HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Curves: Release Point & Pocket

Old
06-21-2014, 03:29 AM
GrahamBot

vCash: 500
Curves: Release Point & Pocket

Hello,

Couple of questions about the release point and pocket of the curve. I know that generally the rule of thumb is that whatever the type of curve (heel, mid-heel, mid, mid-toe, toe) is generally where you should release the puck while shooting. Often I've heard that the easiest thing to remember is just shoot off the deepest part of the curve (which is the pocket). While on the other hand I've heard that sometimes the pocket and sweet spot/release point can be in two different areas!

I know other factors may play a role (like the way you shoot, the type of shot: snap, wrist, slap) however why isn't there an explanation for where the puck should be positioned and released for different types of shots on all the curves out there?

As a beginner I find if this was possible, it'd make sense to play around with a two piece and a bunch of curves to see what you'd like. And also rules out any possibilities like lie out of the equation from testing these curves.

Hopefully I was clear and maybe I'm over thinking it but like your advice!

GrahamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBot View Post
Hello,

Couple of questions about the release point and pocket of the curve. I know that generally the rule of thumb is that whatever the type of curve (heel, mid-heel, mid, mid-toe, toe) is generally where you should release the puck while shooting. Often I've heard that the easiest thing to remember is just shoot off the deepest part of the curve (which is the pocket). While on the other hand I've heard that sometimes the pocket and sweet spot/release point can be in two different areas!

I know other factors may play a role (like the way you shoot, the type of shot: snap, wrist, slap) however why isn't there an explanation for where the puck should be positioned and released for different types of shots on all the curves out there?

As a beginner I find if this was possible, it'd make sense to play around with a two piece and a bunch of curves to see what you'd like. And also rules out any possibilities like lie out of the equation from testing these curves.

Hopefully I was clear and maybe I'm over thinking it but like your advice!
That's a very good question you ask. Actually, there's more than one good answer, and I'll give you mine.
When I take a wrist shot, I always place the puck where the curve is the deepest, because it puts a lot of spin on the puck, allowing it to fly fast and accurately towards the target.
When I take a snap shot, I shoot off the toe if I want to shoot high, or off the mid-heel area to keep it low. I use a deep toe curve, which means that the mid-heel area is very flat. This kind of curve is really good for high, powerful snap shots.
When I take a slap shot, I use the mid-heel of the stick because you can get the maximum flex from your stick, the puck stays low, and it has tight spin. If you shoot off the toe, you'll have a "knuckle ball", and the shot will most likely be off target.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Sleepy
2014 Avenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
That's a very good question you ask. Actually, there's more than one good answer, and I'll give you mine.
When I take a wrist shot, I always place the puck where the curve is the deepest, because it puts a lot of spin on the puck, allowing it to fly fast and accurately towards the target.
When I take a snap shot, I shoot off the toe if I want to shoot high, or off the mid-heel area to keep it low. I use a deep toe curve, which means that the mid-heel area is very flat. This kind of curve is really good for high, powerful snap shots.
When I take a slap shot, I use the mid-heel of the stick because you can get the maximum flex from your stick, the puck stays low, and it has tight spin. If you shoot off the toe, you'll have a "knuckle ball", and the shot will most likely be off target.
Exactly this.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 03:13 PM
GrahamBot

So, I have the Sakic/Hall curve.

Wrist: Middle where the deepest part of the curve is.
Snap: Release at the mid-toe for high snap shot, mid heel for a low one.
Slap: Around the mid heel?

Is there a difference in terms of the size of the sweet spot of getting the shot off between different curves?

Ie. Drury vs Sakic as an example?

GrahamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 01:13 AM
jazzykat

regarding sweet spots, for me and taking slapshots there is a huge difference. a p9 has a much larger sweet spot than a sakic.

also I am told that I hit my slapshots with a sakic curve about 2/3 from the heel towards the toe and while they aren't lasers they are accurate.

I hate to say it but you need to find a way to take 100s of shots on and off ice with different curves. if you are oobserving all will fall in place.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:26 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBot View Post
So, I have the Sakic/Hall curve.

Wrist: Middle where the deepest part of the curve is.
Snap: Release at the mid-toe for high snap shot, mid heel for a low one.
Slap: Around the mid heel?

Is there a difference in terms of the size of the sweet spot of getting the shot off between different curves?

Ie. Drury vs Sakic as an example?
Absolutely, the sweet spot doesn't have the same size on every curve. The Sakic has a small sweet spot in the middle, and the Drury has a small sweet spot too, but towards the heel. The Ovechkin curve has a very large sweet spot for wrist shots, from the heel to the mid-toe area.

If you shot the same way with a Drury curve as with a Sakic, you'd send wrist shots flying into the glass, because it has the shape of a wedge and is very open.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I generally like to shoot from the deepest part of the curve, because that's where I like to carry the puck. I use a mid-toe curve (E28) and typically carry the puck between mid to mid-toe.

When it comes to slappers, I shoot closer to the mid/heel part of the blade because it's flatter.

For snappers, it's wherever I get the puck on my stick, but they would be higher towards the toe and lower towards the heel.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote