HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part III: Picking up the pieces

Old
07-02-2014, 08:51 PM
batting1k

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
I think it's a serious problem and that it's potentially even stunting their growth and confidence. The potential game winners and beautiful passes turn into wide shots and frustration. I think it bothers them at the end of the year when they're looking at their stats too. Hope we can pull something off.
Jokinen isn't a prolific goal scorer, but he certainly knows how to put the puck in the net.

--------

Quote:
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 1m
The Vancouver Canucks have signed Radim Vrbata.

batting1k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:51 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1k View Post
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 1m
The Vancouver Canucks have signed Radim Vrbata.
Boo.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
I think it's a serious problem and that it's potentially even stunting their growth and confidence. The potential game winners and beautiful passes turn into wide shots and frustration. I think it bothers them at the end of the year when they're looking at their stats too. Hope we can pull something off.
It's not the lack of stats stunting their development. It's the fact that they know going into each game that if they don't get it done, they don't have a chance that night. That is a big burden for a bunch of kids not even old enough to order a beer legally.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:02 PM
batting1k

2 yrs 5 mil per

Old
07-02-2014, 09:11 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
2 yrs 5 mil per
Woof

Old
07-02-2014, 09:17 PM
ShootIt

Nice deal for the Nucks

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:22 PM
BigNickBjugstad

Knew we were not going to get him.

If we a top 6 winger it will be through trade. (Well has to be now, as they aren't really any top 6 wingers left in FA!)

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:24 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Welp.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickBjugstad View Post
Knew we were not going to get him.

If we a top 6 winger it will be through trade. (Well has to be now, as they aren't really any top 6 wingers left in FA!)
Unless we take a crack at Heatley....hopefully at a discount.

Old
07-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Catsfan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
If Havlat can get 1.5 Heatley could too. I'm not against it.

Catsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
He is not a top 6 guy anymore and it's not really even close.

Kellyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:42 PM
batting1k

Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 2m
Trade Winds? In talking to a few sources tonight tomorrow could see Evander Kane, Thornton, Marleau, Byfuglien, and LeCavalier on the move..
putting this here for what it's worth

Old
07-02-2014, 09:44 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:
putting this here for what it's worth
No real surprising names there, so I don't doubt that its true.

Old
07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Beezeral

If marleau or Kane end up in Florida, I'll be thrilled. Thornton would have been a great mentor to Barkov but there's no fit at this point same with Vinny. Want no part of big buff

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:00 PM
EnforceTheLaus
Bjugerdeau

The more I see it the more Boychuk makes sense here. Toss a '16 2nd rounder at them and it makes sense for Boston free up space.

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:09 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
oh God please no....

75% of the goalies, with full equipment, are probably faster skaters than Heatley is nowadays. He is so done.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:10 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
The more I see it the more Boychuk makes sense here. Toss a '16 2nd rounder at them and it makes sense for Boston free up space.
I like Boychuk alot. I'd love that. our top 4 would be reasonably decent after adding him and Mitchell.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Traditionally the big trades happen at the draft or very early in FA because that's when GM's are shaping their roster for the upcoming season. Look around the NHL. Most rosters have at least 18-20 of the guys they plan on going into the season with on the roster. The only holes left are in the bottom 6 and can be filled with cheap vets right before TC.

It is highly unlikely a gm is going to wake up in the middle of August and say to himself, I wonder what player X could return in a trade and start putting out feelers.
There are teams still trying to figure out how to get below the cap as well, could be an opportunity to trade some of our young cheap prospects for good players in return.

It is very easy to criticize Tallon in retrospect. We knew we would have to overpay. We knew we were not an attractive option for top players looking for a chance at a cup win, i.e. Niskanen / Vanek / insert top FA name here/ never considered us an option... stop comparing what other players signed for on other teams.... money is not the only factor as we have seen (have any of you listen to the staff on NHL network interviewing these top FA about why they signed where they did? or which teams they actually considered signing with?) Why the hell are we whining so much?

Long summer ahead. Tallon on record saying we want to target another d-man. With as many forwards we now have, I can see us trading some of them. Just sit back, relax and try to enjoy your summer instead of *****ing already.

Chino Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Chino Oscar

Quote:

Chino Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:52 AM
vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Missed the point though, why are we signing those players then if thats all they are looking for? If we cant get guys who want to come here to play via free agency, there are plenty of moves we could make via trades. There was a flurry of trades too where guys could've made sense here...Neal, Vey, Bollig, Purcell, Gagner, Thompson, Parenteau, Gorges (not even to mention the availability of Lecavalier who's willing to come here). I could easily take 5 guys off that list over the 5 skaters we signed yesterday. And none of those other guys cost an arm & a leg in trade or had really bad contracts.
u honestly dont think tallon tried any of these? jesus... theres too much behind the scenes that we know nothing about to say we could have done this or that... tallons job is on the line im sure he explored every option... to say otherwise is ridiculous imo

vendetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
I think Vrbata would signed 5x3 with us. I doubth Tallon even contacted him because most likely he didnt like his intangibles or character because that's only what matters it seems

We were promised top line winger(s) and none have been delivered unless he pulls off a trade for one I'm gonna be really disappointed and pretty much not trust a single thing that comes out of DT mouth again

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:14 AM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

The following isn't targeted at anyone in particular.
These aren't excuses. These are facts. Like gravity, or the earth being a sphere.

1) Florida is not currently the most attractive team for players.
2) Money isn't the only factor.

If your point is dismissing or circumventing those two facts, then there's something else going on in your life. I suggest a better outlet for venting your frustrations. Physical activity? Meditation? I don't know, maybe do some traveling.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:20 AM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I think Vrbata would signed 5x3 with us. I doubth Tallon even contacted him because most likely he didnt like his intangibles or character because that's only what matters it seems

We were promised top line winger(s) and none have been delivered unless he pulls off a trade for one I'm gonna be really disappointed and pretty much not trust a single thing that comes out of DT mouth again
Did he promise? I'm sure he's working on it, but again... he just can't go out and buy one. Someone (either the player (FA) or team (trade)) has to agree to it. I've heard Tallon state what his plans are for the off-season and what type of players/positions he wants to get/fill.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:21 AM
vendetta

i am a huge fan of all our signings... bolland while overpaid terribly and too much term we needed him... mackenzie too... u guys underestimate what these solid center can do for jugs and barky... they will take a majority of our defensive zone draws and barkov and bjugs can now focus more on offense... now barkov doesnt have to go up against crosby and tavares etc getting hemmed in our zone... we now have enough energy and vets like mitchell bolland thornton that noone can take shift off without getting called out by their teammates instead of just the coach... it makes a huge difference in compete level and accountability.. something we really lacked last year in alot of games and u could see how good we were when we busted our ***** which should happen more consistently now... and for all those wanting to trade flash... he is our only 60 pt forward... lead our team in scoring until last year... give him a break... u want real talent? top 6 forward? hes one of our most talented winger and u wanna ship him off... un ****ing believable... give him more than a **** year with a **** team that everything went bad for... he can and i believe will bounce back and score 25 ish goals.50 ish points.. we clearly have too many forwards and could use a trade for a d man... i would love boychuk... having shore trocheck howden petro in the minors will be great for them hopefully they can develope a bit more and start dominating down there and maybe they can develope into scoring threats

vendetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
u honestly dont think tallon tried any of these? jesus... theres too much behind the scenes that we know nothing about to say we could have done this or that... tallons job is on the line im sure he explored every option... to say otherwise is ridiculous imo
Honestly no I dont think he tried any of those because many were had for just draft picks. I'm sure the teams that traded those players would've been interested just as much if not moreso in our draft picks. Lets look closer at just those guys and not ones where players were moved for other players:

Gorges for a 2nd in 2016, would've been worth it no question and its not like Buffalo is a better destination than us (Gorges had to waive his NTC to go there) and wouldnt touch our 2015 draft picks either.

Brandon Bollig for a 3rd in 2014, almost positive he was a Tallon draft pick and has won a SC so he would've been a better option than drafting Lammikko and waiting for several yrs

Linden Vey for a 2nd in 2014, an NHL ready prospect who got some NHL experience this yr with the Kings, he's a guy who can play RW and could've stepped right into our lineup instead of having to wait & hope Hawryluk becomes as good

Tallon should've at least inquired about the first 2 without question. We needed a top 4 d-man and Gorges would've been a great fit. Bollig could've at least been a younger option than Thornton/MacKenzie (neither of whom really address any needs if you ask me) IMO.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote