HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Premature 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread

View Poll Results: Best suited player for Oilers
Barzal 2 9.09%
Strome 5 22.73%
Zacha 8 36.36%
Rantanen 1 4.55%
White 3 13.64%
Connor 3 13.64%
Franzen 0 0%
Harkins 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-09-2014, 06:18 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Lawson Crouse is definitely a kid to watch this year. Should get a lot more opportunity this year to use his 6'3 200lb frame to score for the Kingston Frontenacs. Has size, can use it.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=205155

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

vCash: 500
McDavid/Echiel
RNH
Draisaitl

One can only hope.

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 03:52 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager View Post
McDavid/Echiel
RNH
Draisaitl

One can only hope.

The Oilers would be better off going for McDavid or Eichel since the chance of making the playoffs this season is 0.000000000000000......You get the point.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 06:40 AM
oilerfan17

Quote:
McDavid/Echiel
RNH
Draisaitl

One can only hope.
The only way I want that to happen is if the Oilers finish just outside the playoffs and win the lottery. There needs to be improvement this year, and as good as McDavid is, finishing last or almost last again doesn't move this team further ahead.

In looking through lists like draftsite, and I know that this is extremely early, it seems like there's a good amount of size available in the top half of the first round but then players get smaller as the round evens out. I'd love to continue the Nurse-Draisaitl trend of drafting skilled guys that also have a physical component, either in being nasty or in protecting the puck.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
In a perfect world, we're picking 15th and Greenway is still there.
30th

Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
glassbangers
"I home."

Am I the only one who would take Hanifin over Eichel if we were drafting 2nd overall?

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Am I the only one who would take Hanifin over Eichel if we were drafting 2nd overall?
At this point I don't know the difference (in terms of ability), between those 2 players, but I would still take Eichel myself. What I saw of Eichel at the WJHC at the same-ish age of McDavid was extremely impressive, he's a #1 center in my mind, and that's massive.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:01 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

im a huge matt Barzal fan, he was great in the u18's

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:14 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

If for some reason Oilers got their hands on Eichel via lotto top 5 changes, I would use the 2nd round on a RH Dman. Considering this is a stacked draft year, it wouldn't surprise me if Rasmus Andersson drops.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
If for some reason Oilers got their hands on Eichel via lotto top 5 changes, I would use the 2nd round on a RH Dman. Considering this is a stacked draft year, it wouldn't surprise me if Rasmus Andersson drops.
That change isn't supposed to happen until 2016. The proposed changes for next year are levelling the % for lottery teams (30th may get scaled back to 18-20% vs the current 25%, 10th-14th might see a 1-2% bump), but it is subject to a vote. 30th picks no worse than 2nd next year.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

Lots of big guys in this draft class.. Last year I was hoping for a center all year unless Ekblad was there.. this year I'm hoping for size. Don't care what position.
The Oilers' blueline has plenty of height in both the NHL and the junior/AHL. The NHL team looks something like

6'4"-6'3"
6'4"-6'3"
5'11"-6'2"
6'6"

and then you have Nurse (6'4"), Klefbom (6'3"), Gernat (6'5") and Musil (6'3"). The little guys down in OKC are the 6'2" Davidson and Simpson. They may need to add some muscle to their frames but they aren't undersized. If there's a 6' RHD in range of the Oilers' pick I don't think he should be ignored just because he's not huge.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:56 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
McDavid/Echiel
RNH
Draisaitl

One can only hope.
Set for the next 15 years .

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:53 AM
Oilers4life1987

Hey guys, I was wondering which player would best suit the Oilers 2015 draft. Hopefully it's not another top 10 pick but even at that players fall and some surprise too. Would it be a C or D? Also, name a few players that would help us down the road. Here are some options as line combos go for top 9:

A) Hall -RNH - Ebs
Zacha- Drai - Yak
Moroz - Yak2 - Chase

or

B) Hall-RNH-Ebs
DP - LD - Yak/Barzal
Moroz - Yak2 - Chase

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Kylington and hope for Svechnikov to drop to the 2nd round.

or

Greenway and hope for Rasmus Andersson to drop to the 2nd round.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 10:39 AM
TheNugeeToHall*
Draft Junkie

Hey guys, Here is my list for the 2015 draft, maybe puts are picks in perspective, I know a lot can happen but...
1. Connor McDavid C Erie (OHL)
2. Jack Eichel C Boston University (NCAA)
3. Noah Hanifin D St. Sebastian's School (HS-MA)
4. Matthew Barzal C Seattle (WHL)
5. Travis Konecny C Ottawa 67's (OHL)
6. Oliver Kylington D Farjestads BK (SEL)
7. Colin White C Noble & Greenough School (HS-MA)
8. Pavel Zacha LW Liberec White Tigers (Czech)
9. Kyle Connor C Youngstown (USHL)
10. Mitch Marner C London (OHL)
11. Mikko Rantanen C TPS Turku (SM-liiga)
12. Dylan Strome C Erie (OHL)
13. Daniel Sprong RW Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)
14. Zack Werenski D US-Under-18 (USAH-NTDP)
15. Evgeni Svechnikov LW Kazan (KHL)
16. Jérémy Roy D Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
17. Jordan Greenway LW US-Under-18 (USAH-NTDP)
18. Nicholas Roy C Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
19. Paul Bittner LW Portland (WHL)
20. Rasmus Andersson D Malmo (Allsvenskan)
21. Nick Merkley C Kelowna (WHL)
22. Ryan Pilon D Brandon (WHL) (OHL)
23. Jeremy Bracco RW US-Under-17 (USAH-NTDP)
24. Aleksi Saarela C Lukko Rauma (SM-liiga)
25. Lawson Crouse LW Kingston (OHL)
26. Nathan Noel C Saint John (QMJHL)
27. Blake Speers C Sault Ste. Marie (QMJHL)
28. Erik Cernak D Bratislava (Slovak)
29. Matthew Spencer D Oakville (OJHL)
30. Ryan Gropp LW Seattle (WHL)

Just Missed (No order)

31. Gustaf Franzen C HV71 (SEL) (KHL)
32. Julius Nättinen C JYP Jyvaskyla (SM-liiga)
33. Nicholas Boka D US-Under-17 (USAH-NTDP)
34. Alexei Platonov D Mytishchi (KHL)
35. Anthony John Greer LW Kimball Union Academy (HS-NH)
36. Fredrik Forsberg RW Leksands (Allsvenskan)
37. Nicolas Meloche D Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)
38. Sebastian Aho LW Kärpät (SM-liiga)
39. Ivan Provorov D Wilkes- Barre/Scranton (Atlantic Jr.)
40. Brendan Warren LW US-Under-17 (USAH-NTDP)
41. Filip Ahi LW HV71 (SEL)
42. Alexandre Carrier D Gatineau (QMJHL)

TheNugeeToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 06:21 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is a very good draft for us to take the next step in, and still get a great player. Just from the OHL prospects that I have seen, this draft is just dirty.

I think a reasonable expectation for our team would be drafting in the 8-12 range. Obviously if we draft higher, we get an even better player, but I think in the 8-12 range we get a player as good as Draisaitl.
In a way i am happy we sucked when we did. We have gotten a lot of talented players to build around. The top end of the 15 draft are franchise guys but im not going to complain because we already have those guys and to me i think the development of most of our core prospects is going to allign nicely. What we need is a complimentary player and in this deep draft i think we can get that guy.

Personally if there is a way to get another teams 1st and sell ours at high value to gain a needed asset...i would like to do that.

I think we have the ability to make some moves in the season to fix any problems...and we already have a team much stronger for our division and team-play goals against defense. This is definitely a year we can make some serious improvements and even make the playoffs yet still get a needed big talent prospect. Its likely...hopefully...our last major piece for a long time.

From an oilers perspective....after this year i think its more beneficial to have players that are going to devvelop outside the nhl team for 2-3 years before seeing nhl action. Some say we sucked at the wrong time...i dont agree.

I like Strome...i am believing he moves up in the prospect lists...and i hope and i believe we wont be anywhere near him with our own pick. Trades can happen in season or at draft.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 06:30 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
The Oilers' blueline has plenty of height in both the NHL and the junior/AHL. The NHL team looks something like

6'4"-6'3"
6'4"-6'3"
5'11"-6'2"
6'6"

and then you have Nurse (6'4"), Klefbom (6'3"), Gernat (6'5") and Musil (6'3"). The little guys down in OKC are the 6'2" Davidson and Simpson. They may need to add some muscle to their frames but they aren't undersized. If there's a 6' RHD in range of the Oilers' pick I don't think he should be ignored just because he's not huge.
From the day MacT took over, almost the entire team has been changed excluding the big name core draft picks. We have gotten much bigger and our defense is alot more solid below the hash marks and in defending the key.

Its actually an amazing make over in 13 months and included 10 months where 90% of the league couldnt move players due to cap and internal budget constraints (why so few trades were made during the entire year and why draft picks were the main commodity acquired by cap teams).

With one vision now, under MacT, we likely get a player to fit an exact need next draft. From internal analysis and also development time needed for certain positions, on average, i think we likely draft one more high end winger centre and let the d prospects develop for their time in the system. This system is starting to show it has the ability to develop players in all positions under nelson.
One of the best signs for the oilers future is nelson and his buyin to macTs speech that what he is doing with our AHL team is as important to us as an asst NHL coach and giving him that respect and attention. He has done a great job and him and his coaching staff need the acknowledgment and financial security they deserve.

Last edited by oilinblood: 07-13-2014 at 06:36 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 08:01 PM
40oz

Be really interesting to see where Strome goes, he's bigger and has out produced his brother so far. Also, Konecny is going to have a big year, kid is good.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Clearly we need to be focused on this a little more. Any reports on how any of these guys are doing in their summer training?

Also, given the foregone conclusion, should the Oilers look to move Nuge or Eberle, etc, for another 1st round pick. I wonder if you could get Buf's 1st rounder for Nuge, seeing as they have the Isles' pick.

The Oilers could walk out of the Draft with two of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin or Barzal

Old
07-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Clearly we need to be focused on this a little more. Any reports on how any of these guys are doing in their summer training?

Also, given the foregone conclusion, should the Oilers look to move Nuge or Eberle, etc, for another 1st round pick. I wonder if you could get Buf's 1st rounder for Nuge, seeing as they have the Isles' pick.

The Oilers could walk out of the Draft with two of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin or Barzal
I guess we can only hope so?

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
I guess we can only hope so?
Clearly people need to, to hope for anything else is simply out of the question.

Like I said, the season is a forgone conclusion at this point. Given that as the case, I would send Nurse and Draisaitl back to Juniors, Marincin and Klefbom back to the AHL, and even try to send down Schultz and Yak to season them, then just role with middling guys and finish the only place they can, that way atleast someone develops maybe.

Old
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Let's just trade Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Perron to Buffalo for both their draft picks. That way we can get McDavid, Eichel and Hanfin!

DeathbyCheerios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Let's just trade Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Perron to Buffalo for both their draft picks. That way we can get McDavid, Eichel and Hanfin!
Hey hey hey, don't go nuts, you keep Hall and atleast one of Eberle or Nuge.

Perron you probably trade for a 1st at some point, and then Yak's got no value, so AHL develop him because you can.

Old
07-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Oilers4life1987

Still early but here's my ideal 3 round draft.

1st round: One of the following players would be great: Zacha, Barzal, Connor, Strome, Konecny.
2nd round: Rasmus Andersson, Evgeni Svechnikov,Chase Pearson, Matteo Gennaro
3rd round: AJ Greer, A.Musil, M. Tretiak, C.Booth,

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Still early but here's my ideal 3 round draft.

1st round: One of the following players would be great: Zacha, Barzal, Connor, Strome, Konecny.
2nd round: Rasmus Andersson, Evgeni Svechnikov,Chase Pearson, Matteo Gennaro
3rd round: AJ Greer, A.Musil, M. Tretiak, C.Booth,
Probably not looking at a high enough as a group, and they can't draft him for obvious reasons.