HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be happier without Bolland?

View Poll Results: Would you be happier with UFA period if Tallon had not signed Bolland?
YES.... Bolland will not help enough damage from terrible contract. 32 40.00%
NO.... No worries. The team has plenty of cap space. Bolland will help. 48 60.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post
Wow I was not aware that Bolland has played only against Crosby his entire career in the defensive zone which explains all his poor numbers in every conceivable stat except heart and hustle throughout his career. Getting paid over 5 million for this player is just plain dumb and Tallon targeting him after not learning his lesson from another heart hustle winner with poor stats who makes 3 million (Kopecky) is alarming.

Bolland does not pass the eye test or the stats test and he was a poor signing and you sir sound like an apologist with the excuses.
Interesting article, until it also bashes the Thornton, MacKenzie, and (especially) the Mitchell signings. Nullified everything else. Shows he came in negative at every turn, someone looking for all positives would paint a different picture entirely. The truth is in between.

Not a good signing as it's too long and expensive, Tallon sees his value and signed him.

We're a better team than last season, I'm interested to see how Jokinen and Barkov's chemistry continues in this team, but I don't think we're a playoff team yet, unless the kids really step up.

If he's an apologist making excuses, nice btw, you're unrelenting bashing at every turn.

07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
RainingRats

It's a wasteful signing by a guy with a weird obsession with former players of his. Tallon is crazy paying him this much and for this term. He's arguably a slight upgrade over Marcel Goc who signed for one year and 1.2 million.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:19 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
A lot of you are underestimating what Bolland brings to this team.

He is not just a "3rd line center". He will play against the best lines the opposition can throw at us. He's tough, gritty, good offensively, can be trusted in the faceoff circle and is a proven winner.

Sure $5.5 million is a bit high but to compare him to Trocheck isn't just unfair, it's plain wrong. Bolland has a ton of experience, something that most guys on our roster seriously lack.

Edit - also, what if Barkov or Bjugstad goes down with an injury? You want Trocheck in our top 6? Or Drew Shore? I love those two but no way are they ready for that role. Bolland is extremely versatile on the ice and deserves a ton more credit than he is getting here.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
It's a wasteful signing by a guy with a weird obsession with former players of his. Tallon is crazy paying him this much and for this term. He's arguably a slight upgrade over Marcel Goc who signed for one year and 1.2 million.
He's a huge upgrade over Marcel Goc. Not $4.3 million huge, but a far better player either way.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:28 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Yes. Hell yes to be exact. Interesting read below for all the kool-aid drinkers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ts-free-agency
This is one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. Holy **** where do you people find this crap?

Does this guy watch hockey or just read stats? He criticizes the Bolland deal minutes after somehow PRAISING a deal for Anton Stralman, a guy who could barely crack Leafs and Jackets lineups when they were some of the worst teams in th league. Also somehow manages to say a good thing about Pouliot's contract?!? Hahahhhaa if you told me Pouliot would get north of 4 million 4 years ago I would've passed out from laughter.

This guy is a ****ing moron and does not understand a single thing about the business of hockey. As if Florida would get Richards for $2 million. It doesn't work like that. What an idiot.

Bolland contract is high but sometimes you have to pay to win.

I'd love to see how this writer expected Florida to even sniff the cap floor without making these signings.

Seriously, don't post stupid ass **** like this. It's beyond stupid and makes us look even worse for believing this jibberish.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:37 AM
homegrizown

i like bolland but the contract is crazy, him asking for 5 mil was crazy and we surpassed that.

in the end legwand is still out there and i think at this point he could have been signed for like 2 years 8 mil. it might have been an overpay but it's only 2 years. the length hurts even more with bollland. i love Tallon but i feel like him coming out and saying bolland wanted a 6 or 7 year deal was him trying to get out of a hey it could of been worse situation.

i don't want to rush so many young guys at once. but i think signing a guy to a 5 year deal is beyond crazy. what i'm seeing at this point is. hey in two year mackenzie will be gone bolland moves to 4th line role like mike richards when trochek or shore take his spot...

bolland 5.5 as a 4th liner. in two years kill me.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam

No.

It's only a matter of time before all the haters start loving him this season anyway. Of course people will bash a player they don't know. The only argument that anyone has about Bolland is that he's a former Blackhawk, or his contract is too much. If that's all you got don't bother commenting until you actually watch him play.

Don't be shocked to see Bolland named our next Captain, if not, he will be wearing the A to start.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Dr Beinfest

I'm a no. Not a fan of the type of injury he's coming off of. Don't think his game will be the same.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 02:16 PM
klabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bjugs View Post
The only argument that anyone has about Bolland is that he's a former Blackhawk, or his contract is too much.
Or that he's often injured.

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 02:20 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

As I just stated in the Lecavalier or Bolland thread, I would have rather not have signed him and wish Tallon would have gone with other options. I've been quite aggravated with the signing since it happened and it has overshadowed most of the other signings in my mind and what I think of them. I'm hoping he proves his signing somewhat to us and doesn't make us think of him as another buyout in a year or two. I overall trust Tallon as he has dealt with Bolland before, but it makes me scratch my head still. There has to be something Dale sees in him that most of us don't know about yet.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 02:22 PM
gizmo12688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
I'm a no. Not a fan of the type of injury he's coming off of. Don't think his game will be the same.
I think that actually makes you a Yes

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
kelsier

It's a yes which means no. Not a deal like this. Not even if it brings temporary ease on the middle. Guess being in a losing culture has an effect of where one is forced to find whatever positive aspects there are in an event no matter how negative it is. From a player's perspective in a contract negotiation they will use this contract as a base of which what they should earn instead of what their value actually is. Now this will take Panthers into a tight pressure to succeed next season and a failure would bring significant consequenses. If you had to pay +1-2 mil extra to sign a player now, it'll be even more next time around.

Not even bothering to bring Shore into the context as it's already been dealt with. Tallon was extremely short-sighted with this. Throwing all-in on a table in poker isn't the way to go when the opponent has far less to lose.

kelsier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:02 PM
KW

There may be another angle at work here. If we can accept that FLA is not the sought after destination in the NHL -- for example the panthers probably weren't in the stastny sweepstakes at all this year, nor in the parise sweepstakes last year -- then we'd also have to accept that changing that status requires something out of the ordinary.

For LA it was Gretzky. He changed how the league looked at that franchise. Tallon is building the team from the draft here, but he'll also need to attract FA's. How do you do that? By proving there's a commitment to building a winning culture and not a bure showboating franchise. How do you do that? Initially, with money.

Thus overpaying for third line centers sends a signal that when Toews or Kane or Getzlaf are available, FLA could now be in the sweepstakes. Building up a reputation doesn't happen instantly, nor is it cheap.

I think underneath this whole deal is something more than a simple overpayment.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
i like bolland but the contract is crazy, him asking for 5 mil was crazy and we surpassed that.

in the end legwand is still out there and i think at this point he could have been signed for like 2 years 8 mil. it might have been an overpay but it's only 2 years. the length hurts even more with bollland. i love Tallon but i feel like him coming out and saying bolland wanted a 6 or 7 year deal was him trying to get out of a hey it could of been worse situation.

i don't want to rush so many young guys at once. but i think signing a guy to a 5 year deal is beyond crazy. what i'm seeing at this point is. hey in two year mackenzie will be gone bolland moves to 4th line role like mike richards when trochek or shore take his spot...

Tallon said four-year contracts were ideal with five-years at most, so he cut the years on Bolland with more money. Or else it could have been something like $4 or $4.5 million for seven years.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:30 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

I feel that there is one thing that is more important to attracting free agents than just a commitment to spending and that is the overall credibility of the team. Let's face it our teams credibility is at an all time low after finishing 29th and 30th the last 2 years. Proving that you are willing to spend to bring in free agents does help our credibility but proving it by giving a ridiculous contract to a oft injured 3c who has never scored over 50 points in a season when there are better options available does nothing but hurt our credibility as shown by the numerous laughs had by fans of other teams. If Tallon really wanted a veteran shutdown center who can slide into any roll from top 6 point producer to shutdown 3c while showing the kids the right way to play then Legwand was our guy. If he was willing to sign with a non-competitor on the downswing such as Ottawa for little over half the aav that we gave Bolland then he definitely would have signed with a team on the upswing such the panthers. Unless someone can give me a serious argument as to why Bolland is a better option for 5 years than Legwand is for 2-3 i refuse to accept that he was the right guy for this team.

TheCupNeedsATan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
I feel that there is one thing that is more important to attracting free agents than just a commitment to spending and that is the overall credibility of the team. Let's face it our teams credibility is at an all time low after finishing 29th and 30th the last 2 years. Proving that you are willing to spend to bring in free agents does help our credibility but proving it by giving a ridiculous contract to a oft injured 3c who has never scored over 50 points in a season when there are better options available does nothing but hurt our credibility as shown by the numerous laughs had by fans of other teams. If Tallon really wanted a veteran shutdown center who can slide into any roll from top 6 point producer to shutdown 3c while showing the kids the right way to play then Legwand was our guy. If he was willing to sign with a non-competitor on the downswing such as Ottawa for little over half the aav that we gave Bolland then he definitely would have signed with a team on the upswing such the panthers. Unless someone can give me a serious argument as to why Bolland is a better option for 5 years than Legwand is for 2-3 i refuse to accept that he was the right guy for this team.
Legwand is 34 years old and there's no guarantee he accomplishes any more than Bolland in the next 2 years. Offensively, if Bolland is healthy, he'll score (at worst) around the same pace, if not more than Legwand (going to start regressing). I mean, if you want to save 2.5 in cap space for a short-term quick fix, then by all means, that's your prerogative.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:51 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Legwand is 34 years old and there's no guarantee he accomplishes any more than Bolland in the next 2 years. Offensively, if Bolland is healthy, he'll score (at worst) around the same pace, if not more than Legwand (going to start regressing). I mean, if you want to save 2.5 in cap space for a short-term quick fix, then by all means, that's your prerogative.
And where do you get this magic idea from? Yes Legwand is older but he's still averaged around 50 points a year for the past 3 years (25 in the short year) Bolland has only scored more than 40 points once in his entire career and that was 5 years ago. Legwand is also better both in the circle and in his own end.

Last edited by TheCupNeedsATan: 07-04-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: accidentally a word
Old
07-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
And where do you get this magic idea from? Yes Legwand is older but he's still averaged around 50 points a year for the past 3 years (25 in the short year) Bolland has only scored more than 40 points once in his entire career and that was 5 years ago. Legwand is also better both in the circle and in his own end.
All I'm saying is to give Bolland a chance. He hasn't even played a game for us yet and he's being crucified. Legwand is 6 years older. I'm sick of bringing old guys in for a year and two and then watching them get bought out or retire. Bolland is supposed to be a key player for us for the next 5 years..give him an opportunity to prove it.

There also has to be a reason why Legwand signed 4 days into free agency and to a team that was desperate for a C after Spezza bailed.

Old
07-04-2014, 04:29 PM
jrockett1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
All I'm saying is to give Bolland a chance. He hasn't even played a game for us yet and he's being crucified. Legwand is 6 years older. I'm sick of bringing old guys in for a year and two and then watching them get bought out or retire. Bolland is supposed to be a key player for us for the next 5 years..give him an opportunity to prove it.

There also has to be a reason why Legwand signed 4 days into free agency and to a team that was desperate for a C after Spezza bailed.
Spezza was traded and didn't bail. He had 1 year left in his contract and Ottawa tried to get what they could because he was not going resign there. Smartly they didn't sign Bolland needing a center to a big deal at those years because he is NOT WORTH IT. Yet you chastise them because they didn't get suckered in with florida and toronto for his services at that price on the first day. Only Toronto and Florida was dumb enough to drive his price that high and if I was a Ottawa fan I would say that was a great move by the GM to get Legwand.

Legwand is older but he had his best year in years, has no injury ifs and buts and his stats offensively, defensively, faceoff % corsi, etc show he's a just a better player hands down. There is also no basis to think Legwand does not have 2 years left but incidentally I DO have a lot of history to back up my claim that Bolland will not finish out his contract in one piece.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Spezza requested a trade. Several times. Again, you think you know, but you don't.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
Quote:
Spezza was traded and didn't bail. He had 1 year left in his contract and Ottawa tried to get what they could because he was not going resign there. Smartly they didn't sign Bolland needing a center to a big deal at those years because he is NOT WORTH IT. Yet you chastise them because they didn't get suckered in with florida and toronto for his services at that price on the first day. Only Toronto and Florida was dumb enough to drive his price that high and if I was a Ottawa fan I would say that was a great move by the GM to get Legwand.

Legwand is older but he had his best year in years, has no injury ifs and buts and his stats offensively, defensively, faceoff % corsi, etc show he's a just a better player hands down. There is also no basis to think Legwand does not have 2 years left but incidentally I DO have a lot of history to back up my claim that Bolland will not finish out his contract in one piece.

He's the reason why the Sens aren't spending, not their management.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 05:05 PM
jrockett1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Spezza requested a trade. Several times. Again, you think you know, but you don't.
Yes I know that. Point is he was traded and was shopped between 2 teams and Ottawa got the best deal they could in a difficult spot.

You have anything to say about my other points regarding who was the better player to sign? Legwand vs Bolland?

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Yes I know that. Point is he was traded and was shopped between 2 teams and Ottawa got the best deal they could in a difficult spot.

You have anything to say about my other points regarding who was the better player to sign? Legwand vs Bolland?
Nope. He's not a Panther, good luck to him in Ottawa. Two teams with different needs. Doubt Legwand was on Tallon's radar, for several reasons, why discuss it? He's also 5 years older.

And you said he didn't bail, asking for a trade most would agree is bailing.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 06:00 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Nope. He's not a Panther, good luck to him in Ottawa. Two teams with different needs. Doubt Legwand was on Tallon's radar, for several reasons, why discuss it? He's also 5 years older.

And you said he didn't bail, asking for a trade most would agree is bailing.
Who cares if he is 5 years older if he is still producing more at 33 than Bolland has at any point in his career. The one big argument that people have made for Bolland is that he can play the defensive game against other teams top lines, but Legwand is streets ahead of Bolland defensively. If he wasn't on Tallons radar that is a problem with Tallon not with Legwand.

Old
07-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post

Bolland asked the Leafs for 8 years x 5M. That's a fact.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote