HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part III : Time to Synchronize Synergies!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2014, 03:03 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I hope Stostny doesn't go, we have way too many awesome nicknames for him!
I prefer my Casper one. I hope he goes ghost on the team that signs him to 7 million. If he stays here for 6-6.5 i'll just call him Paul.

Old
06-30-2014, 03:15 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

vCash: 500
Quote:
I hope Stostny doesn't go, we have way too many awesome nicknames for him!
But "Stostny" sure isn't one.

Old
06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Sheet

vCash: 140
So this internal structure we keep going on about. Aren't we just ASSUMING Duchene is the upper limit?

I seriously doubt that for a second. You don't set a cap on a certain players salary, particularly when you have one that's projected to be better then said player very soon and likely command a higher salary. Their "structure" i think is exactly what it likely should be. They simply arent willing to over pay. For anyone. For any reason.

I think the Duchene Cap is a myth. If RoR go's total ape **** his next year and puts up 80 while be a lady bynger I can't imagine we'll be like, see ya later pal. You arent making more then matty.

Old
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
So this internal structure we keep going on about. Aren't we just ASSUMING Duchene is the upper limit?

I seriously doubt that for a second. You don't set a cap on a certain players salary, particularly when you have one that's projected to be better then said player very soon and likely command a higher salary. Their "structure" i think is exactly what it likely should be. They simply arent willing to over pay. For anyone. For any reason.

I think the Duchene Cap is a myth. If RoR go's total ape **** his next year and puts up 80 while be a lady bynger I can't imagine we'll be like, see ya later pal. You arent making more then matty.
Both Roy and Sakic have pretty much said Duchene is the limit without actually using his name. It's a pretty safe assumption.

Old
06-30-2014, 03:36 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I prefer my Casper one. I hope he goes ghost on the team that signs him to 7 million. If he stays here for 6-6.5 i'll just call him Paul.
Son of Stastny is really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
But "Stostny" sure isn't one.
[MOD] I call him Stostny because of how certain PXP's (like the Kings) pronounce his name as an O instead of an A. Was never intended to be a nickname.

Last edited by Bubba Thudd: 06-30-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old
06-30-2014, 03:41 PM
LaCarriere

Send a message via MSN to LaCarriere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post

From NHL.com

The Avalanche signed several key players -- center Matt Duchene, forward Gabriel Landeskog and goaltender Semyon Varlamov -- to new contracts in the past calendar year to fit into the team's structure. Duchene is their highest-paid player with an average salary of $6 million on a five-year contract that begins in 2014-15.

"We believe Ryan and Paul should fit within that structure," Sakic said. "We don't believe anyone should be ahead of any of those guys. We believe that they're all equally important to us. We have a structure here and we believe in taking care of those core guys, and Ryan and Paul both fit in that core with our structure. We expect to do that going forward."

Roy/Sakic aren't stupid enough to not realize that if MacK continues to improve, that will be able to sign him long term at less than 6 mill/year. Obviously that structure will change over time.

Essentially what they have said right now, is they feel Duchene is their best player and they aren't going to pay anyone on their current roster more than that. That being said, I'd be shocked if a team was able to get Stastny for 6.0-6.5 over 5-6+ years. I can't see him leaving over a difference of 3M over 6 years, especially after the Avs finished 3rd place in points.

Part of the problem is Stastny probably doesn't want to immediately take a paycut from 6.6 without testing the market. I don't think he's worth the 6.6 he was making -- I think Roy/Sakic are spot on with their current unofficial "Duchene" cap of 6M -- I'd say Stastny is probably worth about 6M/year. I don't know if a team like the Blues think he's worth 6.6 or 7.0+ either, but they do have lots of cap space to work with, so they may just overpay to get a top player from a divisional rival. If the Blues/Stars, and whoever else is after him don't come in at close to or above 7M per season I think he stays with the Avs. I can't see them parting ways with the Avs coming in at 6M, and another team at 6.5 or his current 6.6, it just wouldn't make sense. I don't think that Stastny is greedy enough to leave over a few hundred thousand per year. The Avs could just offer him an extra 1-2 years at a slightly reduced rate (4.5-5.5/year) on the contract compared to whatever the Blues or whoever comes at him with, and that could seal the deal with a little extra guaranteed money in the latter years of his career. If the cap keeps increasing at it's current rate, that wouldn't be a terrible move.

Last edited by LaCarriere: 06-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old
06-30-2014, 03:58 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCarriere View Post
From NHL.com

The Avalanche signed several key players -- center Matt Duchene, forward Gabriel Landeskog and goaltender Semyon Varlamov -- to new contracts in the past calendar year to fit into the team's structure. Duchene is their highest-paid player with an average salary of $6 million on a five-year contract that begins in 2014-15.

"We believe Ryan and Paul should fit within that structure," Sakic said. "We don't believe anyone should be ahead of any of those guys. We believe that they're all equally important to us. We have a structure here and we believe in taking care of those core guys, and Ryan and Paul both fit in that core with our structure. We expect to do that going forward."

Roy/Sakic aren't stupid enough to not realize that if MacK continues to improve, that will be able to sign him long term at less than 6 mill/year.

Essentially what they have said right now, is they feel Duchene is their best player and they aren't going to pay anyone on their current roster more than that.
We all hear/read what we want to, but to me, that does not mean necessarily that their salary should not be ahead of the other's, just that there is an equal regard for importance to the franchise with each player.

I still believe their structure is based on allocating money to a certain number of players, or the core, but making sure all those players fit within that percentage.

If the 8 perceived current core pieces***: Duchene, Landeskog, ROR, Stastny, EJ, Varlamov, (another top pairing defenseman) and Barrie can be kept within the structure then they will get re-signed, but Sakic/Roy will not alter their structure just to keep 1 guy if it jepordizes the long term good of the team or forces the team to choose between them.

***MacKinnon excluded while he's an ELC player, but he'll likely become #9 or supplant Stastny/ROR as a core piece with his next contract

06-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Winnipeg Jets didn't make the cut as Stastny camp shortens list of suitors today

Old
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Winnipeg Jets didn't make the cut as Stastny camp shortens list of suitors today
LeBrun really seems to be the best one to get information about Stastny.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:11 PM
JoeSakic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
LeBrun really seems to be the best one to get information about Stastny.
Forget Ehrhoff, Goc, and Iginla. I want Colorado to sign LeBrun this off-season.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Still don't know how to feel about this whole thing. So are they narrowing down the list, getting the best offers, and then asking the Avs if they're going to match or not? Shouldn't that be clear by now?

Old
06-30-2014, 04:18 PM
ASmileyFace
Literally Can't Even

vCash: 12941
Quote:
Still don't know how to feel about this whole thing. So are they narrowing down the list, getting the best offers, and then asking the Avs if they're going to match or not? Shouldn't that be clear by now?
There might be teams holding out till other pieces start to fall tomorrow. But you would think the avs front office would have to have a general idea of what they need to offer.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Foppa Frossa

Not enough synergies in Winnipeg.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Over the Pants Landy

vCash: 418
Quote:
When I see tweets go out about "the list of suitors" I get worried. Is he basically at the point where he has a list of five teams and is going to pick one? Or are they presenting the 5 offers to the Avs FO and saying what can we do?

I need to knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Old
06-30-2014, 04:21 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Saving the Avs from making that division rival better until they can pull off the ROR for Trouba trade. Chicago, STL, Nashville or Dallas still on the clock

Old
06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Son of Stastny is really good.

What a ******** post. I call him Stostny because of how certain PXP's (like the Kings) pronounce his name as an O instead of an A. Was never intended to be a nickname. Go eat a banana.
I really like this one

Old
06-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I guess we also can't assume the Avs will be given the chance to match the highest offer. That's what's being said in the media but who knows if it's true or not. He might already have his mind made up.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:26 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 447
Quote:
I think it's going to come down to Avs or X and when he makes the decision it will come quickly tomorrow. If it's not the Avs then I bet he's signed within the first hour. It's also nice to let teams know who have offered that they are not going to get accepted so they can move on with life and their plans.

I don't think it's about matching. It's pretty obvious the Avs will be a lower offer but it's been said this whole time they are still in the mix. It's the decision between what you know and the cost to go somewhere else. It's good to narrow it down to what your true options are, stay or go here.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:33 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

It must be a tough decision to rule out moving to Winnipeg.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I hear the parks are amazing.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
That just absolutely cracked me up. Then I thought about where I live.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
That just absolutely cracked me up. Then I thought about where I live.
Is it dangerous to go outside in February where you live?

Old
06-30-2014, 04:40 PM
LaCarriere

Send a message via MSN to LaCarriere
Quote:
I guess we also can't assume the Avs will be given the chance to match the highest offer. That's what's being said in the media but who knows if it's true or not. He might already have his mind made up.
I don't think the Stastny would fall back on that. I've always thought Stastny was a pretty classy guy, I think he will at least give Sakic the opportunity given their relationship, and Sakic's relationship to Peter Stastny going back to their days playing in Quebec.

I think what it will come down to is;
1. If Stastny was blowing smoke when he said he won't take a cut from 6.6 million
2. If the potential suitors are actually offering 6.6+ (many here don't think he was quite worth the 6.6 the Avs were paying him)
3. If Stastny is willing to leave over a difference of a few hundred thousand a year if that's what it comes down to.

The Avs are in a good spot, I can't see him jumping to a team like Dallas that finished 5th in their division. I would think that it would have to be a solid contender who's willing to offer 7+.

Personally I think Stastny is open to taking a paycut to stay on the Avs, but him/his agent aren't going to publicly announce it. My guess is they are holding out to see if someone goes overboard with a 7.25-7.5+ million/year offer. If his offers are in the 6.x range on a comparable team like the Blues I'm guessing something gets worked out with the Avs.

Old
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 447
He ruled out Minnesota, so does that mean anywhere north (ie Toronto) is out?

Old
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Is it dangerous to go outside in February where you live?
Only if you think -40F to -50F is dangerous.

Closed Thread