HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Visiting Denver

Old
09-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Bubba Thudd
#WorkWithUs

vCash: 500
On the burner, eh?

Old
09-10-2014, 12:03 AM
HatchtrickBateman

Will be in Denver on jan 10th for the stars avs game. I've been to two other nhl games, one in dallas and one in St. Louis. St. Louis was a disaster for a couple visiting fans, not me though. I'm fine with heckling, but most was flat out disgusting. Many obscenities thrown at visiting fans. Was curious as to how visiting fans are generally treated at avs games. I'm aware every fan base has it's bad apples, but curious nonetheless. No, I'm not one of those overly obnoxious visiting fans who taunts or anything near that. Always pretty respectful .
Cheers

HatchtrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 12:20 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

You should be fine, I've never seen anything overly viscous to opposing fans. And like you said, some people ask for it with their behavior but just cheering your team on and not trying to cause a scene is fine.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 01:14 AM
BrickAHL
Terry Balboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
Will be in Denver on jan 10th for the stars avs game. I've been to two other nhl games, one in dallas and one in St. Louis. St. Louis was a disaster for a couple visiting fans, not me though. I'm fine with heckling, but most was flat out disgusting. Many obscenities thrown at visiting fans. Was curious as to how visiting fans are generally treated at avs games. I'm aware every fan base has it's bad apples, but curious nonetheless. No, I'm not one of those overly obnoxious visiting fans who taunts or anything near that. Always pretty respectful .
Cheers
Blues fans are a joke.

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 01:20 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Only away game Ive ever been to was in St Louis. I don't remember the game exactly but it was October of 07 and the Avs lost. I never heard one word of heckling until after the game I'm standing alone on the corner waiting for my husband to pick me up and all these guys kept coming up to me and getting in my face, it was terrible.

Old
09-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Sheet

I normally stay at the Ramada in longmont when i'm looking for something on the cheap for a denver trip, but that's not walking distance really.

I haven't lived there in a year now but IIRC there's not much really near the pepsi center.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 06:49 AM
Cousin Eddie
You Serious Clark?

I planned on taking the cheap way out by staying at the Ramada in Downtown Denver but after reading reviews on trip advisor i've changed my mind. Sounds like a rough spot in an even worse neighborhood.

Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
Cheers
That sucks man. As someone who travels to watch games in other cities, I just think that's rediculous. You love your team and the NHL enough to not only buy tickets but to fly to other cities (and to spend money on Denver tourism by the way). For any fan to berate others that have travelled - it's just unacceptable in my opinion.

What really hacks me off was my buddy went to the Super Bowl last year and watched the Broncos just get blasted by the Seahawks. It wasn't enough that he spent over $1000 on the ticket to watch that game, or that he probably spent another $1-$2K in New York because of how much everything costs there. They had to get in his face and treat him like crap. Just completely classless. Some people have no clue.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
On the burner, eh?
What? <looks around> No reason not to take advantage of laws and ease the tax burden on the locals, right?

I'm used to getting heckled, I'm an Isles fan. Usually wear my jersey in the opposing teams arena mostly b/c it makes for a more entertaining night. Most times I end up getting a couple of comments thrown at me and we end up talking hockey. That's the way its SUPPOSED to work.

Went to Heritage Hockey Classic back in 03 -- THAT was fun.

Went to Isles/Ducks SCF game 7, wearing my Isles jersey no less.. LOL..

Can anyone recommend a good sushi spot near the arena?

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

Can anyone recommend a good sushi spot near the arena?
Aoba Sushi, Sushi Sasa, or Hapa Sushi...probably in that order....Hapa/Aoba are going to be the closest to the arena

Old
09-10-2014, 09:14 AM
hockeyfish

Unfortunately, denver is a bit of a migrant city in that we have a ton of non-native residents who still root for their old teams, so we have a unusually hugh number of opposing fans at just about every game. You almost never see any real issue because of that.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
I planned on taking the cheap way out by staying at the Ramada in Downtown Denver but after reading reviews on trip advisor i've changed my mind. Sounds like a rough spot in an even worse neighborhood.
I don't know where a lot of hotels are so I had to look that up. Was it down on Colfax? That's not even really close to the area you want to be. Check out the Warwick hotel, someone else here got a good deal there and I've stayed there it's really nice. Otherwise I think there's like a Hampton Inn close to the Pepsi Center. Union Station just reopened, I think there is a hotel there now too and would be a great location.

Old
09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I don't know where a lot of hotels are so I had to look that up. Was it down on Colfax? That's not even really close to the area you want to be. Check out the Warwick hotel, someone else here got a good deal there and I've stayed there it's really nice. Otherwise I think there's like a Hampton Inn close to the Pepsi Center. Union Station just reopened, I think there is a hotel there now too and would be a great location.
Yeah, the Crawford hotel. Really cool, but I'm guessing quite expensive. Speaking of which, if you do have time, for sure check out the new union station. They really did an awesome job renovating it. Also has some killer restaurant options too.

Old
09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Bonzai12

This hotel is literally across the street from pepsi center and it's brand new

http://www.springhillsuitesdenver.com/

Old
09-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

I have heard that you cannot enjoy 420 in the places that you are able to buy - strictly a purchase and out the door operation.

I have heard that some bars/cafes have cropped up when you can enjoy your purchase in a social setting? Is this true?

Old
09-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Cousin Eddie
You Serious Clark?

Quote:
Yup, that's the one!

I looked into Warwick but it's over $300 a night which is out of my budget following a week in Vegas

Old
09-10-2014, 12:18 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Oh yeah I don't blame you. Maybe one of those chains by the Pepsi Center are better.

Old
09-10-2014, 12:37 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
I have heard that you cannot enjoy 420 in the places that you are able to buy - strictly a purchase and out the door operation.

I have heard that some bars/cafes have cropped up when you can enjoy your purchase in a social setting? Is this true?
I don't think so, but it's not my scene, so I'm no expert at all. Keep in mind Denver has a pretty strict smoking ban in public places.

Old
09-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Landeslog

Quote:

It's rumored to be in the works but nothing opened yet. You cannot smoke it in any public places.

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
It's rumored to be in the works but nothing opened yet. You cannot smoke it in any public places.
Understood. My vaporizer is extremely stealthy!

Old
09-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Cousin Eddie
You Serious Clark?

Can anybody tell me anything about Hotel VQ in downtown Denver. It's rated fairly decent but i'm wondering if some locals can chime in on the location and possibly the quality. I don't want to have to fear of dealing with shady people in the neighbourhood.

Old
09-11-2014, 10:35 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I've never stayed, don't know anyone who has but I think it's fine. Right next to the football stadium. I know you'll have a car but there is literally nothing over there. I'm not even sure if you could walk to a restaurant. Of course crossing the interstate and going into downtown would take like 5 minutes though. But no, it's not shady over there so you don't have to worry about that. And looking at the map, I wouldn't walk to Federal blvd. that, Colfax and north downtown (above 20th street) are the main areas to avoid, otherwise the city is safe and feels safe to walk around.

Old
09-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Cousin Eddie
You Serious Clark?

Quote:
I've never stayed, don't know anyone who has but I think it's fine. Right next to the football stadium. I know you'll have a car but there is literally nothing over there. I'm not even sure if you could walk to a restaurant. Of course crossing the interstate and going into downtown would take like 5 minutes though. But no, it's not shady over there so you don't have to worry about that. And looking at the map, I wouldn't walk to Federal blvd. that, Colfax and north downtown (above 20th street) are the main areas to avoid, otherwise the city is safe and feels safe to walk around.
Awesome thanks! I'm going to book the trip over the next few days. I've just been trying to arrange the cheapest way to do it but I think i'm going to fly into Denver on the 10th, Catch the game on the 11th and then hit the road to Vegas the following morning.

Old
09-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Cousin Eddie
You Serious Clark?

Finally booked my trip!!! I fly in early on the 10th and hit the road on the 12th. Now I need to get some tickets. Is stubhub the best place to go for tickets up close? Altitude tickets have nothing left in the lower bowl and I refuse to go on a $3000 trip and not sit up close for my first ever NHL game

Has anybody ever used flash seats before? Seems like a good way to get tickets but I don't really trust technology and would be scared if something went wrong with my phone.

Old
09-12-2014, 12:14 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Well, this is probably the one game a year when tickets are going to be outrageous. Usually stub hub could get you tickets under face but the secondary market on this game is inflated. You could wait until last minute to see if they come down, and they probably will but the demand on this game has been set so I don't think the market is just going to crash.

Flash seats works great and it is the "official" secondary market so you are not going to get ripped off. You sign up with an account and either use the ap to get in the game or swipe your ID or credit card. I've looked at the tickets for this game there and they aren't any cheaper than stub hub.

Looking at stub hub, the prices on the "prime loge center" are not all that bad. It's the best section but priced pretty close to the rest of the lower bowl. For example there are two tix for $150 each in row 11, which look like the best value to me. The face price in these tix are at least $100.

Last edited by tigervixxxen: 09-12-2014 at 12:25 PM.