HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part III: Picking up the pieces

Old
07-02-2014, 04:10 PM
CoolburnIsGone

vCash: 500
Does anyone remember before the draft Tallon said maybe it was time to package up some of the youth to get some proven talent? Wonder what happened with that thought process all of a sudden?

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:11 PM
iam76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
I want it to be this guy. Don't know what the trade would have to look like though...

i agree.. after barkov and the olympics i love all fins

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Does anyone remember before the draft Tallon said maybe it was time to package up some of the youth to get some proven talent? Wonder what happened with that thought process all of a sudden?
Give it time, he has all summer.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Juggernaut27
#CatsHasCupNow?

Tanev may be available?

I'm fine with Sami though...

Our defensive depth is looking ridiculous (for the panthers) this year and next.

Soupy / xxx
Kuli / Guds
Mitchell / Ekblad
Olsen

Robak / Petro
Racine

We're a right shot away from having a real NHL defense with good size, some real weapons and quality call-ups. 7 of our pro D are under 25 + M&M and Weegar and Brown still to go pro.

Are there any passable top-4 right shots left out there in FA...?

Kuli - 300 pro games
Robak - 300 pro games
Olsen - 200 pro games
Guds - 150 pro games
Petro - 100 pro games
Racine - 60 pro games

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
CanadianPantherFan
Cats are Here!

vCash: 50
It still boggles my mind how you guys say the defense is weak! We added 1st overall pick plus vet dman who just won the cup! This keeps Gudbranson down on 3rd pairing... and if that's all he ever amounts to with low pressure on him he's a BUST. Kulikov it's time to s&$? or get off the pot and help this team with top4 minutes.

All the talk about forwards stepping up. Make or break year for Guds and Kuli. They are old enough now.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:18 PM
FrolikFan67

really hope we sign vrbata. i wouldnt mind getting brouwer for flash either. he's a chicago/tallon guy, we need rw, and still has 2yr left, play him next to bolland.

Jokinen-Barkov-Vrbata
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Boyes
Bergenheim-Bolland-Brouwer

thats a lot of B's...

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Problem is that the "big" moves are usually made during the draft or the first 48 hours of FA. Well the clock is ticking and there isn't even a whiff of a potential deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the last two signings by this team are similar 1 year 1 million deals that boyes and Gilbert signed hoping they can get lucky on someone who is on their last chance.

Yea I know I've been a Debbie downer the past 24 hours, but I've been kicked in the ribs too many times by this team.
I don't blame you man. I'm just trying to to be as optimistic as I can be before the season starts.

Big Bjugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Quote:
you need more then a guy who can mentor the young guys. you need players who can carry the burden of producing and allow the younger players to grow without having it hanging over their heads that if they don't score goals, the team has no chance that night.
Can we get that without giving up Bjugstad or Huberdeau etc.? I don't see any other way. I don't want to give that up.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 310
Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick 10 Min.

Way to go islanders!!!! Making a 40pt guy a 5 million dollar player!!! Grabovski?? 5 million??? I'm going back to the gym!! Good god

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:29 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick 10 Min.

Way to go islanders!!!! Making a 40pt guy a 5 million dollar player!!! Grabovski?? 5 million??? I'm going back to the gym!! Good god
I'd rather have Grabovski at 7M than Bolland at 5.5.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Can we get that without giving up Bjugstad or Huberdeau etc.? I don't see any other way. I don't want to give that up.
You don't have to go get a super star. There is a wealth of young talent in the system. Shore, trochek, howden, and co aren't doing the panthers any good in the AHL. It's time for some of them to be packaged for proven talent.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Sparkman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
lol I'm not a fan of the bolland contract, but I don't know about that.

Sparkman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50
Quote:
For the role he'd play, much rather have Bolland, massively overpaid or not.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Sparkman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
It still boggles my mind how you guys say the defense is weak! We added 1st overall pick plus vet dman who just won the cup! This keeps Gudbranson down on 3rd pairing... and if that's all he ever amounts to with low pressure on him he's a BUST. Kulikov it's time to s&$? or get off the pot and help this team with top4 minutes.

All the talk about forwards stepping up. Make or break year for Guds and Kuli. They are old enough now.
I agree ekblad and mitchell were HUGE additions and really balances out our D core. I've been a big believer in kuli since day one and want to see him succeed so bad, but next year is definitely make or break for him. Guddy on the other hand still has some time but should really take an extra step next year

Sparkman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:07 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post

this defense is still terrible, on paper.

Campbell is a legitimate top pairing defensman. Mitchell is a very solid 2nd pairing defensman. after that, we have a bunch of ifs and buts.

Kulikov has shown glimpses of excellent play and stretches of awful play. He's erratic. Can he put it all together this year and play consistently like a top-pairing guy? Sure. But he also could keep his erratic play. On paper, he's not a trustworthy option.

Gudbranson has been terrible so far in his career. He has the potential to be a really good defensive defensman. But at this point, that's all it is, potential. On paper, right now, he's a weak option.

Ekblad has the potential to be a dominant #1 defensman. But he's an 18 year old who has yet to play a game in the NHL. Can he come in next year and play great? Sure, but he could also come in and struggle like even some of the better top 3 picks have in their rookie years. Victor Hedman looks great now. But he was really bad his rookie year in Tampa. Because of this, on paper, he's a weak option.

Olsen is just a depth defensman. Nothing special, nothing to count on for anything of importance.

Our D could be solid next year if all our kids take that next step, but that's a big if. As it stands right now, on paper, this is still a really weak defense.

We definitely need one more defensman.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:16 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
The offseason isn't over yet. The season doesn't start for another 3 months.

batting1k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1k View Post
Traditionally the big trades happen at the draft or very early in FA because that's when GM's are shaping their roster for the upcoming season. Look around the NHL. Most rosters have at least 18-20 of the guys they plan on going into the season with on the roster. The only holes left are in the bottom 6 and can be filled with cheap vets right before TC.

It is highly unlikely a gm is going to wake up in the middle of August and say to himself, I wonder what player X could return in a trade and start putting out feelers.

Old
07-02-2014, 08:07 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

I really hope we can pick up Vrbata, I'd love to see him here for 4.5/4 and get rid of Kopy & Upshall via trade to clear up room.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:18 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1k View Post
You're probably not aware but most significant trades are made by the end of the first week of free agency. After about the 10th of July, no one makes any trades but for their farm teams or depth. So Tallon has about 5-7 more days to make a trade or nothing will happen till after the season starts.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Problem is that the "big" moves are usually made during the draft or the first 48 hours of FA
Bingo. I can't help but look at the glaring holes in our lineup and wish Ekblad was attractive enough of a prospect so that Tallon could have traded the pick for a quality defenseman, a winger who can score, and still retain the top 10 pick. I think we're one scoring winger and one top 4 defenseman away from being a playoff team.

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
I really hope we can pick up Vrbata, I'd love to see him here for 4.5/4 and get rid of Kopy & Upshall via trade to clear up room.
I think Vrbata would be great on a line with Huberdeau.

Old
07-02-2014, 08:41 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

He might not be a top option, but Jamie McBain wouldn't be a bad choice for another defenseman.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
Bingo. I can't help but look at the glaring holes in our lineup and wish Ekblad was attractive enough of a prospect so that Tallon could have traded the pick for a quality defenseman, a winger who can score, and still retain the top 10 pick. I think we're one scoring winger and one top 2 defenseman away from being a playoff team.
This team so desperately needs a goal scorer. How many great feeds did huberdeau and Barkov give teammates that turned into shots that missed the net.

Old
07-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
This team so desperately needs a goal scorer. How many great feeds did huberdeau and Barkov give teammates that turned into shots that missed the net.
I think it's a serious problem and that it's potentially even stunting their growth and confidence. The potential game winners and beautiful passes turn into wide shots and frustration. I think it bothers them at the end of the year when they're looking at their stats too. Hope we can pull something off.

Old
07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 1m
The Vancouver Canucks have signed Radim Vrbata.

batting1k is online now   Reply With Quote