HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta Discussion Thread

Old
07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Leelee Phoenix

vCash: 50
Because Gionta will be hitting the age where players rarely still succeed by his 2nd year, and it may be difficult to dispose of him.

Leelee Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Slapshot85

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
Because Gionta will be hitting the age where players rarely still succeed by his 2nd year, and it may be difficult to dispose of him.
He's not here to be a star, nor do we want him to be. He's here to add leadership, character, and some skill. He'll be off the books just as the young players will start to take over. The timing of his contract is perfect.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
26CornerBlitz

SABRES SIGN GIONTA TO THREE-YEAR CONTRACT
Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 1, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Brian Gionta to a three-year contract.

Gionta (5'7", 176 lbs., 1/18/79), a 12-year NHL veteran, has spent the past five seasons playing for the Montreal Canadiens, serving as the team’s captain since the 2010-11 season. Prior to the Canadiens, Gionta played seven seasons with the New Jersey Devils, including the 2002-03 Stanley Cup-winning Devils squad. With the Canadiens in 2013-14, he totaled 40 points (18+22) through 81 regular-season games played and added seven points (1+6) in 17 playoff games.

In his 12 NHL seasons, Gionta has amassed 485 points (249+236) in 776 regular-season games. He has also recorded 45 game-winning goals, 74 power-play goals and a plus-65 rating. He has appeared in 112 playoff games, registering 68 points (32+36). In the 2005-06 season, Gionta set the Devils franchise record for goals in a season with 48.

A native of Rochester, N.Y., Gionta was drafted by the Devils in the third round (82nd overall) of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. He played four seasons at Boston College (1997-98 – 2000-01), captaining the Eagles to a national championship in 2000-01.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Dubi Doo

Awesome mentor for the youngsters, and he's from my hometown!

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:26 PM
26CornerBlitz

@Dave_Stubbs

Feature column on ex #Habs captain Brian Gionta, leaving for #Sabres w/ head up, relishing his Montreal experience http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...479/story.html

Old
07-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

(That first goal was an OT winner in their season finale IIRC)

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Can't really go wrong with Gionta if you have the cap space. At his size and with that salary, the Habs just couldn't justify keeping him. But he is a responsible player and he "knows the game". He's a bit robotic in terms of his leadership, but it comes from the right place, he knows what to say and when, and players universally respect him. That the Habs wanted him back at all really speaks to the respect the organization has for his character.

On the ice, I think the biggest decline for him has been in terms of his willingness to play in traffic. He still scored 18 goals, a lot in a bunch in the 2nd half, but I just found he wasn't always getting himself to the net the way he used to. The years of abuse have added up. Or Gallagher just kind of stole that thunder. But Gionta used to be a lot more involved and less conscious of his own size and mortality than he seems to be now. He'll mind his responsibilities at both ends, chip in offense, put most of his distance shots into the goalie's chest, but still score some and become a favourite of the coach.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Fine with the signing - player, term, cost. I suspect he'll ask to be moved in the 3rd year at the deadline if BUF is not headed for the playoffs.

Fine with him as Captain, if Nolan wants to go that route.

Don't believe this closes the door on Ott returning, but would not be surprised if Ott signs elsewhere (have not checked the transactions league-wide, so I may be behind on that...)

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Fine with the signing - player, term, cost. I suspect he'll ask to be moved in the 3rd year at the deadline if BUF is not headed for the playoffs.

Fine with him as Captain, if Nolan wants to go that route.

Don't believe this closes the door on Ott returning, but would not be surprised if Ott signs elsewhere (have not checked the transactions league-wide, so I may be behind on that...)
It should close the door on an Ott signing. He basically replaces Ott's role straight up, as a captain (whether he's named or not), as a third-line talent who might play in the top 6 on this team, as a PKer, as a 2nd unit PP guy, etc. I don't see any value in bringing Ott back at this point. The roster is currently "perfect" barring any trades. They won't have to force any kids into the line-up, but there's also not too much keeping those worthy from winning a job.

Reports after the Gionta and Moulson signings were that Buffalo no longer had interest in Ott.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:35 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It should close the door on an Ott signing. He basically replaces Ott's role straight up, as a captain (whether he's named or not), as a third-line talent who might play in the top 6 on this team, as a PKer, as a 2nd unit PP guy, etc. I don't see any value in bringing Ott back at this point. The roster is currently "perfect" barring any trades. They won't have to force any kids into the line-up, but there's also not too much keeping those worthy from winning a job.

Reports after the Gionta and Moulson signings were that Buffalo no longer had interest in Ott.
Thanks for the clarity. I understand. I would also infer, then, that BUF would move Ennis or Hodgson to wing and keep Reinhart up.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Bps21*

Hodgson finished the year at wing so I'd imagine he will stay there. Ennis probably stays at center though. Girgensons at center. Reinhart at center. I'd put Gionta immediately on Reinhart's wing with a big body on the other...either stewart or Foligno. Girgensons centers hodgson and either moulson or stafford. Ennis with whichever of stafford/moulson and Stewart/Foligno weren't used. The ennis/Girgensons lines are my top 2 and Reinhart plays more protected minutes and situations.

Or something different I'm not a coach lol.

Bps21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Thanks for the clarity. I understand. I would also infer, then, that BUF would move Ennis or Hodgson to wing and keep Reinhart up.
Between how I already felt, these moves, and Murray's press conference comments, there is 0% doubt in my mind that Reinhart makes the team unless he really blows it in camp. Whether he's at center or not I think would, rightly, be in question because it can be good for youngsters to break in at wing.

Re: Murray's PC, he was asked if the moves make it easier to keep Reinhart up. He said yes, because if you have him up you must protect him by having quality players in the line-up. The way he answered it included referring to Reinhart being in the line-up as if it were a foregone conclusion, then felt compelled to give the caveat "unless he doesn't look ready in camp" (paraphrased).

Old
07-01-2014, 09:24 PM
couture23

Quote:
Between how I already felt, these moves, and Murray's press conference comments, there is 0% doubt in my mind that Reinhart makes the team unless he really blows it in camp. Whether he's at center or not I think would, rightly, be in question because it can be good for youngsters to break in at wing.

Re: Murray's PC, he was asked if the moves make it easier to keep Reinhart up. He said yes, because if you have him up you must protect him by having quality players in the line-up. The way he answered it included referring to Reinhart being in the line-up as if it were a foregone conclusion, then felt compelled to give the caveat "unless he doesn't look ready in camp" (paraphrased).
I got that sense too. Fully behind it too, can't wait to see him in blue and gold on the ice.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Leelee Phoenix

I'd rather have Reinhart paired with the best talent if you're going to keep him here. Build rapport with the guys he'll be working with for years. No Grigorenko situation anymore with 'earning your spot' crap, plox.

Old
07-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Bps21*

Quote:
I'd rather have Reinhart paired with the best talent if you're going to keep him here. Build rapport with the guys he'll be working with for years. No Grigorenko situation anymore with 'earning your spot' crap, plox.
I was going to say that you don't put your best talent in reduced shifts to bring along an 18 year old.

Then I remembered who we are.

And now I agree.

Bps21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 10:07 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Thats not how it works.You not only earn you spot you learn about playing in the league and you get sheltered while doing so. Before the excitement of Mackinnon in the playoffs, he started in the bottom 6 and slowly worked his way into the top 6 as a winger, not center. He was never handed anything, he earned it.

I'm surprised that the importance of this concept keeps escaping some posters.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps21 View Post
I was going to say that you don't put your best talent in reduced shifts to bring along an 18 year old.

Then I remembered who we are.

And now I agree.
Actually, that's exactly what you do. Hardly any 18 year old's get handed top line responsibility to start with. Why? Because it's ridiculous. It's harder playing on a top line. Seth Jones was in the top pairing... later in the season. MacKinnon was in the top 6... later in the season. So long as you give him decent linemates, the ice time doesn't matter, and it's better that he sees the ice against inferior competition. Reinhart can absolutely play on our "third" line. It's not like we have actual top line players anyhow.

The problem with Grigorenko was that he wasn't ready.

Old
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
It should close the door on an Ott signing. He basically replaces Ott's role straight up, as a captain
I agree.

Ott/Weber leadership/friendship replaced with Gionta/Georges leadership/friendship

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
He does need to earn those chances. The difference between him now and Grigorenko then is that Reinhart is actually probably ready to do that. Grigs wasn't.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

TSN coverage of signing:

Old
07-01-2014, 11:58 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats not how it works.You not only earn you spot you learn about playing in the league and you get sheltered while doing so. Before the excitement of Mackinnon in the playoffs, he started in the bottom 6 and slowly worked his way into the top 6 as a winger, not center. He was never handed anything, he earned it.

Exactly. Yea, let's throw a rookie on the top line playing against top end veteran talent and see how he does.

God that's an awful idea.

Great signing. Slap on the C.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:24 AM
26CornerBlitz

@SabresPR
Brian Gionta will be available to the media today at 2 p.m. at First Niagara Center.

7/2/14: BRIAN GIONTA ON HOCKEY HOTLINE <20:34>

Last edited by 26CornerBlitz: 07-02-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added link to Gionta's Hockey Hotline Interview
Old
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

So just browsing some stats - you want to know how wide open NHL hockey was for the ONE season following the 04-05 lockout? Brian Gionta scored 48 goals.

In no other season has he scored 30.

Man, we had ourselves a hell of a league for a hot minute.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Leelee Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

That was true with McKinnon for the first month or so, but he was still playing with talent like Parenteau. There is the added difficulty with the Sabres that they are filled with bottom 6/borderline AHL forward talent. But still, if you force Samson with the likes of Foligno, he may be like a 40 point guy at best, and the RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE NOT WORKING HARD junk is going to start.

Old
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Yeah, a bottom 6 role on Colorado is very different from a bottom 6 role in Buffalo. A bottom 6 role in Buffalo may stunt him. If he's here, and I'm not sure he should be, he needs to play 2nd line minutes with guys who can score and gets lots of sheltered O zone starts. Maybe take the wing.

Centering Mitchell isn't going to help him develop his game. It doesn't have to be a ton of minutes, and it shouldn't be against top defense units, but it needs to be with guys who can play offense. He can't be playing with plugs.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote