HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen 1yr 2.5M

Old
07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Mercalius

vCash: 500
Kristopher Martel ‏@ThePredatorial 3m
Poile on Jokinen via press release - "He provides our coaching staff with more depth and options at the forward position"

Good to see he's not proclaiming him as a 1C

Mercalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Neal - Wilson - Fisher
Forsberg - Järnkrok - Smith
Stålberg - Jokinen - Cullen
Nystrom - Gaustad - Bourque
Clune

Jokinen is cheap and the term is right. Nashville is not getting past the teams in the Central. Either Poile pulls something off or we'll be picking middle of the pack as we miss the playoffs again.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I really think Poile thinks the kids are ready (Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Wilson) to take big steps forward. I don't know if I agree, but I think that's his mindset.

Neal-Jokinen-Smith
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Wilson/Nystrom
Cullen-Fisher-Bourque
Stalberg-Gaustad-Clune

Wilson will get worked in at center here and there - when Fisher inevitably gets hurt, if Jokinen falters, etc. The top 3 centers (and Wilson) are moveable up and down the lines

We're certainly no worse off than last year.
This has to be Wilson's year, he needs to cement himself as a valuable part of the team or he'll continue to be what he is. He's got to get enough time to sink or swim this year.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:36 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
He's been here for 17 years. Is it really that fast?
I mean everyone was calling poile a genius after getting us forsberg, then next deadline we get jarnkrok and then when we got Neal at the deadline people were ecstatic!!

And now we sign jokinen and poile is the worst gm in hockey.

If this is the only add for Neal to play with I will admit it's pretty lame, but as I said, the 2014-2015 season doesn't start tomorrow, be patient guys, lots of time for moves still.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
I'm just frustrated. Frustrated about most every facet of the state of Nashville Predators hockey.
Some pros:
Exciting draft this year
Neal/jarnkrok/forsberg deals
Switch to offensive style of hockey

Yeah the trades above are mitigated by several disasters the past few years: gaustad for a first, Franson for 1.5 million in cap relief for 2 years (which went unused), Klein for del zotto, gill trade and resigning .... But the above good trades have done a lot for a depleted system.

Poile is Poile. Patient. Relatively passive. Defense first.

Let's hope he isn't done! Still 12.5 million in cap space.

07-02-2014, 03:41 PM
RCola88

This is just a depth signing guys, everyone needs to chill that is irate. He's probably good for 30+ points and is our #3 center, just makes me wonder why we do with Wilson/Jarnkrok..

Lavy said Olli is good for our system so this is a low risk pick up. He played well at the World Championships and the Olympics

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Persona5

I honestly want to see the kids play this season. sink or swim we go with them all year and see what happens. We will either be good or really bad and I'm ok with that. This signing just pushes us into the middle range where we won't stink and we won't be good. That is not how team get better in the NHL especially in a small market.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Better than nothing. If Wilson can't beat out Olli for ice time then it's time to move on from him.

Jarnkrok likely needs more time before we can rely on him. Wouldn't surprise me to see him spend a little more time in Milwaukee. He's only been in North America for 1 year.

Both Olli and Neal are decent at shootouts. So we should improve there.

That's about as positive as I can get lol

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Poile, much like our team, leaves you always wanting a little more.

Great moves/play surrounded by mediocrity.

I don't mind this move, he's better than Roy, IMHO. Apparently Lavi thinks OJ will be good in this system. I guess who are we to question it right now. I have my doubts but we'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Osprey

I'm OK with this. Obviously, he's not ideal, but he can help, and the money and term are very agreeable. He's extremely durable, missing not a single game in the last 3 seasons, only 3 games in the last 5 and only 9 games in the last 10 seasons. He's versatile because he can be put out there in all situations, so that some of the younger guys aren't thrust into situations that they're not prepared for (and which might hurt their confidence if they struggle in). If he re-kindles some of his scoring touch, it could become a very good signing. If he doesn't, he can be relegated to a bottom-6 role player, benched entirely or waived and it won't be any loss.

If he pushes Jarnkrok back to the AHL, it's not the end of the world. Calle didn't exactly light the AHL up last year. Going back down and becoming a PPG player for 2/3rds of next season could help his development. Also, if he does that, Jokinen can be traded at the deadline (netting, maybe, a 3rd- or 4th-rounder) so that there's room to recall him. LA did this with Toffoli. He put up 0.5PPG in 10 RS games and in 12 playoff games last Spring, and looked to have made the NHL permanently, yet LA sent him back to the AHL at the end of training camp, not recalling him until after the Olympic break, and the rest is history. If Jarnkrok has a strong training camp, it'll be hard to justify sending him down, but if he's only OK or "good," starting the season in Milwaukee and being "the guy" there for a half of a season could do some good for his development and long-term NHL potential.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:01 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 50
Quote:
I really think Poile thinks the kids are ready (Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Wilson) to take big steps forward. I don't know if I agree, but I think that's his mindset.

Neal-Jokinen-Smith
Cullen-Fisher-Bourque
Stalberg-Gaustad-Clune

Wilson will get worked in at center here and there - when Fisher inevitably gets hurt, if Jokinen falters, etc. The top 3 centers (and Wilson) are moveable up and down the lines

If thats the case he shouldnt have gone public saying we were needing a 1C

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:06 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
theres not enough room on the check for all those zeroes, so I hear weber takes his signing bonus in cash... that would be the dump truck that was seen pulling up to his bank
Hear he prefers to be paid in Toonies.

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
LCPreds

I'm just pissed off like everyone else that we didn't just trade a few of our assets to get a top player. This really isn't all that hard. I don't understand why Poile didn't offer Wilson + Ellis + a 4th rounder in 2017 to get a Crosby type?

/sarcasm

(edited, changes Josi to Ellis for greater impact!)

Last edited by LCPreds: 07-02-2014 at 04:24 PM.
LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
I'm just pissed off like everyone else that we didn't just trade a few of our assets to get a top player. This really isn't all that hard. I don't understand why Poile didn't offer Wilson + Josi + a 4th rounder in 2017 to get a Crosby type?
Because that won't get you a Crosby type and no one is looking to trade a Crosby type.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
LCPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
Because that won't get you a Crosby type and no one is looking to trade a Crosby type.
Let me just add /sarcasm to the end of that post to make it more obvious. There are some folks here with some seriously out of whack expectations. Lurked for a long time now and the reaction to the past couple of days has been filled with mostly ridiculous expectations of... magic?

Old
07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
He didn't exactly reveal state secrets with that comment.

For years a major complaint about Preds forwards is they looked to pass when the shot was there. We now have Neal and Olli Jokinen to spread across the top nine with a shoot first mentality. The question is which of our other forwards fits best alongside Neal?

I can honestly only slot three forwards with any certainty right now ... Neal on the right wing of the top line, Gaustad centering the fourth, and Clune as the 13th forward/permascratch. I'm not sure if we see Fisher, Jarnkrok, Wilson, or Jokinen centering for Neal. I'm not sure which player Lavy envisions on his opposite wing. Is Forsberg ready this year? Does Stalberg get off the fourth line?

That's without any further moves ... and there have to be a couple more ... right?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
Let me just add /sarcasm to the end of that post to make it more obvious. There are some folks here with some seriously out of whack expectations. Lurked for a long time now and the reaction to the past couple of days has been filled with mostly ridiculous expectations of... magic?
Hence me not picking up the sarcasm. Sorry about that. The package (change the pick to 2015) could get a good forward. Obviously not Crosby level (Weber+) but it's a good package, which is the second reason I missed the sarcasm (plus not seeing 2017).

I'm fine with Jokinen. Not ideal, but Nashville isn't handcuffed for multiple years. With Jokinen, Fisher & Cullen (possibly Wilson if he doesn't produce) leaving after next season Poile gets another chance to try to find that elusive #1 center.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:

Neal-Jokinen-Smith
Cullen-Fisher-Bourque
Stalberg-Gaustad-Clune

You're really going to put Stalberg on the 4th line?

Old
07-02-2014, 04:21 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Lastly, I personally don't think Forsberg starts out in NSH. Think he'll start in MKE.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Wrong Box Legwand

Also per the presser, they'd prefer Jokinen on wing. So he's not our answer at center.

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:23 PM
LCPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
Hence me not picking up the sarcasm. Sorry about that. The package (change the pick to 2015) could get a good forward. Obviously not Crosby level (Weber+) but it's a good package, which is the second reason I missed the sarcasm (plus not seeing 2017).
I picked the wrong D man in my example anyway so definitely my fault. Meant to put Ellis which would have made it more obvious. That seems to be the common theme I see the most, let's just package up Wilson+Ellis+magic and you get a player that changes our future. It's just not realistic.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:24 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
Also per the presser, they'd prefer Jokinen on wing. So he's not our answer at center.
Also there are claims that they are closing on other deals... I said that a lot in college trying to score at bars too...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Quote:
True, more long on promise, short on delivery. It grows tiresome to hear Poile say what we need (as if we didn't know already) then fail to get it and go into backtrack mode about how we've already got guys who can step up their game and be that player.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Jokinen / Pick-A-Center / Neal ?
Stalberg-Bourque / Next-Center / Smith ?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I mean everyone was calling poile a genius after getting us forsberg, then next deadline we get jarnkrok and then when we got Neal at the deadline people were ecstatic!!

And now we sign jokinen and poile is the worst gm in hockey.
You remember only the good, and not the bad (especially never having any playoff success, ever). This was supposed to be the summer he finally delivered on his promise to get a #1 center, remember the "wake up call". OJ isn't getting it done.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote