HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks sign Brad Richards [1yr/$2M]

Old
07-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Taze em

vCash: 500
Worst case "Richards has lost it" scenario:

We are in the playoffs regardless. If he is truly brutal,

Sharp Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane

Hide Richards or just outright play Regin over him. This is essentially the same roster that was a bounce away
-----------------------------------------

Best case: Richards puts up 60 points between Saad and Kane.

Favorites to win the cup bigtime.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

regardless of what actual line he ends up on, this strengthens us down the middle. Good signing. IMO, you bring TT along slowly, and maybe by the time the POs role around, TT can be your 2C and Richards can be sheltered. Either way, we're better today than we were last week. You can't complain at all about our offseason considering the cap constraints we're under.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Beukeboom Fan

I think it's also fair to mention that on a one year deal - it's REALLY in Richards best interests to show up in September in great shape. When you're on a lifetime deal with the Rangers, probably a little less motivated to bust your arse in the summer on conditioning. A great bounce back year for Richards will likely get him another lucrative contract. If his downward trajectory continues - he could be done in short order.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Panarin
LoveYouRyanNash

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
What are we getting for Leddy?
picks, as it will be a salary dump. I see Versteeg going and not Leddy.

Panarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think it's also fair to mention that on a one year deal - it's REALLY in Richards best interests to show up in September in great shape. When you're on a lifetime deal with the Rangers, probably a little less motivated to bust your arse in the summer on conditioning. A great bounce back year for Richards will likely get him another lucrative contract. If his downward trajectory continues - he could be done in short order.
Richards knows that money is no object for the rest of his career, probably his life.

So yeah, if he wants to keep playing hockey, he's gambling on himself to prove he can do it at the highest level on this team. Contract years are always great motivators, and I expect it to work that way for Richards this year.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Seeing what other C are going for makes this deal look better and better. Bolland at 5.5, Richards at 2.2. For the same money I take Richards over Bolland and I am one of the rats biggest fans.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
If he still has something left we'll have the forward depth to compensate for our average goaltending again and should be dominant throughout the season like we were in 2013 including playoffs.

This signing suggests we'll lose a bit more deadweight, hopefully in the form of "they call me playoff performer because I get to play with Toews and Kane" Bickell.

There's this little voice in the back of my head, though, idly wondering "if 2m was the best offer this guy could get, just how far do the other GMs in the league think he has fallen? Is this another Brendan Morrison?" Yes, I see the quotes saying he wanted Chicago in particular, but that doesn't mean much after the fact.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:24 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Richards is actually only 2.0M.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
If he still has something left we'll have the forward depth to compensate for our average goaltending again and should be dominant throughout the season like we were in 2013 including playoffs.

This signing suggests we'll lose a bit more deadweight, hopefully in the form of "they call me playoff performer because I get to play with Toews and Kane" Bickell.

There's this little voice in the back of my head, though, idly wondering "if 2m was the best offer this guy could get, just how far do the other GMs in the league think he has fallen? Is this another Brendan Morrison?" Yes, I see the quotes saying he wanted Chicago in particular, but that doesn't mean much after the fact.
The guy is set for life with the money he's earned and will continue to earn on his bought-out contract.

He was obviously looking for the best fit.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

That's a good deal.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Pailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post

It may have been what he signed for, but I don't think 1 year for 2 million was the best he could get.

Pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
rick hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
I think it has to be a forward. If you trade Leddy, for example, you have to pay someone else to fill that defense position. There are now too man forwards. If you send one packing you don't have to add another to the payroll.

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Nothingman*

Versteeg hopefully will be gone. Bickell maybe next year.

Nothingman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Keep in mind I'm perfectly happy with the contract. I just didn't want him. Lazy, bad defensively, slow. But that was him on the Rangers. Could be a different case on the Hawks. He could get 70 points. Who knows? Unhappy with it now, but that could very well change.
I think if you pair him with Sharp and Hossa, who are both stalwart defensive forwards, and Richards will be fine. His biggest issue in New York was how reliant they were on him being a game changer consistently. The Hawks just need him to show up.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:45 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick hawk View Post
I think it has to be a forward. If you trade Leddy, for example, you have to pay someone else to fill that defense position. There are now too man forwards. If you send one packing you don't have to add another to the payroll.
Agree. Leddy for pick(s), unless it's a first, likely won't return a player with his potential. Hopefully we keep Leddy and move Oduya next year.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Rolo

Haven't paid attention to the cap situation, but does someone HAVE to be moved?

If everyone stayed put, this roster is looking wicked.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Richards - Kane
Bickell - Shaw - Versteeg
Regin - Kruger - Smith

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
Leddy - Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta

Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:55 PM
OhCaptainMyCaptain

Crazy how just this singing has changed a lot of people's perspective hardcore. It was a very nice signing, IMO, but this just shows that some of you were going a little crazy before this. Still love this move, though, I can't say that enough. Sure, I would have loved a Statsny, Kesler, Spezza, but the simply reality is that we just didn't have the room for that. And Bowman took that into consideration and made the best move he could. Plus I think some are throwing Richards under the bus way too fast. He's still got some left in him, and this one year contract may be perfect.

OhCaptainMyCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:56 PM
OhCaptainMyCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizNagi View Post
Haven't paid attention to the cap situation, but does someone HAVE to be moved?

If everyone stayed put, this roster is looking wicked.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Richards - Kane
Bickell - Shaw - Versteeg
Regin - Kruger - Smith

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
Leddy - Rozsival

Crawford
Raanta
Someone will have to be moved. But go take a look at the offseason thread, they can make some moves and still be looking fantastic.

OhCaptainMyCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

with our cap constraints, you seriously cannot complain about the player we just got. He has some risk, but anyone we could legitimately ice in that spot is going to have some risk. Once you get over the pipe dream names that would have never worked, this is about as good as it can get.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:01 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Incredibly low risk/high reward deal. I couldnt be happier with the deal. Kane learned to find Handzus's slow ass and use him enough. I'm excited to see Richards/Kane together...

Plus we didnt have to move Sharp to sign him... Gives us a year to look at TT and decide if he's ready full time next year. Amazing bandaid option.

ReLyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:03 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Brian Murray made it sound like the sens were in the process of finalizing a deal for a forward in return for a prospect. Maybe it involves us

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Pailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCaptainMyCaptain View Post
Crazy how just this singing has changed a lot of people's perspective hardcore. It was a very nice signing, IMO, but this just shows that some of you were going a little crazy before this.
Exactly this. The "Gimme now! I want it now!" crowd is ridiculous. From the sounds of it, the beginning of this move dates back to draft day. If this is the move that Stan wanted to make (and not be put in a position to have to move Sharp or a combination of 3-4 players) and thought this was a realistic possibility, he had to wait on Richards for a little bit. I have no doubt Richards made the decision to leave money on the table, because he certainly could have done better financially than one year for two million. Sorry it took him a couple hours to make that decision.

Last edited by Pailhead: 07-01-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:17 PM
realist99

What a steal for the Hawks. Even if all the knocks about him are true, he still could have gotten more money and term somewhere else. He may not be worth 5+ million anymore but he is sure worth more than 2 million.

realist99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCaptainMyCaptain View Post
Crazy how just this singing has changed a lot of people's perspective hardcore. It was a very nice signing, IMO, but this just shows that some of you were going a little crazy before this. Still love this move, though, I can't say that enough. Sure, I would have loved a Statsny, Kesler, Spezza, but the simply reality is that we just didn't have the room for that. And Bowman took that into consideration and made the best move he could. Plus I think some are throwing Richards under the bus way too fast. He's still got some left in him, and this one year contract may be perfect.
It HAD to happen. Speaking for myself, I wish I would have been a bit more intense about it. Again, job well done Stan.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Salvaged Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
It may have been what he signed for, but I don't think 1 year for 2 million was the best he could get.
Absolutely 100% this.

"If I was going to go to Chicago, it was going to be this way," Richards said on a conference call. "I didn't go into free agency thinking anything. I was very flexible coming in because I'm pretty confident I can still play a lot of hockey in this league. I just went to the Stanley Cup final. You get the itch when you get that far. You want to win.

"I saw an opportunity to play on a great team and fill a role, but also these guys are relevant every year. I just thought this was a great fit. It wasn't trying to be here long term. If it's one year, that's fine. Hopefully we can make it work. Who knows what can happen down the road. I can't predict that. I'm not really worried about it. I want to get there and enjoy this opportunity."

Obviously this guy wanted to play with us and was willing to take a small deal to make it happen. Money is secondary to him, he obviously just wants to win and get his hands on the cup.

Salvaged Ship is offline   Reply With Quote