HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen 1yr 2.5M

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  #251
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Salomaki is criminally underrated on these boards. I think he has a legit shot of making the team over someone like Beck. He plays a strong two-way game, got 50pts (20g 30a) with the Ads last season and showed great versatility. He is a fiery competitor and is a guy I would want on my 3rd line to add scoring and grit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRW5xoX6j1Q

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:12 PM
  #252
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 12,642
vCash: 500
I like Salomaki a lot. But I like Sissons better. Both likely top out as 3rd liners however. Watson still needs to win me over.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:45 AM
  #253
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,138
vCash: 500
Well I originally laughed out loud when I saw we signed Olli, but mostly for the gifs and his looks. As long as he is Spaling's replacement then that's totally fine.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:26 AM
  #254
Finnpin
"internet"
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,669
vCash: 500
1 year and only 2.5M for 40-50 pts or even more.

Olli used to be a dbag when he was a kid but not anymore. He is grown up family man...and IMO have got too much **** from the fans and media in past few years.

Jokinen was team Finland's captain few months ago in the World Champs. The underdog and by the fans "worst team ever" got silver.

If it doesn't work, he is gone next year. Not a big thing.

OJ's wife Katerina (half Greek) is very liked in the community and by other players gf's/wives.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
  #255
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 500
I'm not sure I still like it, but its not horrible if he's a guy that is basically replacing Spaling.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:27 AM
  #256
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
I'm not sure I still like it, but its not horrible if he's a guy that is basically replacing Spaling.
Good point...

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:48 AM
  #257
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,124
vCash: 557
Which is ok, I was just wanting to see Watson with a shot at Spaling spot.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:30 AM
  #258
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Which is ok, I was just wanting to see Watson with a shot at Spaling spot.
Which is the whole point of having guys like him and Cullen around this year - we can give the kids a shot and if they're good enough they play, if they need protected minutes we got vets to play the tougher ones. If they aren't good enough - well, a few like Watson and Beck might be done - but we'll know.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:33 AM
  #259
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Which is the whole point of having guys like him and Cullen around this year - we can give the kids a shot and if they're good enough they play, if they need protected minutes we got vets to play the tougher ones. If they aren't good enough - well, a few like Watson and Beck might be done - but we'll know.
I agree that is why we have those veterans around but where has it gotten us? We will either boom with the young kids and all will be well or we will be picking in the 8-12 range with the vets getting more ice time. If we are going to sink I would preffer it be the young guys and we sink to a top 5 pick at worst. You have to be bad in this league before you are playing for the cup.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
  #260
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Schroedingers box
Country: United States
Posts: 24,544
vCash: 50
The kids are going to get screwed this year, at least initially. The owners have given the directive that this team needs to get back to the playoffs, period. In a situation like this allowing the young kids to play is a luxury we cannot afford.

Jarnkrok os probably the only rookie looking at a regular shift. Beck or Watson may make the team but will likely be frequent scratches, at least early on. The only way the young kids get to play much this year is if they take advantage of injuries and quickly make a good impression when they get the chance to play.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:32 AM
  #261
thecloser
Registered User
 
thecloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NASHVILLE, TN
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
can we be in on Sharp for Wilson + Watson + 1st

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:36 AM
  #262
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
can we be in on Sharp for Wilson + Watson + 1st
No way I'd give up our 2015 1st, the draft is stacked with talent and right now I think we'll be in the top 10.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:40 AM
  #263
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
It would be odd if Legwand would sign with Winnepeg since we signed Olie

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:42 AM
  #264
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
I hope if we're out of the playoff hunt by the trade deadline this season that we SELL SELL SELL. Get some of the old boys out and make way for the fresh blood season after. Our prospect pool of forwards if probably top 5 in terms of depth.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:42 AM
  #265
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
No way I'd give up our 2015 1st, the draft is stacked with talent and right now I think we'll be in the top 10.
Thats absurd if we could land Patrick Sharp for 2015 1st and the players listed theres no way Poile does not do it. Sharp is a proven player and a draft pick is no guarantee. Again there is enough promising forwards in the pipeline not to take this chance.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:46 AM
  #266
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Thats absurd if we could land Patrick Sharp for 2015 1st and the players listed theres no way Poile does not do it. Sharp is a proven player and a draft pick is no guarantee. Again there is enough promising forwards in the pipeline not to take this chance.
The idea that the Blackhawks would trade Sharp to us is an absurd one to begin with.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:51 AM
  #267
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
The idea that the Blackhawks would trade Sharp to us is an absurd one to begin with.
Can't argue that, but they are stuck in cap hell and if they feel they need to add other pieces on the blueline or in net to get them back to the cup they will have to make a big decision. Not unlike the decision that will face the Nashville GM on Jones in a few years when he is ready to cash in. Keep him and stay pat or address other needs.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:58 AM
  #268
bdub24
Formerly Section 212
 
bdub24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laffy
Country: United States
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 50
I am stumped because I am only about three years into really being a hockey fan - so I need help from Enoch and the rest of the gang that says it's Poile's fault UFAs don't want to come here, or players wont take Nashville off of their NTC lists.

Guys - please name the GM that would be better. OR provide an example of a GM in a similar small hockey market/no media presence/no deep playoff history that landed a big name in free agency.

I can read and re-read all of the Poile should be accountable for the lack of results. What I would like to read is who are the alternatives, or is there a track record out there from a team in a similar situation having dramatically different results that forms the basis of your logic?

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:00 AM
  #269
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 50
Im not sure you guys even look at how players fair after being drafted.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

Not to mention the Preds abysmal record of drafting and developing forwards.

Sure Sharp is 32 but will have another 3 good years in him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

Not to mention he would be playing a more important role on this team and in Chicago. Now theres no way that this trade would ever happen within the division but if they move Sharp to the east there will be much crying here about how Poile did not go after him I promise that.

This team needs to be fixed now, the team is not good enough to make the playoffs but is good enough to finish right outside the playoffs and pick 8 thru 11. And get yet another guy that will take 3 to 5 years to develop.


Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 07-03-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: QDP
Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:03 AM
  #270
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Im not sure you guys even look at how players fair after being drafted.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

Not to mention the Preds abysmal record of drafting and developing forwards.

Sure Sharp is 32 but will have another 3 good years in him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

Not to mention he would be playing a more important role on this team and in Chicago. Now theres no way that this trade would ever happen within the division but if they move Sharp to the east there will be much crying here about how Poile did not go after him I promise that.

This team needs to be fixed now, the team is not good enough to make the playoffs but is good enough to finish right outside the playoffs and pick 8 thru 11. And get yet another guy that will take 3 to 5 years to develop.
The thing is you do not give up a likely lottery 1st round pick in a draft that is said to have at least one generational type talent if not two. Especially for a 32 year old forward.

this years draft is another story but not 2015.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:20 AM
  #271
thecloser
Registered User
 
thecloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NASHVILLE, TN
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
i only proposed it because I have heard multiple times on nhl network radio that Sharp may become available due to cap reasons and the re-signings of Kane and Toews.

I added Watson because I think the "prospect" Chicago would want back has to be close to NHL ready and that's where I view Watson, almost ready or ready to some people.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:20 AM
  #272
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
I am stumped because I am only about three years into really being a hockey fan - so I need help from Enoch and the rest of the gang that says it's Poile's fault UFAs don't want to come here, or players wont take Nashville off of their NTC lists.

Guys - please name the GM that would be better. OR provide an example of a GM in a similar small hockey market/no media presence/no deep playoff history that landed a big name in free agency.

I can read and re-read all of the Poile should be accountable for the lack of results. What I would like to read is who are the alternatives, or is there a track record out there from a team in a similar situation having dramatically different results that forms the basis of your logic?
There are many here that point to Poile as a failure since in the short history of the team it has not produced a cup. Others including me think he has been too conservative in his approach to acquiring and drafting players. The truth of the matter is that there are few GM's that have got there teams into the playoffs more often than Poile since the team was formed. Let me clarify, in the modern era. It is unacceptable to may of the posters here that they may be worm food before this team plays for a cup. They will not consider that the Blues have never won one in 40 years, or that it was 40 years between cups in Chicago or that the Oil have missed the playoffs most years since winning the cup in 1990, the Leafs last won the cup in 1967.


On the flip side the Pens were a joke for a number of years prior to Sid and Malkin which turned players minds arround aboiut playing there. But they suffered a number of years finishing in the bottom of the league before the Sid windfall and turnarround. And that was pretty much a flip of the coin getting them first pick that year.

There are so many factors to building a successful team that the GM is only part of, yet they get 100% of the blame. I would like to see Poile replaced but in truth he has been one of the top 10 GM's in the league since he took the job here. But it seems time for new blood just as it was with Trotz moving on.

Players want to play for a winning program in the NHL MOST have the goal of winning a cup, playing on a home team or cashing in the three most prominent reasons a player over 27 uses to make a decision where to play. Right now Poile will not throw down the cash needed and the team is not remotly close to being cup competitive and Nashville is not where alot of top talent was bvorn and raised. So the Cash and competitive pieces must be worked on as the two factors to entice the better players to want to play here.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:23 AM
  #273
Wrong Box Legwand
Registered User
 
Wrong Box Legwand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
In related news, here's something to feel warm and fuzzy about:

https://www.twitter.com/MrsJoki/stat...13291223019521

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:27 AM
  #274
thecloser
Registered User
 
thecloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NASHVILLE, TN
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Salomaki is criminally underrated on these boards. I think he has a legit shot of making the team over someone like Beck. He plays a strong two-way game, got 50pts (20g 30a) with the Ads last season and showed great versatility. He is a fiery competitor and is a guy I would want on my 3rd line to add scoring and grit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRW5xoX6j1Q
i agree with Salomaki. I've been on his train for a while. Would love to see him get a shot at the NHL level but like others have said, we have a lot of NHL ready forwards, just not the dynamic ones we all wish we had.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
  #275
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
The thing is you do not give up a likely lottery 1st round pick in a draft that is said to have at least one generational type talent if not two. Especially for a 32 year old forward.

this years draft is another story but not 2015.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68856

This was the odds of winning the draft lottery this year granted there are going to be changes next year.

Picking 11th the Preds had a 1.5 % chance of winning the lottery this past draft. Next season lets imagine the team struggles and has the 3rd pick now thats a streach there are 5 teams in the league worse now but lets say they finish third from the bottom the chances increase to 14.2 % for the McDavid bonanza. Not to mention the pain of enduring a pitiful year to get to that point.

I swear im ridiculed for being negitive but this is about the worst case of fan support I can imagine. Dismissing a chance to make the team better for a 14% chance to win the lottery. That blows my mind.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.