HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part III : Time to Synchronize Synergies!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2014, 05:57 PM
JoeSakic13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
This is going to come down to the 11th hour. We probably are already in the 11th hour. From all the reports he just wants to stay. Anyone that didn't would have been out a long time ago. Just make it work, please.

That helps that St. Louis doesn't want to go big term. So it's not as simple as awesome contract vs Avs.
I agree, I am honestly shocked (and slightly encouraged) how seemingly all the reports about him signing elsewhere are sure to mention that Colorado is still very much in the picture. Something you're not really hearing with ANY of the other upcoming UFAs.

Old
06-30-2014, 06:02 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 141
Yeah exactly, who else keeps talking about their original team that much? Just make him feel good with a nice last offer and he'll pick us. It's not about the $$$ per se, it's the appreciation.

Old
06-30-2014, 06:09 PM
LaCarriere

Send a message via MSN to LaCarriere
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic13 View Post
I agree, I am honestly shocked (and slightly encouraged) how seemingly all the reports about him signing elsewhere are sure to mention that Colorado is still very much in the picture. Something you're not really hearing with ANY of the other upcoming UFAs.
Exactly.

There's a reason why guys like Forsberg, Foote, Tanguay, have all come back to Colorado, and why Foote, Sakic, Roy are all involved with the organization in a management role. More than anything, guys like Roy and Sakic only care about winning. They are true competitors.

They turned things around from 29th to 3rd in 1 season, and as guys like MacK, O'Reilly, Landeskog get a little more experience they are only going to be more competitive in the post-season. I imagine it would be tough to leave that for an unknown organization for a bit more money, and I think Stastny realizes that. He's seen the team under poor management/coaching, and now under good management/coaching, and I imagine that's a big factor.

Interesting to hear that St. Louis is apparently looking for a shorter term deal with a higher annual value. I imagine Roy/Sakic wouldn't be opposed to locking Stastny up longer term in the 6-6.5 million range, and I'm assuming Stastny would take the longer term deal with more guaranteed money.

Old
06-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Sheet

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCarriere View Post
"We believe Ryan and Paul should fit within that structure," Sakic said. "We don't believe anyone should be ahead of any of those guys. We believe that they're all equally important to us. We have a structure here and we believe in taking care of those core guys, and Ryan and Paul both fit in that core with our structure. We expect to do that going forward."[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
We all hear/read what we want to, but to me, that does not mean necessarily that their salary should not be ahead of the other's, just that there is an equal regard for importance to the franchise with each player.

I still believe their structure is based on allocating money to a certain number of players, or the core, but making sure all those players fit within that percentage.

If the 8 perceived current core pieces***: Duchene, Landeskog, ROR, Stastny, EJ, Varlamov, (another top pairing defenseman) and Barrie can be kept within the structure then they will get re-signed, but Sakic/Roy will not alter their structure just to keep 1 guy if it jepordizes the long term good of the team or forces the team to choose between them.

***MacKinnon excluded while he's an ELC player, but he'll likely become #9 or supplant Stastny/ROR as a core piece with his next contract

@LaCarriere Thanks a ton for the source of the speculation and the informative breakdown on everything. I wasn't aware this was said, but I have to agree with AsianRH on this one. I don't think Duchene is the solid cap, or landy or any of the above. I tend to see it more as AsianRH has said. To cap salary on any player at duchene's 6 a year seems silly.

Is it worth letting staz walk if he'll take 6.4? 400k? At a 200k discount from his previous salary?

I dont think so. I think it'd be silly to let him walk, particularly to St Louis, for even his former 6.6. I don't know that I'd match a 7 mil offer, but if St Louis is the destination, I'm not taking anything off the table if I'm a GM.

Old
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
LaCarriere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
@LaCarriere Thanks a ton for the source of the speculation and the informative breakdown on everything. I wasn't aware this was said, but I have to agree with AsianRH on this one. I don't think Duchene is the solid cap, or landy or any of the above. I tend to see it more as AsianRH has said. To cap salary on any player at duchene's 6 a year seems silly.

Is it worth letting staz walk if he'll take 6.4? 400k? At a 200k discount from his previous salary?

I dont think so. I think it'd be silly to let him walk, particularly to St Louis, for even his former 6.6. I don't know that I'd match a 7 mil offer, but if St Louis is the destination, I'm not taking anything off the table if I'm a GM.
I don't think Roy/Sakic would let him walk over a few hundred thousand either, but I'm thinking that they feel Staz won't walk over that much either. Just a matter of who gives.

If the Blues offer is in the 6.6 neighbourhood I'm sure Avs come back with ~6.3. If he's being offered ~7.0 I'm guessing they come back with 6.5. I think they are simply trying to negotiate a little home town discount.

I don't think the Avs will go past 6.5 though -- maybe offer him his previous 6.6 if the alternative is seeing him in a divisional rival's sweater. Don't forget they got O'Reilly as an RFA, and MacK who in a few years will use whatever Stastny gets as a benchmark. That's a possible 4 guys in the 5.5-6.5 range, and MacK potentially making more. Could be 30+ tied up in 5 guys.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 10s
Paul Stastny and the Avalanche were not able to get a deal done. He'll hit the market tomorrow. #tvasports
Not shocking, and not sure if news.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Yeah, doesn't feel fantastic to read.

I'm only OK with losing Stastny for nothing if the money goes straight to Ehrhoff.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Yeah, doesn't feel fantastic to read.

I'm only OK with losing Stastny for nothing if the money goes straight to Ehrhoff.
Same

Old
06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 141
I'd like to hear it from someone who has been a bit more connected in this process such as LeBrun but I've been prepared to hear that.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

vCash: 50
So in contradiction to what Lavoie just tweeted, Lebrun apparently just said on Insider Trading that it's highly possible that the Avs re-sign Stastny...

Old
06-30-2014, 07:15 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0ckets View Post
So in contradiction to what Lavoie just tweeted, Lebrun apparently just said on Insider Trading that it's highly possible that the Avs re-sign Stastny...
It could just as well mean they will resume talk tomorrow. Not that Avs and Stastny are done talking.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:16 PM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Not shocking, and not sure if news.
I'm not sure if it's really "news" either...because he has been set to go to Market for a while now.

But definitely not good news to hear, but also exceedingly strange given what LeBrun said on Insider Trading...

No matter where I try to roam, it only goes to show, I'm such a long, long way from home.
Old
06-30-2014, 07:17 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Could be differing opinions based on information out there.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I think he means they could not get a deal done before free agency so Stastny will go to market and we all expected that was always going to happen so it's not good/bad news or even news.

It's possible he means that Avs aren't willing to budge and that's not enough so Stastny has ruled out Avs but it sounded on LeBrun that Avs were probably going to make Stastny a better offer today/tomorrow.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:19 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think he means they could not get a deal done before free agency so Stastny will go to market and we all expected that was always going to happen so it's not good/bad news or even news.

It's possible he means that Avs aren't willing to budge and that's not enough so Stastny has ruled out Avs but it sounded on LeBrun that Avs were probably going to make Stastny a better offer today/tomorrow.
It's possible that better offer came and went. I don't know, I just doubt it will happen.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Even though I have a ton of respect for Lavoie, LeBrun is easily (for me) the better person to trust.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:28 PM
PAZ

I personally have accepted Stastny isn't resigning with the Avs. I'll be ecstatic if he does, but if it was going to happen there would've been some positive news.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:28 PM
IceRat
#BallsOutTheDoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

But definitely not good news to hear, but also exceedingly strange given what LeBrun said on Insider Trading...
re-sign with the Lanche
take a short term higher paying offer with the Blues because of roots to the city
or go for the jackpot
The Peg has been eliminated from contention

such lazy reporting
I think my magic 8 ball has the same preloaded stock answers

Old
06-30-2014, 07:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

LeBrun: "Stastny re-signing in Colorado, which I believe is the strongest option. I do believe Avs will make a new offer in the next 24 hours for him".

Old
06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
re-sign with the Lanche
take a short term higher paying offer with the Blues because of roots to the city
or go for the jackpot
The Peg has been eliminated from contention

such lazy reporting
I think my magic 8 ball has the same preloaded stock answers
Yeah it was lazy reporting but he did mention that he thought re-signing with the Avs was still the strongest option...

Old
06-30-2014, 07:37 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Both of them are pretty reliable... I guess we will see in less than 24 hours.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

For what it's worth, Dater just tweeted this: "The report that said Avs are done with Stastny, I believe, is not true. They're still talking"

Old
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
For what it's worth, Dater just tweeted this: "The report that said Avs are done with Stastny, I believe, is not true. They're still talking"
LeBrun or Dater, LeBrun or Dater...hmm, that's a tough decision.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
LaCarriere

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
It could just as well mean they will resume talk tomorrow. Not that Avs and Stastny are done talking.
I would assume this as well.

I would assume that Roy/Sakic didn't budge from the presumed 6M/year they were offering before, and weren't able to get a deal wrapped up before he's officially on the market.

I would assume that Stastny is still going to give Roy/Sakic a chance to match whatever offers he gets as he previously stated.

Once Roy/Sakic see the details of those offers -- who they are from, and for how much, they may offer more. If Stastny is being offered 6.6 from the Blues, I would be shocked if they don't at least offer 6.25 - 6.3 (or match), or offer an extra year, something to prevent losing him to a divisional rival over a few hundred thousand. I still want to believe the Avs are the most likely team.

Old
06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
foppagirl21

I have that horrible sinking feeling in my stomach that news about Stastny will not be what we want to hear tomorrow.

Closed Thread