HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2005, 12:09 PM
MentalPowerHouse

vCash: 500
Don Cherry

What do you think his reaction will be to the new leafs? What will he say about the players they lost and more importantly the ones brought in?

Personally I am really looking forward to hear what he has to say about the polish prince...

Old
09-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
What do you think his reaction will be to the new leafs? What will he say about the players they lost and more importantly the ones brought in?

Personally I am really looking forward to hear what he has to say about the polish prince...
Knowing Cherry he will focus on the signings that he likes if left to his own train of though and run out of time before getting to the Polish Prince. I know that he loves Lindros and O'Neil and he is sure to rant and rave about these signings. Also expect some talk about the deat of O'Neil's brother in the car accident and how good a man Atlanta's GM was to trade him to the Leafs as a way of showing his support.

I can't remember how he feels about Allison, but since he played for the Bruins and is "a good Canadain boy" I am sure that Cherry will have pleanty of good things to say about this signing to. The only way that I see our Polish royalty getting any air time on Coach's Courner will be if he make a spectacularly horrible play somewhere and Cherry decides to single it out.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse

I'm looking forward to how he pronounces MC's name.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Seeing as how he still can't pronounce Domi's, I doubt he will even gives MC's a try.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:55 PM
mydnyte

don't really care what he says, he's a racist biggot and a huge hypocrite to boot.

Old
09-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
don't really care what he says, he's a racist biggot and a huge hypocrite to boot.

Not sure about hypocrite but the first two adjectives are reasonable.

He has some good things to say but he is a bit of an anachronism.

Old
09-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Chatkozky

Take it to the bank.

Old
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
BuppY
100% Aloe Vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Knowing Cherry he will focus on the signings that he likes if left to his own train of though and run out of time before getting to the Polish Prince. I know that he loves Lindros and O'Neil and he is sure to rant and rave about these signings. Also expect some talk about the deat of O'Neil's brother in the car accident and how good a man Atlanta's GM was to trade him to the Leafs as a way of showing his support.

I can't remember how he feels about Allison, but since he played for the Bruins and is "a good Canadain boy" I am sure that Cherry will have pleanty of good things to say about this signing to. The only way that I see our Polish royalty getting any air time on Coach's Courner will be if he make a spectacularly horrible play somewhere and Cherry decides to single it out.
You mean Carolina, for their i thought you were talking about my buddy Dany Heatley.

Old
09-09-2005, 03:26 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Not sure about hypocrite but the first two adjectives are reasonable.

if a player he likes does something he'll try to make an excuse for it, if it's a euro player, he'll call it a cheap shot. ...didnt he once try to justify Clarke's slash at the original canada vs ussr tourney?

Old
09-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
He certainly dresses like an anachronism, that's for sure.

Old
09-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:

Simply put, no he's not. Cherry is a incredible pro-Canada guy. While that sometimes comes out as anti-other, its not his main priority. Does he think Canadian hockey players are tougher then Russians? Yep. He takes it a couple steps further and slams Russians because he's on television. If all Cherry did was analyze a la Pierre Magurie no one would watch the 1st intermission.

Old
09-09-2005, 04:04 PM
rhettmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper
Simply put, no he's not. Cherry is a incredible pro-Canada guy. While that sometimes comes out as anti-other, its not his main priority. Does he think Canadian hockey players are tougher then Russians? Yep. He takes it a couple steps further and slams Russians because he's on television. If all Cherry did was analyze a la Pierre Magurie no one would watch the 1st intermission.
Yeah, Don Cherry is just pro-Canadian. And David Duke is just pro-white...

Old
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettmatic
People who claim cherry is a racist i guarentee are the same type of people who think prez bush went into iraq for oil....

cherry is a canadian icon and says what 70% of the folks watching are thinkin anyhow...the other 30% are watchin cause there curious.

Old
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
you're right, it makes much more sense to compare Cherry to the KKK

Old
09-09-2005, 04:11 PM
rhettmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
People who claim cherry is a racist i guarentee are the same type of people who think prez bush went into iraq for oil....
Haha, actually, you're right (at least in my case.)

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that Cherry is racist (necessarily.) He's just totally uneducated, bigoted and xenophobic.

Old
09-09-2005, 04:13 PM
rhettmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper
you're right, it makes much more sense to compare Cherry to the KKK
I just kinda said this above (After you posted though, I know), but I didn't mean to imply that he was a supporter of the KKK or anything like that. But Duke and many modern racists claim that they're "pro-white" rather than anti-Black or anti-semetic. So the pro-Canadian claim seemed a bit dubious to me...

Old
09-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
I just kinda said this above (After you posted though, I know), but I didn't mean to imply that he was a supporter of the KKK or anything like that. But Duke and many modern racists claim that they're "pro-white" rather than anti-Black or anti-semetic. So the pro-Canadian claim seemed a bit dubious to me...

see Cherry around some vets, that proves it PRO CANADIAN more then anti-russian

Old
09-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
That's a little bit of an unfair assessment of Cherry. When a Canadian like him is being passionate about his country and how we develop our players or such. We call him racist when an American does it he is being patriotic and its acceptable. Don is just speaking from the heart and it don't always come out the right way but 90% of the time he is bang on. The guy eats sleeps and breaths Canada and hockey he shows how much passion he has for our country and game and people **** on him for doing so..

Old
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Boy can i call them, speaking of uneducated... Have a good one.

Old
09-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Frankie

i love don! as pro-canadian as they come!!

there's not enough of it in this country, and definitely not enough of it on tv!

Old
09-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that Cherry is racist (necessarily.) He's just totally uneducated, bigoted and xenophobic.

I think you hit it on the head.

Cherry isn't racist. I mean, his favourite player is Jarome Iginla...

He is, however, xenophobic.

Cherry's fears have little to do with blood, ethnicity, appearance or accent and more to do with culture. Cherry believes in a Canadian style of Hockey and, one would assume, a Canadian style of life. He sees the influence of others - foreigners - who have been brought up to play the game differently as a threat and an insult to what he sees as the 'proper way to play the game'.

I used to share the opinion that Cherry was merely a passionately pro-Canadian kind of guy, one whose old-fashion up-bringing led him at times to come off as bigoted and prejudice, but who in the end was decent and well intentioned.

I changed my opinion after I heard an interview with Cherry on the radio this past year. The issue of politics came up, and the question of what Grapes' agenda would be if he were P.M was posed. Cherry's first response was that he was "an old Reform boy"... right away a warning of what was to come. Anyways, Cherry went on to outline some basic ideas he would implement if were Prime Minister. At face value, his ideas were somewhat respectable and one could see some logic. However looking at it closely, I couldn't help but notice the trend that everything Cherry said ended up harping on the same theme: the impact of the "other".

I don't recall the entire interview, but I do remember him bringing up the issue of immigration and the idea of cutting the number of immigrants Canada would let in.

A lot of people might jump to conclusions and automatically point to this as proof positive of Cherry being a racist. I wouldn't. I think there's a solid argument as to why immigration should be reduced and that it's not a position that should be automatically shunned.

However, what changed my perspective on this was Cherry's other ideas. For example, Cherry said that he'd focus all investment on helping Canadians before sending any aid overseas.

Again, at first glance a fairly noble idea. But I think this statement reveals quite a bit about Cherry's mentality and the way he sees things. For example, the statement suggests that, in Cherry's mind, any suffering on the part of Canadians can be blamed on foreigners - whether they be immigrants or those overseas. If Cherry is that concerned about the well being of Canadians, why does he focus on the foreigner issue? He seems to think that the problems of the ordinary Canadian can all be erased if we just stop thinking about people overseas. It reveals a bitterness and prejudice in Cherry that forces him to see every situation in the scope of the blame game - and the blame, in Cherry's case, almost always goes to the "other"... the immigrant, the foreigner.

From what I recall, his entire answer went along these lines, always coming back to this theme. Of course, it's possible that my memory is failing me, and the entire answer wasn't uite this foreigner focused. But even if that's true, I think the answers that I do remember and that I've posted here do reveal quite a bit about Cherry.

I should say, I'm not anti-Cherry. As others have noted, despite his flaws, there are times when he is a strong and important voice for Canada and Canadian hockey. Everything he says isn't dosed in this prejudice that I see, and that which isn't often has a lot of value. He called BS, and rightfully so, on the Bloc-heads when they *****ed and whined about too many Canadian flags being displayed in the athletes village in Nagano; this at a time where many Canadians were afraid to speak out against Quebec (and still are). He sticks up for a type game that, while may be antiquated, is still noble and something that a lot of young players could learn a lot from. For example, the idea of modesty and not disrespecting your opponents. Cherry's prejudice may make people see this as racism, but there's value in what he says. Watch the clip of Orr's famous end-to-end goal. Watch his reaction after he scores - he keeps his head down as to not embarrass the opposition. That's right out of the Don Cherry school of hockey. You may not want to agree with Grapes, but would you disagree with Orr? Again, there are things that Cherry says that have value and truth.

As Canadians we also tend to far too critical of ourselves, and far to hesitant of sticking up for our own and being proud. In the long run, this is probably more of a good thing than bad. But at the same time, I think it's important that we have Don Cherry to act as an occassional counter-weight to that.

Last edited by Yes Im Peter Ing: 09-09-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old
09-09-2005, 05:30 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Sounds like my entire generation.. (including me)

But I expect him to priase Lindros, Allison, O'Neill, Tucker, and possibley Stajan as good canadian boys that are bargains..and etc.

Old
09-09-2005, 05:33 PM
psod

I don't mind Cherry as long as his commentary refers to what happens on the ice. He knows hockey, and he knows it well.

However, the momment he starts blabbering about what's going on in current events around the world I feel like tossing my beer bottle at the tv screen.

If he would just stick to hockey I'd have no problem with him at all.

Old
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Augustus

Quote:

cherry is a canadian icon and says what 70% of the folks watching are thinkin anyhow...the other 30% are watchin cause there curious.

Great Canadian redneck post.

Old
09-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
I believe both and also feel both are pretty obvious.

Closed Thread