HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposal Thread XXXV - Mad Gab Edition: "Roy Ott While There"

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2014, 02:59 PM
DarksideGhost

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
RNH/Draisaitl/Arcobello/Gordon

You know what helps your C depth? Jack Eichel.
I think you mean Connor Mcdavid

Old
07-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideGhost View Post
I think you mean Connor Mcdavid
Meh I think Buffalo still gets McDavid, but the Oilers with the current roster will be neck and neck.

Perfect on the wing (sans a 4th line RW), but still lacking one top 4 D, and needing C depth badly.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:01 PM
McDeathbyCheerios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
MacT is clearly dumb enough to start a season with an enormous gaping hole at centre: he did it last year. Every body knew it was a mistake, and we watched it happen. The centre situation is worse now than it was last year, and now we have to ask ourselves is MacT just stupid enough to make a huge mistake once, or stupid enough to do it all over again? We'll see! Hooray!
Actually we went into the year with RNH, Gagner coming off career year, Gordon and 3 players fighting for the fourth line spot. Our center depth was actually decent u til Gagner got his jaw destroyed then **** the bed after he came back, you can't predict that

Old
07-04-2014, 03:03 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
I don't see why we should trade valuable assets to get a 2C when there is two legit 2nd line centers available in free agency.
"Legit" is a stretch in both cases.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:03 PM
DarksideGhost

vCash: 116
ok, Seriously MacT really need to do something because the Western conference is Stacked. trade or Sign someone soon for 2C or else we will see top 5 pick again....

Last edited by DarksideGhost: 07-04-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old
07-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

MacT slow played the disastrous goalie situation last season and filled the holes admirably imo without giving up much at all. I hope that he does the same with the centre position this season. If he panics like many fans on these boards are, he'll lose in a trade/deal big time. He has to be patient and make a deal that makes sense for the team. If he panics, we're screwed. Intelligent moves sometimes take time. I'm okay with waiting, if that's what it takes. I have confidence in MacT.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:07 PM
dookers9

I think Ott could put up some half decent stats playing along Perron and Yakupov. I just hate that we'd wind up sliding yet another relative underachiever into a spot best saved for another player. Our lack of depth at virtually every position over the years has meant that we've had 3/4 D playing as 1/2, 2 goaltenders playing as 1, and 3/4 C playing as 2. And the results have been predictable as the sun rising and setting.

I love Ott's grit. He gets under an opponent's skin and has that edge that can throw someone off his game. I remember him leaving Stortini not knowing whether he was coming or going. He's the type of player you hate when he plays against you, so he's PERFECT for the Oilers who've been all kinds of too soft for too long.

But Ott's a 3C. Really. Going with RNH as 1C, someone like Legwand (d-oh!) as 2C, Ott at 3C and Gordon in at 4C would (have) been ideal. I just don't want to be "settling" yet again, for players being slotted in spots they aren't fit for.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:08 PM
copper_blue

Ott reminds me of Torres, that's not a bad thing.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:09 PM
LV
Free my bro Leivo

vCash: 4152
What up boys, what do you guys think about Petry for Franson + conditional 5th (Petry re-signs)?

Old
07-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
MacT slow played the disastrous goalie situation last season and filled the holes admirably imo without giving up much at all. I hope that he does the same with the centre position this season. If he panics like many fans on these boards are, he'll lose in a trade/deal big time. He has to be patient and make a deal that makes sense for the team. If he panics, we're screwed. Intelligent moves sometimes take time. I'm okay with waiting, if that's what it takes. I have confidence in MacT.
The problem is his 'slow play' basically killed the season last year as the goaltending was one of the key factors in it's demise...if he does that again this year, not too many people are going to be happy.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
SchultzSquared*

Legwand is MacT's first real miss of the off season IMO... needed his size and more importantly leadership/two way game... an option better be coming by trade... and even then whoever it is will make more than $3M guaranteed (unless Roy signs cheap but he has his flaws)

Old
07-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Parch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Lets go with Leon and Arco and see how it goes.
Sure looks like that's how it's going to end up isn't it. Let's risk ruining a top prospect and settling for the worst depth at center in the league.

At that price, was Edmonton even trying to get Legwand?

Sorry, but the off season is a major fail if that's how camp opens.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Spawn

Quote:
MacT slow played the goalie situation last year and the Oilers were out of the playoffs 25 games into the year. And even with finally addressing the hole, we are left with 2 goalies with 110 combined games of NHL experience. Hardly something to get overconfident about. Hopefully they work out, but it's far from a sure thing.

If MacT slow plays the center situation the year will be over before it starts.

Old
McDeathbyCheerios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The problem is his 'slow play' basically killed the season last year as the goaltending was one of the key factors in it's demise...if he does that again this year, not too many people are going to be happy.
He had to slow play it. There was really nothing else he could of done with goaltending. I'm sure he could of pitched 5mill at Bryzgalov for 5 years but no one was willing to. It was his first year as the GM and he had to assess things. Now he knows everything he has to work with.

Old
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Legwand is MacT's first real miss of the off season IMO... needed his size and more importantly leadership/two way game... an option better be coming by trade... and even then whoever it is will make more than $3M guaranteed (unless Roy signs cheap but he has his flaws)
Such as being too small and useless to cut it in the West.

Old
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
This fear of "losing a trade" has to go. If the trade fills a need and solves a chronic problem now and in the future with the net result of a stronger, more balanced and successful team why on earth would we care if we "lose the trade" on paper? Aside from inane HF discussion board bragging rights, it's completely and utterly irrelevant.

Old
Yak City

I vaguely remember hearing that Legwand had no interest in coming here, but I can't remember if that was published or just HFboards speculation.

Old
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Agreed, Legwand would have been a good fit for 2C

Old
07-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
What up boys, what do you guys think about Petry for Franson + conditional 5th (Petry re-signs)?
Franson is a disaster in his own zone. So no.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:15 PM
destro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Actually we went into the year with RNH, Gagner coming off career year, Gordon and 3 players fighting for the fourth line spot. Our center depth was actually decent u til Gagner got his jaw destroyed then **** the bed after he came back, you can't predict that
RNH was actually just coming off shoulder surgery, and was expected to likely miss the first month of the season. So yes, the lack of depth at C at the start of the season could have been predicted. He ended up coming back early, but I suspect there would have been less pressure for him to do so if Gagner didn't get injured during the preseason.

Old
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
So here are some centers that are available according to reports or are UFAs

Steve Ott
Derek Roy
Saku Koivu
Andrei Loktionov
Kyle Broadziak
Vinny Lecavalier
Brayden Schenn
Patrick Sharp (center-ish)
Marcus Johansson
Brooks Laich
Chris Kelly
Patrick Berglund
Brandon Sutter
Ryan O'Reilly
Antoine Vermette
Michael Frolik(?)
Josh Bailey
Tomas Kopecky (?)
Lars Eller (?)
Colin Wilson

That's a just a few, not saying they're all available, but quite a few of them will be

Old
McGlassbangers

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
I vaguely remember hearing that Legwand had no interest in coming here, but I can't remember if that was published or just HFboards speculation.
Rishaug tweeted that Edmonton had lukewarm interest in Legwand and Legwand had lukewarm interest in Edmonton. MacT probably didn't even try to sign him.

Old
07-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Talking about me, or the Oilers organization?

They'll get some good will and faith when they earn it. I'm conditioned to expect the worst. Until I get something other than the worst I will continue to expect it.
Well that's your problem, if you want it to be true so it shows up the Organization or some garbage, fine, but I don't care.

Old
dookers9

Quote:
I'm not sure that there's shame in NOT being okay with waiting. Anyone that's followed the Oilers through the team's chronic turmoil is entitled to some disillusionment and frustration. And many times the words: "It'll take time", or "Just be patient and have faith" have been spoken with no outcomes to speak of.

For the record, I believe in MacT and I haven't given up on him. At his hiring I was one of few that was willing to give him some space to see what he could do. He's a bright bulb and I suspected he'd have more to offer than Tambo ever did. He could still pull something off, so I'm not set to boot him out.

I just think that Oilers fans have seen this scenario before, can't imagine being subject to yet another year of total crap, and are understandably getting a little jonesy. But expressing concern doesn't amount to giving up on the team.

Old
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Rishaug tweeted that Edmonton had lukewarm interest in Legwand and Legwand had lukewarm interest in Edmonton. MacT probably didn't even try to sign him.
I certainly hope so because that makes a much better narrative then what we utter don't know happened.

Closed Thread