HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1976 Canada Cup coming to DVD

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2005, 06:24 PM
ClassicHockey

vCash: 500
It was Jim Watson but early in the tournament, Watson got hit with a puck in the face. Canada went with 5 defencemen rather than use Paul Shmyr from the WHA or Carol Vadnais. With all due respect to those players, they would seem out of place.

The 6th defenceman would have been Brad Park and maybe partner him with Orr. We know who the other 4 defencemen were and I don't think such a great defence could be surpassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
For one or two of the games the sixth defenceman was injured I believe (can't remember who that was, maybe Jim Watson?) and I remember thinking, who cares, with these five you don't need a sixth guy.

Old
09-13-2005, 06:28 PM
ClassicHockey

That was the Russians party line at the time but think about it, the Russians would have been pretty stupid if they didn't know that this first Canada Cup was created to have the absolute best on best. I mean, with all the negotiations and press, they
would have had to have been blind and deaf not to know. As usual, with the Russians, they were playing games. They knew how important the series was. They just had another agenda. No way, you can call it a 'B' team if their top goalie and best defence were sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiajin
No I was serious on that one. I mean I didn't see the 1976 Canada Cup, but I read that the Russian authorities didn't know if that new tournament was "important" at all, so they decided they would send the country's second team, with its second coach, but with the addition of Tretyak and a couple of other players from the 1st team. Very weird decision.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiajin
I mean I didn't see the 1976 Canada Cup, but I read that the Russian authorities didn't know if that new tournament was "important" at all, so they decided they would send the country's second team, with its second coach, but with the addition of Tretyak and a couple of other players from the 1st team. Very weird decision.
The Soviets didn't know that the first tournament that allowed every country to bring their best players was important? It was the height of the the Cold War and the Soviets knew they'd likely lose against the first real Canadian all-star team ever assembled and arrived with a built-in alibi.

Old
09-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Big Phil

yeah I dont care what anyone says. That Canada Team of 1976 would have beaten anyone. Look at that rostyer for crying out loud! Almost all of those guys are in their primes!

The Russians were still sending a good team, but the Czechs were no slouches either. Canada '76 IMO would beat any international team of any generation including the '87 Canadians, '87 Russians, '79 Russians and '72 Russians.

Old
09-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
The Russians were still sending a good team, but the Czechs were no slouches either. Canada '76 IMO would beat any international team of any generation including the '87 Canadians, '87 Russians, '79 Russians and '72 Russians.
Hmmm... you didnīt mention the ī81 Russians.

Anyway, I agree on almost all, but Iīm certain that the ī79 Soviet team would have given Team Canada ī76 a good battle, and would have had an excellent chance of winning (in best of three, at least). The Czechs certainly showed that it was possible to beat them (round robin game) and came pretty close in the 2nd final too, and however good the Czechs were in ī76, I think that the ī79 Soviets were better in about every department. And itīs not as if the Canadian roster inī76 differs that much from the NHL All-starsī of the Challenge Cup; you got your Lafleurs, Perreaults, Clarkes, Gaineys, Robinsons, Potvins etc. in that team too (please donīt preach at me about Bobby Orr! ).

But yeah, Team Canada would have won the tournament, no matter who Soviets had sent; Soviet team was not achieving great success around that time even with their best players on the roster (in the World Championships ī76 and ī77 they were 2nd and 3rd, respectively).

Old
09-23-2005, 05:48 AM
RorschachWJK

Excellent! I'll be buying this one for sure.

ClassicHockey: is there any chance of getting the 1981 Canada Cup on DVD in the future?

Edit: Getting Olympic hockey tourneys on DVD would be a dream come true as well.

Last edited by RorschachWJK: 09-23-2005 at 06:01 AM.
Old
09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
ClassicHockey

There is a chance but first there has to be some success with the sales of the 1976 Canada Cup DVD.

The problem with the 1981 Canada Cup is the results. The 1976 DVD set had Bobby Orr as a selling point as well.

The next DVD set may be on the WHA - games, fights etc.

As for the Olympic hockey, any project with Olympic footage has additional rights issues and can me more expensive to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucicaut
Excellent! I'll be buying this one for sure.

ClassicHockey: is there any chance of getting the 1981 Canada Cup on DVD in the future?

Edit: Getting Olympic hockey tourneys on DVD would be a dream come true as well.

Old
09-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicHockey
There is a chance but first there has to be some success with the sales of the 1976 Canada Cup DVD.
YEAH YEAH YEAH! Now every one of you will buy this DVD set, so that the "hits will keep on coming in the future too"!!!! Whoīs with me? Let me see some hands, cīmon!

BUT SERIOUSLY...

All I can do is hope that more classic hockey (especially from the 70s) will come out on dvd. Part of it is the nostalgia bit I guess, but hockey really was more entertaining then (duh!) and the electricity when Canada/NHL team and the Soviets met... boy, nothing compares to it - in hockey or other sports IMO.

Old
09-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
Hmmm... you didnīt mention the ī81 Russians.

Anyway, I agree on almost all, but Iīm certain that the ī79 Soviet team would have given Team Canada ī76 a good battle, and would have had an excellent chance of winning (in best of three, at least). The Czechs certainly showed that it was possible to beat them (round robin game) and came pretty close in the 2nd final too, and however good the Czechs were in ī76, I think that the ī79 Soviets were better in about every department. And itīs not as if the Canadian roster inī76 differs that much from the NHL All-starsī of the Challenge Cup; you got your Lafleurs, Perreaults, Clarkes, Gaineys, Robinsons, Potvins etc. in that team too (please donīt preach at me about Bobby Orr! ).

But yeah, Team Canada would have won the tournament, no matter who Soviets had sent; Soviet team was not achieving great success around that time even with their best players on the roster (in the World Championships ī76 and ī77 they were 2nd and 3rd, respectively).
I'll agree I'd put the '79 or even '81 Soviets as a good match with the '76 Canadians. It would be a good game no doubt and I might even put the '79-'81 Soviets as superior to the '87 Canadians.

But to me the '79 NHL team was a little different than the '76 team. More players were in their prime in '76 and a 38 year old Cheevers in net in '79 in the third game is much worse than Vachon in '76. And although you might hate to hear this, yes Bobby Orr was a big difference. He was gone by '79. That and a soldi player like Hull wasnt on that team either. And Savard and Lapointe werent as good in '79 as in '76. But I'll admit the Soviets of that era are arguably #2 all time.

Old
09-24-2005, 02:05 PM
chooch*

Quote:
I'll agree I'd put the '79 or even '81 Soviets as a good match with the '76 Canadians. It would be a good game no doubt and I might even put the '79-'81 Soviets as superior to the '87 Canadians.

But to me the '79 NHL team was a little different than the '76 team. More players were in their prime in '76 and a 38 year old Cheevers in net in '79 in the third game is much worse than Vachon in '76. And although you might hate to hear this, yes Bobby Orr was a big difference. He was gone by '79. That and a soldi player like Hull wasnt on that team either. And Savard and Lapointe werent as good in '79 as in '76. But I'll admit the Soviets of that era are arguably #2 all time.
Team NHL (remmeber it wasnt just Canada ie Hedberg, Salming) had too many injuries on Defence; Potvin, Lapointe etc; bowman had played 4 dmen in G1 and they just tired by mid G2 ; the Soviets scored the last 8 goals of that series.

The hype was that the NHL woudl finally play the soviets when in mid season shape; the reality was that the tough NHL schedule (as opposed to the Soviets who geared towards the 3 game series) meant injuries.

Old
09-25-2005, 02:36 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:

Iīm sorry, but I just canīt resist to do a little name-dropping myself... Vyacheslav Fetisov - who was arguably their best defenseman already at this point - was sick (or injured) and didnīt play in Challenge Cup (I donīt think Yuri Fedorov would have made the team if he had!) and their top-5 forward Alexander Maltsev had also some sort of injury and wasnīt playing. And the Soviets had lost some of their best (due to injuries) by the time of game 3, namely Valeri Kharlamov and Vladimir Golikov (who had already scored two goals in the series).

What Iīm trying to say that despite missing some of their biggest stars, they were still able to give the NHL All-Stars a good thumping in G3, so the team really had some serious depth, man. I have a so-so copy of it on tape and I guess 2 or 3 goals can be "credited" to Cheevers, but after the beginning of the 2nd period, there was ever going to be a one winner - no matter how well Cheesy had played.

But Iīm not making any serious arguments one way or another, and we can only speculate... it would have been a classic, though.

PS. Geez, do I sound like a hockey nerd or what? Well, I guess this place is a heaven for us...

Last edited by Marcus-74: 09-25-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old
09-25-2005, 07:00 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
Iīm sorry, but I just canīt resist to do a little name-dropping myself... Vyacheslav Fetisov - who was arguably their best defenseman already at this point - was sick (or injured) and didnīt play in Challenge Cup (I donīt think Yuri Fedorov would have made the team if he had!) and their top-5 forward Alexander Maltsev had also some sort of injury and wasnīt playing. And the Soviets had lost some of their best (due to injuries) by the time of game 3, namely Valeri Kharlamov and Vladimir Golikov (who had already scored two goals in the series).

What Iīm trying to say that despite missing some of their biggest stars, they were still able to give the NHL All-Stars a good thumping in G3, so the team really had some serious depth, man. I have a so-so copy of it on tape and I guess 2 or 3 goals can be "credited" to Cheevers, but after the beginning of the 2nd period, there was ever going to be a one winner - no matter how well Cheesy had played.

But Iīm not making any serious arguments one way or another, and we can only speculate... it would have been a classic, though.

PS. Geez, do I sound like a hockey nerd or what? Well, I guess this place is a heaven for us...
You seem to know your Challenge Cup: maybe youre right and the injuries even out on both sides; but still: address the argument that Team NHL came from disparate clubs thrown hastily in teh middle of the NHl season together whereas the Soviets had played together as a team for years.

ie Do you think the National Soviets team could have beat the top NHL team (Habs) in a 3 or 7 game series or a Team NHl playing together for years?

Old
09-26-2005, 04:20 AM
Marcus-74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
You seem to know your Challenge Cup: maybe youre right and the injuries even out on both sides; but still: address the argument that Team NHL came from disparate clubs thrown hastily in teh middle of the NHl season together whereas the Soviets had played together as a team for years.

ie Do you think the National Soviets team could have beat the top NHL team (Habs) in a 3 or 7 game series or a Team NHl playing together for years?
But guys like Lafleur and Shutt, Clarke and Barber, Sittler and Mcdonald, Hedberg and Nilsson and the whole Trio Grande played on the same line both on their NHL teams and in Challenge Cup, didnīt they?. Do you think that they suddenly had no chemistry at all? Or did that "third guy" (on the line) spoil everything? Of course, for the third game Bowman mixed up the lines (except the Islandersī) and it was not maybe a great move... but I guess he had to do something.

Well, there was of course numerous exhibition games between Soviets and NHL teams in the ī70s and ī80s, and based on those games... no, I donīt think the mid-70s Red Army or even the National team would have beaten Montreal (unless Dryden was his usual shaky self [against the Russians] ), but the later ones could have beaten the top NHL team for sure. Actually, Red Army holds a victory over Edmonton Oilers (6-3?) and I think the game was played in the ī85-86 season. But then again, from what Iīve heard, NHL teams did not usually take those games as seriously any more as in the ī70s (ie. they did not often have all their top players).

But WHO KNOWS, really? Iīm not a clairvoyant and donīt like to pretend to be one, so letīs leave it at that, ok?

Last edited by Marcus-74: 09-26-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old
09-26-2005, 01:21 PM
svetovy poharu

Marcus, you are correct on the NHL line combinations. Since the NHL units would lack the cohesion of the Soviet lines, Scotty Bowman had at least two players from the same team on most combinations in order to smooth out a few of the bumps.

Plus Bowman explained: "The key in a short series like this is total flexibility. The more line variations you have to draw on, the better off you are." Accordingly, he unveiled all sorts of surprises and experiments. For example, centre Gilbert Perreault skated on left wing with Leafs' Darryl Sittler and Lanny McDonald.

There was a defensive unit, with Bobby Clarke centering for Bob Gainey and Don Marcotte. Bill Barber, a tough checker, was on the left flank with Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson. Bowman even considered tinkering (but didn't) with his two best attacking units: Clark Gillies, Bryan Trottier and Mike Bossy of the NY Islanders and Marcel Dionne between Steve Shutt and Guy Lafleur. But Bowman said: "In Game One, I've got to start Shutt, Clarke and Lafleur because they were chosen by the fans' vote. But then I can change up the lines after that. And the possibilities are unlimited."

The NHL line combos used in Game 1 were primarily: (14 forwards, 4 defenceman)
Shutt/Dionne/Lafleur
Gillies/Trottier/Bossy
Gainey/Clarke/Barber
Perreault/Nilsson/Hedberg
Perreault/Sittler/McDonald
Defensive pairings were Robinson/Salming and Savard/Beck

Game 2 lines were: (12 forwards, 6 defencemen)
Shutt/Dionne/Lafleur
Gainey/Clarke/Barber
Gillies/Trottier/Bossy
Sittler/Perreault/McDonald
Defence pairs: Robinson/Salming, Savard/Beck, Potvin/Lapointe

Game 3 lines were: (13 forwards, 5 defencemen)
Sittler/Clarke/McDonald
Gainey/Perreault/Lafleur
Gillies/Trottier/Bossy
Marcotte/Nilsson/Hedberg
Barber/Nilsson/Hedberg
Defence pairs: Robinson/Salming, Savard/Beck, Savard/Potvin

Old
09-26-2005, 01:50 PM
svetovy poharu

The '79 Soviet Challenge Cup team, as you mentioned, was without two of its key defenceman Viacheslav Fetisov and Vladimir Lutchenko due to injuries. Also missing from the Soviet defence was injured backliner Alexander Gusev. Their top veteran winger Alexander Maltsev didn't make the trip because of a broken arm.

Fetisov's replacement on defence was Sergei Babinov, a player the Soviet nationals dropped from their roster 2 years earlier. Lutchenko was the Soviets' best long-range shooter until Fetisov came along. Valeri Vasiliev filled in for Lutchenko's spot.

Old
10-02-2005, 03:18 PM
LannysStach
Thou shall

THANKS Mr. classichockeyperson!

holy dingle-doodle!

SO lookin forward to THIS! got the '72 series a long time ago and am savoring it slowly, going thru each game one at a time. i hope you've designed it such that a person can put in the disk and play a game without seeing the final score before the game, or players talking about how they won or lost.

thanks for the insider's clairifications. i saw and taped part of the games off nhl network earlier this year and it was great! lafleur! orr! no helmets!

Old
10-03-2005, 09:04 PM
ClassicHockey

You should be able to pick and choose by the menu system. There is supposed to be a stats pack with scores, summaries and player bios as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach
THANKS Mr. classichockeyperson!

holy dingle-doodle!

SO lookin forward to THIS! got the '72 series a long time ago and am savoring it slowly, going thru each game one at a time. i hope you've designed it such that a person can put in the disk and play a game without seeing the final score before the game, or players talking about how they won or lost.

thanks for the insider's clairifications. i saw and taped part of the games off nhl network earlier this year and it was great! lafleur! orr! no helmets!

Old
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I definitely will be buying the DVD. That was one of the great hockey series of all time. 1972 and 1987 get most of the fame because of the tramtics but I still say 1976 Team Canada was the best ever Team Canada there was

Old
11-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Tretiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak
1976 Canada Cup coming to DVD
"This product will be in stock on Tuesday 22 November, 2005"

Canada's Juniors Rockin the Worlds DVD
" This product will be in stock on Tuesday 01 November, 2005"
Just to update you guys, the "Canada's Juniors Rockin the Worlds DVD" has been canceled due to Hockey Canada changing the agreement regarding the set. I have spoken with the distributor and they said they may try again sometime next year.

Old
11-14-2005, 12:49 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak
Just to update you guys, the "Canada's Juniors Rockin the Worlds DVD" has been canceled due to Hockey Canada changing the agreement regarding the set. I have spoken with the distributor and they said they may try again sometime next year.
It also appears that Canada Cup 76' has been pushed back to December 6th.

Old
11-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Tretiak

Here's a quicktime video promo for the set:

http://www.sportonvideo.com/images/CC1976MusicVideo.mov

Old
11-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Marcus-74

I just sent the order Friday and the package should arrive well before X-mas, YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!
Iīm especially looking forward to seeing the Czechoslovakia games and the highlight film of the tournament. Finally gonna see my favorite player of all-time (= the Czech Vladimir Martinec) in action, and full games with Bobby Orr in them (have only seen some highlight clips of him until now, Iīm ashamed to say). And itīs always fun to look at those Soviet super skaters like Balderis, Kapustin and Maltsev.

Of course it does suck a bit that the Soviets didnīt have all their best forwards in the tournament, but this is still THE Canada Cup for me, nevertheless!

Last edited by Marcus-74: 11-27-2005 at 03:30 AM.
Closed Thread