HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1976 Canada Cup coming to DVD

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Tretiak

vCash: 500

"This product will be in stock on Tuesday 22 November, 2005"

Canada's Juniors Rockin the Worlds DVD
" This product will be in stock on Tuesday 01 November, 2005"

Old
09-10-2005, 08:41 AM
brianscot

For those too young to have watched this live on tv, I have one word of advice: Get it!

From Bobby Orr's last real competitive hurrah; to Bobby Hull being permitted to play (he wasnt permitted in the 72 summit series due to his WHL contract); to Vladimiar Dzurilla and Milan Novy leading the Czech's in the finals, this was a great series.

I believe that no less than 17 hall of famers dotted team Canada's roster.

In many respects its a turning point in hockey history. The top players of the 60's -early 70's --- Orr, B. Hull, P. Esposito slowing down, while players like Lafleur, Sittler, and Perreault picking up the torch.

With the Soviet's having defense and goaltending issues (they gave up more than a goal per game more than the Czech's or Canada) the series also fortells the problems that would surface for them in the 1980 Olympics.

Old
09-10-2005, 12:40 PM
therealdeal

Boy, hockey canada is really cashing in on all the recent victories.

Can't wait to buy them opening day.

Old
09-10-2005, 01:08 PM
wilka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak
"This product will be in stock on Tuesday 22 November, 2005"
Who would want to buy the 1976 Canada Cup? I mean Canada had no opposition that year. The Russians sent that famous B squad and added Tretyak in net.

Old
09-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiajin
Who would want to buy the 1976 Canada Cup? I mean Canada had no opposition that year. The Russians sent that famous B squad and added Tretyak in net.
Chechoslovakia was no slouch either. Besides, It's not well known fact in Canada I suppose so it was not so "famous B squad".

Old
09-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Oil_slick9416*

Send a message via ICQ to Oil_slick9416* Send a message via MSN to Oil_slick9416*
Quote:

russia always sends "B squads" to these tournaments

Old
09-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil_slick9416
He's obviously bitter and he's searching for an excuse but he's right. This was young unexperienced squad without Kharlamov (who was in hospital with two legs broken) and Spartak line (Yakushev, Shadrin, Shalimov). Can't say who else stayed in the USSR.

Last edited by Archijerej: 09-10-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old
09-10-2005, 05:07 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
That's awesome. I hope they put out the rest of the Canada Cups on DVD.

Old
09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Chili

This was a heckuva tournament, the first real 'World Cup'. The Canada Cup trophy itself was awesome (and apparently very heavy).

I especially remember the way Rogie Vachon played. In my opinion, right up there with the best performances in any of these type tournaments I have seen.

Gilbert Perreault was flying in a few games. What a stickhandler!

Borje Salming looked great on Sweden's defence.

My favorite moment of the tournament was the sweater exchange after the final game. I believe it started with Pete Mahovlich and Vladimir Dzurilla.

I'll have to pick it up once available.

Last edited by Chili: 09-11-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old
09-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
Get real! Czechoslovakia was definately superior to Soviets around that time. Check the World Championship results; Soviets basically did have all of their best players both ´76 and ´77 and yet lost. I guess the numerous beatings that Team Czechoslovakia gave to SU (sometimes by scores like 7-2 and 8-3) in the seventies doesn´t convince you, eh? But it really was a pity that Soviets did not have some of their best (namely Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Petrov, Shadrin and Yakushev) in this tournament.

Anyway, this is great news... can´t wait to see some of my all-time faves in action: Vladimir Martinec, Lafleur, Maltsev, Perreault, Savard, Ivan Hlinka etc. And the round robin game between Canada and Czechs (won by latter, 0-1) is supposed to be one of the best international games ever.

Old
09-11-2005, 04:11 AM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
The play of Bobby Orr alone is worth the price of admission. Although it would seem you don't appreciate great hockey unless it's being played by Russians, so don't bother.

Carry on.

Old
09-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Marcus-74

One question; why isn´t the ultra-exciting and competitive ( ) match between Canada and Finland included? I remember the Finnish players saying that they felt like groupies out there. It was like "oooohhh, look, there´s Bobby Orr, and there´s Guy Lafleur, wow!"

But hey, "we" still managed to kick Sweden´s butt in a goal-fest (8-6)

Old
09-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Who would want to buy the 1976 Canada Cup?
Maybe people who weren't around to see those great NHL players? Maybe even people who were around and would like to watch them again.

Old
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
ClassicHockey

The simple answer to that is we could not find the Canada-Finland game anywhere. There are hi-lites of the goals from that game in the DVD set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
One question; why isn´t the ultra-exciting and competitive ( ) match between Canada and Finland included? I remember the Finnish players saying that they felt like groupies out there. It was like "oooohhh, look, there´s Bobby Orr, and there´s Guy Lafleur, wow!"

But hey, "we" still managed to kick Sweden´s butt in a goal-fest (8-6)

Old
09-12-2005, 03:08 PM
c-carp

Cool, thanks for the info. Cant wait to get them

Old
09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
ClassicHockey

I notice that on this site that there are people that post just to take a negative approach to get a rise out of others or that they are so misinformed that they don't know any better.

The top Russian forwards were missing but the entire defence were playing, and of course their top goalie, Tretiak. If the Russians wanted the 'B' team, then why send their best goalie?

The Russians were well aware of the tournament and their competition (especially the stacked Canadian team) and the thinking at the time was that they held back their top line to show that they didn't think the tournament was that important to them (if they lost) At the same time, they sent a pretty good team that had an excellent chance of winning so they were covered both ways.

Another thing is that their top line could have been injured or under some sort of disciplinary action which was common those days in Russia.

All the other teams sent their absolute best and the Czechs were extremely talented. Canada was also missing Brad Park on defence who was then still in his prime.

This was the first tournament that allowed all the countries to ice their very best.

Quote:

Old
09-12-2005, 08:50 PM
ClassicHockey

I was talking to Rogie Vachon last week and told him the series was coming out on DVD and asked him what he thought about playing behind Orr, Potvin, Lapointe, Savard and Robinson. He just laughed and said they made it awfully easy for him.
Canada CUp 1976 was one of his most memorable moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
This was a heckuva tournament, the first real 'World Cup'. The Canada Cup trophy itself was awesome (and apparently very heavy).

I especially remember the way Rogie Vachon played. In my opinion, right up there with the best performances in any of these type tournaments I have seen.

Gilbert Perreault was flying in a few games. What a stickhandler!

Borje Salming looked great on Sweden's defence.

My favorite moment of the tournament was the sweater exchange after the final game. I believe it started with Pete Mahovlich and Vladimir Dzurilla.

I'll have to pick it up once available.

Old
09-12-2005, 09:13 PM
reckoning

Quote:
So using this logic, all of Russias Olympic and World Championships in the 70s and 80s are invalid because Canada didn`t have their best team. In those cases it wasn`t even their "B" team, it was more like their "F" or "G" team.

Old
09-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicHockey

The top Russian forwards were missing but the entire defence were playing, and of course their top goalie, Tretiak. If the Russians wanted the 'B' team, then why send their best goalie?

The Russians were well aware of the tournament and their competition (especially the stacked Canadian team) and the thinking at the time was that they held back their top line to show that they didn't think the tournament was that important to them (if they lost) At the same time, they sent a pretty good team that had an excellent chance of winning so they were covered both ways.

Another thing is that their top line could have been injured or under some sort of disciplinary action which was common those days in Russia.

Sorry, but that sounds like a conspiracy theory IMO. At that time Kharlamov was in hospital and Spartak's line (Yakushev, Shadrin, Shalimov) was in bad form. In that circumstances the soviet staff decided to test their youth and send experienced players like Tretiak to mentor them and keep the team more competitive. Tretiak writes in his autobiography, and I have no reason not to believe him, that expectations in the Soviet Union weren't high and beeing in the top three of the tournament would have been considered as a success. You could always say that he was making excuses post factum ofcourse but that's what he wrote.
I agree that Chechs were very strong and saying that Canada had no competition is not true. But their win against USSR should be taken into perspective.

Old
09-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
The simple answer to that is we could not find the Canada-Finland game anywhere. There are hi-lites of the goals from that game in the DVD set.
Okay. It just would have been a treat to see my awestruck countrymen on the ice with arguably the best team in the world (up to that point IMO).

ClassicHockey, let me be a bit naive for a moment: Is there any chance that Super Series ´75/76 and Challenge Cup ´79 will be released on DVD in the future or do you think that this is it? I know and understand that it isn´t a big business , and NHL and Canadian hockey did not always come out looking great, but it would be a nice thing nevertheless - in the name of "cultural heritage" or whatever...

Last edited by Marcus-74: 09-13-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old
09-13-2005, 05:01 AM
wilka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil_slick9416
No I was serious on that one. I mean I didn't see the 1976 Canada Cup, but I read that the Russian authorities didn't know if that new tournament was "important" at all, so they decided they would send the country's second team, with its second coach, but with the addition of Tretyak and a couple of other players from the 1st team. Very weird decision.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:18 AM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
So using this logic, all of Russias Olympic and World Championships in the 70s and 80s are invalid because Canada didn`t have their best team. In those cases it wasn`t even their "B" team, it was more like their "F" or "G" team.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the way everybody except the Russians see it. 'Invalid' may be a strong word, but certainly tarnished. At least a Roger Maris style asterisk.

Last edited by McGuillicuddy: 09-13-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old
09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I was talking to Rogie Vachon last week and told him the series was coming out on DVD and asked him what he thought about playing behind Orr, Potvin, Lapointe, Savard and Robinson. He just laughed and said they made it awfully easy for him.

Could you imagine? Regardless of where Orr was at that point of his career, that was an amazing assemblage of backline talent.

Old
09-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Could you imagine? Regardless of where Orr was at that point of his career, that was an amazing assemblage of backline talent.
For one or two of the games the sixth defenceman was injured I believe (can't remember who that was, maybe Jim Watson?) and I remember thinking, who cares, with these five you don't need a sixth guy.

Old
09-13-2005, 06:20 PM
ClassicHockey

Those series might be produced on DVD at some point, but because there are NHL clubs involved it becomes more complicated for any production company to produce. The NHL has an agreement with Warner Brothers and they would have to put those series out on DVD. Anything with the NHL involved becomes more complicated.

With the 1976 Canada Cup DVDs, Hockey Canada was involved.

You should see current interviews with Bobby Clarke and Denis Potvin on the DVD set about the series.

There is also an awesome hi-lite film added that has camera angles of goals not usually seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
Okay. It just would have been a treat to see my awestruck countrymen on the ice with arguably the best team in the world (up to that point IMO).

ClassicHockey, let me be a bit naive for a moment: Is there any chance that Super Series ´75/76 and Challenge Cup ´79 will be released on DVD in the future or do you think that this is it? I know and understand that it isn´t a big business , and NHL and Canadian hockey did not always come out looking great, but it would be a nice thing nevertheless - in the name of "cultural heritage" or whatever...

Closed Thread