HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap problem who goes?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2014, 12:37 AM
  #1
DrChill
Registered User
 
DrChill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FSJ BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
Cap problem who goes?

Hey, u guys obviously have cap issues, first thought is out with Vinny. But if u can't trade him, who else could go and for what return?

Read?

Simmonds??



Thanks.

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:43 AM
  #2
Betts11
Registered User
 
Betts11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cherry hill,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
Simmonds isn't going anywhere. I think they are banking on Vinny leaving and putting Pronger on LTIR. I could see them open to letting Grossmann go.

Betts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:47 AM
  #3
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 72,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
Hey, u guys obviously have cap issues, first thought is out with Vinny. But if u can't trade him, who else could go and for what return?

Read?

Simmonds??



Thanks.
Why would we trade two of our most cost effective players?

Think along the lines of Grossmann or Lecavalier.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:55 AM
  #4
DrChill
Registered User
 
DrChill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FSJ BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betts11 View Post
Simmonds isn't going anywhere. I think they are banking on Vinny leaving and putting Pronger on LTIR. I could see them open to letting Grossmann go.
Problem with LTIR for pronger is they need to be compliant before the season, then throw him on LTIR and have space.

Grossman. Interesting.

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 01:54 AM
  #5
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,111
vCash: 500
Vinny and Grossmann are the obvious choices. Read and Simmonds aren't going anywhere.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 01:58 AM
  #6
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
Problem with LTIR for pronger is they need to be compliant before the season, then throw him on LTIR and have space.

Grossman. Interesting.
We can be over the cap until then. We just won't be signing anyone of note.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:13 AM
  #7
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
It's gonna be Vinny that's going as cap relief.

No way do they get rid of simmonds, they wouldn't even trade the guy and he is far too valuable to the team.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:50 AM
  #8
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,920
vCash: 500
For some odd reason I feel like Ottawa might want Lecavalier... Murray in his press conference yesterday said we could use another established NHL Centreman and said he had a trade almost done and was just waiting on the team in question to pick the prospect involved in the deal? Could something be done here? and would Philly be willing to retain some $?

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:56 AM
  #9
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,936
vCash: 500
When a team is near the cap and they want to make some space they don't trade pieces of their core who are on fantastic contracts...

The Flyers will try to get rid of Lecavelier, Grossmann, or one of the other defenseman. There's no reason to think that they can't move one or more of these pieces, the only question is what is an acceptable return. Lecavelier is likely only still here because of his bonus, so since that's no longer an issue other teams will probably be more receptive to a trade or be willing to give back slightly more.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:02 AM
  #10
flyershockey
Registered User
 
flyershockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
For some odd reason I feel like Ottawa might want Lecavalier... Murray in his press conference yesterday said we could use another established NHL Centreman and said he had a trade almost done and was just waiting on the team in question to pick the prospect involved in the deal? Could something be done here? and would Philly be willing to retain some $?
Ottawa wouldn't be a bad landing spot for him. Plus, he's a Melnyk special. His actual salary is below his cap hit.

I'm pretty sure Vinny wanted to avoid a Canadian market, but he also expressed interest in going to the Panthers. So it's anyone's guess at this point.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:29 AM
  #11
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,660
vCash: 500
I'm confident the Flyers could find a taker for Vinny without retaining salary. Even in an injury plagued season, while misused significantly, he still scored 20. You can't get a vet who produces like Vinny for significantly less then his current cap hit (Richards is looking for a cup). So maybe I could see them eating a mil but no more then that and since his cap hit is actually higher then his salary IIRC, I'm sure they could find a taker without retaining any (team not up against the cap).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:31 AM
  #12
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Well, if Read and Simmonds aren't going to be dealt for cap relief, the next obvious choice is Giroux. Maybe Morin or Laughton too.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:31 AM
  #13
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 28,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
Hey, u guys obviously have cap issues, first thought is out with Vinny. But if u can't trade him, who else could go and for what return?

Read?

Simmonds??



Thanks.
They don't have to trade anyone, certainly not those two. The Flyers can start the season exceeding the cap by up to Pronger's cap hit if they choose to.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:35 AM
  #14
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
Hey, u guys obviously have cap issues, first thought is out with Vinny. But if u can't trade him, who else could go and for what return?

Read?

Simmonds??



Thanks.
Yeah...we are gonna get rid of Simmonds.....seriously? wtf.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:39 AM
  #15
sa cyred
No Tanking for Hisch
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SJ
Country: Cuba
Posts: 18,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They don't have to trade anyone, certainly not those two. The Flyers can start the season exceeding the cap by up to Pronger's cap hit if they choose to.
The only problem is that they would operative the season with only what 600k? Correct me if I am wrong. Thats way too tight to go into the season with. One guy goes down we may be fine. Two and more and we have a problem.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:00 AM
  #16
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 28,499
vCash: 50
Detroit and Pittsburgh managed last year. Here's one example of how the Flyers could do it this year. Hagg and Straka would be sent back to the AHL giving us $1.85 million in cap room, enough to call up PEB and Lauridsen for a 23 man roster and still have $650K in cap space.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.650m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Petr Straka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Robert Hagg ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,924,762; BONUSES: $1,712,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$4,924,762

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:12 AM
  #17
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Detroit and Pittsburgh managed last year. Here's one example of how the Flyers could do it this year. Hagg and Straka would be sent back to the AHL giving us $1.85 million in cap room, enough to call up PEB and Lauridsen for a 23 man roster and still have $650K in cap space.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.650m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Petr Straka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Robert Hagg ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,924,762; BONUSES: $1,712,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$4,924,762
I'd be fine with this, but I highly doubt Winnik is taking a paycut to come here. Dude had the best year of his career and the cap just jumped about $5 million. He has a terrible agent if he takes a pay cut.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:13 AM
  #18
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Well, if Read and Simmonds aren't going to be dealt for cap relief, the next obvious choice is Giroux. Maybe Morin or Laughton too.
Mason first before Giroux. Seriously.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:21 AM
  #19
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 28,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd be fine with this, but I highly doubt Winnik is taking a paycut to come here. Dude had the best year of his career and the cap just jumped about $5 million. He has a terrible agent if he takes a pay cut.
They could get his cap hit up close to $2 million if they swap Laughton with PEB.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:22 AM
  #20
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Mason first before Giroux. Seriously.
They should just trade next year's first rounder, that way we won't have to worry about being in this situation when he done with RFA status in about six or seven years or so. Can they buy out Eric Lindros or no?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:26 AM
  #21
renberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lewes Delaware
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
For some odd reason I feel like Ottawa might want Lecavalier... Murray in his press conference yesterday said we could use another established NHL Centreman and said he had a trade almost done and was just waiting on the team in question to pick the prospect involved in the deal? Could something be done here? and would Philly be willing to retain some $?
Here is part of the problem. Bottom feeding teams think that teams like the Flyers, Bruins, Hawks, and Wings who spent up to the cap in order to be competitive, are in cap trouble and that this is an opportunity to pry draft choices and/or money from them in a deal for quality players. Hexy and the other GMs will find ways to become cap compliant without doing either of these things. Then the carp of the NHL like the Preds can come and pay full price for the players that they need.

renberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:55 AM
  #22
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
Well at least Hexy is saying all the right things about feeling fine about standing pat, etc... if we are patient in trading Vinny we won't have to retain anything. He is still a great player... just needs to be at Center, and we don't have an opening there.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
  #23
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,936
vCash: 500
Sanheim is taking up way too much space, get rid of him too. Then we can extend Emery.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
  #24
Philadelphia Ducks
Win it for Ed
 
Philadelphia Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,494
vCash: 500
Read and Simmonds are signed for cheap for what they bring to the table, they won't be moved. It will be Vinny. And if not him one of our many overpaid defenseman or moving Umberger.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
  #25
Kuato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Vinny needs to go, but this isn't fantasy hockey folks, you can't simply trade away people you want gone, there has to be interest in them. And at his age and price tag, finding someone who actually wants him is going to be tough. Trade him if you can, but be prepared to have him on the roster next year, and to move someone like Grossman if you can't.

Kuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.