HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer league do's and don't's

Old
07-07-2014, 03:43 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
Never heard that and I'm good friends with a guy that runs my local rink. If that was the case don't you think they'd be mandatory?
One would think, but logic doesn't necessarily apply with this sort of thing. I mean, one would think that face protection would be mandatory but it isn't.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
One would think, but logic doesn't necessarily apply with this sort of thing. I mean, one would think that face protection would be mandatory but it isn't.
Yeah the face protection is hit or miss around here. I live close to 4 rinks, two require full face gear and the other two don't.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

If you are unsure about line changes just either change when you are tired or when your linemates do, whichever comes first

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 04:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
If you are unsure about line changes just either change when you are tired or when your linemates do, whichever comes first
See, I would say the exact opposite. Don't wait till you're tired and don't wait for your linemates to make the first move. Chances are the new guy needs to be the one changing most rapidly until he gets his conditioning and comfort level sorted out.

Old
07-07-2014, 05:11 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
See, I would say the exact opposite. Don't wait till you're tired and don't wait for your linemates to make the first move. Chances are the new guy needs to be the one changing most rapidly until he gets his conditioning and comfort level sorted out.
Agree 100%. Change before you are tired. Few things are worse than guys that wait until they are tired, decide its time to change because they are gassed, then get stuck out there longer due to a turnover, or not being able to clear the zone.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Agree 100%. Change before you are tired. Few things are worse than guys that wait until they are tired, decide its time to change because they are gassed, then get stuck out there longer due to a turnover, or not being able to clear the zone.
It's AMAZING how many people are incapable of understanding this. It's rarely the most talented people, too.

I have one guy in mind who always does this and usually ends up causing the turnovers or odd-man rush because he can't back-check worth a damn.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:39 PM
theMajor

dont be a hero, keep your shifts under a minute and a half

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
By tired I didnt mean gassed or unable to stand. Dont forget that people looking for do's and dont's might not be advanced far enough in hockey to get tired quickly because they cant move as much as others. As for the linemates you cant take 30 seconds shifts if your linemates are taking 90 seconds because I think for most beer league teams you will have 2 forward lines and your man coming on will be out to long or the lines get mixed up

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:35 PM
PlayoffBeard365

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
What I hate about beer-league.... you cannot have a competitive game w/o drama. It's like the majority of players, even in top tier leagues, never played the game at a highly competitive level. Then fights break out and it gets childish.

I'd love if there were a few leagues where just competitive hard/fast paced games occur w/o drama.
That is why I don't aspire to play in beer league. I play in two private pick up leagues every week. In 5 months I've only witnessed one incident of drama. No fights, scuffles or even a shout match. The incident was a very young insecure goalie flinging his stick after getting smoked. His stick hit someone in the noggin and knocked a tooth out. He hasn't been welcomed back.

In my experience well organized private pick up is just pure fun with no Bs

PlayoffBeard365 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Legitimate question, why would you not wear shoulder pads?
i don't see the point in wearing them if you play in a beer league

they always make me feel very hot which tires me out quickly and i like the upper body mobility i get by not wearing them. sometimes i wear a padded shirt which i have no problem with but i just don't see any reason to wear shoulder pads

as for throat guards. i used to wear one a while back before it ripped and i was the only one in my league to wear one. haven't seen anyone else wear them at all in my league in all the years i've played

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Really?

Do other people find this to be true also? Obviously, no jumping on the glass, yelling etc, but a smile and a little fist pump after a nice goal doesn't seem like too much to me.
I don't mind fist bumps. I do it every once in a while, and my teammates always give a fist bump to who ever scores. Not a big deal. I do hate when drunk obnoxious players yell from the bench when their teammate scores. Taunting in beer league is douchebagery at its finest.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:39 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Generally speaking, shifts in beer leagues should run about 60-90 seconds. When you're on the bench, go ahead and calculate the time that your next shift should be over. That way you don't have to do the math while skating. After a while you'll get a good feel for what 1 minute of hockey feels like.

Early in the game, don't wait until you're winded. That just kills you by the third period. You want to have some spring in your step as the game grinds on. 90 seconds should be enough to burn off that spring, without leaving you flat for the next shift.

What gets a lot of beginners in trouble is feeling like they need to mirror their linemates' changes. If your linemates are taking 3 minute shifts, don't worry about it. Skate your 90 seconds and get back to the bench.
This is under the impression you have enough guys to do that.

My team tends to have between 6-9 guys, so we don't really have the benefit to do that a whole lot.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 01:03 PM
DMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayoffBeard365 View Post
That is why I don't aspire to play in beer league. I play in two private pick up leagues every week. In 5 months I've only witnessed one incident of drama. No fights, scuffles or even a shout match. The incident was a very young insecure goalie flinging his stick after getting smoked. His stick hit someone in the noggin and knocked a tooth out. He hasn't been welcomed back.

In my experience well organized private pick up is just pure fun with no Bs
Agreed. I play in a great private game on Saturday nights and at this point all the bad personalities have been weeded out. It's a fun, fast paced, competitive game. And since we all know each other we throw a little bit of physical play in there too because we know the guys aren't going to fly off the handle.

I'll play in a beer league if i'm familiar with most of the guys on the team. But even if there's just one or two bad personalities in the room it makes it a bit of a bummer. On my last team we a had a goalie that would show up 10 minutes before we hit the ice, get no warmup, and proceed to let in 3-4 soft goals in the 1st period because he chose to use the 1st period as his warmup. And then he would get all pissy and blame the defense because he was letting in garbage. One guy was a cop and was always starting fights. Everybody else was great except those two guys, and those two guys ruined the fun for everybody else.

DMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 02:02 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
This is under the impression you have enough guys to do that.

My team tends to have between 6-9 guys, so we don't really have the benefit to do that a whole lot.
Oh believe me, I know EXACTLY how that goes

It's really tough to do quick changes when you have less than 2 full lines, because the guy who's supposed to take your place has only had like 30 seconds to catch his breath. After a couple of periods, everyone's exhausted and taking 5 minute shifts because they get more rest by just coasting around.

IOW, it sucks...

Old
07-08-2014, 04:27 PM
rh71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR View Post
One guy was a cop and was always starting fights. Everybody else was great except those two guys, and those two guys ruined the fun for everybody else.
I noticed that too on our teams throughout the years, different guys. They're nice guys off the rink but when they're playing, temperament totally changes.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 04:38 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I noticed that too on our teams throughout the years, different guys. They're nice guys off the rink but when they're playing, temperament totally changes.
There's nothing worse than a team of cops for playing dirty, chippy hockey.

Old
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM
HHHH

Don't do this...

http://deadspin.com/5868584/how-a-se...pponents-glove

HHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:54 PM
DMR

Since we're on the subject of beer league........anybody ever see these webisodes about the fictional beer league team the Ramsay Downholers? I guess they had some interest in getting it made into a TV show in Canada but it hasn't happened. Anyway, there's a bunch of them and they're spot-on hilarious takes on beer league hockey. Just check out youtube and search Downholers. Here's a couple links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezCtOcbM418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZeyTkxunA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwgoNzc8Ds

DMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 06:00 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR View Post
Since we're on the subject of beer league........anybody ever see these webisodes about the fictional beer league team the Ramsay Downholers? I guess they had some interest in getting it made into a TV show in Canada but it hasn't happened. Anyway, there's a bunch of them. Great stuff, and totally spot-on take on beer league hockey. Just go to youtube and type in Downholers.

I tried putting a couple up here but the youtube function is giving me errors.
i watched these last night before my game while i was stretching/taping my sticks, so friggin funny

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 10:12 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Honestly I haven't seen that, at least not relative to other guys.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 08:23 AM
AlainVigneaultsGum

Quote:
Kirshoshov Olovwa

AlainVigneaultsGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Tacks92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post

they always make me feel very hot which tires me out quickly and i like the upper body mobility i get by not wearing them. sometimes i wear a padded shirt which i have no problem with but i just don't see any reason to wear shoulder pads
Used to feel the same until I dislocated my shoulder playing a very friendly game of 3 on 3 pick up. Two of us went for the puck, I bailed out a second too late, the guys head went into my shoulder, knocked it out and had me writhing until I was able to get it back in. Would the shoulder pads have helped? Eh, maybe maybe not, but after that I've never played a game without em.

Tacks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:17 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
I don't wear them because I like the extra movement, there is little to no contact and the rink I skate in is generally warm. If I wear anything I wear a padded shirt but that is pretty rare. Honestly, I just don't think I need to wear them in beer league.

Haven't seen a neck guard in years.
Yeah me too. They are cumbersome and hot to wear. There is little to no body contact in the leagues im in. If someone is idiot enough to wind up a big slapper with people in front of him then he is hearing about it from me.

Usually in our leagues we allow a quarter to a half slapper. I will never take anything but a quarter wind low shot especially with people in front of me. I dont want to knock anyones teeth out going for the top corner blast

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post

Man, I've caught a few shots that would've broken ribs if I weren't wearing shoulder pads.

I understand the preference for mobility, but what's actually worked really well for me are the Farrell H500s.

It's a soft foam material, with all the hard plastic pieces being removable. Feels like wearing a hoodie out for pond hockey, and the mobility is excellent. You'll forget you're even wearing them.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 03:41 AM
Christmas Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Legitimate question, why would you not wear shoulder pads?
A lot less heat, easier movement.