HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche! (Roster, lines, Surprises)

Old
07-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Speed isn't just about skating when it comes to being a team that plays with a high tempo. It's about being able to give the puck to players at the right time and them being able to handle it.

Look at David Jones. He's a pretty fast guy when he got going. He didn't know when to look for the puck and when he got it he couldn't handle it. He was useless in transition and all his speed was wasted.

Stastny might not be the fastest skater but he knows how to give other players the puck at the right time and can handle the puck himself. So he can contribute to a speed game without being a speedster.

I haven't watched Briere intently the last couple of years so I can't tell how he's going to do. Iginla seems to be more effective once you already gained the opposing teams blue line. He has still got good power, a good shot and good offensive instincts. He'll be a big asset to this team, but perhaps not making the team play a fast game.

The problem with Parenteau wasn't his footspeed. It was that he was always looking to gain the blue line and then look for the pass instead of trying to find players earlier. Landeskog, Duchene and MacKinnon are all excellent in transition when someone gives them the puck when they are gathering speed.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 01:51 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Speed isn't just about skating when it comes to being a team that plays with a high tempo. It's about being able to give the puck to players at the right time and them being able to handle it.

Look at David Jones. He's a pretty fast guy when he got going. He didn't know when to look for the puck and when he got it he couldn't handle it. He was useless in transition and all his speed was wasted.

Stastny might not be the fastest skater but he knows how to give other players the puck at the right time and can handle the puck himself. So he can contribute to a speed game without being a speedster.

I haven't watched Briere intently the last couple of years so I can't tell how he's going to do. Iginla seems to be more effective once you already gained the opposing teams blue line. He has still got good power, a good shot and good offensive instincts. He'll be a big asset to this team, but perhaps not making the team play a fast game.

The problem with Parenteau wasn't his footspeed. It was that he was always looking to gain the blue line and then look for the pass instead of trying to find players earlier. Landeskog, Duchene and MacKinnon are all excellent in transition when someone gives them the puck when they are gathering speed.
Agree, and my 2 cents is that Iginla looked a bit slow in transition when the pace got to that back and forth point that the Avs tend to do.

I'm glad the Avs got Iginla for what he brings in power and goal scoring, just do not know if I think it is the upgrade so many on this board are claiming it out to be considering what was lost.

The few times I saw Briere (majority of which were playoff games), he did not look slow, but he did look behind the play a bit if that makes sense. I just dread when he makes it into the top 6 and I have a sinking feeling he will for a stretch.

Stuart looked terrible in the 8 or 10 games I saw. Just can't see what Sakic and Roy saw there.

07-04-2014, 02:38 AM
forsbergavs32

O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
Talbot-Winchester-Bordeleau

Hejda-Johnson
Bigras-Barrie
Holden-Stuart

Extras: McLeod, Guenin, Redmond

Varlamov
Berra

-Bigras surprises at camp, makes opening night roster
-Redmond does well at camp, gets 8th D-man spot
-Cliche, Wilson placed in the minors

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 02:42 AM
ThatAvsGamer

vCash: 500
Iginla looked lost on the Penguins because he didn't fit well in their high paced play-style. With Boston, they play a slower play-style and he fit in well. The guy just doesn't have that jump in his step. He may fit in well with the avs. But answer me this, why is it a downgrade from Stastny to Iginla, Iginla is a 30+ goal scoring winger that plays hard, goes in the corners, is good defensibly. That is what this team needs, but why is it that the general opinion around here is that this is a downgrade, not just mine.

Briere may be the faster player than PaP I can't properly tell as I have only watched the Habs in the playoffs and a bit at bars, along with him playing 4th line minutes, I probably am not right in my opinion on this. But what's the difference between the Briere of today and the Briere of 2+ seasons ago, is it his willingness to win, his shot, plyers are just better than him? Perhaps he may still be as good and Therrien just didn't utilize him yet. He's always been a top 6 player and that's how he plays, I personally think he doesn't fit a 3rd line role, much like Hejduk. But perhaps he really wants to win a cup, sees that we just acquired Iginla and comes back next season well rested and trained really hard and returns to a 50+ point pace form or fills the 3rd line role really well. But for real, we got torn to shreds in that trade value wise.

In the Sherman trades, at least I seen some sort of value with the Blues trade at the time. We got EJ, a D, while it wasn't a glaring hole at the time, it was something that we needed and we got a 1st, that I believed to be a top 10 pick probably, a top 5 pick, best case scenario and a top 15 pick worst case scenario, which I thought was decent value, and I was happy about Mcclement too but didn't play too well for us. When the trade first happened i thought we did lose it but only because Stewart was the better player than EJ and that the 1st for Shattenkirk was fair value because I believed that a top 10 pick was worth him, which is where I valued that pick to be around. With the Varly trade I felt we won that one, but felt we could have gotten a better goalie, now I'm glad we got Varly, he's probably better than the goalie I had in mind at the time.

In the trades Sherman was harshly criticized on, he has arguably won and at least at the time their was some value in what we got for return. PaP was injured and always had different linemates throughout the year. He should have easily gotten more or not have been traded at all. I'd see him as a candidate for best comeback player of the year. It would have been well worth it to keep him for the extra year or until free agency to truly test where he is at. I truly believe Habs management had the phone on mute hiding the laughs before asking for the 5th and again after Sakic and Co agreed to it. I still believe the Downie trade was still bad for us and that Downie will be the better player this upcoming season.

The moves that were made are question mark moves this off season. Briere more so than Iginla. at least Iginla has upside, it would have been a better option to have waited to have traded PaP at trade deadline, this in no-way makes our team better for this year. Wasting a year just to trade for a lesser player just to burn his contract to do something offseason makes no sense. PaP is the better player and Briere isn't even proven servicable 3rd liner and isn't a better option for the top 6 either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VUFQfscE1g
Sure he has the headstart on Kessel but he's still got some speed. I know the title is very over the top (i guess) and that Kessel kinda gave up and that Gardiner played that terrible, but it's not like he's slow. He must have just had speed only for that one play though.

As requested, my list of fastest players coming soon.

And when I mean speed I mean someone who can play at a high tempo game. Being able to receive passes on the go really nicely.

Avs team was slower than the Wild, along with out defended and they had better goal-tending. We had Duchene out, and he wasn't really the same when he came back, and is regularly the 2nd fastest player on our team (there's a teaser ), Mitchel and Barrie all of which are fast players (I will not be doing D on my list, sorry, maybe on my before season special ). The wild are a really fast team, they played a faster game than us and the Hawks

ThatAvsGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:23 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

These are the forward lines I prefer:

Landy - Duchene - Mack
Tangs - `ROR - Iginla
McGinn - Mitchell - Talbot
Bordy - Brieire - Winchester

I know Mack and Duchene didn't really work well together last year, but i think its worth another try. Tangs and Iggy MUST play on the same line they worked really well together in Calgary and having tangs feeding ROR and Iggy passes could be dynamite.

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:31 AM
the_fan

I normally don't pay attention to guys on NHL network, but Kelly Chase made a point about the new look Avs that I agree with.

He said with Iginla and the others Avs picked up, they won't run and gun as much as before, and they won't get into as much trouble as before, by giving up tons of shots and quality scoring chances against.

They should play more of a traditional style now, little bit conservative, more cycling in the offensive zone etc.....

They got bigger with Iggy, hope they can start playing little bit like the Kings.

Landeskog, Iginla upfront punishing the d-men.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
These are the forward lines I prefer:

Landy - Duchene - Mack
Tangs - `ROR - Iginla
McGinn - Mitchell - Talbot
Bordy - Brieire - Winchester
The problem with this is that Lando-Duchene has never worked when it has been tried and Duchene-MacK has been a disaster every time it has been tried.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 08:54 AM
the_fan

ROR-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
Bordeleau-Briere-Winchester

I'd go with this lines, maybe switch Briere with Mitchell

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 09:45 AM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

Enough of the even strength stuff, I want to see 2 PP units and 3 forward PK pairs with 2 D PK pairs.

I don't feel our forward lineup has enough, defensively responsible players in the bottom six to kill penalties efficiently. I expect a lot of wasted PK minutes on Landy/O'Reilly, unfortunately.

RoyIsALegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:04 AM
ABasin
Something's wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Enough of the even strength stuff, I want to see 2 PP units and 3 forward PK pairs with 2 D PK pairs.

I don't feel our forward lineup has enough, defensively responsible players in the bottom six to kill penalties efficiently. I expect a lot of wasted PK minutes on Landy/O'Reilly, unfortunately.
I've always shared this concern, but how big of a deal is it really? Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Bergeron, Carter, Marleau, Pavelski, Backes, Steen, etc. All guys who are in the top few of their team's scoring list and their teams PK ice time list (amongst forwards). Some players can do it and excel.

I'd hope that the Avs would go about it like Chicago does - have the pair of guys on the depth lines who spend a lot of their time killing penalties (in this case, Talbot/Winchester), then split the rest of the time out there with a mix of depth and upper line players (in this case, Mitchell, O'R, Landeskog, and someone else).

BTW, Landeskog barely killed penalties last year. And right now is the first time I noticed the difference from his first couple of years.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:09 AM
WornWithPride

Quote:

At their age, I don't see why they can't play 20+ minutes on most nights while killing some penalties. Some coaches have it in their mind that your best players play in all circumstances. Both ROR and Landy are in excellent shape and can handle the extra task, imo. I don't mind seeing them as 1 of 3 pk units. I actually feel more comfortable that way. I also love seeing Mcleod and Talbot out there

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Foppa

What about rolling three scoring lines?

O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-McGinn
Tanguay-Briere-Talbot

Just trying to think a little differently. This line-up does a few things...

- Keeps MacKinnon and Briere at center. MacKinnon because this is his future and the future is now and Briere because by all accounts part of the reason he had a poor season in Montreal is because they had him at wing. It seems Roy is very high on Briere's ability to rebound and be an important piece of the puzzle.

- MacKinnon paired with two physical guys would be an absolute terror to play against. McGinn does the dirty work and could clean up garbage goals while the Captain's defensive drive balances the line and all three play in-your-face physically.

- "French Connection" third line...don't look at the third line as a typical shutdown line. It is meant to add offensive depth. All the lines have defensive elements and in crunch time you can always mix things up and get Landy and O'Reilly on the ice. Briere is kind of a waste surrounded by offensive slugs so you get the potential with him and Tanger to create offense while Talbot would be the defensive conscious of the line. Tanger could still play lots of PP with his buddy Iginla.

Foppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

ROR/Landeskog

Talbot/Winchester

Extras: Mitchell, McLeod

Any defender not named Barrie on the PK at any given time.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:18 AM
WornWithPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
What about rolling three scoring lines?

O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-McGinn
Tanguay-Briere-Talbot
I like the two first lines. Tanguay and even briere imo swaps in back and forth with mcginn. Having a second C (briere) on the second line may benefit Mackinnon
But I can see a scenario where mitchell is not content playing fourth line minutes while talbot is used to doing just that. Instead,

Tanguay - Mitchell - Briere
Mcleod -Winchester - Talbot

Old
07-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Cousin Eddie
AKA Kento

Quote:

You mean Danny Briere wont be a good PK'er?

Honestly I don't mind Landy and ROR killing some penalties as long as guys like Mitchell, Talbot and Mcleod are the ones being relied on most. When Joe Sakic entered the league he was a penalty killling machine. At least that's what I read.
I'm also curious how Winchester will do as a PK'er. I really haven't watched enough of him to know.

Cousin Eddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
I like the two first lines. Tanguay and even briere imo swaps in back and forth with mcginn. Having a second C (briere) on the second line may benefit Mackinnon
But I can see a scenario where mitchell is not content playing fourth line minutes while talbot is used to doing just that. Instead,

Tanguay - Mitchell - Briere
Mcleod -Winchester - Talbot
Yeah I'm not too concerned with hurting Johnny Malkin's feelings. He's grown on me over the years like a fungus but Talbot actually played more even strength and overall minutes last year.

I just think Roy sees Briere as a worthwhile reclamation project and IMO he's not going to flank him by two pluggers - I think he'll be given a good chance to be a secondary scoring option. It's either that or Briere simply has totally lost it at his age and will be relegated to fourth line and mop-up PP spot duty - but that won't be until he proves he can't handle it IMO.

Good point on giving MacKinnon a second face-off guy on his line.

Foppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:54 AM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

A lot of heavy lifting for Landy if he's playing with both MacK and Briere. I don't like it.

RoyIsALegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Avs71

I'd rather see Bordeleau in the lineup over McLeod. If we are going to watch the Avs waste 8 minutes a night, I'd rather see it on the guy who hits more, harder, and is a better fighter. McLeod's 1:30 of PK time can be replaced by others. I just didn't like his game at all last season.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:07 AM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:

RoR - Duchene - Iggy
Holden - Johnson

Lando - MacK - McGinn
Tanguay - Barrie

RoR - Lando
Hedja - Redmond

Mitchell - Talbot
Stuart - Johnson

Tanguay - Wincheter
Holden - Barrie

StayAtHomeAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:09 AM
WornWithPride

Quote:
A lot of heavy lifting for Landy if he's playing with both MacK and Briere. I don't like it.
I don't see much difference in playing with briere or stastny for the heavy lifting. They are both softies imo. Briere may be softer, but it won't make a big difference.
Also, you seem to be underrating Mackinnon on his physicality. I expect a stronger Mack this year, especially since he's mentioned working on his lower body strength.

Old
07-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
I don't see much difference in playing with briere or stastny for the heavy lifting. They are both softies imo. Briere may be softer, but it won't make a big difference.
Also, you seem to be underrating Mackinnon on his physicality. I expect a stronger Mack this year, especially since he's mentioned working on his lower body strength.
Not sure if serious.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:08 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Don't think Roy is going to change his philosophy to not use top guys in the PK. Stastny didn't do it much, PA certainly didn't. Why would anything change much? Talbot, Mitchell, McLeod and Cliche/Winchester are your PK forwards. Hejda, Guenin and I'm sure Stuart will get some time as well.

As for the PP, Roy likes to use intact forward lines so one unit of say Landy-Mack-Iggy with Holden and EJ. The other unit of ROR-Duchene-Tanguay with Briere and Barrie.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Which is kinda crazy since it seemed like he was among the strongest on the team in lower body strength.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
The problem with this is that Lando-Duchene has never worked when it has been tried and Duchene-MacK has been a disaster every time it has been tried.
Most times, but there was a couple times late in the season where all of a sudden they had some really great chemistry together on some random shifts.

I think they both tried to play the speed game early in the season when paired together, and then learned one guy has to back off a bit for it to work.

They wouldn't be my first or second choice for pairings, but I think there's a chance they could work a lot better down the road if Patty needs to load up on a line.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 12:47 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Don't think Roy is going to change his philosophy to not use top guys in the PK. Stastny didn't do it much, PA certainly didn't. Why would anything change much? Talbot, Mitchell, McLeod and Cliche/Winchester are your PK forwards. Hejda, Guenin and I'm sure Stuart will get some time as well.

As for the PP, Roy likes to use intact forward lines so one unit of say Landy-Mack-Iggy with Holden and EJ. The other unit of ROR-Duchene-Tanguay with Briere and Barrie.
Because when we final used our top guys regularly (RoR and Staz mainly) towards the end of the year and the playoffs our PK did a 180.

StayAtHomeAv is offline   Reply With Quote