed down big time over the rest of the season when he was asked to round out his game and stop taking chances. He needs to continue working on picking his spots so he can be both an offensive d whos rock solid defensively.

Old
07-06-2014, 03:29 PM
McBold

vCash: 750
I'm not sure if it's old news but the Oilers instagram posted a video of Yakimov in the agility test. Seems his skating could use some work.

http://instagram.com/p/qHjg9RmzGX/

McBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaaron View Post
I'm not sure if it's old news but the Oilers instagram posted a video of Yakimov in the agility test. Seems his skating could use some work.

:shrugs: doesn't look that bad to me.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 04:21 PM
SterlingArcher

Quote:

Skating for him has always been the weakest part. Oilers have done well helping turn poor or average skaters like Gagner, Eberle and Lander into decent ones. I'd be more worries about his skating if he wasn't so big.

SterlingArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 06:28 PM
DisgruntledGoat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
**** you, pay me.
I would love for Nurse to work out as an elite player, so that could become a thing. I think I'm the only one who still thinks that RNH 'hiss hiss' thing is funny, though, so its probably just me.

Cringe at the Pronger comparisons, though.

DisgruntledGoat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
PZA*

Quote:

Ewwww, that's worse than Drasaitl.

PZA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 06:41 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

Quote:
I think he can use 1 more year. He still can get better, still has a lot to prove in Junior and can play on the WJC team.

I wouldn't be against giving him his 9 games at the start of the year but he should really go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
He was killing it at the start of the season but his offense fell off quite a bit in the last half of the year. He can still improve on it, especially his consistency.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
AimsforGenji

Not sure if anyone can shine light on it (or a stat site) but I thought I heard Darnell's coach, or some OHL scout some time ago say he was playing just about the hardest minutes in the OHL. I'm sure it's pretty common among high picked D though. But I thought it was good to hear.

AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
OVOXO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I think he can use 1 more year. He still can get better, still has a lot to prove in Junior and can play on the WJC team.

I wouldn't be against giving him his 9 games at the start of the year but he should really go back.

He was killing it at the start of the season but his offense fell off quite a bit in the last half of the year. He can still improve on it, especially his consistency.

Dat Ekblad

OVOXO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 08:04 PM
OttawaOilers
Formerly JCF

I like the set-up they're going to be doing with Andrew Ference and Military Leader Lucas Carr tonight. Put them in situations an army leader would have to go through, lessened sleep and food. I really think this is going to help our prospects on the mental side of the game, I love what they're doing here.

OttawaOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 08:18 PM
MCDAVIDISH

Quote:

Looked fine to me ?????

MCDAVIDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 08:43 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Does Diesel post here? If so, big thanks to him.

His observations on Khaira and Nurse have me very excited.

I was also very interested in this note on Drai's skating: "His straight line skating is certainly an area for improvement. He has a wide set stance that looks like hes sitting in a well, saddle. In contrast to his straight like skating that looks a bit clumsy, his footwork in close quarters (especially with the puck) is quite slick and agile."
I told people on here when we drafted Kharia, he has a chance to be our Lucic. He's got a mean streak, and he's huge. He's got the potential to be an elite third liner.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 09:12 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZA View Post
Ewwww, that's worse than Drasaitl.

Skip to 0:48.

It's from December, so there's going to be some improvement there, but his skating, even in that small clip looks superior to Draisaitls. People seem to forget/ignore/have no clue just how gross Draisaitls skating style really is..

I remember a poster on here saying it looked like he had roller blades on out there. Perfect.
Even in that Diesel's write-up on the camp, he noted that LD's skating needs some improvement.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post

Skip to 0:48.

It's from December, so there's going to be some improvement there, but his skating, even in that small clip looks superior to Draisaitls. People seem to forget/ignore/have no clue just how gross Draisaitls skating style really is..

I remember a poster on here saying it looked like he had roller blades on out there. Perfect.
Even in that Diesel's write-up on the camp, he noted that LD's skating needs some improvement.
Oh god that hurt to watch haha, but that was also a while ago I assume. In the highlights ive watched from the WHL, hes consistenly ahead of the play, so his stride looks weird but hes ahead of the pace. His game is also about slowing the game down and smart positioning so that could add to it.

I really want to see him against NHL players to see how his speed matches up

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Eirhead*

Skating efficiency and speed and agility are 3 different things.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:31 AM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
That might have more to do with the team than his consistency.

Basically the team as a whole came out of the gate on fire, but their offence fell off a few months into the season.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/0...with-us-ranger

I liked Nurse's strategy for a bear encounter.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
“I’m not really much for just having a chat,” he said. “I don’t know how much you really get out of it, so I just wanted to do something a little more productive.
So maybe he isn't much of a locker room presence as was assumed

Now I wonder why they don't do this with our actual team of heartless punks? Too many agents complaining?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:59 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So maybe he isn't much of a locker room presence as was assumed

Now I wonder why they don't do this with our actual team of heartless punks? Too many agents complaining?
ha ha, maybe an insurance problem?

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote