HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Glens Falls CC up for auction, Flames pres bidding

Old
06-30-2014, 11:38 PM
RFA

vCash: 500
Glens Falls CC up for auction, Flames pres bidding

http://m.poststar.com/news/local/loc...ile_touch=true

Maybe they're going to move the arena to Cali or SLC.........

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Frostbite Warrior

Richard Schermerhorn and the Flames President do you mean that! Schermerhorn owns some Apartments and an Airport! I hope they buy the Civic Center and Keep it for Hockey only and some Basketball

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 12:48 AM
Martin V

They will put an ECHL team in it when they will move the AHL team out west...

Martin V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:53 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

This is not Petro’s first attempt at owning a building. He attempted on several occasions to purchase the CCCC to no avail and tried to purchase the Colisee in Lewiston from the city back in 2009. Every time he was debunked because it was never his money going into the pot. This is no different...

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
CJNewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin V View Post
They will put an ECHL team in it when they will move the AHL team out west...
If Petro is attempting to buy the building it's to keep the AHL there permenantly. Also the other outside party that might be interested in buying it is MSG/Rangers and their purpose of buying it would be to put their AHL team there.

CJNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Tommy Hawk

If he is buying the building the only reason is because he feels he can make a profit with it. An AHL team is not necessarily going to guarantee him a profit so your conjecture is noted. My conjecture is he will be moving his ECHL team there, if he wins, ans part of a negotiation and compensation for moving the AHL team west. Kinda swapping the ECHL and AHL structure where the western teams ECHL teams are in the east and the AHL teams are in the west.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 11:47 PM
CJNewman

First of all they don't own an ECHL team to swap. Secondly it is proven that the AHL only would work in Glens Falls. Third MSG might come in and buy the arena and put the Rangers affiliate there. Finally how are the negotiations in Milwaukee going last I checked the Admirals only have two years to go on their lease and the Bucks and Marquette haven't included them in the negotiations for a new arena. Think of the irony if they were one of the teams sold and moved out west. It wouldn't be the first time an AHL team was forced out by an NBA team just look at Philadelphia and Houston.

Old
07-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Martin V

The Milwaukee Admirals could always go to the UW Panther Arena (ex-US Cellular Arena) right across the street fron the BMO Harris Bradley Center...

Last edited by Martin V: 07-02-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Martin V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNewman View Post
First of all they don't own an ECHL team to swap. Secondly it is proven that the AHL only would work in Glens Falls. Third MSG might come in and buy the arena and put the Rangers affiliate there. Finally how are the negotiations in Milwaukee going last I checked the Admirals only have two years to go on their lease and the Bucks and Marquette haven't included them in the negotiations for a new arena. Think of the irony if they were one of the teams sold and moved out west. It wouldn't be the first time an AHL team was forced out by an NBA team just look at Philadelphia and Houston.
You have been debunked several times concerning your Milwaukee statements yet you continue to bring them up. Milwaukee will be fine. They could play at Miller Stadium if they wanted since they be owned by Brewers owner.

And the Bradley Center is far from being torn down. The NBA isn't why the Phantoms left. They left because Comcast decided to tear down the spectrum.

Lastly, acquiring an ECHL team is easy. There are many available and it was not proven the ECHL won't work in GF.

Old
07-02-2014, 02:26 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
You have been debunked several times concerning your Milwaukee statements yet you continue to bring them up. Milwaukee will be fine. They could play at Miller Stadium if they wanted since they be owned by Brewers owner.

And the Bradley Center is far from being torn down. The NBA isn't why the Phantoms left. They left because Comcast decided to tear down the spectrum.

Lastly, acquiring an ECHL team is easy. There are many available and it was not proven the ECHL won't work in GF.
Not to mention he says Marquette hasn't involved them in negotiations. Marquette isn't even involved in negotiations.

Right now they're looking at sites to put it. Then they have to get financing figured out and even if a new arena gets built it's not a guarantee the Bradley Center even gets torn down.

I have no idea why he's obsessed with this topic, but if he's going to be he should at least get his facts straight.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Just a clarification - the teams weren't forced out by the NBA teams - the Phantoms had to leave town when the powers-that-be decided to implode the Spectrum. The Aeros were simply not welcome any more - they'd peacefully co-existed with the Rockets for a while.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
RFA

ECHL won't work in GF, many of the people drive an hour or more to the games and won't do that for ECHL/UHL level. I'm saying this as an attendance fact, not commenting on who deserves what or if an hour is too far to drive for the ECHL. And for this case the UHL and ECHL are close enough in product in enough potential fan's eyes that it will not work. Personally, I like the lower level, but the majority of the paying customers and many business owners who sponsor the team do not.
I think it would be a foolish move to buy the barn with intention of moving an ECHL team in.

The auction will be interesting, we will see if MSG is serious about buying it or what. That has been the rumor since 2006.

As far as having a profitable team, I think the general rule of thumb is the fewer hands in the pot, the more likely the venture is profitable. If Petro (or MSG) doesn't have to deal with the city and gets rid of Global Spectrum there's two pretty big hands out of the equation.

Old
07-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Really you want to know my problem well I'll tell you I find it very pathetic to openly root for people to lose their team when it doesn't benefit you in anyway. Secondly telling me to get my facts straight when your boy is here daily making things up in a completely ridiculous way that has no purpose than to piss people off and show his ignorance you have nothing to say, but when someone brings up the possibility of the Admirals leaving Milwaukee you have plenty to say. The fact is what I'm saying has at least as much probability if not more than what has been written. So either police your own with their ridiculous claims against other peoples teams or shut up and stay out of it.
No one is "rooting" for anyone to lose their team but if Vancouver decides to move to Victoria or Abbotsford or Seattle what is Utica gonna do for a team? They don't even own the AHL team. Same goes for the Flames. And the Oilers. And Manchester. And Worcester.

Not sure what you are missing but all those cities would be SOL. And if Anaheim and Phoenix decide to own an AHL team where do you think they will get the team? There are two choices.

1) Buy a team from an owner willing to sell. Possible owners willing to sell based upon prior year rhetoric are Springfield and Syracuse. Albany is owned by NJD, Hartford by NYR, Bridgeport by NYI, WBS by PIT, ROC by BUF, HAM by MTL (minority MTL owner is the HAM owner) so who the heck else would sell/move? Binghamton?

2) Get the AHL to give them a temporary license and yank their affiliation causing Norfolk and Portland the AHL teams to either find another affiliation. If they find another affiliation the two teams losing those affiliation would either play independently in a 32 team league or be forced to sell.

And Milwaukee is going absolutely no where since they are owned by the Brewers and have been around for 40 years. The former owners are the ones that built the current arena. And there is no guarantee the new arena will even be built. The Bucks aren't exactly a favorite of the citizens of the city and the city isn't exactly flush with money especially with the train project and the surrounding counties
are not behind the new stadium either.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:57 PM
RFA

I'm not sure how Milwaukee relates to Glens Falls, but since there are some Ads experts on here does anyone have a box score, with penalties, from the 10-26-1990 game vs. Albany?

Old
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
I'm not sure how Milwaukee relates to Glens Falls, but since there are some Ads experts on here does anyone have a box score, with penalties, from the 10-26-1990 game vs. Albany?
Are you invoking the Choppers?!?!!?? That is old school!!

Old
07-02-2014, 07:11 PM
CJNewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
Sir that game in Albany on October 26th, 1990 was a game that involved the Albany Choppers an IHL team. I must warn you this is an AHL board and if you continue to go off topic I will have no choice but to report you to the MODS. Thank you. (SARCASM)

Old
07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
RFA

yes I am walking on thin ice I know! I have a little collection of items from the Choppers, and box scores from all games except that one.

I don't want any trouble!

Old
07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
CJNewman

Uh oh off topic though I had my 10th birthday at a Choppers game and we were literally the only fans there.

Old
07-03-2014, 07:27 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Uh oh off topic though I had my 10th birthday at a Choppers game and we were literally the only fans there.
[mod]you need to research facts before posting,

the reason the Aeros left is the same reason many teams are relocated, Minnesota owned the franchise, and Alexander elected to not tender them a lease.

as Rumblick pointed out, the difference w/ what is now Lehigh Valley is the franchise was also spun out from underneath the Comcast banner and sold to owners who ran WB/S.... among other franchises and Flyer and Pen fans don't necessarily acknowledge the other's existence.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 07-03-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Play nice
CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:56 PM
CJNewman

What are you talking about you quote a post I talk about my birthday and turn it into some incoherent babble about Houston. Seriously I am truly fascinated by you.

Old
07-09-2014, 09:57 PM
RFA

The team joked that they'd be moved to Houston, like the Chiefs would be moved to Florida in Slap Shot.