HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be happier without Bolland?

View Poll Results: Would you be happier with UFA period if Tallon had not signed Bolland?
YES.... Bolland will not help enough damage from terrible contract. 32 40.00%
NO.... No worries. The team has plenty of cap space. Bolland will help. 48 60.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCupNeedsATan View Post
Who cares if he is 5 years older if he is still producing more at 33 than Bolland has at any point in his career. The one big argument that people have made for Bolland is that he can play the defensive game against other teams top lines, but Legwand is streets ahead of Bolland defensively. If he wasn't on Tallons radar that is a problem with Tallon not with Legwand.
Was matching terms of the deal.

He wanted Bolland. Maybe he contacted Legwand and Legwand wasn't injured?

Love how that means there's a problem with Tallon now. The reactions on here are dumb. It's like people forget we're the Panthers.

07-04-2014, 05:27 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Was matching terms of the deal.

He wanted Bolland. Maybe he contacted Legwand and Legwand wasn't injured?

Love how that means there's a problem with Tallon now. The reactions on here are dumb. It's like people forget we're the Panthers.
Its not like Legwand went to a competitor if anything the panthers are closer to being competitors right now than Ottawa is.

Yes if you are going to pass up on the better player just because you want to bring your old buddies along it is a problem. If Tallon wasn't so attached to his old Chicago buddies he would probably be one of the best GMs in the league.

TheCupNeedsATan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Its not like Legwand went to a competitor if anything the panthers are closer to being competitors right now than Ottawa is.

Yes if you are going to pass up on the better player just because you want to bring your old buddies along it is a problem. If Tallon wasn't so attached to his old Chicago buddies he would probably be one of the best GMs in the league.
He could have brought in Havlat.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 06:05 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I May Be Wrong View Post
He could have brought in Havlat.
Most of our team is made of middle 6 wingers we don't need to add another one to the list-let alone one as injury prone as havlat

Old
07-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Most of our team is made of middle 6 wingers we don't need to add another one to the list-let alone one as injury prone as havlat
Which is why Tallon didn't sign him. Chicago connection be damned.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I think that actually makes you a Yes
It's a no Bolland, like the thread title. The poll question, for some reason, is inverted.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 12:03 AM
vendetta
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
And where do you get this magic idea from? Yes Legwand is older but he's still averaged around 50 points a year for the past 3 years (25 in the short year) Bolland has only scored more than 40 points once in his entire career and that was 5 years ago. Legwand is also better both in the circle and in his own end.
They r completely different players... U keep looking at your stats bud that's all u got... Also who knows if legwand wanted to come to Florida so this convo is irrelevant...it's comparing apples to oranges

vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
I'll let you know in March....

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:00 AM
BigNickBjugstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
They r completely different players... U keep looking at your stats bud that's all u got... Also who knows if legwand wanted to come to Florida so this convo is irrelevant...it's comparing apples to oranges
Good point.

Its not like a GM goes to a supermarket and picks players up.

Its a two way thing.

BigNickBjugstad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:56 AM
TheCupNeedsATan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickBjugstad View Post
Good point.

Its not like a GM goes to a supermarket and picks players up.

Its a two way thing.
yes but if he is signing with an arguably worse team than us for less money than we could offer then there is no reason to believe he wouldnt come here for slightly more money..... just like Michtell did.

Old
07-05-2014, 12:59 PM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson44 View Post
Honestly, the bashing of this signing has gone too far. Some people are upset that he is taking Shore's spot. Really? Is it more important to ice inexperienced youngsters just for the hell of it, or to assemble the roster that can compete the best? If Shore is better, then Im sure they will find a way to give him ice time, but right now Bolland is what we need for our 3rd line! Experience and know-how.

Contract too long and expensive? Well, yeah it is expensive. So what? Does anybody really believe that a club that loses millions of dollars per year will spend as much money as the can to reach the upper cap limit overnight? No! First, they will need to ice a competetive and better team that can qualify for the playoffs in order to attract more fans, which would lead to more money coming in to the team.That's when we possibly might see owners spend closer to the cap to attract stars and make the team take the next step up to become an actual contender.
We are far away from those days.

Bolland will be 33 when the deal expires. Lecavalier is 34 today, and is already showing a strong decline curve. Bolland is a 3rd C, lecavalier is a former top 6 C and he would not be better than bolland behind bjugs and barkov. Fact!

Honestly, I'm tired of reading fans of this club just bashing it! Fire Tallon? Would that revoke the contract for Bolland?? He signed the deal, and it will improve our team. Period. Now stop whining!
Couldn't have said it better myself... and I've damn sure tried. I like a lot of you guys, and love HF boards in general just because of the level of hockey knowledge. But the last week here has made me want to stop coming here at all. So very tired of the over-the-top whining. Thanks for not making me (try) to rant about it again.

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 02:18 PM
5 Hole

I'm not a fan of the signing.. hopefully, best case, we have a good player who will contribute while being over-paid for his place on the team instead of, worst case, a guy who gets constantly injured and doesn't help out at all.. Upshall 2.0 for the most part.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 06:00 PM
vendetta
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
yes but if he is signing with an arguably worse team than us for less money than we could offer then there is no reason to believe he wouldnt come here for slightly more money..... just like Michtell did.
... Maybe it's nothing to do with who's better? He's probably gonna be second line center there and play a more offensive roll than he would here... They have only turris up the middle.... Maybe they promised him opportunity that tallon couldn't... Mybe he wanted to play in canada... Maye a whole bunch of other factors.... Point is there is a good chance he isn't wanna ply here anyway so like I said irrelevant what he signed for just like Richards erhoff vrbata etc... Stupid to speculate just be happy we have a legit 3rd line experienced center instead of another 21 year old rookie

vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
this post is laughable... bollan>>>> trocheck right now... ainec... u want trocheck taking a majority of our d zone draws and playing agianst the crosbys every night? we would get obliterated with barkov jugs trocheck as our top 3 centers... u cant run raw players out there like that... jesus have u learned nothing? trocheck doesnt even dominate ahl but u want him to play agianst oppositions best every night logging heavy defensive zone minutes... unreal
(mod edit: deleted)

It's not surprising that you overvalue checking line players considering that we had this same conversation last year about Kopecky. You made it seem like Kopecky was irreplaceable only to watch other guys step up in his absence and produce even more.

It's questionable how productive Bolland can be. He's had his fair share of injuries. Leafs fans say he had trouble moving to his left last year. No way in hell is he worth a $5.5 million dollar cap hit. I don't feel the need to justify the absurd contract.

You thinking that we'd get obliterated with Barkov, Bjugstad, and Trocheck is your opinion. I can tell you that if we'd get obliterated with those three, it's going to be the same **** with Bolland. Bolland isn't a significant upgrade/difference maker. If you really think that, you should stop drinking the kook-aid perhaps.

It's funny how you and some of the others defending the move keep talking about what Bolland brings without any statistical evidence to back it up. You keep talking about his grit and intangibles like you're writing a love letter. I'd rather stick to objectivity.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 07-05-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The only thing that's "laughable" is your inability to use the shift key.

It's not surprising that you overvalue checking line players considering that we had this same conversation last year about Kopecky. You made it seem like Kopecky was irreplaceable only to watch other guys step up in his absence and produce even more.

It's questionable how productive Bolland can be. He's had his fair share of injuries. Leafs fans say he had trouble moving to his left last year. No way in hell is he worth a $5.5 million dollar cap hit. I don't feel the need to justify the absurd contract.

You thinking that we'd get obliterated with Barkov, Bjugstad, and Trocheck is your opinion. I can tell you that if we'd get obliterated with those three, it's going to be the same **** with Bolland. Bolland isn't a significant upgrade/difference maker. If you really think that, you should stop drinking the kook-aid perhaps.

It's funny how you and some of the others defending the move keep talking about what Bolland brings without any statistical evidence to back it up. You keep talking about his grit and intangibles like you're writing a love letter. I'd rather stick to objectivity.
Grit and intangibles doesn't show up in stats.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Grit and intangibles doesn't show up in stats.
Right, they're subjective. You don't pay 5.5 million for grit and intangibles. It's absurd.

Old
07-05-2014, 08:18 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 605
Quote:
Right, they're subjective. You don't pay 5.5 million for grit and intangibles. It's absurd.
Well we did, so all we can do is hope it pays off next season.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Gaebriel

I wish we could go back to the days where contract terms were never disclosed.

I couldn't care less how much these players are paid. A good team full of overpaid players looks no different to me than a good team full of underpaid players. Only on HFBoards can you find fans who'd rather ice a less competitive team (Drew Shore lol?) just so that everyone can be getting paid what HFBoards thinks they're worth. Only three people need to care about what Dave Bolland makes: Bolland, Tallon and Viola.

1) This team isn't going to spend to the cap.
2) The free agents you want don't want to sign here.
3) Bolland makes the team better.

If Bolland signed for 1 mil per year everyone would be calling Tallon the biggest genius in the world yet the on ice product is exactly the same as it would have been in that fantasy land scenario.

The only real criticism of this signing is that it nudges the team further away from the McDavid / Eichel sweepstakes, but thankfully not by much.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
I wish we could go back to the days where contract terms were never disclosed.

I couldn't care less how much these players are paid. A good team full of overpaid players looks no different to me than a good team full of underpaid players. Only on HFBoards can you find fans who'd rather ice a less competitive team (Drew Shore lol?) just so that everyone can be getting paid what HFBoards thinks they're worth. Only three people need to care about what Dave Bolland makes: Bolland, Tallon and Viola.

1) This team isn't going to spend to the cap.
2) The free agents you want don't want to sign here.
3) Bolland makes the team better.

If Bolland signed for 1 mil per year everyone would be calling Tallon the biggest genius in the world yet the on ice product is exactly the same as it would have been in that fantasy land scenario.

The only real criticism of this signing is that it nudges the team further away from the McDavid / Eichel sweepstakes, but thankfully not by much.
Thinking that contracts are irrelevant is foolish.
The sport is a business.

Furthermore, some people don't really care about overpayments if the players are good. It's questionable that Bolland is even all that good at this point in his career.

There weren't many complaints when we acquired guys like Brian Campbell and Roberto Luongo who are also overpaid. Why? Because those guys were necessities and far more valuable than a checking line center.

Old
07-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Gaebriel

Quote:
Thinking that contracts are irrelevant is foolish.
The sport is a business.

Furthermore, some people don't really care about overpayments if the players are good. It's questionable that Bolland is even all that good at this point in his career.

There weren't many complaints when we acquired guys like Brian Campbell and Roberto Luongo who are also overpaid. Why? Because those guys were necessities and far more valuable than a checking line center.
They're not irrelevant. They're irrelevant to fans.

Bolland signs for 1 mil a year, woo hoo! Team finishes 29th.
Bolland signs for 5.5 mil a year, boo hiss! Team finishes 29th.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
They're not totally subjective though. You can't take the intangibles out of the discussion of Bolland because they're a large part of what make Bolland...Bolland. He has intangibles that are palpable but hard to quantify on a stats sheet.

I'm not saying he's worth 5.5, but he's worth a hell of a lot more than 1.2, which some people were saying.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:27 PM
iam76

If he stays healthy I love the signing... even knowing he's overpaid. If he ends up hurt a lot I will jump on the hate bandwagon

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Well we did, so all we can do is hope it pays off next season.
Amen. Why complain about Bolland now when he hasn't even played a game? Complain when he gets injured for half the season and doesn't contribute.

If we make the playoffs this year some of these people are going to look like dummies.

Kellyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 12:01 AM
jrockett1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
They're not irrelevant. They're irrelevant to fans.

Bolland signs for 1 mil a year, woo hoo! Team finishes 29th.
Bolland signs for 5.5 mil a year, boo hiss! Team finishes 29th.
Before the salary cap no one cared. You just hoped your team owner had the bucks and would spend it and there was no salary limit or salary floor obligations to think of so yeah we fans didn't care. Before. Some teams now self cap themselves like we still look like we do here so yes salaries do matter because we don't know what our owner REALLY wants to spend up to and bad Bolland contracts for just one little example can prevent us from trading for a star rental player at the deadline with a big price tag. So yes I do care about contracts and how wisely large money gets distributed to our players and you probably should too because it does matter big time now how these teams are built and how far they are willing to go to really win.

jrockett1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 02:32 AM
Tuco

No. We won't get those impact players everyone wants yet. If we do better this year, maybe next summer we can get up the UFA ladder aswell.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote