HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part III : Time to Synchronize Synergies!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
He ruled out Minnesota, so does that mean anywhere north (ie Toronto) is out?
Where'd you see that?

Old
06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Avsboy
#TheStructure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Only if you think -40F to -50F is dangerous.
Oh I see you live in Alaska. Carry on.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:44 PM
LaCarriere

Send a message via MSN to LaCarriere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Winnipeg Jets didn't make the cut as Stastny camp shortens list of suitors today
That must have been a real tough choice.

Picturesque Denver on a winning team for ~6 mill, or a slightly higher amount in Winnipeg who finished dead last in the Avs division.

This really makes me think that although Stastny is looking at money, he wants nothing to do with a team that's not a cup contender.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

LeBrun can tweet who is out of the running all he wants...but we all know it's really gonna come down to us and St. Louis.

Also, I wonder if Sakic/Roy are happy that the agent is leaking this stuff to the media. Can't imagine they are.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:48 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
LeBrun can tweet who is out of the running all he wants...but we all know it's really gonna come down to us and St. Louis.

Also, I wonder if Sakic/Roy are happy that the agent is leaking this stuff to the media. Can't imagine they are.
I wouldn't rule out Dallas either, with the dark horse being Tampa.

Old
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
Where'd you see that?
Dater. I'm sure his buddy Russo gave him that tip.

Old
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I agree with this. Rumours of a crazy Hawks bid or Tampa and Dallas in on the sweepstakes, but I really think it is home to a contender in St. Louis, or remaining an Av for slightly less money than the Blues offer. The problem is our offer might not be slightly less, but substantially less, than the Blues'.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I'm not ruling the Rangers out. Sathers gonna Sather.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not ruling the Rangers out. Sathers gonna Sather.
Sather seems to finally have been backed into a corner by the cap and can't do anything.

Flyers on the other hand seems to not care and will sign players as if the cap didn't exist.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:02 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Don't sleep on Nashville.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:05 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Don't sleep on Nashville.
I think he's filtered out those in a rebuild

Old
06-30-2014, 05:05 PM
LaCarriere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I agree with this. Rumours of a crazy Hawks bid or Tampa and Dallas in on the sweepstakes, but I really think it is home to a contender in St. Louis, or remaining an Av for slightly less money than the Blues offer. The problem is our offer might not be slightly less, but substantially less, than the Blues'.
Exactly. I'm sure the blues are well aware that Stastny has said he will give the Avs a chance to match any offer. If the Blues offer him his current 6.6, the Avs could come back in the middle at 6.25-6.3M. I can't see Stastny leaving over 300k/year, and an extra 300k/year is not wildly outside of the "structure" of Duchene's 6M.

Where I think it gets interesting is that don't think he's quite worth the 6.6 he was making, and I can't see how any GM would realistically value him at that either. So you have a guy who's realistic value is probably a little under 6.6, and has a good chance of staying with his current team if you offer him that. How much do you overpay to steal a top player from a divisional rival? 7? 7.25? 7.5? I'm guessing that's the range it would take to get him to leave the Avs, which is steep for a guy who is a career .85 ppg player. I think any team that signs him to that will probably be disappointed unless they feel he is the missing piece of the puzzle to win a cup.

Last edited by LaCarriere: 06-30-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old
06-30-2014, 05:12 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
I think he's filtered out those in a rebuild
Do you think they are rebuilding?

Acquiring Neal, young guys who are improving, solid on defense and Goal, new coach geared for offense. Add that Stastny played well with Smith on the WC team (IIRC). 2 big contracts coming off next year in Cullen and Fisher.

I think the Stars, Wild, Avs and Preds will all be fighting it out next year for the last playoff spot in the division.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:14 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I'm going on record now saying if he leaves it will be between 6.6 and 7

Old
06-30-2014, 05:14 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Do you think they are rebuilding?

Acquiring Neal, young guys who are improving, solid on defense and Goal, new coach geared for offense. Add that Stastny played well with Smith on the WC team (IIRC). 2 big contracts coming off next year in Cullen and Fisher.

I think the Stars, Wild, Avs and Preds will all be fighting it out next year for the last playoff spot in the division.
From Stastny's perspective yeah. I can't see him go anywhere that isn't in an equal to or better position than the Avs.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:18 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I have my limits on what I would want to pay Stastny, but the unfortunate part is that if he doesn't end up here, he'll likely end up somewhere inside the division. That would be a bummer.

I actually think Dallas is the best fit for him. I don't think he's a #1 center, and would fit nicely behind Seguin.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:21 PM
letsgoavs1921

Guys, I want him to stay. Bad. We are on the verge of being a cup contender for the next few years if we can keep the core together. Having said that, if someone is going to offer him $7 million a year we can't match that. We can, but it would be stupid. He is a good all around player that brings a lot to the table. But he's not worth that. Period.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:22 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
From Stastny's perspective yeah. I can't see him go anywhere that isn't in an equal to or better position than the Avs.
I don't know if the Avs are that much better off, just with opposite deficiencies.

Nashville has the space to go 7+ for him and enough offensive need to go that far.

Lavi seems to be pretty popular among the players as well.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:27 PM
LaCarriere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I have my limits on what I would want to pay Stastny, but the unfortunate part is that if he doesn't end up here, he'll likely end up somewhere inside the division. That would be a bummer.

I actually think Dallas is the best fit for him. I don't think he's a #1 center, and would fit nicely behind Seguin.
My guess is unless it's for 7-7.5 (closer to the top end), he doesn't go to a team that squeaked into the playoffs. I'm guessing he wants to play for a contender now, and the Avs finished ahead of all the reported teams chasing him. Give the young core a little more (playoff) experience and they will be back to an annual contender.

If neither the Blues / Stars / Hawks are offering 6.6, I see him staying with the Avs. If teams offer 6.6, I'm hoping the Avs come back with 6.25-6.3 and he accepts. Leaving for a difference of 300k would be pretty crazy. If someone is offering him 7+, I'm guessing he's gone. I could possibly see the Avs coming back with 6.5, but I can't see them going over that.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Matthew Barnaby ‏@MattBarnaby3636

Worst mistake I ever did in free agency was chase the highest bidder. I should have taken a little more term but a little less money and fit

Old
06-30-2014, 05:30 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Matthew Barnaby ‏@MattBarnaby3636

Worst mistake I ever did in free agency was chase the highest bidder. I should have taken a little more term but a little less money and fit
I think a number of players are experiencing that same thing... all these stupid buyouts.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

LeBrun says a return to the Avs is still likely the strongest option for Stastny. He expects the Avs to make a new offer in the next 24 hours.

Only other team he mentioned is the Blues. Says they're a very intriguing option but he doesn't think they'll offer a lot of term, more likely the top dollar on a short-term deal.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
BaronOversee

Hope LeBrun knows what he's talking about, but honestly I'm not putting much stock in any tweet or blurb until the official announcement of where he's signing. I hope it comes early enough tomorrow.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
JoeSakic13

Quote:
LeBrun says a return to the Avs is still likely the strongest option for Stastny. He expects the Avs to make a new offer in the next 24 hours.

Only other team he mentioned is the Blues. Says they're a very intriguing option but he doesn't think they'll offer a lot of term, more likely the top dollar on a short-term deal.
Here's to hoping that Ottawa gives into the Blues offer, as I honestly think that St. Louis is the biggest threat we have in the situation. Also (and this is just my speculation) possibly Tampa, seeing as how much cap space they're freeing up.

Old
06-30-2014, 05:54 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

This is going to come down to the 11th hour. We probably are already in the 11th hour. From all the reports he just wants to stay. Anyone that didn't would have been out a long time ago. Just make it work, please.

That helps that St. Louis doesn't want to go big term. So it's not as simple as awesome contract vs Avs.

Closed Thread