HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MIN] Thomas Vanek [3 years, $6.5M AAV]

Old
07-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
And who are the Wild going to call up from Iowa if, or more likely when one of our top 9 wings gets hurt?

The Wild are thin at NHL-proven wings beyond their nHL roster. Zucker can provide something no one else in Iowa can, the ability to help offensively. Maybe Keranen will make him expendible at some point, but as of yet, we don't know.

Our pool of defensemen prospects is much deeper than out skilled forward pool if you want to make trades.
Nino moves up, Fontaine moves up, call up Bulmer for the 4th line.

But, yeah, I don't want to trade Zucker either.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
And who are the Wild going to call up from Iowa if, or more likely when one of our top 9 wings gets hurt?

The Wild are thin at NHL-proven wings beyond their nHL roster. Zucker can provide something no one else in Iowa can, the ability to help offensively. Maybe Keranen will make him expendible at some point, but as of yet, we don't know.

Our pool of defensemen prospects is much deeper than out skilled forward pool if you want to make trades.

So last year without Vanek, Zucker played 21 games and had a whopping 5 points. I don't think we need to start crying his name if he is traded for someone who can play each night.

Fletcher will add someone for added grit and Bulmer will get his shot again this year. Life will go on just fine without Zucker.

EDIT / ADD. I am all for keeping Zucker if he can round out his game but again, I won't lose sleep over him if there is a trade.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:22 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfTheWild View Post
I completely agree with this. While Parise, Granlund and Pominville showed great chemistry together last year, Parise has also shown really good chemistry with Koivu as well so I could definitely see Parise moving back with Koivu allowing Vanek to play with Pommer while still keeping Granlund and Pommer together with those two showing the best chemistry of any other players on the Wild last season. Add in how great Vanek and Pommers chemistry is together, and that just sounds like an absolutely deadly line combination!
Pominville is a playmaking RW'er with some sniper skills, when him and Vanek were on the same line, it was magic from time to time as the 2 were in interchangable roles. Sometimes V would feed Pomers, other times it was Pomers feeding V. I haven't seen enough of Granny to see what he brings to the table, but if he can fit in comfortably in that dual role scenario, that line will be deadly.

One thing on Vanek, don't expect much in the defensive zone, unlike Pomers who plays a solid 2 way game, V is all offense. You'll often see him floating by the defensive blueline waiting for the break out pass, so your D men and center better be prepared to move the puck up ice, and quickly. Do that, and they'll be a fantastic line in the transition game, do it not, and they flirt with what happened to them in Buffalo a great deal, getting hemmed in to their zone for to long. Their production isn't about cycling the puck, at least for V and Pomers, it's about positional play and setting up for the strike.

That is what happened a great deal in Buffalo with V and Pomers, and they did it successfully for the most part as a tandem, they always truly missed that 3rd cog in the wheel. In any event, I will be tuning in to watch some Minny games this year to see the former Sabres players work their magic once again.

Good luck this season Minny fans, and god speed.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:35 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Pominville is a playmaking RW'er with some sniper skills, when him and Vanek were on the same line, it was magic from time to time as the 2 were in interchangable roles. Sometimes V would feed Pomers, other times it was Pomers feeding V. I haven't seen enough of Granny to see what he brings to the table, but if he can fit in comfortably in that dual role scenario, that line will be deadly.

One thing on Vanek, don't expect much in the defensive zone, unlike Pomers who plays a solid 2 way game, V is all offense. You'll often see him floating by the defensive blueline waiting for the break out pass, so your D men and center better be prepared to move the puck up ice, and quickly. Do that, and they'll be a fantastic line in the transition game, do it not, and they flirt with what happened to them in Buffalo a great deal, getting hemmed in to their zone for to long. Their production isn't about cycling the puck, at least for V and Pomers, it's about positional play and setting up for the strike.

That is what happened a great deal in Buffalo with V and Pomers, and they did it successfully for the most part as a tandem, they always truly missed that 3rd cog in the wheel. In any event, I will be tuning in to watch some Minny games this year to see the former Sabres players work their magic once again.

Good luck this season Minny fans, and god speed.
I think part of the problem in Montreal is that fans were expecting something other than the way he normally plays. He's a goal scorer, plain and simple. He's never been a Selke candidate and never will. Goal scorers can also go hot and cold from time to time. The best way to use Vanek is to find him in from of the net and get him the puck.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:18 PM
57special

vCash: 50
I think that Poms has been defensively weak in the time he's played with the Wild.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:50 AM
DumbaTrain
YouWantSome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I think part of the problem in Montreal is that fans were expecting something other than the way he normally plays. He's a goal scorer, plain and simple. He's never been a Selke candidate and never will. Goal scorers can also go hot and cold from time to time. The best way to use Vanek is to find him in from of the net and get him the puck.
Exactly.

Cant wait to see Vanek - Granlund - Pominville in action.

Boooyaah!

DumbaTrain is offline   Reply With Quote