HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part III: Picking up the pieces

Old
07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
ursavolta

vCash: 825
I can definitely see Tallon doing some trading this up and coming week. There is a reason why players want more years on their contracts guys, stability. The only term I see that is grossly overpayed is Bolland's, and even than he could be a def. trade asset for playoff bound teams later if we need to dump him. I think he will do us more good than harm in the long run. The terms for the other guys are pretty much standard now a days guys, we should get use to it.

This free agency sucked, not alot of good players besides vanek, moulson isnt a first line guy and vbrata is second runner up.

This year its about the young guys filling into their roles. If Flash returns to form (final contract year so all signs point to that at least) boyes continues his scoring pace, Joki putting in the points.. than I think we should be fine. We can compete for a spot or at least progress further than we did this past season.

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
SeasonTicket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Adding money to contracts wasnt supposed to be a problem though with new ownership. Even if you add 2M to those contracts, it wouldnt hurt us. The problem is that Tallon choose to sign guys to longer deals than they deserve.

And I'm not just talking about the Bolland contract too. MacKenzie is 33 yrs old right now and got a 3 yr deal and will be 36 when the deal is up. Thornton is 36 yrs old and got a 2 yr deal so he'll be 38 when the deal is up. These 3 guys got at least 1 yr too much. Heck even Jokinen is 31 and in 4 yrs, he'll be 35. Do you really think those 4 guys will produce to the same level that they have in the past once they get to the last yrs of those contracts? Even if you have to add money up front to their deals to keep them shorter, it would be worth it long term if you ask me. I'm sure we'll be buying out most of the guys we signed yesterday in the last yr of their deals or trading them way before it gets to that point.
I agree with you. Upshall, Flash, Kopy and Jovo are all examples of too much term.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I wouldn't take everything he says at face value. Panthers were rumored to be going after Orpik.
And after seeing his contract I'm glad they didn't, same w/ Niskanin.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:28 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
It's not good when there isn't a single legitimate 1st line player on the whole roster. Yea, guys like huberdeau and Barkov have that potential, but they aren't there yet.
Barkov made a pretty good case last year of already being at that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
We suddenly have an abundance of LWers on our roster. I could see us looking to move either Fleischmann Bergenheim or Kopecky for some help of defense.
Flash is the only one of the four (I'd count in Upshall to that group too) who has trouble switching to RW, no idea why.

Still, Kopecky is probably the most likely to get moved. Upshall/Bergy have no trouble moving up in the line-up and fit every line, and I don't think Tallon is going to give up (thou he should) on Flash after last season.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I wouldn't take everything he says at face value. Panthers were rumored to be going after Orpik.
I wouldn't take pretty much anything DT says at face value, I don't understand why people get so worked up everytime he says something. Smoke and mirrors man, smoke and mirrors....

Kellyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:40 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
When players get up to that age they are either looking to go to a contender or for some sort of job security. At this point in time we can only offer one of those things.
Missed the point though, why are we signing those players then if thats all they are looking for? If we cant get guys who want to come here to play via free agency, there are plenty of moves we could make via trades. There was a flurry of trades too where guys could've made sense here...Neal, Vey, Bollig, Purcell, Gagner, Thompson, Parenteau, Gorges (not even to mention the availability of Lecavalier who's willing to come here). I could easily take 5 guys off that list over the 5 skaters we signed yesterday. And none of those other guys cost an arm & a leg in trade or had really bad contracts.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:44 AM
batting1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
“It was a great day for our franchise, we exceeded expectations,” Florida’s general manager Dale Tallon said on the new signings. “We identified a number of players and we got them all.”

We got everyone that Dale targeted. No one else was on his list so why are we discussing not getting Richards or Iggy or Moulson etc, etc.....
Honestly, would you think he would say anything different? He's not gonna come out and say, "Yeah, we wanted Moulson, Vanek, and Stastny, but they all said no. We didn't really get everyone we wanted."?

No, of course he's gonna say we got who we wanted because then it sounds like we didn't offer enough money, etc. Just like with the Bylsma/Gallant hiring. Of course he's not gonna say it's money related (i'm not saying it was).

I'm glad we got who we got yesterday and I trust Tallon that they got who we wanted, but I don't really think he'd say we didn't.

batting1k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam

vCash: 157
Quote:
Adding money to contracts wasnt supposed to be a problem though with new ownership. Even if you add 2M to those contracts, it wouldnt hurt us. The problem is that Tallon choose to sign guys to longer deals than they deserve.

And I'm not just talking about the Bolland contract too. MacKenzie is 33 yrs old right now and got a 3 yr deal and will be 36 when the deal is up. Thornton is 36 yrs old and got a 2 yr deal so he'll be 38 when the deal is up. These 3 guys got at least 1 yr too much. Heck even Jokinen is 31 and in 4 yrs, he'll be 35. Do you really think those 4 guys will produce to the same level that they have in the past once they get to the last yrs of those contracts? Even if you have to add money up front to their deals to keep them shorter, it would be worth it long term if you ask me. I'm sure we'll be buying out most of the guys we signed yesterday in the last yr of their deals or trading them way before it gets to that point.
Welcome to free agency. Just be happy that's all we signed. Free agency is never the right way to go about building your team. Only add a couple decent players because you WILL be overpaying $ wise and term wise.

Only when the Toews and Kanes hit the market, do you overpay like a mad man. I am so thankful DT didn't throw money and terms at Vanek, Hemsky, Moulson and Stastny. These guys don't lead, they sit in the back ground and wrack up points. They will never be the guys to lead the charge.

Funny fact: Between Moulson, Vanek, Hemsky, and Stastny they have a total of 121 playoff games and 0 cups.

Bolland, Mitchell, Thornton and Jokinen have a total of 305 playoff games and 6 Stanley Cups.

I'll gladly take the experience and heart on the sleeve guys over overpaying for 2nd tier players.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:46 AM
spacemanatee

yesterday i was "pretty" upset but today i'm stoked as fuuuugg!! i know i needed to sleep on it hehe. some things still pisses me off like gorges & moulson to sabres but whatever. can't wait til october!
GO CATS

spacemanatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:49 AM
IM Clutcm
#SpaceyInSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanatee View Post
yesterday i was "pretty" upset but today i'm stoked as fuuuugg!! i know i needed to sleep on it hehe. some things still pisses me off like gorges & moulson to sabres but whatever. can't wait til october!
GO CATS
Ha, funny you say that because I feel the same way. I wasn't on the "fire Tallon" bandwagon, but I wasn't happy with the Bolland deal. I can't wait to see what else Tallon has planned for the offseason!

IM Clutcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Barkov made a pretty good case last year of already being at that level.
Barkov absolutely has the talent, but expecting a 19 year old not named Crosby to put up 60 points as your first line center is just asking too much.

If this team is going to have a chance at competing for a playoff spot, it needs its first line center to get at MINIMUM 60 points. As much as I like Barkov. It is very unlikely he puts up 60 points this season.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:21 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Barkov absolutely has the talent, but expecting a 19 year old not named Crosby to put up 60 points as your first line center is just asking too much.

If this team is going to have a chance at competing for a playoff spot, it needs its first line center to get at MINIMUM 60 points. As much as I like Barkov. It is very unlikely he puts up 60 points this season.
The thing is though, a lot of 1C's revoke the offensive numbers they achieve with poor defensive plays. Barkov already showed that even if he doesn't get on the scoreboard every game, he'll still bring that good defensively responsible game.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Kellyr

Quote:
If this team is going to have a chance at competing for a playoff spot, it needs its first line center to get at MINIMUM 60 points.
Not really if you have depth. Take a look at a team like St. Louis, none of their centers scored over 60 points.

Old
07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
The thing is though, a lot of 1C's revoke the offensive numbers they achieve with poor defensive plays. Barkov already showed that even if he doesn't get on the scoreboard every game, he'll still bring that good defensively responsible game.
I have no doubt that Barkov will grow into a top end #1 center. However, for THIS year, the Panthers need more than a guy who will get 40ish points and play good defense if they want to contend for a playoff spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
Not really if you have depth. Take a look at a team like St. Louis, none of their centers scored over 60 points.
there is no comparison between St. Louis' depth and the Panthers depth.

Old
07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
jrockett1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bjugs View Post
Welcome to free agency. Just be happy that's all we signed. Free agency is never the right way to go about building your team. Only add a couple decent players because you WILL be overpaying $ wise and term wise.

Only when the Toews and Kanes hit the market, do you overpay like a mad man. I am so thankful DT didn't throw money and terms at Vanek, Hemsky, Moulson and Stastny. These guys don't lead, they sit in the back ground and wrack up points. They will never be the guys to lead the charge.

Funny fact: Between Moulson, Vanek, Hemsky, and Stastny they have a total of 121 playoff games and 0 cups.

Bolland, Mitchell, Thornton and Jokinen have a total of 305 playoff games and 6 Stanley Cups.

I'll gladly take the experience and heart on the sleeve guys over overpaying for 2nd tier players.
I personally can't wait for the all "winner" line we will put out with Thornton, Bolland and Kopecky that will strike fear upor our opponents with there cups in tow and they will show the way to Huberdeau, Barkov and Bjugstad.

Yes these guys will show our youngsters the "right" way to play and I have no doubt next year in FA we will go after more winners and maybe even lead the league with the most Stanley cup winners on a team and with there combined knowledge, turn our young stars into super humans and we will set records for most points in a season and dominate the league for years to come.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Are we going to have 4 forwards who score 55+ pts then? Also, are we going to have a d-man besides Campbell put up 45+ pts? Name those guys on our team, please!

Old
07-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Kellyr

Quote:

there is no comparison between St. Louis' depth and the Panthers depth.
lol

ok so you want to rephrase what you said about a team "needing a 1st line center with minimum 60 points to make the playoffs" into a "team needs depth to make the playoffs"?

Ok!

Old
07-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Effe

vCash: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanatee View Post
GO CATS
As I said yesterday, i guess moulson enjoyed living in buffalo, and Gorges where quite pissed that he was traded, so i guess he didnt want to go there. Im overall pretty pleased, and all pick ups are improvement compared to what they replace, its just the bolland contract that sucks. My biggest concern is the fact that we didnt addressed our main problem, a scoring winger and a top pairing blueliner. But i guess we will see some nice trades.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Kellyr

Quote:
Are we going to have 4 forwards who score 55+ pts then? Also, are we going to have a d-man besides Campbell put up 45+ pts? Name those guys on our team, please!
I think in 1-2 years we probably will have a 4 players who can score 50-60 points. Maybe even a defenseman to do that. Although this has nothing to do with my original point.

Old
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
klabob

Quote:
I have no doubt that Barkov will grow into a top end #1 center. However, for THIS year, the Panthers need more than a guy who will get 40ish points and play good defense if they want to contend for a playoff spot.
Who says he won't?

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:40 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
I think in 1-2 years we probably will have a 4 players who can score 50-60 points. Maybe even a defenseman to do that. Although this has nothing to do with my original point.
Oh ok, thats good with me because in 1-2 yrs we'll have a new GM and he'll probably be trading 2 out of the 4 of those guys. Yay! [/sarcasm]

Old
07-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
lol

ok so you want to rephrase what you said about a team "needing a 1st line center with minimum 60 points to make the playoffs" into a "team needs depth to make the playoffs"?

Ok!
St. Louis is the exception not the rule. The blues arguably have 3 second lines on their roster. If we are being generous, the Panthers have 1 second line and 2 third lines. That is not how you make the playoffs

Old
07-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
This team has been losing for OVER A DECADE. I am tired of waiting. We were sold on this being a 4 year re-build. Well guess what, it is year 5 and other than a one year blip on the radar, this team is still closer to the gutter then it is to the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabob View Post
Who says he won't?
Who says Barkov won't what?

Old
07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Effe

vCash: 3405
So what to do next? Here is what i want to do and if we somehow can manage that then i cant see how we could fail to make it to the playoff.

Team
Luongo
Montoya

Campbell - XXX
Gudbranson - Kulikov
Ekblad - Mitchell
Olsen

Huberdeau - Barkov - XXX
Jokinen - Bolland - Fleichman
Pirri - Bjugstad - Boyes
Upshall - MacKenzie - Bergenheim
Thornton

In AHL
Hayes, Trocheck, Shore, Petro, Ellis

Possible vet trade ship (atleast two, preferably three should be traded)
Kopy, Bergenheim, Flash, Upshall

Possible prospect tradeship
Trocheck, Shore, Petro

What we need
a #2, #3 or #4 blueliner
a top 6 scoringing winger.

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

Looks like you guys just signed Blake Parlett.

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote