HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen 1yr 2.5M

Old
07-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Poile knows he needs to get a centre or James Neal becomes Jeff carter from Columbus and poile gets fired.
I think there are more possible scenarios than those two, but I agree we need to convince Neal this isn't the worst thing that could have happened to him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
If you think a damn fruit basket and welcome Wagon are the only things that stand between us and signing FAs then I don't even know what to say.

Nashville is not some lost city that players have never been to or seen. They've played here or know people that have. It's not hard to find out about a city, and I don't think Poile kissing ass makes a bit of difference.
I never said anything about a fruit basket. Nor am I pushing the tripe you just posted.

A question was posed with the answer that is not David Poiles job to sell this city to others. I disagreed and threw out random ideas that he may or may not be doing. The point wasn't the list, simply that I disagreed with it not being Poiles job to sell Nashville to players. It is his job, implicitly.

That is all I said.

I maintain that not doing so is a cop out and not manning up to your responsibilities. And for references sake, read the whole post / quoted post before tirading on someone.

07-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
No but at the same time, to just give up and admit defeat instead of try to figure out what may change the guy's mind. Especially when this is happening time and time again. If that was truly who he wanted for the team, he should have done more besides one offer and he's done. Who's to say that he will not change his mind? It may not work with Spezza, but the fact he has said the phone works both ways, come on.

Poile just settles for mediocrity.
He wasn't changing Spezza's mind and he doesn't settle for mediocrity. This isn't Stalberg where we can lure him over with more minutes and a larger role; Spezza would be 1C clearly and there's no additional gambit here for Poile to play. Poile cares immensely about this team; I don't understand how you can think he would settle for anything.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He said he wasn't going to make a pitch for Spezza, in fact he said Spezza should actually call him.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Im kinda bummed...... It is apparent I am no longer the most negative person to visit this board..

However for those of you that are regurgitating lines out there if you think Olli and Fish are not going to be in the top 2 center positions your blinded by the light. This could change with more moves but right now those are the guys.

Also where are the pumpers that Lavy can turn a stump into a 50 point guy?????
So Lavi tendency is to not play the better players?

If Fisher and OJ beat out Wilson and Jarnkrok, you will be correct, but none of us know for sure.

Old
07-02-2014, 07:27 PM
LCPreds

I don't sit in on the negotiations but have to think with absolute certainty that Poile does everything he can to sell the franchise and the city. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is just blinded by insane fandom.

Now one could certainly argue that he doesn't do a good job selling those two items and that would be a discussion worth having. The only way to know for sure would be to put someone else in his place. I just have no idea who that would be and how they would shake up the sales pitch to produce results any better than what we've had over the past several years.

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
He wasn't changing Spezza's mind and he doesn't settle for mediocrity. This isn't Stalberg where we can lure him over with more minutes and a larger role; Spezza would be 1C clearly and there's no additional gambit here for Poile to play. Poile cares immensely about this team;
As I said in the post you quoted, I did say he may have not changed his mind, but to admit defeat and say if he doesn't want to come here I'm not going to talk to him again, he should at least followed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I don't understand how you can think he would settle for anything.

The last few years of FA's signings have said otherwise.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 07:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
I don't sit in on the negotiations but have to think with absolute certainty that Poile does everything he can to sell the franchise and the city. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is just blinded by insane fandom.

Now one could certainly argue that he doesn't do a good job selling those two items and that would be a discussion worth having. The only way to know for sure would be to put someone else in his place. I just have no idea who that would be and how they would shake up the sales pitch to produce results any better than what we've had over the past several years.
I can provide quotes from poile if you need me too.

Old
07-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Beavski24

vCash: 612
Oli Jokinen nice guy but im soo glad hes off Winnipeg guy was a disaster to watch play with Kane, He is alot slower but sill will be fine for your guys #3c, and at 2.5m 1 year. You guys are going to be either very happy or pissed off there is no middle ground

Beavski24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:03 PM
alexmanu

Just watched the Poile interview and I am seething with anger right now. I need to chill.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Smilodon

It makes me feel a little better that Lavy is the one who wanted him. If he wanted him as depth for his system then I have a little bit more faith in the signing.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
It makes me feel a little better that Lavy is the one who wanted him. If he wanted him as depth for his system then I have a little bit more faith in the signing.
That's where I'm at too

Old
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
LCPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I can provide quotes from poile if you need me too.
If you have quotes proving that Poile doesn't try to sell free agents on the franchise or the city I'd love to read them. In context. Not in reference to players with Nashville on their no trade list (Spezza).

LCPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I never said anything about a fruit basket. Nor am I pushing the tripe you just posted.

A question was posed with the answer that is not David Poiles job to sell this city to others. I disagreed and threw out random ideas that he may or may not be doing. The point wasn't the list, simply that I disagreed with it not being Poiles job to sell Nashville to players. It is his job, implicitly.

That is all I said.

I maintain that not doing so is a cop out and not manning up to your responsibilities. And for references sake, read the whole post / quoted post before tirading on someone.
I thought this thread was about using extreme and hyperbole to make a point...

My point is whether or not you think it's his job to sell the city doesn't matter, because it is my opinion that a player doesn't care to hear all that crap. They know what they are signing up for. We aren't selling a used car.

I'd hardly call my post a tirade FWIW and have read all of your posts in full.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
I thought this thread was about using extreme and hyperbole to make a point...

My point is whether or not you think it's his job to sell the city doesn't matter, because it is my opinion that a player doesn't care to hear all that crap. They know what they are signing up for. We aren't selling a used car.

I'd hardly call my post a tirade FWIW and have read all of your posts in full.
It's not about a sales pitch. It's about creating an environment where players want to be. It's a tough job no doubt, and I don't have a solution, but it's something Poile hasn't fared well at lately. At some point some accountability has to be held.

Anyway, it's not a great fit, but I like Jokinen. Things could be worse.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's not about a sales pitch. It's about creating an environment where players want to be. It's a tough job no doubt, and I don't have a solution, but it's something Poile hasn't fared well at lately. At some point some accountability has to be held.

Anyway, it's not a great fit, but I like Jokinen. Things could be worse.

Like you said. I don't know how to fix it either, and that's why I can't see being upset about something that in my opinion we have very little control over. Harass him for drafting or hiring that's fine, but he isn't a sales man and shouldn't have to be.

Edit: I will say that as far as creating an environment that players want to be in... Trading away our top scorer for a higher skilled guy that is somewhat risky is a show of his intent to me. I would think players would see that, and I think they do but still want to see a record of success. Like another poster said if we have success with Lavy, then maybe next year we draw interest.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:52 PM
dknash

Maybe we aren't giving Poile enough credit. Perhaps his Spezza comments were to illustrate the unique benefit that you can say any fool thing you like here without fear of repercussions.

That Poile, always selling!

dknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

My biggest frustration with this are as follows

1. He isn't an upgrade for any of our centers.

2. Because of this, he takes ice time away from our younger players who really need ice time to grow as players (particularly, Iron Hoock, Smith, Wilson, FF). This is the biggest part of my anger. We aren't a playoff team, there is no shame to admit it. Let the kids play and let's see what we actually have so we can move the parts we don't need.

3. Poile has said we need two top 6 forwards. We lost Horny and Spaling. We gained Neal and Olli. We haven't added top six forwards. We upgraded one we already had and we upgraded a 3rd liner. He hasn't done anything except make slight improvements. I understand that we barely missed the playoffs last year, but things only get tougher from here with Dallas coming up and Minnesotas core progressing.

4. This seems like a typical Poile move. Can't get the goods go for whats left on the bone and up-sell it. Parallels to last year's FA debacle. I think when you look at the little picture, its a great deal for us. Lost spaling, gained Olli, but when you put it into context of the past 5 years, you can understand why people are upset.

5. I think there are no players left in FA that would be upgrades over what we have with Vrbata off the market.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Iron Duke

Have a feeling some folks are in for a rude awakening when Fenton, or whoever else is chosen to succeed Poile, finally takes over the reins. Undoubtedly someone else on whom to blame all the franchise's "woes" will need to be found.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
2. Because of this, he takes ice time away from our younger players who really need ice time to grow as players (particularly, Iron Hoock, Smith, Wilson, FF). This is the biggest part of my anger. We aren't a playoff team, there is no shame to admit it. Let the kids play and let's see what we actually have so we can move the parts we don't need.
This keeps getting thrown out there, but I very much disagree with it. If Wilson, FF, and Jarnkrok earn ice time through their play, then they will get it. Simply throwing them out there for 16-18 minutes a night does not foster any real development. They need to be placed in a role to succeed, to play with confidence, and to earn their place. Giving them major roles on a crappy team when they're not prepared for it will be a much bigger hindrance than benefit to their growth as players. If they're not good enough to beat out Olli Jokinen, they're either not that good, or they're not ready.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:12 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

"And now, here to make the first selection in this year's draft, Nashville's new general manager..."

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Have a feeling some folks are in for a rude awakening when Fenton, or whoever else is chosen to succeed Poile, finally takes over the reins. Undoubtedly someone else on whom to blame all the franchise's "woes" will need to be found.
Poile for all the criticism is a good GM, and his eye for defensive talent, goaltenders, and organizational talent - scouts and coaches, will be dreadfully missed. His inability to push a team over the hump will not.

The trick is finding the rare GM who is in the right situation / right team to enact a winning philosophy. I hope Poile is doing that, but I readily admit I am jaded by the past three years. The Phoenix debacle and since has been painful. Even the Chicago series was painful.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
"And now, here to make the first selection in this year's draft, Nashville's new general manager..."
That means we would have won the lottery, we can't win anything. It would be the 2nd selection.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:23 PM
NoNecksCurse

this is a joke

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 09:28 PM
GeauxPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
That means we would have won the lottery, we can't win anything. It would be the 2nd selection.
As preds fans looking for a number one center both picks 1 and 2 next year are looking to be absolute stars so losing the lottery wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote