HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part III: Picking up the pieces

Old
07-02-2014, 05:45 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Free Agent Frenzy Part III: Picking up the pieces

continued...

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Crossbar

Jrockett1096, a lot of us share in your disappointment that we couldn't land the biggest fish in FA, but a lot of us also understand that this franchise always has a difficult time attracting them and will continue to until we remove the perennial loser label. This is the ship Tallon is choosing to go up/down with, if it continues to fail, you won't have to wait too long for more changes to happen.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:32 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Jrockett1096, a lot of us share in your disappointment that we couldn't land the biggest fish in FA, but a lot of us also understand that this franchise always has a difficult time attracting them and will continue to until we remove the perennial loser label. This is the ship Tallon is choosing to go up/down with, if it continues to fail, you won't have to wait too long for more changes to happen.
Yep, that fits the bill.

Thing is guys that the majority of our top line consists of our young prospects. All of them first line, first round drafted players. They need to step up and play to their title.

We have Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Kulikov, Gudbranson, now Ekblad with the lingering possibility of Pirri as well playing next season. They constitute the majority of our offensive line. They need to play to their potential and pass it. If those guys play to their potential, we are in the playoff mix, no doubt.

Now, I get what your thinking. WE NEED TO SURROUND THEM WITH BETTER TALENT. and I wholly agree. But, like Crossbar stated above we are paying with a bit of a handicap. Hopefully, Tallon gets on the horn and starts making trades and making the team better.

You have to admit this team has a handicap and that makes it that much sweeter when we make the playoffs. We do that consistently for about 2 seasons or so and, oh man oh man ---, Free agents are going to be buying yachts and condos before the free agency even begins.

WORK YOUR MAGIC TALLON DAMMIT!

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:40 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
For those who expected Richards, wake up.

The guy wanted to go to a contender. Same with Iginla. If Tallon called them I doubt they even returned it. They had teams going after them and a lot of clubs look more attractive than we do. Richards would never come here, even at $6 million per because he wants to win.

Also, although the price was nice for Richards, what good is he for this team? He's soft as baby poop and is worthless unless he's in a top-6 role. With Barkov and Bjugstad holding those spots there wasn't room for a player like him. At least Bolland can be slotted into the 3rd line and be very effective.

Not a lot of guys are willing to come to this team. We should be happy with what we did get. The only player I'm upset about not getting is Moulson.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:48 AM
SeasonTicket

“It was a great day for our franchise, we exceeded expectations,” Florida’s general manager Dale Tallon said on the new signings. “We identified a number of players and we got them all.”

We got everyone that Dale targeted. No one else was on his list so why are we discussing not getting Richards or Iggy or Moulson etc, etc.....

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:49 AM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
For those who expected Richards, wake up.

Also, although the price was nice for Richards, what good is he for this team? He's soft as baby poop and is worthless unless he's in a top-6 role.
Amen. And if anyone actually watched the SCF, he was absolutely a detriment to their PowerPlay. Fans, commentators... hell, I think even one of the guys on MSG called him out at one point, wondering how much longer before AV pulled him off the PP in favor of a loaf of bread. So he's also not the guy that's gonna come here and improve what is inarguably our weakest link. Was not expecting to go after him at all; was not disappointed.

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
“It was a great day for our franchise, we exceeded expectations,” Florida’s general manager Dale Tallon said on the new signings. “We identified a number of players and we got them all.”

We got everyone that Dale targeted. No one else was on his list so why are we discussing not getting Richards or Iggy or Moulson etc, etc.....
Ugh thats pretty telling that they got all the guys they wanted and not better players

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:13 AM
RCDeltaFixer

Look, it doesn't matter what GM you ask, they will all say the same thing "Its been a great day, we got everyone we needed for this franchise." You're all reading way too deeply into his statement here.

RCDeltaFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:18 AM
iam76

thornton isnt just a fighter.. guy can play and even has descent hands skill for a fighter.. look at that move he pulled on us a last year... Welcome to our 4th line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROS6LnpJqs

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDeltaFixer View Post
Look, it doesn't matter what GM you ask, they will all say the same thing "Its been a great day, we got everyone we needed for this franchise." You're all reading way too deeply into his statement here.
Yeah, the real statement was the guys that were signed and for what their contracts were, not the words (which is what you're saying, right?).

Are you thinking we got the absolute best talent we absolutely could or we just got the guys that we could get to sign here most easily?

Old
07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah, the real statement was the guys that were signed and for what their contracts were, not the words (which is what you're saying, right?).

Are you thinking we got the absolute best talent we absolutely could or we just got the guys that we could get to sign here most easily?
honestly? i think we got all players that we could reasonably get to sign here.

bollands contract is bad, but if we were to land other players, imagine +2m on all contracts imo

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
klabob

Quote:

He did inquire about some other players though. I think at some point he talks about Niskanen and how his agent told him the lenght and money needed but it was too long and too pricey so he went an other way.

Tallon probably did call all the top guys agent and they either told they are not interested or they were out of Tallon's price range. There's a distinction to be made between Tallon not being interested in a player and Tallon kowing the player is not interested and pursuing others. He had more than a week to discuss with players, you guys make it sound like he only called the guys we signed and no one else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Not a lot of guys are willing to come to this team. We should be happy with what we did get. The only player I'm upset about not getting is Moulson.
Apparently Moulson wanted stability for his family. The way the Sabres' owner took care of his familly when he got traded to Minnesota weighted a lot in the balance. So he signed a long contract with a NMC.

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog

vCash: 50
As of now (obviously a VERY rough draft)
Forwards
Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri
Flash-Bolland-Bergenheim
Upshall-Mackenzie-Thornton
Extra Forwards are: Hayes, Kopecky ,Trocheck, Shore…
Defense
Kulikov-Campbell
Mitchell-Ekblad
Olsen/Robak/Petro-Gudbranson
Goaltending
Luongo
Montoya
We have an abundance of 3rd line players, inexperienced defensemen, and youth in general…
To be a legitimate contender in the east we NEED to add 1-2 goal scoring wingers and another defenseman. Could clear up roster space by getting rid of players like Flash, Kopecky, and even the ”better” guys like Bergy and Upshall.

Last edited by Shockley: 07-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockley View Post
Forwards
Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri
Flash-Bolland-Bergenheim
Defense
Kulikov-Campbell
Mitchell-Ekblad
Goaltending
Luongo
Montoya
We have an abundance of 3rd line players, inexperienced defensemen, and youth in general…
To be a legitimate contender in the east we NEED to add 1-2 goal scoring wingers and another defenseman. Could clear up roster space by getting rid of players like Flash, Kopecky, and even the ”better” guys like Bergy and Upshall.
It's not good when there isn't a single legitimate 1st line player on the whole roster. Yea, guys like huberdeau and Barkov have that potential, but they aren't there yet.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:43 AM
iam76

would anyone be against getting a guy like ray whitney for one year? and sit him next to huberdeau in the locker

Old
07-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
It's not good when there isn't a single legitimate 1st line player on the whole roster. Yea, guys like huberdeau and Barkov have that potential, but they aren't there yet.
Yup, I hate seeing our young guys being rushed into this situation. We keep hearing how they will develop young talent, and then throw guys like Barkov/Bjugstad on the first line.

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudzilla View Post
honestly? i think we got all players that we could reasonably get to sign here.

bollands contract is bad, but if we were to land other players, imagine +2m on all contracts imo
Adding money to contracts wasnt supposed to be a problem though with new ownership. Even if you add 2M to those contracts, it wouldnt hurt us. The problem is that Tallon choose to sign guys to longer deals than they deserve.

And I'm not just talking about the Bolland contract too. MacKenzie is 33 yrs old right now and got a 3 yr deal and will be 36 when the deal is up. Thornton is 36 yrs old and got a 2 yr deal so he'll be 38 when the deal is up. These 3 guys got at least 1 yr too much. Heck even Jokinen is 31 and in 4 yrs, he'll be 35. Do you really think those 4 guys will produce to the same level that they have in the past once they get to the last yrs of those contracts? Even if you have to add money up front to their deals to keep them shorter, it would be worth it long term if you ask me. I'm sure we'll be buying out most of the guys we signed yesterday in the last yr of their deals or trading them way before it gets to that point.

Old
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
16Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockley View Post
Forwards
Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri
Flash-Bolland-Bergenheim
Defense
Kulikov-Campbell
Mitchell-Ekblad
Goaltending
Luongo
Montoya
I know everyone wants an exciting 1st line winger, but LOL at our defense.

Sign who ever you want upfront, we're not moving out of the basement with that defense.

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Adding money to contracts wasnt supposed to be a problem though with new ownership. Even if you add 2M to those contracts, it wouldnt hurt us. The problem is that Tallon choose to sign guys to longer deals than they deserve.

And I'm not just talking about the Bolland contract too. MacKenzie is 33 yrs old right now and got a 3 yr deal and will be 36 when the deal is up. Thornton is 36 yrs old and got a 2 yr deal so he'll be 38 when the deal is up. These 3 guys got at least 1 yr too much. Heck even Jokinen is 31 and in 4 yrs, he'll be 35. Do you really think those 4 guys will produce to the same level that they have in the past once they get to the last yrs of those contracts? Even if you have to add money up front to their deals to keep them shorter, it would be worth it long term if you ask me. I'm sure we'll be buying out most of the guys we signed yesterday in the last yr of their deals or trading them way before it gets to that point.
When players get up to that age they are either looking to go to a contender or for some sort of job security. At this point in time we can only offer one of those things.

TheCupNeedsATan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
I know everyone wants an exciting 1st line winger, but LOL at our defense.

Sign who ever you want upfront, we're not moving out of the basement with that defense.
We suddenly have an abundance of LWers on our roster. I could see us looking to move either Fleischmann Bergenheim or Kopecky for some help of defense.

Old
07-02-2014, 10:04 AM
iam76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
We suddenly have an abundance of LWers on our roster. I could see us looking to move either Fleischmann Bergenheim or Kopecky for some help of defense.
i have no interest in moving bergy... but he might have more value

Old
07-02-2014, 10:10 AM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post
I don't want to move him either. He is one of those high energy players that can really make a difference when it comes down to it, but we have a bigger need at defense right now and Bergie is probably the most sought after of those 3 players.

Old
07-02-2014, 10:10 AM
EnforceTheLaus
Dave Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post
Bergy should stay. Upshall, Flash, Kopecky are the expendable forwards.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:18 AM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
Bergy should stay. Upshall, Flash, Kopecky are the expendable forwards.
Unless we play Pirri on the off hand wing we don't really have the RW depth to move Upshall right now even though this would be the best time to trade him.

Old
07-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:

I wouldn't take everything he says at face value. Panthers were rumored to be going after Orpik.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote