HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's been a year since the Jackets drafted three

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
  #1
Tom13Falcons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
It's been a year since the Jackets drafted three

The blue jackets drafted three first rounders last year (Wennberg, Rychell and Dano). You could probably say that the jackets most definetly improved their prospect rankings by a good margin. There are several players that are not getting talked about as much like Dansk, Tynan, Chaput, Heatherington, Anderson, Bjorkstrand etc.....

At what level do you think each of theese individul players will be at? Obviously some in Columbus, AHL, some in college and others in junior leagues. Which ones will be at each level?

Tom13Falcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 12:07 PM
  #2
Cash for Nash
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom13Falcons View Post
The blue jackets drafted three first rounders last year (Wennberg, Rychell and Dano). You could probably say that the jackets most definetly improved their prospect rankings by a good margin. There are several players that are not getting talked about as much like Dansk, Tynan, Chaput, Heatherington, Anderson, Bjorkstrand etc.....

At what level do you think each of theese individul players will be at? Obviously some in Columbus, AHL, some in college and others in junior leagues. Which ones will be at each level?
All in the minors for another year I believe.

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 03:42 PM
  #3
BoonesJenner
Registered User
 
BoonesJenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 250
Wennberg is the only one really with the potential to make the team out of camp, if not he, Rychel and Dano are penciled in at Springfield. Bjorkstrand and Heatherington are definitely going back to play for their juniors teams and Sonny Milano is going to play for BC

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
  #4
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
Wennberg will only make the CBJ if it's in a top-6 role, IMO ... so pencil him in for Springfield as well.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
  #5
ernmorris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom13Falcons View Post
The blue jackets drafted three first rounders last year (Wennberg, Rychell and Dano). You could probably say that the jackets most definetly improved their prospect rankings by a good margin. There are several players that are not getting talked about as much like Dansk, Tynan, Chaput, Heatherington, Anderson, Bjorkstrand etc.....

At what level do you think each of theese individul players will be at? Obviously some in Columbus, AHL, some in college and others in junior leagues. Which ones will be at each level?
With D-Mac moving on, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chaput make the big squad this year. He was one of the final cuts and didn't look out of place when he was up last year.

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 10:04 PM
  #6
Milltec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
anyone know how some of the lesser known prospects have been coming along?

i.e. Heatherington, soberg, moutrey, and the like?

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 10:12 PM
  #7
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milltec View Post
anyone know how some of the lesser known prospects have been coming along?

i.e. Heatherington, soberg, moutrey, and the like?
Yes...

Heatherington will be back for one more year in Speedy Creek, and is probably another year after that from being a full-time NHLer. He's well on his way though ... big, mobile, good in all three zones. He had a solid year with the Broncos, really allowed Julius Honka the freedom to play as a fourth forward when necessary. Has a big shot too.

Soberg is progressing about as expected from a late round pick. Had some injury woes this year but was good when he played. I thought this was an excellent pick when it was made, and I still do. Soberg has the potential to be a nice late round find. I would love to see him come over to North America soon, rather than later.

Moutrey is coming along similarly to Josh Anderson, and should be on a similar timeline and projection. He's going to be a banger if he makes it ... not much in the form of top-6 skill here.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
  #8
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Wennberg will only make the CBJ if it's in a top-6 role, IMO ... so pencil him in for Springfield as well.
C'mon SL we all know he's going to anchor the 4th line this year.

I agree if he isn't ready for the top 6 then a year in Springfield is best for him and the team.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:20 AM
  #9
Milltec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Yes...

Heatherington will be back for one more year in Speedy Creek, and is probably another year after that from being a full-time NHLer. He's well on his way though ... big, mobile, good in all three zones. He had a solid year with the Broncos, really allowed Julius Honka the freedom to play as a fourth forward when necessary. Has a big shot too.

Soberg is progressing about as expected from a late round pick. Had some injury woes this year but was good when he played. I thought this was an excellent pick when it was made, and I still do. Soberg has the potential to be a nice late round find. I would love to see him come over to North America soon, rather than later.

Moutrey is coming along similarly to Josh Anderson, and should be on a similar timeline and projection. He's going to be a banger if he makes it ... not much in the form of top-6 skill here.
Awesome updates SL. Really appreciate them. I was really hoping to hear Heatherington coming along as expected and that he was still projecting as an NHL player. Heres to hoping he takes another step this year!

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:26 AM
  #10
alphafox
Registered User
 
alphafox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Wennberg: AHL, We roll three scoring lines, but he's just not ready to replace Anisimov, and I figure he is going to be kept at center. Let him center a top line in the AHL and dominate while he learns.

Dano: NHL, I believe he could be the third line winger on the Anisimov line, though it is a toss up. Plus he is probably the most physically ready due to his time in the KHL.

Rychel: AHL, probably the most physically imposing player of the three, however he likely will be another we save for a top six roll, while he plays top line minutes.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:11 PM
  #11
Koira
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
I think Marko Dano has the best chance to make the team.

Koira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:33 PM
  #12
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
I think Kirby Rychel is the most likely to maker he team. He's performed at a tremendous level offensively in the WHLs, has been a leader and clutch performer. Plus he plays a physical enough game to play a primarily defensive role while learning. Picture he and Test Tube on the same line and you have grinders who could score. I don't think he's ready yet, but I think if anyone makes the team it will be he.

Wennberg needs another year or two of seasoning most likely but has performed well in a man's league. Again, he has a chance but really needs a top six opening. Not yet unless I'm surprised.

I thank Dano may turn out to be a bust. True he was playing in the KHL at a young age, and that will help, but didn't perform all that well, was limited to a grinder's role and often scratched. He played well during the brief time he was in Springfield but hardly set the world on fire. Of the three, he's the one I think least likely to make the Jackets. I'm not sure he'll ever see any NHL minutes in Columbus. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:35 PM
  #13
BoonesJenner
Registered User
 
BoonesJenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 250
Eh i see Rychel being more ready than Dano. Similar to. jenner, he plays the NHL style of hockey already, just needs to focus on a few things to make the jump. Should be a interesting season to say the least!

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:43 PM
  #14
stevo61
Registered User
 
stevo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Eh i see Rychel being more ready than Dano. Similar to. jenner, he plays the NHL style of hockey already, just needs to focus on a few things to make the jump. Should be a interesting season to say the least!
I definitely don't think Rychel is more ready, there's a lot more for him to learn and I think the AHL would be good. Dano has already played pro hockey, is very responsible defensively and is a competitor that can fit on a 3rd or 4th line

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
  #15
BoonesJenner
Registered User
 
BoonesJenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
I definitely don't think Rychel is more ready, there's a lot more for him to learn and I think the AHL would be good. Dano has already played pro hockey, is very responsible defensively and is a competitor that can fit on a 3rd or 4th line
4min/game in the KHL is hardly a learning experience, and he really hasn't had that much time in Springfield yet. Im not saying either of them will be ready this year but i see Rychel like Jenner in the sense that he absolutely dominated in his last year if eligibility of Jr's and showed massive improvements every season. A year of AHL experience would do them both wonders, but I see Rychel being able to hop on the 3rd or 4th line and already being able to go to the gritty areas and score the garbage goals.

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:07 PM
  #16
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 5,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
I definitely don't think Rychel is more ready, there's a lot more for him to learn and I think the AHL would be good. Dano has already played pro hockey, is very responsible defensively and is a competitor that can fit on a 3rd or 4th line
To be fair, a lot of people seem to care most about losing DMac because of his motor. Dano definitely has a great motor. Wouldn't be too bad of a replacement.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:24 PM
  #17
stevo61
Registered User
 
stevo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
4min/game in the KHL is hardly a learning experience, and he really hasn't had that much time in Springfield yet. Im not saying either of them will be ready this year but i see Rychel like Jenner in the sense that he absolutely dominated in his last year if eligibility of Jr's and showed massive improvements every season. A year of AHL experience would do them both wonders, but I see Rychel being able to hop on the 3rd or 4th line and already being able to go to the gritty areas and score the garbage goals.
He doesn't skate hard enough and isn't responsible enough on the defensive side to step into a bottom 6 role yet. If he had Jenner's work ethic? Definitely, he has everything else going for him but Dano is more polished. Was the KHL a great experience? No not really but it's still experience

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:53 PM
  #18
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
I think having any of them on the team could be a mistake, but that being said, the biggest need on the team is for a scoring winger. Kerby Rychel fits that need. Whether or not he's ready is the question, but if he could make the lineup and score anywhere between 17-25 goals (have a Jenner or better rookie year), then there's nothing wrong with having him here.

His style dictates that he'll score at least some goals. The question is, will the rest of his game be close enough to ready? Learning the pro game is a BIG step from juniors.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:57 PM
  #19
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 15,327
vCash: 500
I'm terrified that we're having this discussion. I don't want any of these guys anywhere near the big club for at least another season.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:12 AM
  #20
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Wennberg will only make the CBJ if it's in a top-6 role, IMO ... so pencil him in for Springfield as well.
This where I'm at. We MIGHT see one of the 3 up here at some point this season. Wennberg looks to have the greatest potential, but I actually feels he needs a year in the AHL more than the other two because of his game and role.

Johansen took 3 years post draft, and he was a solid 4th overall.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.