HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks sign Brad Richards [1yr/$2M]

Old
07-08-2014, 11:29 AM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
I am still not sold on the idea of this guy playing with Kane. That could be a defensive disaster. I think people are forgetting in the euphoria of the big name signing that Richards is bad, Bad, BAD defensively.
I can't give him 3 'bads' either. Just one.
He'll have a top wing on his line too and Chicago has 2 very good offensive lines now so he'll be drawing out weaker offensive units that defend him (and Kane/Hossa/Sharp) or be out against weaker defenders than he can still exploit.

NYR never really had two good scoring lines like Chicago, and I think that allows Q to hide Richard's deficiencies a little better. I think cutting his icetime by a couple minutes and few shifts will make a big difference in all zones as well.

I'm not sure he'll get 20 and 30 but I don't think he'll stand out as a defensive liability like he did before either.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Richards is bad defensively. The idea that every C on the team needs to be a defensive ace is something that isn't true.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We needed an all offense C. I don't care if he's a minus player as long as he is producing 50-60 points, hopefully even a little more.
Did we? We missed #1 in the league in offense by two measly goals. We lost against the one contending team we played because of a neverending flow of goals against, we actually scored quite a few.

What we needed was a guy who would not drag down everyone around him like an anchor. I think Richards can probably be that guy, but I am not nearly as sold as him as you guys are. If he lets us roll three line offense more often then its great. If he is costing us more goals than he is creating, then not so much. And if he is as bad as he was after the first round this year, then there is no way we can play this guy with Kane and get away with it.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
If we're going to keep running Soviet era pass first PP's, we'll need Richards threading the needle out there.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:58 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
If we're going to keep running Soviet era pass first PP's, we'll need Richards threading the needle out there.
Well with Kompon being gone, The PP should hopefully make some changes.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Richards always was average in his own Zone. He still is.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:45 AM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksrule View Post
Richards is without question a bad defensive player now.
Brad Richards is the type of player the Chicago Blackhawks will get by with during the regular season, providing the goaltending holds up. As for the playoffs, oh boy!

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:42 AM
KingKane88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizNagi View Post
Haven't paid attention to the cap situation, but does someone HAVE to be moved?

If everyone stayed put, this roster is looking wicked.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Richards - Kane
Bickell - Shaw - Versteeg
Regin - Kruger - Smith

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
Leddy - Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta
Get Vertseeg out, repace him with TT , get Oduya out, replace him with anyone but him!!! Seriously, this guy is SO bad on defence he makes Cristobal Huet look like the greatest talent the Hawks ever had!!!!! Just BRUTAL how many times Oduya was just standing there by the net allowing goals to be scored!!!!! BRUTAL!!!!

KingKane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:54 AM
hawksrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKane88 View Post
Get Vertseeg out, repace him with TT , get Oduya out, replace him with anyone but him!!! Seriously, this guy is SO bad on defence he makes Cristobal Huet look like the greatest talent the Hawks ever had!!!!! Just BRUTAL how many times Oduya was just standing there by the net allowing goals to be scored!!!!! BRUTAL!!!!
No one in the organization is ready to fill his shoes, and there is no $$ to sign a second pairing ufa.

hawksrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
Brad Richards is the type of player the Chicago Blackhawks will get by with during the regular season, providing the goaltending holds up. As for the playoffs, oh boy!
Yep. (Just like Versteeg), assuming he is still a Blackhawk, the performance in the PO's are certainly a concern. Hawks can't afford either player to be a passenger in the post season. Unfortunately, in Richard's case, he has been demoted or benched in the last 2 PO series he was in (and by 2 different head coaches). Hopefully Richards is the first to recognize how important the upcoming season is, especially the post season, if he wants to remain in the NHL. I look forward to a renewed player working with a fresh slate.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKane88 View Post
I think you are confusing Oduya and Seabrook in playoffs

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Yep. (Just like Versteeg), assuming he is still a Blackhawk, the performance in the PO's are certainly a concern. Hawks can't afford either player to be a passenger in the post season. Unfortunately, in Richard's case, he has been demoted or benched in the last 2 PO series he was in (and by 2 different head coaches). Hopefully Richards is the first to recognize how important the upcoming season is, especially the post season, if he wants to remain in the NHL. I look forward to a renewed player working with a fresh slate.
And the year before that he and Lundqvist nearly led the Rangers to cup final

And this year he was one of the best Ranger forwards after 2 rounds. His poor final wasn't an indicator of his entire playoff performance

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote