HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Your 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche! (Roster, lines, Surprises)

Old
07-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 653
This year's motto: "Why us?"

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:40 PM
ThatAvsGamer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic so I wont comment on your speed comment but a lot of people think Mackinnon should be slowly worked in as a centre. Letting him split duties with a defensively responsible Ryan O'Reilly isn't a bad idea for a 19 year old kid.

Our team is slower than our team last year especially in the top 6. Mackinnon will likely have Landy on his line to help him in the defensive zone. Mackinnon played well center last year when he was given the chance. He also took over Duchene's spot (when injured) well for the short time.

I really think our bottom 6 is a wash. except for Talbot and Mcginn , I see them as the only consistent 3rd line players. They have solidified those spots imo.

I don't think Iginla and Duchene will end up working out well. Duchene seems to play better with faster players. But Iginla is a type of player that's willing to go in the corners and get the puck. that will be helpful for Duchene.

If Landy and RoR are reunited i'd put them both on the wing is what I think one of our best options but splitting them up would result in two lines being that much better defensively and the line without either of them wouldn't be that strong defensively.

RoR-Duchene-iginla
landy-mack-tangs

I want Mack to play center but I won't be surprised if Roy places him on the wing for the start and I wouldn't be opposed to it and I still think Mack will flourish but I really think it is for the worse if he is a winger.

Depending how well Duchene and Iginla play together I would like to see

tangs-duchene-iginla
landy-mack-ror

Last edited by ThatAvsGamer: 07-03-2014 at 02:49 PM.
ThatAvsGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Semyon Vezinamov
Mulan Szechuan Sauce

I don't get the "we are slower/a lot slower" comments.

New Additions: Iginla, Briere, Winchester, Redmond, Stuart

Left/Replaced Stastny, PAP, Benoit, Sarich, Guenin (replaced), Cliche (Replaced), Bordy/McLeod (Sits/Replaced)

Speed Comparables:
Iggy = Staz (Staz a little more mobile)
Briere = PAP (Briere more mobile laterally and tries harder/PAP has two injured knees)
Winchester > Cliche/McLeod/Bordy
Redmond > Sarich/Guenin
Redmond = Benoit (Probably edge to Redmond)
Stuart > Guenin
Stuart < Benoit/Sarich

Overall, yes we are older but I think we are more balanced defensively and possession-wise and not really slower.

Semyon Vezinamov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Cullen Bohannon

I think it will and should go like this:

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla

Re-kindle the old chemistry Iggy and Tangs had in CGY and give them Duchene who opens up so much space on the ice by having 2 guys usually chasing him around trying to catch him, and I think this will be a really good line barring any injuries.

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Mackinnon

ROR needs to go back to playing C to match up against our opponents' top lines, and he and Landy had great chemistry together. Plus, MacK will be able to hone his defensive game a bit, to a passable level.

McGinn-Briere-Talbot

Briere should be a C, he's way more effective there. McGinn adds some size and scoring to that line and Talbot can be pretty effective at both ends of the ice.

McLeod-Mitchell-Winchester

Pretty much the best 4th line we've seen this team ice in a long time, with Malkin and Winchester being able to play spot duty on the 3rd line if need be (when there are the inevitable injuries)

Bordy as the 13th forward because he is more useful than Cliche and can be inserted into the lineup when needed. Cliche goes to the AHL to provide a veteran presence and because let's be honest, nobody will claim him if we need to recall him due to injuries.

Hishon will also start the year in LE. All the overagers we signed over the spring will also all start in the AHL, there's no way any of them beat out the current lineup. Unless there's 2-3 injuries before opening day, they will have a year to get molded into Roy's system in LE.

The D:

Hejda-Johnson

Roy will keep these two together, they worked so well last year.

Stuart-Barrie

Roy went out and got Stuart to be Barrie's partner, and unless something drastic happens, like Stuart outplaying Hejda somehow, this will be the 2nd pairing.

Holden-Redmond

Hopefully Redmond won't have to constantly cover up for Holden's inept defensive play, and it won't affect his own game too much.

Guenin and Wilson will be the 7th and 8th D.

Elliott will either be sent back to LE or traded, possibly in a package with Pickard and/or Hishon.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 04:34 PM
ThatAvsGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semyon Vezinamov View Post
I don't get the "we are slower/a lot slower" comments.

New Additions: Iginla, Briere, Winchester, Redmond, Stuart

Left/Replaced Stastny, PAP, Benoit, Sarich, Guenin (replaced), Cliche (Replaced), Bordy/McLeod (Sits/Replaced)

Speed Comparables:
Iggy = Staz (Staz a little more mobile)
Briere = PAP (Briere more mobile laterally and tries harder/PAP has two injured knees)
Winchester > Cliche/McLeod/Bordy
Redmond > Sarich/Guenin
Redmond = Benoit (Probably edge to Redmond)
Stuart > Guenin
Stuart < Benoit/Sarich

Overall, yes we are older but I think we are more balanced defensively and possession-wise and not really slower.
Iginla is no where near the same speed as Stastny, this really isn't close. Briere is not faster than PaP. I can't really make too much of an accurate comparison with redmond and winchester. Stastny and PaP may not have been our fastest players but they were still definetly one of the faster players on the team and we lost them both to slower players.

Old
07-03-2014, 04:52 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

I'm down for
ROR - Dutchy - Iggy
Landy - MacK - Tango
McG - Briere - Talbs
Mitchell - Winchester - Bordy/Highlander

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19Duchene9 View Post
Iginla is no where near the same speed as Stastny, this really isn't close. Briere is not faster than PaP. I can't really make too much of an accurate comparison with redmond and winchester. Stastny and PaP may not have been our fastest players but they were still definetly one of the faster players on the team and we lost them both to slower players.
No way was PAP one of the faster skaters on the team. He was down near the bottom in terms of speed easily.

Stastny was somewhere in the middle.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
ThatAvsGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
No way was PAP one of the faster skaters on the team. He was down near the bottom in terms of speed easily.

Stastny was somewhere in the middle.
Still doesn't change the fact that they are faster than their replacements.Iginla could be fighting for the slowest forward on the team.

Bordeleau, Talbot, mitchell, mcleod, Tanguy are all players they are both faster than, could even argue Landy and RoR.

Old
07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
I think when people say the Wild series showed a lack of speed, they really mean quickness.

Av have lots of guys that are good or fast skaters but not quick. That is one of the reasons teams cycle and maintain possession so well against the Avs. The Avs do not close the gap and fill passing lanes quick enough.

It is one of the reasons I think EJ struggled over the years on the PK. He skates great entering the zone, once he's up to speed and I do not think I'd ever say he was slow or a poor skater, but I do think he is not very quick especially in his starts and stops nor in his changes in direction when playing in the defensive end.

Now adding Stuart, Briere, and Iginla while losing Stastny and Benoit (not blazers, but good in regards to quickness) and it could be argued the Avs are slower (in this sense less quick) especially Stuart.

07-03-2014, 05:29 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
I don't getting he speed issue either. We still have two of the absolute fastest players in the league. We are still going to play an uptempo style. Not every single player is going to be able to keep up in a track meet, you need complimentary players anyway or else just add Cumiskey and every other blazingly fast player with no regard to how they play hockey. It's like moron analysts that think the only reason we were successful is because we out ran everyone.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

landeskog-duchene-mackinnon
tanguay-o'reilly-iginla(shutdown line)
mcginn-mitchell-briere
McLeod-Talbot-Winchester
bordy/cliché

hejda-johnson
stuart-barrie
holden-elliot
Redmond/Wilson/guenin

varlamov
berra

landy92mack29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

O'Reilly Duchene Iginla
Landeskog MacKinnon Tanguay
McGinn Talbot Briere
McLeod Mitchell Winchester
Bordealeau

Cliche

Hejda Johnson
Stuart Barrie
Redmond Holden
Elliott/Guenin
Wilson

If no trades are made.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:10 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
How would you rank everyone, speed-wise?

StayAtHomeAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:34 PM
freeboy

Well
Here goes
Duchy centers between Ror and iggy
Mad makkinon centers between Landy and talbot or mcGinn
Hishon centers.. Or brierre, man I cannot spell, with talbot or mcGinn and tangs
Ok so tangs talbot and brierre or Hishon tangs and fill in with

That gives you three good lines with tons of scoring ... Matching up third line with barie and x defender for a really hard to defend four attacker third line ishness...
Ok
Take whomever left and play Mitchell on forth line .. And all of a sudden you have four line that can play scoring hockey...
We list Staz and pap.. And somehow we are slower? Not from my perspective. Bords gets an ax and keep Mcloud but not both

For defense drop either Wilson or ? He would have to have a great preseason to make team IMO.

EJ Stuart ?
Barrie Hedja
Holden and some guy from jets?
Lol
Ok sorry
I really think bords is terrible .. Great attitude though so maybe they keep him for fighting goons....
Adding Hishon really changes things too, adds a potential to have four lines with breakout speed.. and pairing barie up opus ate line 3 of four for the added jump up would give poising teams depth nightmares....
Just a note my concept works fine if you HAVE to play tangs top six... But it us a total just score concept. No thought is given to best defense other than under no circumstances 5 on 5 can duchy and Mac play.. They have anti chemistry..
Ok
Flail away guys.
I'm so glad to be looking forward... That was painful ending to mini

This years motto,
Kill mini and destroy the blues.. Hum cannot say kill..
How about give the wild some blues and crush the blues.. Not catchy enough.. Ok
How about from my college days,
A winning season is beating the blues? Nope
Ok last try
Moto is

"
Watch out avalanche zone "
Ok that's my final answer

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Barklez

Quote:
This is all just flat out wrong. The vast majority of the league is faster than PA Parenteau, Iginla is nowhere near as washed up as you make him sound, and Stastny was nothing to write home about skating-wise. The only argument for the Avs getting slower this FA is Stuart, who by all accounts sounds like he might as well be running around on the ice in shoes as far as Sharks fans would have you believe. Regardless, it's not like the Avs had the most mobile D last year so at worst Redmond's mobility and Stuart's lackthereof negate each other and leave us back where we were last year.

We picked up a future HOFer who has plenty left in the tank and a shifty vet who's hockey smarts can make up for any speed lost since his prime. We all watched Hejduk on aging legs look just fine thanks to smart veteran play and we have no reason to expect anything else from Briere.

But no, everybody panic. We traded a 28 year old and a 31 year old for a 36 year old and a 37 year old, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows legs quit functioning at 32 years of age!!!!!

p.s. For anyone who may have missed it, I'm pretty sure all this panic about how slow the Avs suddenly got is all coming from one segment of one of the morons on TSN talking about how the Wild shredded the Avs with their speed and the Avs just couldn't keep up. Once again on anything Avs related, go home TSN, you're drunk.

Barklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:46 PM
OMackDuch

with all the D we have .... it's impossible to see siemens or bigras next year.... right ?
Bigras had a really good camp last year and siemens need 1 or 2 years I think.

with hejda stuart and wilson leaving next year, maybe they will have a chance.

OMackDuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Barklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Briere is way agile than PAP, and probably faster in a straight line (this is a relative statement... PAP is a really poor skater). Iginla isn't as agile as Stastny, but top speed is about the same (doesn't need to be as good of a skater since he is a wing). Winchester is one of the better skaters in the bottom 6, infinitely better than Cliche and Bordy. Redmond is more agile and faster that most of our defensemen (again not saying much, but Redmond is an above average skater). Stuart is better than Sarich, but slightly worse than Benoit.... overall the Avs are slightly faster and more agile than they were before, but it isn't a big difference at all either way.

What the Avs really gained was grit and leadership, while staying the same (or slightly better IMO) in the skating department. The goal was to get bigger and meaner (not faster), they accomplished that.
Thought this could be quoted across into this thread as well.

Barklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Hans Landaskog

MacK will be center, doubt O'Reilly goes back. Lando can be the defensive player on the line, and Tanguay is a smart player and makes smart defensive plays. That 2nd line will be fine.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:57 PM
freeboy

Don't think Wilson stays.. Hadja probably gets extension
Bigras Seimons are coming when they are ready .. We are not overrun with GREAT d men. They can okay better than another player they probably get a nod.
We are not a slow team... I cannot wait to play wild... I hope we come out with a vengeance and do a 7-1 opener .. A good old fashion can of wooooopass

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:35 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact that they are faster than their replacements.Iginla could be fighting for the slowest forward on the team.

Bordeleau, Talbot, mitchell, mcleod, Tanguy are all players they are both faster than, could even argue Landy and RoR.
I have no idea where you're getting your information from but Jarome Iginla definitely is not going to be one of the slower players on this team, and he absolutely 100% is faster than Stastny. Iggy may have lost a step, but it is a very small step that he's lost. The guy is still very fast

Also, Parenteau was one of the slowest players on this team, so don't even try to say he was one of the fastest. Talbot, Mitchell, Landy and ROR are all faster than him. Same goes for Stastny. Stastny was a positional player, always in the right spot. His speed has always been a detriment

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:40 PM
dahrougem2

Going into next season, the lines I'd like to see are:

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-O'Reilly
McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
Talbot-Cliche-Winchester

Stuart-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Redmond

Varly
Berra (Yuck)

I feel like Tanguay and Iginla NEED to play together on this team, given Tanguay was heavily recruiting him and they had a great deal of success together in Calgary. And Dutchy at C makes the most sense with them, even though he is blazingly fast, he isn't mach 1000 like MacKinnon is. Re-uniting O'Reilly and Landeskog is a no brainer to me as long as one of them can play RW, and if not, shift MacK back there and move O'Reilly to C. This is the line we match up against other teams' top lines.

The third line can be interchanged at C between Mitchell and Briere, but I prefer Mitchell there because of his size and mobility. The fourth line doesn't even have to chip in with offence, just get the puck in deep and bang bodies. May be a bit undersized but all three guys are extremely hard workers and will be staples of the PK. I don't want McLeod on this team anymore, Bordeleau can be 13th forward.

The defence is still a work in progress and I had a hard time deciding who would play with EJ, but ultimately the decision came down to who would fit better with Barrie, and I decided it would be Hejda. EJ seems like he can handle himself now after his great year, hopefully it continues, so we can put Hejda along with Barrie to provide that calming presence.

Sometime during the season I'd love to see Hishon get a crack in the top 9

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:43 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMackDuch View Post
with all the D we have .... it's impossible to see siemens or bigras next year.... right ?
Bigras had a really good camp last year and siemens need 1 or 2 years I think.

with hejda stuart and wilson leaving next year, maybe they will have a chance.
I would not say impossible. I would hate to see them play in a lower league if they are one of the top 8 players we got. especially Bigras since he can't be shuffled back and forth.

Johnson, Hedja, Barrie, Stuart and Holden- safe to say they are going to make it
Redmond- highly doubt he gets sent down with everything I have read (situation and talent), even if he is just for depth purposes.

Those last 2 spots should be open though. Guinen, Wilson and Elliott are not exactly unpassable or guys that need to be on the roster. If Siemens or Bigras are better, then so be it.

StayAtHomeAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Cypher
Vote Tom Kirkman!

This year's motto: "I ain't afraid of no ghost!"

And Briere plays better at C then RW, but Michell and Winchester play C better than Briere. Doesn't really matter where you put Briere, he's going to somewhat suck.

As far as line-up goes, I'd like this:

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Tanguay
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere
Mcleod - Winchester - Talbot
Bordeleau

Stuart - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Guenin
Wilson - Redmond

Varlamov
Berra

I think they'll for sure try Mack at C, but if he struggles (size, face-offs, etc) after say 10 games, I could see O'Reilly going to 2C, Mackinnon going to 2RW and Tanguay 1LW. Really hope Mack does P90X in 30 days every month this summer.

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 10:01 PM
OMackDuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
I would not say impossible. I would hate to see them play in a lower league if they are one of the top 8 players we got. especially Bigras since he can't be shuffled back and forth.

Johnson, Hedja, Barrie, Stuart and Holden- safe to say they are going to make it
Redmond- highly doubt he gets sent down with everything I have read (situation and talent), even if he is just for depth purposes.

Those last 2 spots should be open though. Guinen, Wilson and Elliott are not exactly unpassable or guys that need to be on the roster. If Siemens or Bigras are better, then so be it.
yeah, but would it be better for siemens and bigras to play top minute in the ahl (bigras can't play in the ahl I think, so in the junior for him) of eating natchos in the nhl ?

OMackDuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Jayevs
Formerly avsman

Here's my "surprise" roster

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-O'Reilly-MacKinnon
McGinn-Hishon-Briere
Talbot-Mitchell-Winchester
McLeod(Bordeleau to Montreal)