HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2014, 07:26 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
So far, this offseason is a success only if the first objective was: Don't do anything stupid. Signing Zepp and Jones for the Phantoms are forgettable, and I'm underwhelmed with Emery as back-up / Mason's buddy.

I enjoy and appreciate the lack of splashy deals that we will all be lamenting before the season even starts. However, I'm looking forward to something that moves this team forward. Call me fickle. I'm trying to console myself that patience will indeed be the right move to get a great deal for Lecavalier, Grossmann, etc.

This waiting stuff. It's hard.

Old
07-01-2014, 07:27 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Wouldn't be a bad sign. Doubt he would cost much
Watched all his games with Jets. One of the laziest guys in the league, but when he tries , fast, physical and wicked shot. Could be his last chance, so one year deal may work if cheap

Old
07-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
So far, this offseason is a success only if the first objective was: Don't do anything stupid. Signing Zepp and Jones for the Phantoms are forgettable, and I'm underwhelmed with Emery as back-up / Mason's buddy.

I enjoy and appreciate the lack of splashy deals that we will all be lamenting before the season even starts. However, I'm looking forward to something that moves this team forward. Call me fickle. I'm trying to console myself that patience will indeed be the right move to get a great deal for Lecavalier, Grossmann, etc.

This waiting stuff. It's hard.
If Homer was this patient we wouldn't have had a stupid deal every off-season. Like no Bryzgslov or Lecavalier, for example.

Literally the only thing I can actually get on Hextall for so far is a Emery and that's a relatively minor thing honestly. If he fails to sign anyone decent then I'll definitely start to worry, but there's a whole summer for that. As for Lecavalier, it's been widely reported were waiting till the signing bonus is dealt with. It's also Homers leftover trash Hextall is dealing with here, hard to get angry at him for it.

Old
07-01-2014, 07:42 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Steve Ott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I sure hope Nott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
ew. rather have vrbata
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHextall View Post
say no to that idiot Steve Ott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Seconded. I want no part of Ott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
If we sign Ott, then **** this off season
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss View Post
If they sign him, I will buy a Nott jersey, but I really don't want to.

Well then all you guys will just have to be pissed when they sign Steve Ott.

Old
07-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Vincent Lecavalier received his $2 mil bonus today. Perhaps, a trade easier to facilitate now with that detail out of the way.

Old
07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Vincent Lecavalier received his $2 mil bonus today. Perhaps, a trade easier to facilitate now with that detail out of the way.

Old
07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Breeze 44

I'd really like McClement, Gleason and possibly Penner. That of course would have to be after trading Vinny and probably Grossman. We need some size with Giroux and Penner could fill that role and shouldn't be big money.

Penner-28-93
17-10-42
24-14-Umberger
12-McClement-15

32-5
47-Gleason
44-22

Old
07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
LVDucks238

Fistric for Vinny work for you guys?

Although, Murray is probably content to go into the season with Rakell and Thompson as our bottom 2 centers.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDucks238 View Post
Fistric for Vinny work for you guys?

Although, Murray is probably content to go into the season with Rakell and Thompson as our bottom 2 centers.
What's wrong with Rakell and Thompson as your bottom two centers? Especially when your top two centers are Getzlaf and Perry...

Lecavalier would be walking into a very similar situation in Anaheim if that were to happen.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:18 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
What's wrong with Rakell and Thompson as your bottom two centers? Especially when your top two centers are Getzlaf and Perry...

Lecavalier would be walking into a very similar situation in Anaheim if that were to happen.
Getzlaf and Kesler, I hate to be that guy sorry lol

Old
07-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
LeBrun says we were after B Richards.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
LVDucks238

Quote:

I just wouldn't feel comfortable handing the 3rd line center duties to a rookie. Rather make Rakell earn his spot on the team either on the wing or by supplanting Thompson. We lost 120 points of production down the middle between Bonino/Perreault/Koivu. Kesler I think, will put up 60 or so, but there's still a lot of offense that needs to be replaced IMO. Plus, it sounds like we're trying to get rid of one of Fistric/Allen after signing Stoner.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Getzlaf and Kesler, I hate to be that guy sorry lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDucks238 View Post
I just wouldn't feel comfortable handing the 3rd line center duties to a rookie. Rather make Rakell earn his spot on the team either on the wing or by supplanting Thompson. We lost 120 points of production, down the middle between Bonino/Perreault/Koivu. Kesler I think, will put up 60 or so, but there's still a lot of offense that needs to be replaced IMO. Plus, it sounds like we're trying to get rid of one of Fistric/Allen after signing Stoner.
That's fair, but playing a rookie is significantly mitigated by the awesome, responsible veteran center depth that you have.

I don't think Lecavalier would be your solution. His problem in Philly is that we just don't have the role to give him for his skills to be effective. Doesn't seem like you guys would either. With Getzlaf and Kesler getting the lion's share of the ice time, Lecavalier would get the weaker linemates with lesser minutes and just turn into a body who is taking up space like he is in Philly.

He needs to go to a team that can actually give him top six ice time so he can at least be a productive scoring forward.

That being said, I would take Fistric for him for sure.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Hard to believe too much when all he signed for was one year at two mil.

Did Hextall try to pay him in doughnuts or Lightning SC year memorabilia or something?

Old
07-01-2014, 08:25 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
This is actually good news IMO. I think it shows that Hextall may have a trade for Vinny lined up. Still glad we didn't get Richards though.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

I really am finding it harder and harder to imagine we have no takers for Lecavalier.

His contract isn't THAT bad. 4.5m/4yrs for a 20 goal scorer is actually a bargain compared to the complete **** show we saw today.

A 37 year old Iginla just got a very similar contract relative to their respective production numbers.

Then add on to that some extremely odd trades in the last 48 hours, and I would not be shocked at all if we get a solid pick in return. I really don't think we're going to be paying for someone to take him.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:34 PM
LVDucks238

Quote:

That's fair, but playing a rookie is significantly mitigated by the awesome, responsible veteran center depth that you have.

I don't think Lecavalier would be your solution. His problem in Philly is that we just don't have the role to give him for his skills to be effective. Doesn't seem like you guys would either. With Getzlaf and Kesler getting the lion's share of the ice time, Lecavalier would get the weaker linemates with lesser minutes and just turn into a body who is taking up space like he is in Philly.

He needs to go to a team that can actually give him top six ice time so he can at least be a productive scoring forward.

That being said, I would take Fistric for him for sure.
Surrounding him with quality line-mates wouldn't be a huge issue, and he could occupy the minutes Perreault played for us last year both at ES and on the PP. Kesler would take on Koivu's shut down role at even strength and on the PK, as well as Bonino's PP time. This top 9 I think is our best case scenario, at this point.

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Silf
Maroon-Vinny-Palmieri

Old
07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I really am finding it harder and harder to imagine we have no takers for Lecavalier.

His contract isn't THAT bad. 4.5m/4yrs for a 20 goal scorer is actually a bargain compared to the complete **** show we saw today.

A 37 year old Iginla just got a very similar contract relative to their respective production numbers.

Then add on to that some extremely odd trades in the last 48 hours, and I would not be shocked at all if we get a solid pick in return. I really don't think we're going to be paying for someone to take him.
I imagine he could either fetch or low value return or basically be given for free. So if he isn't moved I have to imagine it's because Hextall actually wants good value for him. Which would just be silly.

As far as these deals around the league go, you and me both said at one point today. Having power doesn't preclude a person from being incompetent or stupid. I imagine there's many upper management that are terrible at their jobs to sub-par and today kind of reinforced that with how absolutely terrible some of these trades and signings were. Fringe NHL guys like Glass got multi-year deals, Bolland got a five year deal at a premium hit, Spezza and Kesler were basically given away for free, etc.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Grare
Registered Factor

IMO the Flyers are in a pretty bad spot, average team not bad enough for a good pick, and not good enough to compete for the cup

I would look to (obviously) be rid of the bad contracts (you know who they are) and bring along are defense in the next 2 years. After that, along with the cap rising, we should be in good shape to make an impact in free agency, having 2-4 of our defenders on ELC contracts.

Our core of offensive players should still be here barring trade, and hopefully locked up to good contracts (with cap rising, and defense on a few ELCs)

In that time I envision Couts and Voracek becoming better overall players, which is important. With the added cap space the Flyers can acquire some good players to aid through free agency. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but if Bobby Ryan wants to come here (speculation) we could do it by all means, and still have cap left for other acquisitions.

I just feel we're on the right path (strengthening our defense) and moving out contracts that don't fit our core, or plan (speed seems to be an emphasis)

If we're a bubble team, and we could ship off Kimmo to a legit contender for a late 1st I would do it.. and I felt they should have a few years ago instead of resigning him.

To summarize: Clear bad contracts, lock up core players to friendly hits with cap rising, bring along our defense responsibly, have cap space to push the "core" over the top in upcoming free agency's.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Gert B Frobe

I'm thinking it's Steve Ott or Dominic Moore that Hextall is talking about.

Moore is a UFA with no home yet correct?

Old
07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Fistric works for us.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Timonen isn't getting traded unless we're surely out of the playoff race.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

Moore resigned with the Rags

Old
07-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

Moore signed w/ NYR.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grare View Post
IMO the Flyers are in a pretty bad spot, average team not bad enough for a good pick, and not good enough to compete for the cup

I would look to (obviously) be rid of the bad contracts (you know who they are) and bring along are defense in the next 2 years. After that, along with the cap rising, we should be in good shape to make an impact in free agency, having 2-4 of our defenders on ELC contracts.

Our core of offensive players should still be here barring trade, and hopefully locked up to good contracts (with cap rising, and defense on a few ELCs)

In that time I envision Couts and Voracek becoming better overall players, which is important. With the added cap space the Flyers can acquire some good players to aid through free agency. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but if Bobby Ryan wants to come here (speculation) we could do it by all means, and still have cap left for other acquisitions.

I just feel we're on the right path (strengthening our defense) and moving out contracts that don't fit our core, or plan (speed seems to be an emphasis)

If we're a bubble team, and we could ship off Kimmo to a legit contender for a late 1st I would do it.. and I felt they should have a few years ago instead of resigning him.

To summarize: Clear bad contracts, lock up core players to friendly hits with cap rising, bring along our defense responsibly, have cap space to push the "core" over the top in upcoming free agency's.
You''re spot on and preaching to the choir.

Closed Thread