HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is going to be on Sundin's wings?

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Kardi

vCash: 500
maybe
Steen/Sundin/tucker
Czerkawski/Allison/O'Neill
Antropov/Lindros/Ponikarovsky
kukumberg/stajan/Domi

if i was JFJ id flip steen and cze and roll with that

Old
09-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi
maybe
Steen/Sundin/tucker
Czerkawski/Allison/O'Neill
kukumberg/stajan/Domi

if i was JFJ id flip steen and cze and roll with that
For your favourite player, its kind of surprising you don't know he's a right winger, and doesn't play on the left.

Old
09-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Kardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
For your favourite player, its kind of surprising you don't know he's a right winger, and doesn't play on the left.
sorry im at work and rushed it and he isnt my favourite players are kovalchuk/datsyuk..
cze maybe would crack my top 10 now that hes a leaf thou

Last edited by Kardi: 09-09-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
What he said, word for word.
Yeah, HNIC had it right, methinks, (like any of us really knows ), except that Antropov is more likely to line up on the left side, Whereas Poni has already proven he can play effectively in the NHL on his off side.

The most interesting thing will be what happens on the 4th line, oddly enough. The top 9 forwards, in whatever combination, seem pretty set to me, barring a monumental effort from one of the youngsters. So the question will be what vets stand out, and do Quinn and co. agree that it makes more sense to have a kid play top line minutes with the Marlies rather than getting 6-8 minutes a night on the 4th line.

Tucker - Sundin - Czerkawski
Stajan - Allison - O'Neill
Antropov - Lindros - Ponikarovsky
Kilger - Wilm - Domi (with Steen, Wellwood and/or Keane possibilities...)

I understand why some people want Tucker to line up with Lindros, but I think both Antropov and Poni are bigenough bodies, and play a physical enough brand of hockey, that we'll see them keeping opposing defenders honest around Big E. I would just rather see Tucker's hustle on Sundin's unit - Antropov is a little slow for my taste to put with Sundin and Czerkawski...

The blueline is more interesting, and I mean interesting in the Confucian sense that it has potential but will also give us fits. Kaberle/McCabe appears to be the most "set" pairing, although I honestly don't like it, since neither of them is above average defensively (feel free to disagree, just my opinion). Regardless, the talk seems to have them lining up like this:

McCabe - Kaberle
Klee - Khavanov
Berg - Cola

... with room for Kronvall, Mush or whomever comes out of camp to push Cola on the third pairing. But to be honest, I think the mix is off. I'd rather see Cola paired with Klee, to help the kid adjust. Berg, unspectacular but steady, is still developing himself, so I'd rather see him paired with Khavanov. Since it's Quinn, I don't see a problem with rotating all three pairings equally 5-on-5. McCabe and Kabs, Khavanov and Cola make up your PP pairings (assuming Quinn doesn't experiment with a forward back there). Swap Khavanov and Cola for Klee and Berg on the PK.

I didn't have a problem with the Khavanov signing, in and of itself, but the more I look at this lineup, the more I think he was not the type of defender we needed this year. As a depth guy, sure, but not at that price. I still think I would rather have seen someone with a little more presence in his own end. I'll be happy to have Khavanov prove me wrong, but I see him as an older, slightly less skilled Kaberle, when what we needed was a big and mobile top-4 defenceman who takes care of things at home. They wouldn't have to be all that strong offensively, since their job would be to cover for their partner on the rush, but they would have to be able to make a good first pass out of the zone. Oh, and a right-handed shot would be preferred. Any suggestions? Applications are availble at the front desk... (Jason Smith, where are you now? )

I don't feel Marchment or Belak (much as Recidivist likes him ) are caable of being that stay-at-home force, especially in the "new" NHL, which is why those guys would be 7-8 at best if I had my choice (or not on the roster at all...).

Sigh. Who would have thought, 6 weeks ago, that I'd be happier with our forwards than our blueline? Hopefully someone shines in camp and puts my worries to rest.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
He was thrid liner because he stuck beside all the NHL scabs. Just look at all the players that came over. His team was a freakin' allstar team, with the likes of Forsberg, and the Sedin twins and I can't recall all the others right now.
and now he's moving to a team that's 100% full of nhlers.

were modo's forwards better and deeper than the leafs forwards will be this year?

if he's a third liner with modo, he's a minor leaguer with the leafs.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
You know what. At the beginning I was sooo turned off by people saying Tucker on the LW of Sundin.

But if he can somehow manage to regain a bit of that scoring touch, and net 50 points, then we could be raising a mini-Gary Roberts.

I would like that. It's once again, all a big question mark. He has shown flashes of the scoring prowess in his minor league days.

Sundin has that knack of making who he plays with, that much better. We'll see.

My starting lineup..

Tucker-Sundin-O'Niell
Stajan-Allison-Czerkawski
Ponikarovsky-Lindros-Antropov
Kilger-Wilm-Domi

McCabe-Kaberle
Klee-Khavanov
Berg-Colaiacovo

Belfour
Tellqvist

DONE

Old
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Fravashis

ok, im usually a Thrasher fan, but I live in Ontario ... so bleeding blue and white kinda comes with the territory. Here are my starting lines for the leafs, and they are a little different, so dont flame my *** to fast.

Czerkawski-Sundin-O'Niell
Ponikarofsky-Lindros-Antropov
Domi-Alison-Tucker
Kilger-Steen-Stajan

This would give us a scoring touch up front, alot of size on the second line, a really scary 3rd line that could beat the crap out of anyone that can also really score. The 4th line would also be offensive as it would finally give Kilger a chance to show off his wheels he has shown glimpses of before.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan27fan
ok, im usually a Thrasher fan, but I live in Ontario ... so bleeding blue and white kinda comes with the territory. Here are my starting lines for the leafs, and they are a little different, so dont flame my *** to fast.

Czerkawski-Sundin-O'Niell
Ponikarofsky-Lindros-Antropov
Domi-Alison-Tucker
Kilger-Steen-Stajan

This would give us a scoring touch up front, alot of size on the second line, a really scary 3rd line that could beat the crap out of anyone that can also really score. The 4th line would also be offensive as it would finally give Kilger a chance to show off his wheels he has shown glimpses of before.
1) Czerkawski plays on the right side.
2) Domi should never be relied on to score.
3) Pairing Allison with Domi is a waste of his playmaking talent.
4) I hate goon lines.
5) Keeping Stajan and Steen on the fourth line will severley limit their development, they'd be much better off in the top nine or in the AHL.
6) Three Days Grace blooooows.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Augustus

Quote:
1) Czerkawski plays on the right side.
2) Domi should never be relied on to score.
3) Pairing Allison with Domi is a waste of his playmaking talent.
4) I hate goon lines.
5) Keeping Stajan and Steen on the fourth line will severley limit their development, they'd be much better off in the top nine or in the AHL.
6) Three Days Grace blooooows.

Short and sweet. A bullet list with no bull.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Short and sweet. A bullet list with no bull.
I'll take this opportunity to just re-enforce my point about how much Three Days Grace sucks.

Listening to the Beatles right now only strengthens my resolve on the matter.

Old
09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by H N I C
sure.

Tucker Sundin Czerkawski
Stajan Allison O'neil
Ponikarovsky Lindros Antropov
Kilger Wilm Domi

I think Kukemberg can find his way in the lineup depending on how his training came goes.
I agree with these lines personally, and this is the way i think it will be. maybe steen in there somewhere along the way

Old
09-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
I'll take this opportunity to just re-enforce my point about how much Three Days Grace sucks.

Listening to the Beatles right now only strengthens my resolve on the matter.
Yes.

Old
09-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Starting lineup:

Stajan - Allison - O'Neill
Antropov - Lindros - Ponikarovsky
Kukumberg - Kilger - Domi

McCabe - Kaberle
Klee - Khavanov
Berg - Colaiacovo

Belfour
Aubin

Down by 2:

O'Neill - Sundin - Czerkawski
Antropov - Allison - Lindros

Lindros goes down:

Steen - Allison - O'Neill
Antropov/Stajan - Antropov/Stajan - Ponikarovski

Allison goes down:

Antropov - Lindros - O'Neill
Steen - Stajan - Ponikarovski

Penalty kill:

Kukumberg - Kilger
Stajan - O'Neill
Tucker - Sundin
Antropov - Ponikarovsky

Replacements:

Steen: If a top 9 man goes down.
Wilm: If a bottom 3 man goes down, or if the 4th line isn't working.
Belak: Bottom 3 man goes down, defenseman goes down, or playing a rough team (Belak in, Kukumberg out).
Perrott: Scrubing toilets.
Wellwood: If two top 9 men go down for a lengthy period of time.

(Of course the entire lineup would shift if a man went down, so the above isn't really all that accurate.)

As for the power play, it matters what the score is.

The 7th defenseman until Pilar comes back is either Kronwall or Belak.

Trade deadline? Perrott for Bouwmeester. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Old
09-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
Yes.
It was "I Am the Walrus" at the time. I like to feel for a 16 year old my taste in music is fairly diverse. My time frame is from Dylan to Nine Inch Nails (roughly speaking) andI liked pretty much everything rock in that period. I came roll off at least 100 bands which I'd list amongst my favourites which I feel is pretty good for a guy my age.

Also, I'm a stickler for '30s swing music. Came out of the closet about that bit recently though its really hard to track down any music of the sort.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Fravashis

hey, just my opinion.

and for three days grace sucking ... whatever, I like em, if you wanna listen to songs about little yellow submarines then go for it

Old
09-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Pilot

Quote:
It was "I Am the Walrus" at the time. I like to feel for a 16 year old my taste in music is fairly diverse. My time frame is from Dylan to Nine Inch Nails (roughly speaking) andI liked pretty much everything rock in that period. I came roll off at least 100 bands which I'd list amongst my favourites which I feel is pretty good for a guy my age.

Also, I'm a stickler for '30s swing music. Came out of the closet about that bit recently though its really hard to track down any music of the sort.
My bro gave me Dylan and The Band - Before the Flood ... Amazing 2 Disc. Reminds me of the Last Waltz

Leafs talk ...

I really don't know what to think right now for lines. Originally (Before the Polish Prince arrived) I thought that this looked good.

______/Sundin/O'Neill
Antropov/Allison/Ponikarovsky
Stajan/Lindros/ Tucker

But I like this right now.

Tucker/Sundin/Czer
Stajan/Allison/O'Neill

I really do not want to see Stajan outside the top 9. I think this kid is a future 25 goal scorer, responsible two way, character guy that could be the perfect Number two center for a long time. O'Neill, Allison and Stajan just for some reason seem to have great chemstry to me. I think they would be very good in both ends.

I also really believe that Sundin will have more room with a speedy Polish Prince and an attention grabbing Tucker playing with him. Sundin has taken a beating and paid the price in the "clutch and grab" era and if they start calling the penalities he is going to score 100 points. He is big and strong and is way to proud to take a dive so a lot went uncalled against him over the years. People say he is soft but that is not the case at all. I think this is a good line.

I find Lindros, Ponikarovsky and Antropov very scary. They should be able to do a lot and really clog up space and wear down other teams. I don't know if they'll be overly offensive but they certainly have the potential and the toughness to be a flat out force.

I don't care to much after the top nine ... Kilger is as good as any fourth liner in the NHL in my opinion. I think that he could easily slip into this top 9 and not hurt the team at all. Domi is Domi and he doesn't come into play until he starts forechecking come play-off time, though he consistantly gives it his all and that is important. I would like to see Steen or Wellwood up on the big club but not on 4th line duty.

Tough to say what will happen but I hope that Quinn really gives everyone a chance to play together and then gets the guys who are clicking together and we'll see the floodgates open. This is a potentially potent offense. I think the leafs are going to fly under the radar to a great season.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by H N I C
sure.

Tucker Sundin Czerkawski
Stajan Allison O'neil
Ponikarovsky Lindros Antropov
Kilger Wilm Domi

I think Kukemberg can find his way in the lineup depending on how his training came goes.
I'm going to agree with that lineup as well. I'd like to see Wellwood or Steen in Toronto, but I'm starting to think it might be better for both of them if they play together on the Marlies' top line.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Pilot

Quote:
hey, just my opinion.

and for three days grace sucking ... whatever, I like em, if you wanna listen to songs about little yellow submarines then go for it
Without songs about little yellow submarines there would be no three days grace.

Are they the guys who sing about hating everything about you. Cause that would be a great song for the ACC to play when the Sens come out !!

Old
09-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
hey, just my opinion.

Well, you're a year older than me but hey, there's hope for you yet, do what I did.

Take a band you like (Uh, Three Day's grace I suppose) and then try and find their influences in the past, and listne to them. Then find those band's influences and work your way back. Be sure to give bands second listens. I know I didn't like the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan or Clash to start with however all three are some of my favourite artists ever know.

Soon enough you'll refuse to listen to any of Three Chord's Grace again. Its worked wonders for my (male) friends (still trying depserately to ween my female ones off emo *shudder*) and should work well for you. If nothing, you should probably find a diamond in the rough or two that you like and won't bother with the rest.

Personal suggestiong, TDG seems to have been heavily influenced by the grunge movement (which was started by my favourite band Nirvana, however ended up inspriing some really crappy current day stuff unfortunately), so first work your way into grunge and then expand on that (as it was a culmination of a lot of rock and roll styles).

Grunge Bands
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Smashing Pumpkins

Not a fan of AIC myself but the other four are fantastic. Grunge itself was inspired by stuff from 10-15 years before its time mainly, straight rock (Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Who), punk (not sissy current day punk, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, the Ramones) and a some other less concentional sounds (REM, Pink Floyd).

Also I figured I'd mention Coldplay siunce they're really easy to track (Coldplay to Radiohead (mid nineties stuff) to Pink Floyd)

After you get into those you hit the sixties which take a bit of time to get used to for some people but were absoltuely astounding (Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan etc).

And though I doubt you'll follow up on this, I recommend this process to any young people reading this. Believe me, after about six months you won't be able to believe you were listenign to modern day radio-produced crap.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
My bro gave me Dylan and The Band - Before the Flood ... Amazing 2 Disc. Reminds me of the Last Waltz

Leafs talk ...

I really don't know what to think right now for lines. Originally (Before the Polish Prince arrived) I thought that this looked good.

______/Sundin/O'Neill
Antropov/Allison/Ponikarovsky
Stajan/Lindros/ Tucker

But I like this right now.

Tucker/Sundin/Czer
Stajan/Allison/O'Neill

I really do not want to see Stajan outside the top 9. I think this kid is a future 25 goal scorer, responsible two way, character guy that could be the perfect Number two center for a long time. O'Neill, Allison and Stajan just for some reason seem to have great chemstry to me. I think they would be very good in both ends.

I also really believe that Sundin will have more room with a speedy Polish Prince and an attention grabbing Tucker playing with him. Sundin has taken a beating and paid the price in the "clutch and grab" era and if they start calling the penalities he is going to score 100 points. He is big and strong and is way to proud to take a dive so a lot went uncalled against him over the years. People say he is soft but that is not the case at all. I think this is a good line.

I find Lindros, Ponikarovsky and Antropov very scary. They should be able to do a lot and really clog up space and wear down other teams. I don't know if they'll be overly offensive but they certainly have the potential and the toughness to be a flat out force.

I don't care to much after the top nine ... Kilger is as good as any fourth liner in the NHL in my opinion. I think that he could easily slip into this top 9 and not hurt the team at all. Domi is Domi and he doesn't come into play until he starts forechecking come play-off time, though he consistantly gives it his all and that is important. I would like to see Steen or Wellwood up on the big club but not on 4th line duty.

Tough to say what will happen but I hope that Quinn really gives everyone a chance to play together and then gets the guys who are clicking together and we'll see the floodgates open. This is a potentially potent offense. I think the leafs are going to fly under the radar to a great season.
Excellent post as far as Leafs stuff goes, agree completely. Also, to be honest I've had trouble getting into The Band. There stuff is good but there's nothing about it that hooks me in.

Dylan believe it or not, I was partially named after because my dad was such a huge fan (My middle name is Dylan, something tells me it came between that and Floyd ) and I was actually horribly embarrased by it because te only time I heard him was at the Oscars when I was 10 or so. Then I started listening to his stuff later on and had to thank my father. Couldn't be more proud of my middle name since.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Pilot

Quote:
Personal suggestiong, TDG seems to have been heavily influenced by the grunge movement (which was started by my favourite band Nirvana, however ended up inspriing some really crappy current day stuff unfortunately), so first work your way into grunge and then expand on that (as it was a culmination of a lot of rock and roll styles).
Dude, Neil Young is the Godfather of Grunge. Check out these three Albums to hear Grunge at it's orgin. Tonight's the Night, On the Beach and Zuma.
Remember Neil toured with Pearl Jam and Sonic Youth just to name a few. Plus remember Kurt's death note - "It's better to burn out than fade away" Classic Neil Young.

But you're right on the rest of it. Same song as the quote above "Is this the story of Johnny Rotten"

But I imagine you know most of this.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Pilot

Quote:
Excellent post as far as Leafs stuff goes, agree completely. Also, to be honest I've had trouble getting into The Band. There stuff is good but there's nothing about it that hooks me in.

Dylan believe it or not, I was partially named after because my dad was such a huge fan (My middle name is Dylan, something tells me it came between that and Floyd ) and I was actually horribly embarrased by it because te only time I heard him was at the Oscars when I was 10 or so. Then I started listening to his stuff later on and had to thank my father. Couldn't be more proud of my middle name since.

Band can be tough to get into, they backed Dylan when he went electric. Rent or buy (It is pretty cheap these days) "The Last Waltz" and watch it three times (at least two of them while a little booze'd up) and you will love The Band ... they grow on ya.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Lightsol

Pink Floyd rules. You just can't diss their music.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Kardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsol
Pink Floyd rules. You just can't diss their music.
some songs are like 20 minutes long.. btw when did this become a music thread?

Old
09-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Verbal Kint*

And just to take this completely off topic (hell this exact thread topic's being discussed in about three others) here's a list of 100 (perhaps more, we'll see how many I can look up in iTunes, I'm too tired to do it off the top of my head) good bands/artists anyone should give a shot. I'll try and keep off small-time indie bands as my knowledge in that area is pretty limitted. Also a few good ones will eb left off simply because I'm not a fan (Supertramp, Van Halen, The Byrds, Alice in Chains... never liked any of 'em).

In alphebetical order...

1. AC/DC
2. Aerosmith
3. AFI (pre-2002, they sold out unforunately)
4. Alice Cooper
5. Allman Brothers
6. Anti-Flag
7. Bachman Turner Overdrive
8. Bad Religion
9. The Band
10. The Beatles
11. Black Sabbath
12. Bob Dylan
13. Bob Marley/Bob Marley and the Wailers
14. Boston
15. Bruce Springsteen
16. Buffalo Springfield
17. Bush
18. The Clash
19. The Cranberries
20. Cream
21. Creedence Clearwater Revival
22. Dead Kennedys
23. Deep Purple
24. Derek and the Dominoes
25. Dio
26. Dire Straits
27. The Distillers
28. The Doors
29. Dream Theater
30. Elton John
31. Eric Clapton
32. Fleetwood Mac
33. Foo Fighters
34. The Grateful Dead
35. Green Day
36. The Guess Who
37. Guns 'n' Roses
38. The Hives
39. Iggy Pop and the Stooges
40. Incubus
41. Iron Maiden
42. Jane's Addiction
43. Janis Joplin
44. Jethro Tull
45. Jimi Hendrix/The Jimi Hendrix Experience
46. Johnny Cash
47. Judas Priest
48. The Kinks
49. Led Zeppelin
50. Lynyrd Skynyrd
51. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
52. Megadeth
53. Metallica
54. The Misfits
55. Motley Crue
56. Motorhead
57. Neil Young
58. Nine Inch Nails
59. Nirvana
60. NOFX
61. Oasis
62. The Offspring
63. Our Lady Peace (Mostly their older stuff)
64. Ozzy Osbourne
65. Pantera
66. Pearl Jam
67. Pink Floyd
68. Queen
69. Queens of the Stone Age
70. Radiohead
71. Rage Against the Machine
72. The Ramones
73. Rancid
74. Ray Charles
75. Red Hot Chili Peppers
76. REM
77. Rolling Stones
78. Rush
79. Sex Pistols
80. Simon and Garfunkel
81. Sloan (Their older stuff mainly)
82. Smashing Pumpkins
83. Soundgarden
84. Steppenwolf
85. Steve Vai
86. Stevie Ray Vaughan
87. Stone Temple Pilots
88. Sublime
89. Suicidal Tendencies
90. System of a Down
91. Tom Waits
92. Tool
93. The Travelling Wilderberries
94. U2
95. Van Morrison
96. Velvet Revolver
97. Weezer
98. The Who
99. Yes
100. ZZ Top

Wow, right on the mark. Well there you have it.

Closed Thread