HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Share your random Sabres memories!

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

vCash: 500
Share your random Sabres memories!

We all have those random Sabres moments that weren't really that important that we remember for some inexplicable reason. Things that probably most people don't remember, but that really stick in your head. I think it would be fun for people to post their obscure Sabres moments. I'll start.

Probably 3 or 4 seasons ago the Sabres were down 2-0 to Pittsburgh with like 5 minutes left. I remember saying out loud there is NO WAY Buffalo ties this game up. Well they did. I know Zhitnik scored one of the goals, don't know the other. Score finished 2-2 and I was astonished. It was some unimportant midseason game, but it just sticks in my head. weird

Old
09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Buffalo Stylee

5-2 win over Toronto in '99 playoffs where Ray and Sanderson scored.

Old
09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
SerialSeb

Do you remember when they had those really cool uniforms...

Old
09-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Against Calgary, Lindy Ruff shooting at the net from the corner (about even with the goal line) and hitting both posts as the puck went behind the goalie and into the other corner...It was pretty strange.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Tra La La

I was there the First Time Gretzky came to town. I remember in between periods Messier and a Goalie( Ed Mio I think) stayed on the ice. Messier just firing wrist shots at him along the boards.

I was Also there when Gretzky broke Espositos record in Buffalo. Gilbert had a Hat trick in the game. Goldie and Burt were in the crowd I believe.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Plastic Sabre
5-2 win over Toronto in '99 playoffs where Ray and Sanderson scored.
Nice one.

IF you're looking for obscure Sabres moments, one of my personal favourites was early in the 98-99 season. I was at a house party with a couple of dozen Leafs and Habs fans, and I think it was the first HNIC broadcast of the season so we had it at full volume. Montreal jumped out to a 3-0 lead and I was getting ribbed pretty hard, especially as two of their goals were shorthanded.

Buffalo came back to win 4-3. All I really remember is after a saddening first period effort that Buffalo, especially Peca and Varada, were all over the Habs for the rest of the night. I kept it classy and just grinned "Nice game, eh guys?" to the soured Montreal fans.

Old
09-08-2005, 04:22 PM
harvestor

About 6 or 7 years ago the redwings were trouncing buffalo 5-0 , my wife was nagging me to go pick up something up and I finally snapped. I splattered the remote against the wall and did as she asked. The sabres came back and tied the game.

Old
09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Lapps

Send a message via AIM to Lapps
This one isn't too random, but it's the coolest Sabres moment I got to see live: Alex Mogilny's first NHL goal in his first NHL game. Turgeon won the draw to Housely, the puck made it into the Quebec zone behind the goal, Turgeon set up shop and passed it out front to a cutting Alex who zipped it in.

Woah....
Mo....
Gilny....

Oh yeah -- I forgot one more random moment. I went to a Sabres/Blackhawks game and was excited to see Eddie the Eagle play. Unfortunatley, Eddie had the night off and the Sabres were blanked by some loser hack back-up goalie who was pulling some incredible saves out of his aass. I was so mad they couldn't score on this tool, and then a couple years later we traded for him. I think his name was Dominik... something. I think he was Russian. He had a dumb helmet.

Old
09-08-2005, 04:39 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Boulton destroying PJ Stock at the FleetCenter from around 3 years back!

Old
09-08-2005, 04:43 PM
cybresabre
Crabby Seer

vCash: 632
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Listening on the radio to the 7-0 game against Ottawa in 94-95 when audette scored a hat trick.

Going to the game when we eliminated boston a couple years ago.

Patty LaFontaine staying way past when he was supposed to signing autographs at the sabres carnival.

Old
09-08-2005, 05:47 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
- A few years ago when the Sabres were down by 3 to Atlanta in the 3rd and came back and won.

- Steve Heinze's hat trick against Vancouver. Markus Naslund broke his leg. I was sitting 1st row in the corner when it happened.

- Max Afinogenov's 1st NHL game. I didn't know he got called up and when I saw him out for pregame warmups, I lost it. No one knew who he was, and he scored a goal and got an assist.

Old
09-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Kruschiki

Random you say?

Free tickets to the Sabres/Hartford game (I must have gone to 3 games between those two teams that year, free). I was at a game in the Aud, sitting behind the (defend twice) sabres net in the Oranges. Me and a friend are chatting and all of a sudden, we see this teenage girl falling head over feet, row by row, thoward the guard rail. She tumbled maybe 10 rows before she stopped about 2 rows short of the rail.

It was surreal.

Old
09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Buffalo Stylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre
Max Afinogenov's 1st NHL game. I didn't know he got called up and when I saw him out for pregame warmups, I lost it. No one knew who he was, and he scored a goal and got an assist.
I was at that game, too. I remember hearing he was getting called up so I got tickets to see if he'd play. I thought he was the 2nd coming of Pavel Bure after that game.

Old
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Jooce81

Beating Philly 8-0 on the Nationally televised ESPN playoff game... game 4 I believe it was
pretty random as NO ONE ever thought that would happen

First game I ever went to as a kid was the Sabres against the defending stanley cup champs, the Calgary flames, all everyone kept telling me was to keep an eye out for flying pucks, as Calgary had a defenseman who could shoot real hard... think his name was McInnis maybe, lol.... anyways the sabres won the game 5-3

Last edited by Jooce81: 09-08-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old
09-08-2005, 07:01 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781
Beating Philly 8-0 on the Nationally televised ESPN playoff game... game 4 I believe it was
pretty random as NO ONE ever thought that would happen
No no, that game wasn't "nationally" televised. It was divided between them and like another game or 2 going on at the same time, so they went by region. I know I remember smashing stuff because I missed out for something else, like the Bruins or Red Wings or Devils maybe...yeah CT broadcast!

Old
09-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Jooce81

Oh my fault, I figured it was the national game becasue Gary Thorne and Bill Clement called it and usually they call the national game... my bad!

Old
09-08-2005, 07:05 PM
eSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Random you say?

Free tickets to the Sabres/Hartford game (I must have gone to 3 games between those two teams that year, free). I was at a game in the Aud, sitting behind the (defend twice) sabres net in the Oranges. Me and a friend are chatting and all of a sudden, we see this teenage girl falling head over feet, row by row, thoward the guard rail. She tumbled maybe 10 rows before she stopped about 2 rows short of the rail.

It was surreal.
Dude, I think I was at that game. In fact I was sitting like one section over towards the corner (not the end) from where it happened. My brother was sitting in the next section, and the girl missed him by like 3 feet. She fell from the walkway area all the way down. Crazy.

Old
09-08-2005, 07:05 PM
eSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woahboy74
No no, that game wasn't "nationally" televised. It was divided between them and like another game or 2 going on at the same time, so they went by region. I know I remember smashing stuff because I missed out for something else, like the Bruins or Red Wings or Devils maybe...yeah CT broadcast!
No, it was a national TV game. On ABC. I have the tape.

Old
09-08-2005, 07:18 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Going to a Lightning/Sabres game a few years ago, being late for the first period because I-75 was backed up 80+miles with Thanksgiving traffic leaving the Univ of Fla... and just as my wife and I sit down for the beginning of the 2nd period Mike Peca and Darcy Tucker get into a fight right in front of us (13th row behind the penalty boxen)....

The wife turned to me and said, "This is the best birthday present you've ever gotten me..."

Ta,

Old
09-08-2005, 11:08 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre
No, it was a national TV game. On ABC. I have the tape.
Uhhh, you sure? I wanna say they weren't showing it in my neck of the woods. I know me and a few other Sabres fans in CT missed out. So either way I didn't see it. What can I do to get a copy of that btw?

Old
09-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Jooce81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woahboy74
Uhhh, you sure? I wanna say they weren't showing it in my neck of the woods. I know me and a few other Sabres fans in CT missed out. So either way I didn't see it. What can I do to get a copy of that btw?
yeah i'd be interested too, been looking all over the web for that game, and nothing

Old
09-09-2005, 04:25 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Just found a game I went to......January 6, 1977.....Sabres got steamrolled by Montreal 9-2. Even now I have faint memories of Guy Lafleur gliding up and down the ice. I think he had a hat trick in that game. One of the few losses I saw at the Aud way back in the day.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:03 AM
Fan-of-#9

Walking into a bar in Niagrara Falls ON on a Sunday afternoon, wearing my Sabres Jersey to watch Sabres-Flyers Playoff Game. The bar was full of old-school die-hard Flyers fans wearing Hextall and Bobby Clarke jerseys lol. Sabres scored early, and as the lone Sabres fan I didn't keep my emotions to myself. I was clapping and cheering loudly. Anyways, we scored 7 more times....HA. And you guys know the rest of the story -> 8-0 BUFFALO.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:08 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Schony beating the crap out of Cashman in the Zamboni hallway. Really tough on the skates on that concrete. I had a perfect view of the fight from my seat.

Watching Ratelle, Gilbert and Hadfield go 3 on 0 on Crozier in a game in the very early 70s...Roger, God rest his soul, was so twisted up after their passing plays that his jock strap was found out on Main Street. Yeah, they did put it in the net.

Old
09-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

I remember Sabres tickets in the Oranges being put up for bid on the Channel 17 Auction as "priceless" and of course the bidding got too high for me to afford.

I remember standing in line in the rain for 2 Standing Room Only tickets to see the Sabres vs. the Golden Seals.... a 0-0 tie, but what great fun.

The Sabres really were the hottest ticket in town.

Closed Thread