HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames want to sign Kevin Hayes

Old
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Calgary can have him.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
madmike77

I'm still not sure he will.

There was a time when Calgary was a desirable destination because they had a thin prospect pool and there was plenty of opportunity for kids to get into the NHL quickly.

In the last couple of years though, the Flames have assembled a pretty decent collection of prospects and things are getting a bit crowded.

There is more opportunity for wingers than centres in Calgary though, so who knows.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:50 AM
iam76

florida has to be in on him.

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Dr Danglefest
Lindros|Giroux|Krug

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Watch everyone ***** about draft circumvention when we have an extra 2nd next year.
Why? You essentially lost a 1st for a 2nd it's not like you are winning in that situation, but rather gaining damage control

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:56 AM
BacklundtoBartschi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone King View Post
1. Look who each player was playing with when 'ripping it up'. Hayes scored a large % of those points against crap teams last year.
2. TT has played well pretty much every year. no matter who he plays with. Hayes....just last year on a stacked line.
3. TT vs. Kayes.....TT 11 out of 10 times.

I Hope Hayes fails miserably the way he has twittered, etc.. Taking a business move personally shows a lack of maturity and entitlement. We'll take the second pick next year and watch someone else give him a roster spot and fail. He is a big, non-physical guy with marginal skating....a lot like his brother. Whoever gets him.....enjoy!
Same old mantra. We know he's garbage once he doesn't want to sign with your team.

BacklundtoBartschi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone King View Post
1. Look who each player was playing with when 'ripping it up'. Hayes scored a large % of those points against crap teams last year.
2. TT has played well pretty much every year. no matter who he plays with. Hayes....just last year on a stacked line.
3. TT vs. Kayes.....TT 11 out of 10 times.

I Hope Hayes fails miserably the way he has twittered, etc.. Taking a business move personally shows a lack of maturity and entitlement. We'll take the second pick next year and watch someone else give him a roster spot and fail. He is a big, non-physical guy with marginal skating....a lot like his brother. Whoever gets him.....enjoy!
LOL, this is a little bit of sour grapes. Hayes is a very good prospect that is taking advantage of the system. I don't agree with how he has handled himself on twitter, but the attacks on his play are unwarranted. He's a good player and much better than his brother, and he sees the logjam of prospects knocking at the door of an already stacked NHL roster. I don't blame him for looking around for a better shot at an NHL role earlier. That being said, there is no way he's a better prospect than TT, that was a ridiculous statement.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Tont

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post

There was a time when Calgary was a desirable destination because they had a thin prospect pool and there was plenty of opportunity for kids to get into the NHL quickly.

In the last couple of years though, the Flames have assembled a pretty decent collection of prospects and things are getting a bit crowded.

There is more opportunity for wingers than centres in Calgary though, so who knows.
Flames still have a major need for RW prospects, as well as prospects with size. Hayes obviously checks both boxes.

This report appears to be speculative rather than an actual rumor, so I'll take it with a big grain of salt.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
hisgirlfriday
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
LOL, this is a little bit of sour grapes. Hayes is a very good prospect that is taking advantage of the system. I don't agree with how he has handled himself on twitter, but the attacks on his play are unwarranted. He's a good player and much better than his brother, and he sees the logjam of prospects knocking at the door of an already stacked NHL roster. I don't blame him for looking around for a better shot at an NHL role earlier. That being said, there is no way he's a better prospect than TT, that was a ridiculous statement.
This. All of this.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
100% agree with this.

I have no issues with Kevin utilizing his UFA status to end up someplace where he's more likely to have a NHL roster spot. If he's in the AHL, he's making about 10% of what he would in the NHL, so expecting him to "jump on the grenade" for the Hawks is just ludicrous, and extremely short-sighted by some Hawks posters on this site. Hockey is a business, and K Hayes is doing what everyone else would do, trying to maximize his earning potential.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
Why? You essentially lost a 1st for a 2nd it's not like you are winning in that situation, but rather gaining damage control
Oh, I know it's a big loss but HF gonna HF.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I think the Panthers have the best shot, with his good friend Pirri and his brother on the team, but regardless it's way too early for this thread, he's Chicago property till August 16th.

Should probably wait a month to make this, Chicago could still sign him.
I'm not going to spend time looking it up, but he tweeted shortly after Gaudreau and Arnold signed about reuniting the Trio. I think that shows his intentions to sign with the Flames.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
hisgirlfriday
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand of Gaudreau View Post
I'm not going to spend time looking it up, but he tweeted shortly after Gaudreau and Arnold signed about reuniting the Trio. I think that shows his intentions to sign with the Flames.
I missed that tweet but not surprised. I don't blame Hayes for doing what's best for him just like the Hawks do what's best for them. I don't get why fellow Hawks fans hold the idea of KHayes not signing with the Hawks because of his brothers trade against the Hayes if that was part of the reason. It makes sense to me.

The only things I didn't like was the way he created unnecessary problems for his friend still on the Blackhawks with his #freemorin tweet during the playoffs when Morin was scratched. Just drags him into the KHayes non-signing negativity and makes Morin look bad with the organization. And then even after that he feigns interest in the Hawks long enough to secure a free ticket to Game 5 of the wcf at the UC. That seemed unnecessary but maybe he got the ticket through Morin rather than the Hawks org. At least that's what I hope.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:59 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post

There was a time when Calgary had actual NHLers on their roster.

Calgary is one of the easiest rosters to crack. Don't underestimate the desire of borderline NHLers to get even a 20 game stint.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Hawkaholic

I really, really hope that the 54th pick next year will be better than Kevin Hayes..it's quite possible. Most overrated College UFA in a while.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:25 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post
florida has to be in on him.
Especially since we are so weak at RW.

We'll see I guess.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:34 PM
EnforceTheLaus
#TeachTheTrospiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Especially since we are so weak at RW.

We'll see I guess.
Blood is thicker than water as they say . I think he'll come down to FLA. Check his comments about playing with his brother at the WCs.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
100% agree with this.

I have no issues with Kevin utilizing his UFA status to end up someplace where he's more likely to have a NHL roster spot. If he's in the AHL, he's making about 10% of what he would in the NHL, so expecting him to "jump on the grenade" for the Hawks is just ludicrous, and extremely short-sighted by some Hawks posters on this site. Hockey is a business, and K Hayes is doing what everyone else would do, trying to maximize his earning potential.
He could have not led the Hawks on including saying as recently as January he was planning to sign with Hawks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
Where ever he signs we will be sure to see far too many "Value of" and "Proposal" threads sending Jimmy Hayes over to join him
One thing I would love to see HF ban---IF player X signs multiyear contract with new team he will not get traded the first year---thus any trade proposals for him get shut down.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Caged Great
HFB Partner

vCash: 950
The Flames RW depth chart consists of Poirier and Hunter Smith. Hayes, being older would probably be the closest to being in the NHL of the three.

Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Monument
Start The Shooting

Please come play with your good friend Chris Kreider in NY.

Monument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He could have not led the Hawks on including saying as recently as January he was planning to sign with Hawks
What is he supposed to say. "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!" I just think that's it's unfair to ask players questions that you know what the answer is going to be. Did a UFA ever say "I hate this place, and the guys in the locker room. No way I'm resigning on 7/1!!!!". No, it's your normal cliches that get regurgitated, and I don't blame the player or GM's when they give the PC answers, even if it's not true at the time.

Since January, the Hawks have brought over TT, signed Richards to a UFA deal, and resigned Regin, all things that significantly impact Hayes' ability to make the Hawks NHL roster. As of right now - KH would have a 0% of making the roster, which wouldn't have been known back in January.

And even if he did intentionally "lead the Hawks on", what would have changed? IMO, no one would have traded more value than the 2015 54th pick for a guy who will be a UFA on 8/15/14, so I don't see what the issue is.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
RomersWorld*

I think the fact that Hayes wants to sign in either Florida or Calgary instead of Chicago speaks volumes.

I think Hayes is certainly talented enough but he seems very immature to me. He also has a problem with lazy back checking and not skating hard.

I wish he would sign with the Hawks but if he wants to play for a bad team like Calgary or Florida instead of a Cup contender then do be it. Perhaps he doesn't have enough confidence I'm his ability to make a great team like the Hawks but would get gifted a spot or make a bad team sooner.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:37 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I think the fact that Hayes wants to sign in either Florida or Calgary instead of Chicago speaks volumes.

I think Hayes is certainly talented enough but he seems very immature to me. He also has a problem with lazy back checking and not skating hard.

I wish he would sign with the Hawks but if he wants to play for a bad team like Calgary or Florida instead of a Cup contender then do be it. Perhaps he doesn't have enough confidence I'm his ability to make a great team like the Hawks but would get gifted a spot or make a bad team sooner.
Sounds like what my friend said the other day when his girlfriend dumped him for another guy.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sounds like what my friend said the other day when his girlfriend dumped him for another guy.
I have to agree with VW on this one.

I hope that Hawks fans (which includes me) get over the **********. Looking at the Hawks depth chart - where do you expect KH to get a reasonable shot at the NHL level? 2016, and then he's duking it out with 4-5 other prospects fighting for 1-2 roster spots? I just just think that it's ridiculous to outright rip on a guy, or insinuate that he lacks confidence in his game, when he is just going to somewhere where he has the chance to make 10 TIMES (or more) per year rather than toiling away for a couple of years in the AHL.

If I had a better chance to increase my earning potential by 10 times, I'd thank my current employer and move on. Hayes doesn't owe the Hawks anything, and I'm just glad that they Hawks would get the 2nd rounder as compensation in 2015 so it's not like he walked for nothing.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
RomersWorld*

Screw the Hawks for trading his brother so that he could get 5x as much money on an NHL team instead of being stuck in the AHL. What jerks. They should've instead kept Jimmy Hayes in the AHL to ensure he doesn't make a lot of money. He wasn't good enough to be on a Cup contender and they traded him to an awful team where he could get playing time.

I don't see why Kaye's would be upset about that. I think it has to do with him feeling bad that his brother isn't good enough for the Hawks and that Kevin Hayes doesn't believe he will be good enough either.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote