HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 CBJ Offseason Thread III (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Old
06-30-2014, 10:56 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

vCash: 500
2014 CBJ Offseason Thread III (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m

#CBJ C Derek MacKenzie, RW Jack Skille and LW Blake Comeau all appear headed to free agency, w MacKenzie the biggest surprise of the group.

CBJWennberg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Socks
Stuff and Things Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

#CBJ C Derek MacKenzie, RW Jack Skille and LW Blake Comeau all appear headed to free agency, w MacKenzie the biggest surprise of the group.
RE: Mac: that SUCKS.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 11:06 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Going into tomorrow, factoring out all UFA's (MacKenzie, Schultz, Comeau, Skille) and keeping all RFA's. Here would be my lineup

Jenner - Joey - Horton
Hartnell - Anisimov - Atkinson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hjalmarsson - Letestu - Boll
Tropp, Frattin

JJ - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Prout
Erixon

Bob
McE

Having a hard time keeping Wennberg off the roster. I still think he's going to make it hard on management to send him down. Anyway, that's a pretty solid group with some depth. I just hope we keep MacKenzie still
No offense, but I hate that 4th line with a burning passion.

Mac's departure indicates to me that we'll be signing someone today.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Kev22

Quote:

Not signing D-Mac is a mistake IMO. But he is a fourth liner, so he was probably deemed replaceable.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 11:09 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

letting MacKenzie walk sounds like such an awful idea

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 11:10 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Sad to see DMac go, but good god did we have a lot of plugs that we needed to clear out.

Tropp, Frattin, MacKenzie, Boll, Comeau, Skille is WAY too much chaff in the bottom 6. JK and JD were speaking the truth about needing to add more skill. Lets see if they actually do something about it.

Old
06-30-2014, 11:52 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Spezza & Keslar turned down spots on our 4th line

so it will be interesting which direction we go eh?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 12:04 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

DMac was also the oldest player on the team, and after letting Umberger and Schultz go, we only have 4 players on the team aged 30 or older.. Wiz (30), Tyutin (31 soon), McBackup (31), Hartnell (32)

Old
07-01-2014, 12:07 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

including Johansen, Tropp, Frattin, and Savard (but not counting Erixon/Goloubef), our team's average age right now is like 26.06 or something ridiculously low

Old
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
thebus2288*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Sad to see DMac go, but good god did we have a lot of plugs that we needed to clear out.

Tropp, Frattin, MacKenzie, Boll, Comeau, Skille is WAY too much chaff in the bottom 6. JK and JD were speaking the truth about needing to add more skill. Lets see if they actually do something about it.
This.

Kulemin, Vrbata, Legwand and Cammaleri would all be legit additions. Stastny only if there really is a Johansen issue. What do you guys think about Stempniak, Whitney, Winnik or Boyle?

thebus2288* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:23 AM
major major

Quote:
Going into tomorrow, factoring out all UFA's (MacKenzie, Schultz, Comeau, Skille) and keeping all RFA's. Here would be my lineup

Jenner - Joey - Horton
Hartnell - Anisimov - Atkinson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hjalmarsson - Letestu - Boll
Tropp, Frattin

JJ - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Prout
Erixon

Bob
McE

Having a hard time keeping Wennberg off the roster. I still think he's going to make it hard on management to send him down. Anyway, that's a pretty solid group with some depth. I just hope we keep MacKenzie still
Great team. ****** 4th line would score half as much as last year's.

Quote:

"Adding skill" must have meant something to do with upgrading skill on the scoring lines. IF it meant letting Derek Mackenzie go then Jarmo needs to be fired and fired quickly. D-Mac is skilled for a 4th liner. Realistically Jarmo doesn't think that Mackenzie should go to accommodate skill, but I have to wonder what he is thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
This.

Kulemin, Vrbata, Legwand and Cammaleri would all be legit additions.
No, not this. You don't let Mackenzie go to bring in Mike Cammaleri, etc... Those decisions have nothing to do with each other. Different lines.

Last edited by major major: 07-01-2014 at 02:29 AM.
major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 04:39 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
No, not this. You don't let Mackenzie go to bring in Mike Cammaleri, etc... Those decisions have nothing to do with each other. Different lines.
It's about numbers and budget. We still have plenty of guys who can slide down into a 4th line role. You can't sign a Cammalleri, Vrbata, etc if you already have 18 forwards in house. Putting DMac's potential money toward a more skilled guy is fine with me.

Old
07-01-2014, 04:57 AM
Tulipunaruusu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Another name I'll throw out is Leo Komarov. He played for Jarmo at the Olympics, he's a third line RW. I'm guessing, not much would be need to make a signing like that. It would bump Atkinson up to the second line. That would make really four tough, gritty lines that would make us tough to play against. There's not a ton of skill there, but a lot of hard work and toughness.
Actually signing him is fairly complicated since there should be multiple suitors... Intelligent defensive forward, pest, hard hitter with good skating ability and character in same guy...

In MacKenzie the question could be his age... and of course pay and term... Wouldn't be the first guy to lose some of his game with aging.

Tulipunaruusu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 05:25 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Based on Jarmo's comments in the rag this morning, we can all go about our lives today.

Old
07-01-2014, 05:29 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Based on Jarmo's comments in the rag this morning, we can all go about our lives today.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ee-agency.html

True. Its a bit disappointing but not unexpected.

My dark horse pick to be signed to replace D-Mac - Dominic Moore.

Edit: Just noticed that Moore is 33. I thought he was younger. I guess he is very unlikely.

Last edited by EspenK: 07-01-2014 at 05:38 AM.
EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 05:34 AM
donniedarko

Quote:
I still think we go after someone, and if we do...Atkinson gets traded. I don't trust what any of them have to say about this matter.

donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 05:51 AM
EspenK

As of right now we have 11 F' signed and 6 D (with Erixon & Golo qualified). Maybe we're headed for a 13 F - 8 D roster since we will have a bunch of guys in Springfield for recall in case of injury.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:09 AM
BluejacketNut

I'll add to the disappointment in letting Mac go, he's the perfect 4th liner. But I guess when youre throwing money away at a guy like Boll, you have to play him. Tell Mac Boll has his money

Last edited by BluejacketNut: 07-01-2014 at 06:15 AM.
BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:53 AM
pete goegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeFinn View Post
letting MacKenzie walk sounds like such an awful idea
DMac is being allowed to test the market, that doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. It may, of course, but he's still free to re-sign here, if that's what both parties want. I'd like to see him back, of course, but I'll be happy for him if he get a nice raise elsewhere, because he deserves it - one of my favorite Jackets, always gave every shift everything he had.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:57 AM
CBJSlash

How many years can you give a 33 year old 4th line center? If he wants anything longer than 2 years, I'd be hesitant and he can probably get 3-4 years from 6-8 teams.

This could be his last contract and probably hasn't made a ton of bank. If he can cash something closer to 2 million over 3 or 4 years, more power to him. Retiring with closer to 10 million dollars than just 5 million is the difference between having to work a job and maybe not.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
How many years can you give a 33 year old 4th line center? If he wants anything longer than 2 years, I'd be hesitant and he can probably get 3-4 years from 6-8 teams.

This could be his last contract and probably hasn't made a ton of bank. If he can cash something closer to 2 million over 3 or 4 years, more power to him. Retiring with closer to 10 million dollars than just 5 million is the difference between having to work a job and maybe not.
Exactly. I love Mac but this is likely his last contract and he needs to cash in. If he can get a 3 or 4 year deal he needs to take it. The jackets can't give him that.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:00 AM
WashedUp

So Frattins 4 games with one assist and abundant press box time must have been impressive to earn a QO. .....and then letting DMac walk. Not quite understanding this one

WashedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:02 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashedUp View Post
So Frattins 4 games with one assist and abundant press box time must have been impressive to earn a QO. .....and then letting DMac walk. Not quite understanding this one
My guess is that Dmac made it clear that he wanted to test the market and Frattin was kept around as insurance because he's more likely to accept a 2 way deal than Comeau or Skille.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:05 AM
EDM

They are not putting DMac's money towards a "more skilled" guy. You can't get a more skilled 4th liner than DMac. Our fourth line was one of our strengths last year. It does not seem like that will be the case in this coming. It will be more of a garden variety group of "meh" like we have had in the past. What a horrible decision.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:08 AM
EDM

Darko, why in the name of Gordie Howe would they trade Atkinson, who is under contract and under their control, and is also their third leading goal scorer with room for growth?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote