HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[PHI] Nick Schultz [1 year, $1.25M]

Old
07-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Tripod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
69 million , they'd capgeek showing an overage but pronger comes off
I think he was joking. We are over the cap and still signing guys. But as others have said, if we are going to be over the cap and use Prongers LTIR, it's better to use all of it.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:43 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yes he did.

He wasn't very good, but he was still one of our regular roster defenseman.
You know, I could have sworn he was healthy scratch a bunch early last year, but it looks like I was wrong. Guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 750
Give him a system, and he'll flourish. Don't expect any offense, though.

Was a #2 minute-muncher in Minnesota. I don't believe he's suffered any significant injuries that would cause his play to decline so quickly, which leads me to believe his struggles in Edmonton stem from the team's style of play.

I know Philadelphia's defense hasn't been the strongest recently, which makes me worry for him...

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques The Mayor View Post
I saw him in a few games since he left Minnesota two of them in person and he's still one of those defenseman you don't notice. He spent a lot of time covering up young oilers mistakes but now that the flyers have ditched that run and gun offense they used to rely on and are more fundamentally sound I think he'll be serviceable if there's an injury. I would've much rather preferred him last year over Ballard or Blum when injuries hit. He's cheap and flies under the radar and with the amount of money defenseman got this off-season I'd say this isn't a terrible signing.
I agree with this post to a certain degree. Schultz's performance has never been the same since Lemaire left Minnesota. He was useless in Todd Richards' system. As some others have said, Edmonton was not a place any Dmen have looked good. Then to gets traded to another TRichards coached team. That was a trade that make me scratch my head. So I'll be curious as to whether Schultz can turn his career around in Philadelphia. Or show he really was just a product of arguably one of the greatest defensive minded coached.

I always liked Schultz and the Flyers, so I'm hoping he can regain some of his old form. For one year at $1.25M, even if he does only manage to be Philly's #6-7 Dman, that's not much risk involved.

Rando Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:55 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Give him a system, and he'll flourish. Don't expect any offense, though.

Was a #2 minute-muncher in Minnesota. I don't believe he's suffered any significant injuries that would cause his play to decline so quickly, which leads me to believe his struggles in Edmonton stem from the team's style of play.

I know Philadelphia's defense hasn't been the strongest recently, which makes me worry for him...
No. He just declined quickly. He was a 4/5 when he got to Edmonton, and got a little worse each year. He's a 6/7 now

07-03-2014, 02:28 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by llp View Post
wow schultz used to be an adequate #2 for minnesota when he was playing with burns, its a bummer to hear he fell so far
Which is why I & other EDM fans are so disappointed in him.

But that aside, I will agree he is a fine #6/7D, and the contract is fair.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No. He just declined quickly. He was a 4/5 when he got to Edmonton, and got a little worse each year. He's a 6/7 now
Maybe, but its no secret that Edmonton is not a good place to Dmen at the moment. Berube is a defensive coach and I suspect he can get more out of him in a bottom pairing role. Having said that, I'm not expecting that much from him. If he beats anyone in the current top 6 I would be surprised.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote