HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Czerkawski Signing Official

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Fearless prediction:

Tucker - Sundin - Czerkawski = 85 goals
Stajan - Allison - O'Neill = 60 goals
Antropov - Lindros - Ponikarovsky = 50 goals

I like the sound of that scoring depth.
Sounds reasonable, though I'd expect 65-70 out of that second unit. Also I think the first unit could score up to 100 themselves (Tucker 30, Sundin 40, Czerkawski 30).

Looks fine offensively. I suppose the Leafs fan inside of me is starting to warm up to the idea of Czerkawski, howeve rif he turns out like he did in Montreal, I'll hunt him down and strangle him with with a giant novelty letter 'D' (with his head in the hole in the middle).

Old
09-09-2005, 06:24 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
As for Habs fans not liking him. He didn't have a good year there. He had many problems with the coaching staff, and they didn't use him to maximize his ability. On the other hand, Quinn likes his skill set. He is friends with Mats, and will be in a situation where he is comfortable.

Agreed - keep in mind the defensive system that has been in Montreal. Quinn likes the run and gun. Berezin played his best hockey as soon as Quinn took over (37 goals plus a couple 20+). He never played better before or after. I think this may be a similar impact. Both frustrating at times, but lots of goals.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Miki-NHLcompl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10
Has anyone been able to confirm it was for 500k?
In interview with me on Wednesday, Mario confirmed this price for 100 per-cent. Details on NHL.com.pl - Polish site about the great game on the world

Old
09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Fearless prediction:

Tucker - Sundin - Czerkawski = 85 goals
Stajan - Allison - O'Neill = 60 goals
Antropov - Lindros - Ponikarovsky = 50 goals

I like the sound of that scoring depth.
Antropov, 20 - Sundin, 35 - Czerkawski, 25 = 80
Stajan, 15 - Allison, 20 - O'Neill, 30 = 65
Tucker, 20 - Lindros, 20 - Ponikarovsky, 10 = 50
Kilger, 5 - Wilm, 5 - Domi, 5 = 15

Rouded down, 210 goals from our fowards. Could we expect another 20 or 30 from our D?

Old
09-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Sounds reasonable, though I'd expect 65-70 out of that second unit. Also I think the first unit could score up to 100 themselves (Tucker 30, Sundin 40, Czerkawski 30).

Looks fine offensively. I suppose the Leafs fan inside of me is starting to warm up to the idea of Czerkawski, however if he turns out like he did in Montreal, I'll hunt him down and strangle him with with a giant novelty letter 'D' (with his head in the hole in the middle).
I agree, MOP, but didn't want to get too crazy... remembering (among other things) that they'll be splitting ice-time among them. Plus, I never count on all players having career-best years. If these guys can stay healthy long enough to put in this many goals, I think we'll have done very well for ourselves indeed.

I get the impression that Mariusz is very excited about coming to Toronto, and also very committed to doing his best for us here. If the wheels fall off like they did in Montreal, I supect he'll feel even worse about it than we will. Plus, he's reported to be an exceptionally nice guy, off the ice. In other words, when you come to put the big novelty "D" around his neck, he might actually help.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
I like Nik up on the top line as well, I think his playmaking ability alone makes him a better fit there than Tucker personally.

For now though, Id like to see Sundin-Czerkawski, Allison-O'Neill and Lindros-Ponikarovsky stick together, with the three LWers (Antropov, Tucker, Stajan) moving around to see what works best. Quinn will have a lot of flexibility and he might have something more to think about if a guy like Steen makes the team

Old
09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
I like Nik up on the top line as well, I think his playmaking ability alone makes him a better fit there than Tucker personally.

For now though, Id like to see Sundin-Czerkawski, Allison-O'Neill and Lindros-Ponikarovsky stick together, with the three LWers (Antropov, Tucker, Stajan) moving around to see what works best. Quinn will have a lot of flexibility and he might have something more to think about if a guy like Steen makes the team
Funny, our LWers are centres.. Kilger is a C, Antropov is a C, Tucker would rather play C (I believe), Stajan was a C last year.

Who on our team plays just LW.. nobody?

Old
09-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Slapshot17

It has been said many times that Strength up the middle is the key to a good hockey team. I can't think of any team that matches the Leafs at Centre Ice.

Now if we could only say the same for the Defence. But then again I believe Kaberle is going to have an All-Star year.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue

I think Tucker is more idealy suited to first line duties. Sundin is always great at setting up whoever's on his left (Roberts, Thomas etc.) and Tucker's a better finisher and skater than Antropov. Also, we need someone who can play well defensively to compensate for Czerkawski and Tucker can not only get their faster but is on a whole, a better defensive player than Antropov. Also, I feel that tucker gives our top line strenght alon the boards, which I'd like to see, and a good forechecking presence.

Antropov on the other hand has proven chemistry with Poni and hopefully the two can revitalise their work together from last year even with a change in centremen.

However I completely agree with Quinn rotating his LWers through camp, as I think that would definitely be the best option.

And my own predictions.

Tucker 25 - Sundin 35 - Czerkawski 30 (90)
Stajan 15 - Allison 25 - O'Neill 30 (70)
Antropov 20 - Lindros 30 - Ponikarovsky 15 (65)

That's 225 goals out of our top nine, which is nearly three goals per game on their own. Add in roughly 25 from our fourth and another 25 from our D, and thats 275 goals over the season.

Perhaps I'm being a little over-zealous (though obivously the numbers will be lower due to injuries etc.) but I think given their linemates and history, that those numbers are fairly realistic.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Augustus

MC's growing on me - but I can't say why.

Guess he's cheap, he can score, and can skate.

By midseason he may be the target of my "f***ng Czerkawski" screams at the TV.

At any rate, not much to lose.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist

Guess he's cheap, he can score, and can skate.

At any rate, not much to lose.
I feel the same way. His scoring has me starting to warm up to him but that little voice in the back of my mind is screaming "You ****ing moron! He CANNOT play D! You KNOW this! You'll hate him by mid-season and I'll be saying I told you so! Moron."

And yes, the voices in my head are pretty hostile.

Old
09-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
its because he's a leaf now.

Quote:
yes, this will be the case.

saw him play in the ahl a couple of years ago. best player in the league at the time.

Old
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
its because he's a leaf now.

My God - I think you're right!

Will the sun rise in the west tomorrow?

Old
09-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Verbal Kint*

TSN link.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Pilot

Interesting First Person Account of an Incident Involving MC in Montreal.

The season he was in Montreal a few friends of mine went to check out a game and watched the teams practice etc. The story goes that the Coach threw MC out of practice and then made him return at the end and skate goal line to goal line for an additional hour. A few others started with him but none stayed nearly as long as he did.

Now, I take this with a mild grain of salt. An hour would be a small stretch but other than that, I believed it. What this tells me about what to expect from MC is this.

1) He was never a good fit in Montreal - Hence why they trash him entirely.

And

2) In the right environment he is a proven scorer and if nothing else will score for the Leafs. I like the shoot out talks and if he and Mats are buds and Quinn is, fond of him I cannot see this being anything but a great low cost move.

We now have a potential lethal offense with a lot to prove. I think that a player with something to prove is a player you want on your team - because they want it more. I look at players like Mogilny, Nolan, Francis and Leetch who no doubt wanted to win, but had little to prove. I am not saying that Lindros, Allison, O'Neill and Czerkawski are better players or options. I am just saying that they all carry weight that can easily be shed with a good season in Toronto. I hope that all signs point to them putting in the effort to be the players they feel they are and we hope that they prove to be.

Czerkawski is going to be a frustrating player at times but when he scores a few goals and opens the ice up for Mats I think he will prove to be more impacting here than in the past on his other teams. I think his speed and offensive tact will be great for Mats and really give him a weapon to utilize and like previously mentioned open up some room for Mats to shine.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Brock

Can't wait to see the Chow Spin-O-Rama in a Leafs jersey!

Old
09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
EazyB97

If nothing else he's an offensive threat. His talent can't be argued and others teams know this. He may not be great in our own end, but if we surround him with guys who backcheck (Sundin and Tucker come to mind) he shouldn't cost us that much. He has speed and our D core is a good puck moving group. His speed should intimidate a large amount of NHL Defenders, which could urge them to hang back.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Habs fans were already jumping on us for this signing, but 500k is fine for him even..
I looked at his stats for the Habs and I can tell why they think that he sucks. He was absolutly horrible for them. Apart from that "blip" it appears that he has scored at a very good pace. Maybe it was the Habs team itself that brought down his performance? Some times players simply just don't play well for a certain team but they are good with others. Look at Eriksson who sucked with the Leafs but was great with the Blue Jackets...

Then again this could be just wishful thinking on my part as well...

Old
09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Antropov, 20 - Sundin, 35 - Czerkawski, 25 = 80
Stajan, 15 - Allison, 20 - O'Neill, 30 = 65
Tucker, 20 - Lindros, 20 - Ponikarovsky, 10 = 50
Kilger, 5 - Wilm, 5 - Domi, 5 = 15

Rouded down, 210 goals from our fowards. Could we expect another 20 or 30 from our D?
I am kind of interested in seeing how these predicitions hold out. The NHL is supposed to be promoting more offense this year which means that players should be scoring more goals then they have been doing over the last couple of years... We could be seeing huge offensive numbers from these lines indeed.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Leaf Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
I'm curious. Why do people keep comparing him to Hoglund? Jonas was a decent two-way player with some minimal offensive skills. Czerkawski is reportedly very much a one-way player with definite NHL offensive abilities.

I don't think people are comparing their skill level, just comparing the player that will be riding shotgun with Sundin.

There was Roberts, Mogilny, Hoglund, Stumpy and some others. Each one brought their own game to that position.

But I like this signing and looking forward to watch him put some pucks in the net.

Old
09-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Chris2004

Mariuz definantly has way more offensive abilities that Jonus. I think he has proven himself to be a solid 20 goal scorer in this league. Jonus rid Sundin's coat tails hardcore! However, it all comes down to team chemistry. If he can integrate well and find himself on a good line (which Quinn has apparantly decided to do) then he can do better than the 40 points people have labelled him as good for. He can also do absolutely do nothing and show us that his career is dwindling in a hurry.

Either way, it's good to see JfJ is being creative and weathering this new CBA storm without doing anything too drastic. For the leaf fans that want to win a cup within the next 2 seasons .... keep waiting, as far as im concerned, this is JfJ's first year as our GM, and it will take him around 3-5 years to really make us a deep team, and realistic contender.

GET A GOALIE!

Old
09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
NYI fans are really the only ones I'd trust on the issue. My personal observation of him is that the man has some skill, greatly underrated amounts of it.
He does have underrated skill. The criticisms of Czerkawski from certain Islanders fans are valid to a degree, but also overstated.

- They say he's poor defensively. That I agree with.
- He doesn't have any degree of physical game. Agree with that too.
- He lacks heart. I don't agree with that.
- He's streaky. If he scores 50-70 points, how streaky could he really be?
- He's lazy. I don't know exactly what this means. I think it's just another way to criticize his defensive game. I mean he can scoot around the ice in a recliner for all I care if he scores 25-30 goals.
- He doesn't play a team game. Once again I think this is just another way to criticize his defensive game. I've always thought scoring goals helps the team, but maybe that's just me.
- He doesn't like the pressure of a big market. Well some of that comes from his problems in Montreal, but I don't think that had anything to do with the pressure. Besides, there are a few additions in Toronto this year that will be face a lot more scrutiny then Czerkawski will. Plus this is a guy who's used to a ton of attention back in Poland.

One more reason I like the Czerkawski signing is that after adding O'Neill, Allison and Lindros, we didn't really need another 'name' player (like a Selanne or Bondra like some people wanted) to come in here and make a big splash. I think Czerkawski will fly under the radar a bit while still be expected to play a fairly big role on the team. I think that is best for both Czerkawski and the Leafs.

Old
09-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
the guy can score

so i think its not a bad signinghe is a # 1 line guy all offense

how fast is he?

Old
09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
I just bought the NHL2006 video game today, and was pleased to find that Czerkawski is still the dominant scoring machine he's been in previous editions (I'm being serious...he's unstoppable in video games. It's really weird). 4 games into my season, he's on pace for 82 goals...

It looks as if the stars are alligning.

Old
09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Canadude*

What do non-Islander fans know about this guy without looking up his stats? Not very much. Why is that? He's invisible unless he scores a goal. He isn't a playmaker, never uses his body and he disappears for long stretches. His number have been in decline since 2000 and he is a career minus player. plus/minus isn't always a telling stat but when a guy is supposed to be an above average scorer and he is a career minus..... ahem.

But hey if he can score 20 goals he will be a hero in Toronto. Heck 28 pt Poni has become a semi-star now hasn't he?

Anyway... I think the Leafs should have passed on this guy and picked up some grit vs a guy who is well known to have a one dimensional game and is in decline. Then again I must be wrong because everybody is convinved that Mats Sundin will rub off on him and make him a superstar with heart. I even read comparisons to Mogilny. Only in Toronto.

Closed Thread