HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames want to sign Kevin Hayes

Old
07-03-2014, 10:21 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Except that Arnold will be lucky to have a career as a 4th liner.

Arnold isn't going to play with Gaudreau in the NHL for long.
You obviously know nothing about Bill Arnold. He'll make the NHL sooner than later.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOut View Post
You obviously know nothing about Bill Arnold. He'll make the NHL sooner than later.
I think Arnold will get some ice time as soon as next season, after injuries to Backlund and Stajan. His game is easy to fit in the bottom six, and what coach would have issues with his style? He has to beat out Knight and Granlund for call-ups in his position.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:52 PM
chubeyr

What's with the Arnold hate? I remember a certain defensive center many years ago what was his name Craig........oh ya Craig Conroy. Saw Arnold play his first game on the Flames and was impressed. Back checked hard helping out the D. Played the body and won the corner battles. He looked like a pro in his first game!

As for Hayes? I get the Hawks fans have hurt feelings I would too. I don't blame the kid though. Fans saying guessing he does not want to be part of a Stanley cup contender? Your not part of that if you are in the minors.

He has a much better chance playing for the Flames. Makes sense for him. Yet I don't think he will sign here. I would like it but don't think it will happen. Don't know if that's him or management on the Flames. Just a feeling.

chubeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 740
My favorite part of this, will be when Hayes signs on with Chicago and all these guys posting will be like
"Uhh, ****, top 10 prospect wooooooot!"

HF cracks me up.
I hope Calgary does get him though, incredibly weak on the RW.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Flames Jihadist
#GOFLAMESGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
This Hayes thing just reveals character. If winning and cups is the most important thing to you then you can't be with a better team than Chicago. You spend a year in Rockford and come up when we purge.

If partying with your buddies, getting paid a year earlier than you would for the Hawks while losing constantly is more your lane.... Calgary it is!

It's one of those decisions that he will look back on later and regret and it's frustrating he doesn't see it now, but the Hawks train will keep on rolling without him.
You realize Calgary will be a pretty darn good team in just a few years right? Monahan.. Bennett.. Gaudreau.. Baertschi.. Poirier.. Klimchuk.. I can go on.

You speak as if the Blackhawks will forever be a Cup contender and the Flames will forever suck.

Flames Jihadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Snowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
You realize Calgary will be a pretty darn good team in just a few years right? Monahan.. Bennett.. Gaudreau.. Baertschi.. Poirier.. Klimchuk.. I can go on.

You speak as if the Blackhawks will forever be a Cup contender and the Flames will forever suck.
Yup just like Edmonton will be Stanley Cup contenders every year with Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, Gagner, Nurse... I can go on as well.

Just because a player is a star in junior doesn't necessarily mean they will be a star in the NHL.

No one said the Hawks will forever be cup contenders.... maybe that is why Chicago fans are upset with Hayes, they know how difficult it is to stay at the top and don't want to lose a talented young player for a 2nd round pick.

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Snowhawk

Personally I don't understand why there is so much animosity directed at Kevin Lindros... all players should just be able to choose where they want to play without paying their dues.

Screw the draft and a system aimed at achieving competetive balance and a strong vibrant business!

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Erased

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Alright, at what point would Florida fail to match an offer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Panthers also have an internal budget right?

Regarding Caron, obviously the Bruins are no position to match an offer sheet...
The internal budget left with the former owners. We'll be about 4-6 million away from the cap after signing RFAs.

As far as matching we would probably go up to 2 million which would cost you a second round pick that you won't have if you also have to give it to Chicago to sign Kevin.

Erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:03 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post

Yeah but realistically the Flames could have some of the same growing pains. There isn't a whole lot of high end defensive prospects in the system. I believe the Flames will be a more effective franchise long term based on front office additions, later round drafting, and having the AHL franchise move east, but the Flames have been challenged with drafting high end forwards over defenseman.

Old
07-04-2014, 12:11 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
The internal budget left with the former owners. We'll be about 4-6 million away from the cap after signing RFAs.

As far as matching we would probably go up to 2 million which would cost you a second round pick that you won't have if you also have to give it to Chicago to sign Kevin.
I can't see the Flames giving up their second. But if they were to make a trade for Hayes, I would think that pretty much guarantee them Kevin too. Unless of course they're the kind of brothers that can't stand each other...

If I were the Flames, I would still negotiate an offer sheet and have it matched. That alone sends a message to Kevin

Old
07-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
My favorite part of this, will be when Hayes signs on with Chicago and all these guys posting will be like
"Uhh, ****, top 10 prospect wooooooot!"

HF cracks me up.
I hope Calgary does get him though, incredibly weak on the RW.
Why wouldn't we be allowed to be excited if Hayes signs? Because it pisses us off that all reports indicate he won't so we are operating under that assumption.

Really, we are getting pissed because we have so much talent that our own prospects want to go to worse teams. How terrible. Bottom feeders like Calgary and Florida get to take our scraps and get excited about them. Pirri, Hayes, Bolland, Olsen, Kopecky, Campbell, KHayes.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Yeah but realistically the Flames could have some of the same growing pains. There isn't a whole lot of high end defensive prospects in the system. I believe the Flames will be a more effective franchise long term based on front office additions, later round drafting, and having the AHL franchise move east, but the Flames have been challenged with drafting high end forwards over defenseman.
MarkGio, I thought you were dead lol; haven't seen you in forever!

I think Calgary will be back competing sooner rather than later. They struck gold getting guys like Brodie, Johnny Hockey, Bouma, Wotherspoon and Billy Arnold in the late rounds of the draft. Now, will all of them live up to what they current career path is? No; but it gives Calgary a good shot.

I see them being a bottom 5 team one more season, but I think they have the system in place to succeed going forward after that.

These Hawks fans don't remember the decade they were absolutely one of the worst teams (bottom 10) in the league consistently; until they drafted Toews and Kane. I mean, I think most of the guys who post here don't remember, because they probably weren't fans of that team until they did get good

Old
07-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Why wouldn't we be allowed to be excited if Hayes signs? Because it pisses us off that all reports indicate he won't so we are operating under that assumption.

Really, we are getting pissed because we have so much talent that our own prospects want to go to worse teams. How terrible. Bottom feeders like Calgary and Florida get to take our scraps and get excited about them. Pirri, Hayes, Bolland, Olsen, Kopecky, Campbell, KHayes.
It's not getting excited, it's getting on-board and being a homer. L2Read.

You act like your Hawks are the first team to ever have this happen. Brett Hull stated that Calgary was veteran team and he didn't fit in; before he got moved.

Welcome to the NHL; teams that are stacked up front have kids that want to go elsewhere to get a chance to play.

And why wouldn't Calgary get excited over getting a free ex-first rounder? They haven't had the luxury of being a bottom feeder for 10 years straight, getting 3 top 3 picks in a span of 4 years yet. I love these bandwagon Hawks people who don't even remember their own history.

Old
07-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Erased

vCash: 57
Quote:
I can't see the Flames giving up their second. But if they were to make a trade for Hayes, I would think that pretty much guarantee them Kevin too. Unless of course they're the kind of brothers that can't stand each other...

If I were the Flames, I would still negotiate an offer sheet and have it matched. That alone sends a message to Kevin
why would we bother to trade him? we wont get for him what he is worth to us.

us matching the offer sheet only sends the message that we want Jimmy just as much if not more than you do. its pointless

Erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:29 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
MarkGio, I thought you were dead lol; haven't seen you in forever!

I think Calgary will be back competing sooner rather than later. They struck gold getting guys like Brodie, Johnny Hockey, Bouma, Wotherspoon and Billy Arnold in the late rounds of the draft. Now, will all of them live up to what they current career path is? No; but it gives Calgary a good shot.

I see them being a bottom 5 team one more season, but I think they have the system in place to succeed going forward after that.

These Hawks fans don't remember the decade they were absolutely one of the worst teams (bottom 10) in the league consistently; until they drafted Toews and Kane. I mean, I think most of the guys who post here don't remember, because they probably weren't fans of that team until they did get good
But consider this, what if the Flames had a choice between Hafinen and Eichel during the next draft? Its a tough choice when arguing BPA or organizational needs. Id argue that Klimchuck wasn't necessary when 2 other forwards were drafted early. We then go and draft Kanzig (like, seriously?).

So if I had a crystal ball, I would think the Flames are going down a similar path to the Oilers, except that we won't have as bad goaltending. Plus we actually have decent guys in Giordano and Brodie going forward, whereas they had Smid, Whitney and Gilbert to start things off.

Anywho, its pretty thin in the pipes after Wotherspoon

And thanks. Its good to be chatting with you again as well. Always good to talk hockey!

Old
07-04-2014, 12:32 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
why would we bother to trade him? we wont get for him what he is worth to us.

us matching the offer sheet only sends the message that we want Jimmy just as much if not more than you do. its pointless
Everyone has a price. Mmwwwhahaha!

Old
07-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Taze em

Quote:
It's not getting excited, it's getting on-board and being a homer. L2Read.

You act like your Hawks are the first team to ever have this happen. Brett Hull stated that Calgary was veteran team and he didn't fit in; before he got moved.

Welcome to the NHL; teams that are stacked up front have kids that want to go elsewhere to get a chance to play.

And why wouldn't Calgary get excited over getting a free ex-first rounder? They haven't had the luxury of being a bottom feeder for 10 years straight, getting 3 top 3 picks in a span of 4 years yet. I love these bandwagon Hawks people who don't even remember their own history.
5 top 5 picks in 30 years, which includes the lost decade.

Calgary had the 1.4 and 1.6 the last two years, poised for another next year.

I also love that the default is that any Chicago fan is a bandwagoner who doesn't know our history... I guess it's the only chirp people have against Chicago these days. Warms my heart.

Old
07-04-2014, 12:47 AM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZA View Post
Do you agree the he has a better shot at cracking the Flames roster than the Hawks? If so, you shouldn't be sour towards him because he wants the best opportunity be an NHL player.
Might as well do away with the draft altogether then.

SLarmer28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Taze em

The only thing that angers me is that the Hawks get penalized for doing their jobs too well and other teams that do their jobs badly get rewarded. We already have that baked into the cake with the draft order, we don't need to double down.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:04 AM
HeisenBaez

Wait......Kevin Hayes is still a thing?

HeisenBaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

vCash: 50
I would be okay with the Flames targeting Hayes as a free agent, but only because he is a big, power forward RW prospect and the Flames are sorely lacking that. If the reasoning is to reunite him with Gaudreau and Arnold, I would rather pass because that is ass backwards reasoning.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Kanye
Life of Pablo

vCash: 182
Quote:
The only thing that angers me is that the Hawks get penalized for doing their jobs too well and other teams that do their jobs badly get rewarded. We already have that baked into the cake with the draft order, we don't need to double down.
Awe. Poor fella.

Kanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:47 AM
ChoseLa

Wonder if Bergevin can convince him, he knows him from his Chicago days.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:50 AM
madmike77

Quote:
There's always more of a risk in drafting NCAA players, or European-born players, because they can play competitive hockey for several years (and even make decent money doing so in Europe) and then become NHL FAs.

A lot of Flames fans were sweating over Gaudreau, thinking he might do his four years and sign with someone like Philly (his favorite team growing up). I think the main reason he didn't is Calgary is pretty thin on talent and offers more opportunities for young players than most teams.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 09:47 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Flames View Post
I would be okay with the Flames targeting Hayes as a free agent, but only because he is a big, power forward RW prospect and the Flames are sorely lacking that. If the reasoning is to reunite him with Gaudreau and Arnold, I would rather pass because that is ass backwards reasoning.
I don't see why. That line was very dominant. It's always good to have cohesion in the locker room.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote