HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

SJS/EDM - Marleau/Thornton/Burns vs. RNH/Eberle/1st(2017)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2014, 12:52 PM
  #26
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Maybe the Oilers can make the playoffs this year and blow a 3 game lead.
Good one!


... wait I stopped after make the playoffs. I guess the rest of it was a good zinger too.

Arrch is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 12:56 PM
  #27
A91
Registered User
 
A91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
No thanks. Would be tough for me to trade 15 years of RNH alone for 3 years of Marleau and Joe plus Burns whos contract also expires in 3 years. Let alone adding Eberle and a 1st.
No real need for a LW with Hall, Perron, and Poulot either. Plus with Draistal coming up I'd rather have RNH over Thornton.

A91 is online now  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
  #28
simperi
Mc
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 223
vCash: 50
Oh god no. The value is not there, and is just declining in the future.

simperi is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:03 PM
  #29
sa3l33
Registered User
 
sa3l33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Sharks take this and run.

sa3l33 is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:04 PM
  #30
spintops
Registered User
 
spintops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 838
vCash: 500
Don't really like the deal for either side, but not sure why Edmonton fans are acting like it's ludicrous. Eventually you have to do something besides collect high draft picks? Now you are trading them away for nothing after their value declines like Sam Gagner. Maybe signing bottom 6 forwards to big deals is the answer.

spintops is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:06 PM
  #31
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 46,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
If you think you will get anyone of RNH calibre or Eberle for aging vets like that well good luck to you, because no gm will sell out their future elite building blocks for 2 seasons of the same production.
I'm not saying they would get better caliber players but if they move Burns, Thornton, and Marleau, they will need more than two quality players in their prime back to improve their odds at going somewhere. They would do better selling them off individually because they already have holes to address before they consider moving three more pieces for two.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
  #32
McPuritania
5-14-6-1
 
McPuritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Novigrad
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,716
vCash: 50
Pretty sure he meant any one of those players from each team for anyone of the players from the other team. Not three assets for three assets. That being said, no from Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintops View Post
Don't really like the deal for either side, but not sure why Edmonton fans are acting like it's ludicrous. Eventually you have to do something besides collect high draft picks? Now you are trading them away for nothing after their value declines like Sam Gagner. Maybe signing bottom 6 forwards to big deals is the answer.
So you think the answer is to trade RNH for three years of Joe Thornton? Fantastic idea.

McPuritania is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
  #33
Del McPreston
LOOCH
 
Del McPreston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,952
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintops View Post
Don't really like the deal for either side, but not sure why Edmonton fans are acting like it's ludicrous. Eventually you have to do something besides collect high draft picks? Now you are trading them away for nothing after their value declines like Sam Gagner. Maybe signing bottom 6 forwards to big deals is the answer.
The young players like Hall, RNH, and Eberle have hardly been the problem. It's been the lack of NHL talent around them. MacTavish has started to address this over the past two offseasons.

"Do something" does not mean trading your top C and top RW of the next 10-15 years for two players that will be retired in five seasons. This is a brutal deal for Edmonton.

Del McPreston is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:11 PM
  #34
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not saying they would get better caliber players but if they move Burns, Thornton, and Marleau, they will need more than two quality players in their prime back to improve their odds at going somewhere. They would do better selling them off individually because they already have holes to address before they consider moving three more pieces for two.
You forget how little Kesler and Spezza just returned? This package is miles better than the quantity you would get back. Bunch of 2nd Rd'ers and some B level prospects.

Smif is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
  #35
spintops
Registered User
 
spintops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Pretty sure he meant any one of those players from each team for anyone of the players from the other team. Not three assets for three assets. That being said, no from Edmonton.



So you think the answer is to trade RNH for three years of Joe Thornton? Fantastic idea.
I guess you missed the part where I said I don't like this deal for them. But it's time to make some kind of move, trade for a real veteran star that is going to get that team somewhere.

spintops is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
  #36
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
This is the type of trade Edmonton would do if they were contending, but I can't see the Sharks ever doing this. RNH and Eberle aren't the type of players DW builds around. And I feel like Brent Burns isn't even being considered...

Big no from the Sharks, big no from the Oilers, why is anyone arguing?

SnarkAttack is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
  #37
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 46,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
You forget how little Kesler and Spezza just returned? This package is miles better than the quantity you would get back. Bunch of 2nd Rd'ers and some B level prospects.
I don't see how that's relevant since Kesler and Spezza are inferior players on worse contracts than Thornton and Marleau. The Sharks have other needs than what Eberle and RNH would provide even with how good they are. They would be going in a different direction looking to address other things that are likely more beneficial to their long-term health.

Pinkfloyd is online now  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:19 PM
  #38
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
This should be voted as one of the craziest proposals ever.

Gilligans Island is online now  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
  #39
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 500
This is truly awful for Edmonton, and a good deal for San Jose.


Edmonton would be crazy to trade those young valuable pieces for 2 aging vets and a #2/3 Dman.


If San Jose was offered that package for Marleau and Thornton they take it pretty easily. Sure it means they probably aren't quite as good for a couple of years, but it makes them a lot younger, and with 2 guys in RNH and Eberle who have the ability to be just as good if not better then Thornton and Marleau.



Pretty easy yes from San Jose IMO.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:28 PM
  #40
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 32,072
vCash: 50
This isn't a good deal for San Jose.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
  #41
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,570
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
This is truly awful for Edmonton, and a good deal for San Jose.


Edmonton would be crazy to trade those young valuable pieces for 2 aging vets and a #2/3 Dman.


If San Jose was offered that package for Marleau and Thornton they take it pretty easily. Sure it means they probably aren't quite as good for a couple of years, but it makes them a lot younger, and with 2 guys in RNH and Eberle who have the ability to be just as good if not better then Thornton and Marleau.



Pretty easy yes from San Jose IMO.
There is so much wrong with this.

1. It's pretty rich to call Burns a #2/3 D-man. We're talking about a 6'5" 40-point defenseman who is above average defensively. He's at worst an excellent #2, and probably a low-end #1.

2. If the Sharks were offered this package for just Thornton and Marleau, then I'd certainly consider it. However, you're ignoring the most valuable asset in the deal.

3. RNH and Eberle aren't even in the same stratosphere as Thornton and Marleau right now. Yeah, in 3 years they may be. But they don't have the upside that Thornton and Marleau have shown the past 5 years. So if a prime Thornton and Marleau can't win the Cup, what makes you think that RNH and Eberle ever will?

4. Why would the Sharks trade their two best players for a couple of complacent losers? Edmonton has fostered a culture of losing for the past 8 years, and it has to have infected those two. They don't have a second gear, and especially Eberle gives zero craps about defensive hockey or being a team player.

5. Besides, the Sharks don't take party guys. Especially ones that alienate young players who don't like to party.

6. Thornton and Marleau would never waive for Edmonton. Why would they? They're leaving a team that consistently makes the playoffs in a great city to go to an iceberg of futility?

Seriously, keep RNH's half-broken shoulders and Eberle's lackadaisical defensive effort. I'd much rather draft our own young players than take your seconds.

Juxtaposer is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:35 PM
  #42
McPuritania
5-14-6-1
 
McPuritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Novigrad
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,716
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintops View Post
I guess you missed the part where I said I don't like this deal for them. But it's time to make some kind of move, trade for a real veteran star that is going to get that team somewhere.
Well he isn't going to take them somewhere if he retires in a couple years. I never said I was unwilling to to move assets to get better, it's just poor asset management to trade a (hopefully) future star for an old soon to be retired star.

Jux, that was a nasty post aimed at someone who isn't even an Oilers fan. Sheesh, no need to be so salty.

McPuritania is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM
  #43
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,240
vCash: 500
Jux just summed up my thoughts on the matter.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:37 PM
  #44
Astrowolf
Registered User
 
Astrowolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
IMO, Edmonton has to deal Eberle and Yakupov away before every team realizes they aren't great team players. But this deal still is a big no.

Astrowolf is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
  #45
MJ65
Registered User
 
MJ65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,011
vCash: 500
Leafs fan here - not sure, how can you even talk about this

Does not make any sense for the oilers

MJ65 is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
  #46
spintops
Registered User
 
spintops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Well he isn't going to take them somewhere if he retires in a couple years. I never said I was unwilling to to move assets to get better, it's just poor asset management to trade a (hopefully) future star for an old soon to be retired star.
Every fan loves their own players, but Edmonton fans seem to consider all their prospects future stars and think they will get the moon back for them in a deal.

spintops is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:41 PM
  #47
Mafoofoo
Jawesome
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 14,749
vCash: 500
How is this even a contest?

Burns, Thornton and Marleau vs RNH, Eberle and a 14 year old kid in a bar room brawl?

The Edmonton kids would be slaughtered.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:41 PM
  #48
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,779
vCash: 500
Sharks fans saying no?

The Nuge and Eberle are probably the two best players in the deal. Both are on free upswing. While Thornton and Marleau are fading fast.

The Nuge, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, and Eberle would be an excellent young forward core to move forward with.

blankall is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:45 PM
  #49
McPuritania
5-14-6-1
 
McPuritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Novigrad
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,716
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintops View Post
Every fan loves their own players, but Edmonton fans seem to consider all their prospects future stars and think they will get the moon back for them in a deal.
Yup that's it. Fine, take Hall for whatever you deem is fair. Do you like me now?

McPuritania is offline  
Old
07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
  #50
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't see how that's relevant since Kesler and Spezza are inferior players on worse contracts than Thornton and Marleau. The Sharks have other needs than what Eberle and RNH would provide even with how good they are. They would be going in a different direction looking to address other things that are likely more beneficial to their long-term health.
GM's would kill to get blue chippers back in a return but they don't happen anymore. Deals like Nieuwendyk for Iginla have been replaced by a pick, B prospect, and a 40 point 23 year old. Gimme the 55 point 20 year old over that package all day long.

Smif is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.