HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Moulson signs, 5 yrs / $5M per (NTC)

Old
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
jc17

vCash: 500
I love the fact that we're bringing in competent players to play with our youth.

Reinhart, Foligno, Girgensons, Risto, etc might develop well this year not playing with low quality teammates.

jc17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
I love the fact that we're bringing in competent players to play with our youth.

Reinhart, Foligno, Girgensons, Risto, etc might develop well this year not playing with low quality teammates.
Not only that, but guys who are also high character and no drama. Skilled guys who can and would be willing to be the mentor types this team needs.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
Not only that, but guys who are also high character and no drama. Skilled guys who can and would be willing to be the mentor types this team needs.
The exact type of guys Murray said he was looking to get.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:28 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinSauce View Post
Getting less worried about the cap floor and a bit more worried about the tank.
We don't have Miller, Ott, Vanek, or Hoff...
We're still gonna be icing a pretty bad defense and have a bunch of players who are ideally 2nd/3rd line forwards at best playing in our top 6.
I'm glad we're not trying to imitate the oiler tank of throwing all the youngsters into the fire even if they're not ready

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

Great deal. Might be a good winger for Reinhart

Other notes:

I despise the nickname GMTM. I think it should be banned.

I would not worry about the tank. They will improve, but still be in the running for McDavid, imo

Blue n Gold Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
We don't have Miller, Ott, Vanek, or Hoff...
We're still gonna be icing a pretty bad defense and have a bunch of players who are ideally 2nd/3rd line forwards at best playing in our top 6.
I'm glad we're not trying to imitate the oiler tank of throwing all the youngsters into the fire even if they're not ready
But having a bunch of 2nd liner as 3rd liners might be enough to not have the worst record in the league. And honestly THIS is the season to be the worst team, even if we only get 2nd overall, but squandering the chance to get another franchise player (a even better one than Reinhart) just for a few more wins, it's just not worth it.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
Great deal. Might be a good winger for Reinhart

Other notes:

I despise the nickname GMTM. I think it should be banned.

I would not worry about the tank. They will improve, but still be in the running for McDavid, imo
I hate that abbreviation stuff also. But it is a thing here on hf.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dire wolf
be cool

I don't like the NTC, but I'm happy to have Matty back in the fold. Tank or not, you need a few guys who can score. Also, he seems like a good veteran professional presence.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN 24m
When Moulson was traded to BUF from NYI, Pegula and wife reached out to him & wife (who had just had newborn son) and made him feel welcome

Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN 23m
Made a strong impression on Moulson, who really enjoyed his time in BUF. Always considered that as option to return even after trade to MIN

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:39 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
I hate NTC too but welcome back to Buffalo.

The Sabres just signed a core of veterans to help show the young guys how to be professionals. Like the moves made today by TM.

Ennis is likely to get paid as we need to add about 4.5M more

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
A quick visit to capgeek shows.......

We're now the 2nd lowest payroll. TAKE THAT, ISLANDERS! USA USA USA

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murray View Post

Nobody wants to play for the Islanders.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Moskau

Not a huge fan but Moulson must be well liked in the organization.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Puppa2Miller

He was just interviewed on NHL Network: He really emphasized how much he loved the Pegulas, Tim Murray, and Ted Nolan

I am sure money had a ton to do with it, but it sounds like Buffalo had any tie-breaker going for it

Puppa2Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:44 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murray View Post

Cap Geek is fantastic they had Gorges moved less than 3 minutes after it was announced.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The exact type of guys Murray said he was looking to get.
The phrase "culture change" tends to be heavily overused, but it really applies here. This is about creating the kind of culture where the future of this team can thrive.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:52 PM
joshjull

@BuffNewsVogl: Matt Moulson to Sportsnet: "My time in Buffalo was amazing. I really believe in what they're trying to accomplish."

Old
07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
@BuffNewsVogl: Matt Moulson to Sportsnet: "My time in Buffalo was amazing. I really believe in what they're trying to accomplish."
AW, let's give this mother****er a hug!

Even if you're not enthused about what he means for team tank, coming back, how can you say no to having a voice like this in the locker room with the kids? This is a respected vet around the league who's going to be telling them, yeah, us all are in the bottom 5 of the league, but we're on the road to better things, and I staked my UFA status on it!

The more I hear about this guy, the more I like it. Now, we may not be able to sleepwalk our way to Eichel, but I have faith that Murray is competent and willing to do what it takes to get us that pick. Today he's just making the atmosphere for development work alongside it.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 02:58 PM
joshjull

@BuffNewsVogl: Sabres' Matt Moulson to Sportsnet on Sam Reinhart: "I always enjoy playing with good passers. Ive heard nothing but great things about him"

Old
07-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
AW, let's give this mother****er a hug!

Even if you're not enthused about what he means for team tank, coming back, how can you say no to having a voice like this in the locker room with the kids? This is a respected vet around the league who's going to be telling them, yeah, us all are in the bottom 5 of the league, but we're on the road to better things, and I staked my UFA status on it!

The more I hear about this guy, the more I like it. Now, we may not be able to sleepwalk our way to Eichel, but I have faith that Murray is competent and willing to do what it takes to get us that pick. Today he's just making the atmosphere for development work alongside it.
Agree with this & to be honest I don't think the team's future hinges on getting McD or even Eichel in the next draft. They already have a great group of young players in the system. Already have atop prospect in Reinhart in an area the team has been lacking in years. And they already have three first round picks next draft, plus likely more seconds in what is considered as far as I know a deep crop of players. So even if they don't get lucky with (or play bad enough to get) a top two pick, logic would suggest they hit on at least one or two more with whatever picks they get. They also have the right man making decisions at the top who clearly knows what he is building.

The team has a great future, either way.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Bps21

Anyone who is afraid of the tank...I mean...you know Gionta isn't 25 right? He is here for the room and the leadership. Gorges was a great trade...but he isn't an upgrade over Erhoff...except in the room and the leadership. Moulson isn't an upgrade over...Moulson. And we downgraded in goal. Add to that that the two teams we were within 15 points of (jesus we were bad) both have good/great young players another year older and they didn't in any way get worse this offseason (and maybe overpaid...but added good players today)...

Back away from the ledge.

Bps21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 03:02 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

I love this move. He is a good locker room guy, wants to be here, and will be the perfect guy for Reinhart to set-up with his awesome passes. LOVE IT!

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Leelee Phoenix

vCash: 50
Quote:
The phrase "culture change" tends to be heavily overused, but it really applies here. This is about creating the kind of culture where the future of this team can thrive.
Because it's complete nonsense.

Leelee Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
"Culture change", "leadership", "good in the room" and all of those are certainly heavily overused cliches, but despite a certain person's pendulum swung satirically and obnoxiously in the other direction, they are real things. They're things the team at this particular point should value over quality of play to some extent, which is something I would not agree with under any other circumstances. For one thing, the team needs these players to want to be here. They also need the players to know that as important as their play is doing what they can to help the young players on and off the ice.

The Sabres weren't going to be able to bring in much in the way of truly quality players, but they did well in choosing players who bring more than their play, rather than guys who aren't any better and bring nothing else.

The NTC on Moulson at 5 years is a bit disconcerting, but he's the perfect linemate for Reinhart off the bat. Even if they don't play at even strength, he will help Samson produce on the PP, which is always a boon to young players adjusting to the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
Because it's complete nonsense.
Literally didn't see that coming. You should write a book about your extensive lockerroom experiences and brilliant insights.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 03:12 PM
26CornerBlitz

SABRES SIGN MOULSON TO MULTI-YEAR CONTRACT
Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 1, 2014) The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Matt Moulson to a multi-year contract.

Moulson (61″, 200 lbs., 11/1/83) re-joins the Sabres after finishing the 2013-14 season with 13 points (6+7) in 20 regular-season games and three points (1+3) in 10 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs as a member of the Minnesota Wild.

Originally acquired by the Sabres on Oct. 27, 2013 in a trade with the New York Islanders, Moulson registered 29 points (11+18) in 44 games with the Sabres in the 2013-14 season, before being traded to the Wild along with Cody McCormick in exchange for Torrey Mitchell and two draft picks. He led the Sabres in both goals and points at the time of the trade.

A native of North York, Ontario, Moulson was selected by Pittsburgh in the ninth round (263rd overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut with Los Angeles in 2007-08. In 397 regular-season games in seven seasons spent with the Kings, Islanders, Sabres and Wild, Moulson has recorded 275 points (141+134), adding six points (3+3) in 16 playoff games. Moulson ranks 13th among NHL players with 135 goals since his first full NHL season in 2009-10 and has scored 30 goals three times in his five full NHL seasons.

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote