HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames want to sign Kevin Hayes

Old
07-03-2014, 06:33 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Individual View Post
TT was playing against men in a league that is much better than the NCAA
It's not much better. It's slightly better. That said, TT is a guy with a much higher ceiling than Hayes.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
This is one of those situations where social media tends to do nothing but get a player in trouble. If I was a player (or agent for a player), I would tell them that under no circumstance should they have a twitter account. A significant % of what is posted can be misconstrued, and nothing good comes from that.
Just don't tweet about negotiation/business stuff on your social media accounts.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:41 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman View Post
Bravo to Kevin for using the system to his advantage. A player's draft rights under this system significantly favor owners and in this one instance, a player made a decision to forego certain money in order to choose his destiny. I don't see anyone complaining that an NHL team holds a player's rights for the same period without any obligation to sign him until this same period.

I get the pain the Blackhawks are feeling, but this is one of out of a thousand and doesn't merit a system tweak, let alone overhaul.
That's how I feel. As a Flames fan, I hold no ill will towards Erixon. Id be pretty pissed off about being constrained to one employer, having my salary capped and undermarket value, and having absolutely no control as to the amount of work available for me. The owners and older players are raking it in. For people who want to fix the only stupid little "college education loophole", I ask what they gain off the liberties of these kids?

Its just a game. Jesus. The Blackhawks could sign him and then dump his ass in the minors for rubbing Quineville the wrong way. The fans would then commend Q for showing this little punk how to be a pro. It goes both ways.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I still think Florida has as good a chance as Calgary at getting him.
I would imagine, so does probably another 20 teams...

...I just don't get why this kid would prioritize playing with 2-3 pals when UFAs all the time choose to leave pals they played 5-10 years with for whatever reason (money/winning/whatever).

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:38 PM
PZA
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

...I just don't get why this kid would prioritize playing with 2-3 pals when UFAs all the time choose to leave pals they played 5-10 years with for whatever reason (money/winning/whatever).
He's not just prioritizing to play with Gaudreau and Arnold, the Flames have weak on the RW. And arguably if he were to join the Flames, he would be their top RW prospect. The Flames are pretty adamant on giving young players an opportunity to make the team, if they show they are ready.

PZA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZA View Post
He's not just prioritizing to play with Gaudreau and Arnold, the Flames have weak on the RW. And arguably if he were to join the Flames, he would be their top RW prospect. The Flames are pretty adamant on giving young players an opportunity to make the team, if they show they are ready.
He isn't ready and wants to be gifted a roster spot. You'll need to guarantee him a roster spot to get him, because he thinks he deserves one. Great guy!

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:25 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
The panthers are also pretty shallow in good RW prospects as well, and I mean pretty as in our only good RW prospects are actually centers.

TheCupNeedsATan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:40 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

But he wants to play in the NHL, how many other teams could guarantee that but Florida or Calgary, who are both really thin at wing?

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:56 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think Calgary got a lot of goodwill with this group by respecting Gaudreau's wishes to finish the year in Boston and then flying him and Arnold down for their first big game.

Pretty amazing to have an entire amateur league line playing in the NHL.
Except that Arnold will be lucky to have a career as a 4th liner.

Arnold isn't going to play with Gaudreau in the NHL for long.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:58 PM
MarkGio

I wonder if it would be in the Flames interest to offer sheet Jimmy Hayes? I would even offer Jones at 50% for Jimmy Hayes in order to have a chance at some extra RWers at that 21-26 year old range. Maybe even offer sheet Caron too and let all them guys fight for a spot. One of 'em is bound to pan out.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:02 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Except that Arnold will be lucky to have a career as a 4th liner.

Arnold isn't going to play with Gaudreau in the NHL for long.
Arnold was considered the best defensive forward in the NCAA. That line wasn't the best in the league because it had 2 mediocre guys and 1 superstar. It had 3 guys who brought a special game in their own way. Arnold looked pretty good in his first game.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:07 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I wonder if it would be in the Flames interest to offer sheet Jimmy Hayes? I would even offer Jones at 50% for Jimmy Hayes in order to have a chance at some extra RWers at that 21-26 year old range. Maybe even offer sheet Caron too and let all them guys fight for a spot. One of 'em is bound to pan out.
Of course you would people bashing UFA's this summer. What the hell did Jones ever do to get that contract Jimmy is a PP2 beast in front of the net and needed at RW where Panthers only holes are at currently.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:11 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
You realize the other team gets to match the offer sheet right? The only way an offer sheet would work is if you overpay, but then you are giving up draft picks after 1.5 million.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Darth Bangkok

Why no hate on this kid for not signing with the team that drafted him like everyone else?

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Of course you would people bashing UFA's this summer. What the hell did Jones ever do to get that contract Jimmy is a PP2 beast in front of the net and needed at RW where Panthers only holes are at currently.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Why no hate on this kid for not signing with the team that drafted him like everyone else?
we aren't allowed to hate on this kid because the Hawks have a good roster.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
There is plenty of hate from Hawks fans but others realize that it is the smart move for his career given the circumstances. Calgary and Florida fans are simply too blinded by his potential for their team to give a **** about the hawks "stacked team problems"

Old
07-03-2014, 10:29 PM
PZA
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
He isn't ready and wants to be gifted a roster spot. You'll need to guarantee him a roster spot to get him, because he thinks he deserves one. Great guy!
Do you agree the he has a better shot at cracking the Flames roster than the Hawks? If so, you shouldn't be sour towards him because he wants the best opportunity be an NHL player.

PZA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:35 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Would NYR or the Bruins be interested?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:44 PM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

vCash: 230
Hawks get compensated for him not signing, so it really doesn't matter either way. He has a better chance of a hockey career in Calgary or Florida.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:58 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
You realize the other team gets to match the offer sheet right? The only way an offer sheet would work is if you overpay, but then you are giving up draft picks after 1.5 million.
Alright, at what point would Florida fail to match an offer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Panthers also have an internal budget right?

Regarding Caron, obviously the Bruins are no position to match an offer sheet...

Old
07-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Do you agree the he has a better shot at cracking the Flames roster than the Hawks? If so, you shouldn't be sour towards him because he wants the best opportunity be an NHL player.
His best opportunity to be an NHL player is with Calgary. His best opportunity to maximize his skills, legacy and salary is with the Hawks.

Players that have stuck with the Hawks even though they were buried in the Hawks org:
Hjalmarsson (4.5M a year)
Bickell (4x4M)
Crawford (6x6M)
Ben Smith (3x1.5)
Brouwer (3x4)
Bolland (Going to make $50M in his career because of the Hawks)
Morin is about to take off
Andrew Shaw never had a prayer, could barely make the IceHogs
Nick Leddy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You give your pound of flesh to the Hawks organization (which sucks, but is absolutely best for you in the long run) and they make you rich, put your name on the cup and make you memorable.

What KHayes is doing is short sighted and just plain dumb. Johns had the exact same decision and he signed on the dotted line. Hayes cares more about partying with his bros.

Old
07-03-2014, 11:06 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Yeah I didn't think Jimmy put up the same ppg pace as David Jones last year. Looking at it closely, the Flames would have to add a lot more since Jimmy is 5 years younger.

Although, Jimmy and Kevin play the same position. Florida is too deep at centre for Kevin to want to go there in that role. So basically the two brothers would be fighting each other for ice time, so its not like Florida is the place where they get to play together.

Old
07-03-2014, 11:07 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
His best opportunity to be an NHL player is with Calgary. His best opportunity to maximize his skills, legacy and salary is with the Hawks.

Players that have stuck with the Hawks even though they were buried in the Hawks org:
Bickell (4x4M)
Crawford (6x6M)
Ben Smith (3x1.5)
Brouwer (3x4)
Bolland (Going to make $50M in his career because of the Hawks)
Morin is about to take off
Andrew Shaw never had a prayer, could barely make the IceHogs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You give your pound of flesh to the Hawks organization (which sucks, but is absolutely best for you in the long run) and they make you rich, put your name on the cup and make you memorable.

What KHayes is doing is short sighted and just plain dumb. Johns had the exact same decision and he signed on the dotted line. Hayes cares more about partying with his bros.
Or maybe he sees the writing on the wall - since we all know that after the Hawks pay Toews and Kane, there won't be much money for depth and Stanley Cups

Old
07-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Or maybe he sees the writing on the wall - since we all know that after the Hawks pay Toews and Kane, there won't be much money for depth and Stanley Cups
This Hayes thing just reveals character. If winning and cups is the most important thing to you then you can't be with a better team than Chicago. You spend a year in Rockford and come up when we purge.

If partying with your buddies, getting paid a year earlier than you would for the Hawks while losing constantly is more your lane.... Calgary it is!

It's one of those decisions that he will look back on later and regret and it's frustrating he doesn't see it now, but the Hawks train will keep on rolling without him.