HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Stevenson

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2005, 11:03 AM
beautypersoni

vCash: 500
Jeremy Stevenson

It seems like no one is remembering or considering Jeremy Stevenson when they make up rosters for this coming season. Well, this is from an article on Darcy Hordichuk on The Tennessean.com today; a few words of praise for both Hordichuk and the much under-appreciated Stevenson...

>> "I know you're not going to last too long in the league if you can only fight. I'm not satisfied just to be a fighter, and I think I'm finally at that point where I can achieve that goal."
>>
>> Predators Coach Barry Trotz agreed. He said he sees Hordichuk evolving into a player like Predators forward Jeremy Stevenson, who's been used on skill lines, checking lines and energy lines during his NHL career.
>>
>> "Stevie's been a really good player for us and gotten better over the years," Trotz said. "He's developed as a player and we're hoping Darcy can do that. He's a little younger version of Stevie because he's hard to play against and he's a great team guy." <<

Come on people! Give Stevenson some love!

Anyhoo...

Christopher "Beautiful" Carlson
Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan
"You can never have too many pucks."

Old
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I think most people here are fair about Stevenson's place on this team. 13th forward isn't all that bad for a guy like him, Hordichuk is supposed to have better skills though. He will see a good amount of ice time between injuries and Calgary type games.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
lightning_legwand*

I know it will be depending on training camp, but who would you rather see in the line-up Stevenson or Upshall??

I am all for a young future sniper liek Upshall.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand
I know it will be depending on training camp, but who would you rather see in the line-up Stevenson or Upshall??

I am all for a young future sniper liek Upshall.
It all depends. Do you want Upshall to get scratched and hurt his devolopement because he can't beat out any of the top nine forwards? Do you want him on the 4th line getting beaten and banged around getting all of 5 minute on ice a game? Would you rather see him start the season in Milwaukee and get called up in case there is a significant injury?

Old
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I've said before and I"ll say it again...Stevenson is the most underrated guy(among our fans) on the team. He's a warrior that can do a little bit of everything. I liked when they were using him as a screen\garbageman on the PP.

Old
09-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I've said before and I"ll say it again...Stevenson is the most underrated guy(among our fans) on the team. He's a warrior that can do a little bit of everything. I liked when they were using him as a screen\garbageman on the PP.
he probably is the most underrated guy on the team...however minutes he takes on any of the top three lines or the pp he takes from the development of either hall or hartnell,two guys i'd rather have out there in any similiar situations or minutes..

don't get me wrong,he can be a valuable asset to the team but as insurance against walker,hall or hartnell going down for any period of time...

Old
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
he probably is the most underrated guy on the team...however minutes he takes on any of the top three lines or the pp he takes from the development of either hall or hartnell,two guys i'd rather have out there in any similiar situations or minutes..

don't get me wrong,he can be a valuable asset to the team but as insurance against walker,hall or hartnell going down for any period of time...

i don't disagree at all.

Old
09-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i don't disagree at all.
personally roster wise what i think we do is keep stevenson as insurance against walker- hartnell- hall- tootoo- hordichuk being injured for any periods of time or game to game...and get him 20 odd starts in games when we don't feel hordichuk is needed to provide as much toughness and more scoring ability is desired

then as insurance for the more skilled forwards (sullivan,kariya,erat) you have either upshall or gamache to cover their roles..

i've seen some people say that since gamache signed a 2-way contract and the minor league amount was under 75k that it exempted him from waivers...this isn't totally true however,from what i can tell of the new waiver rules.. it does exempt him from having to clear waivers to be recalled (the new change), but he still has to clear waivers to be sent down (as all old waiver rules apply sending someone down).. so it does somewhat limit flexibility if gamache is to be held onto...one possibliity is that he is held as the 23rd player, to be used as a spot starter for any of the skill guys,with some possible spot time every now and then on the 4th line.. and only if any of the skill players go on the IR (and therefore over 10 days) do you call up an upshall to give yourself more depth and a possible longer term option (and since that type of callup wouldn't count against the salary cap number).. also allows upshall development time instead of being scratched regularly..

of course the amount of hall's contract will determine whether poile has the ability to keep 23 on the roster and still come in under the magic mid-point 28.6 figure and do this type of juggling..

and of course, camp should basically determine who this possible 23rd player is,whether it winds up being an upshall,a gamache,a pivko, or even someone else

and is a center goes down for a short time maybe hall gets the spot starts there,and only if the center goes on the IR do you recall a smithson or fiddler to fill in.. or trade for one

really all coming together here

Old
09-08-2005, 04:39 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
really all coming together here
Feels good being able to say that with still four days before training camp, doesn't it?

Old
09-08-2005, 05:13 PM
beautypersoni

If we keep a 23rd guy on the team, I'd definitely prefer the player to be a veteran with some NHL experience - like Simon Gamache, Randy Robitaille or Jeremy Stevenson - who can jump in any time; rather than a rookie like Scottie Upshall, whose development could be seriously impeded by sitting on the bench. Upshall needs to play, and play as often as possible. But is he ready for Nashville? I'm not sure.

Anyhoo...

Old
09-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Personified
If we keep a 23rd guy on the team, I'd definitely prefer the player to be a veteran with some NHL experience - like Simon Gamache, Randy Robitaille or Jeremy Stevenson - who can jump in any time; rather than a rookie like Scottie Upshall, whose development could be seriously impeded by sitting on the bench. Upshall needs to play, and play as often as possible. But is he ready for Nashville? I'm not sure.

Anyhoo...
i see stevenson as a lock for the 13th forward and 22nd spot on the roster. Now for the 23rd guy,that's a different story of course. Trotz has only kept 23 once or twice out of camp,the other 4-5 years he only kept 22. Lots of factors here,with the biggest being whether we have the cap room, and another being our health situation coming out of camp of course.

Is Upshall ready?.. i personally think he defintely is after watching him 15-20 times or so this last year. The guy has the ability to put up 15 goals this year IF there had been room on the top three lines. The knock about being injury prone is the first everyone throws out,with some reason of course, but again personally i don't buy into that like most. Upshall's injuries have all been different injuries,nothing chronic like a recurring type knee or shoulder injury. Speaks more to bad luck than anything else. Upshall will replace Scott Walker down the road in both role and importance i think. Scoring with grit and good defense (but with more upside than walks), looking to the future the preds cann't give this guy away.

Now he cann't sit on the bench at his age, and i agree if we're healthy coming out of camp he needs to be in Milwaukee to play if that is the case. Personally i hope they keep a gamache for spot starting as the 23rd guy,and only recall Upshall for any extended replacement to any top three line forward (which is exactly what i think they will tend to do). Gamache,pivko are perfect 23rd man candidates honestly. Both are at the age where they would have to clear waivers going down,but both have basically done all they can in the AHL and more experience there isn't near as important for them.

Old
09-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Feels good being able to say that with still four days before training camp, doesn't it?
It damn sure is. I remember going into a few of our early camps and not even recognizing some of the player's names. ...and recognizing others and thinking "oh no,not him again"

Old
09-08-2005, 09:32 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
It damn sure is. I remember going into a few of our early camps and not even recognizing some of the player's names. ...and recognizing others and thinking "oh no,not him again"

Classic.

Closed Thread