HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Guess who's back??

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
Guess who's back??

Sorry if this has already been posted (I didn't see it anywhere), but someone from the Oilers board posted that Comrie flew back to Edmonton.

This is a good sign! Maybe the contract negotiations are almost finished?

There are too many Oiler fans here who can give some more info on this (I think you're all very smart, plus this city is a close community), so what did you hear?

Thx!

Old
10-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I heard nothing and I talked to a handful of other media people who SAY they also have heard nothing. (I suppose no one would really say if they did though).

I do know that Rich Winter was at the game tonight though. Not sure if he always goes or if he met with Kevin Lowe at all but...

Old
10-05-2003, 03:30 AM
Yanner39

Maybe he's just coming back to pick up some stuff and make preparations to head to his new NHL city?

Old
10-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Shibumi

Rich Winter has seasons tickets to the Oilers. It might be as innocent as that. I think the Oilers will keep Comrie for a few years yet. Kevin isn't stupid, he knows offence is a question mark going into the season.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Lowetide

That would be terrific news. Despite that big performance the other night, and Hemsky's 3 goals in the games he's played, the Oilers scored 18 goals in 7 games.

Here's hoping it's a 3 year deal.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:31 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
That would be terrific news. Despite that big performance the other night, and Hemsky's 3 goals in the games he's played, the Oilers scored 18 goals in 7 games.

Here's hoping it's a 3 year deal.
Here's hoping. This front end would look a lot better with everybody playing their natural position imho. One thing I am optimistic about. Small players always seem to get in game shape quicker than the big boys.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:49 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yes, lets keep our fingers crossed boys and girls (and our booing to ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: )

Old
10-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Hairball

I'm the last one to want to put a damper on positive thinking, but I was talking to one of the ushers last night. The word is this:
1. Comrie doesn't want to play in Edmonton anymore.
2. He has called friends here from Michigan crying about his situation.
3. His agent is an idiot (from someone other than Comrie's point of view I believe this is coming from).
4. He doesn't like being criticized here.
5. When he was playing for us, he would stay out on the ice for longer than he was supposed to in order to meet his bonus requirements. (This one upsets me the most.)

This is from an usher with a mutual friend of his. the usher said that I could pass forward our conversation here. I asked. Also, it was mentioned that he will not play for us again.

I take this as the second bit of "proof" that he doesn't want to play here- after of course him never saying that he does.

I'm guessing he gets traded as soon as Lowe finds a team that he will sign for with some top end talent that they will part with in part of a package deal.

For the record, I want him to stay and play here. He has talent. I also want him to be happy playing here which doesn't look possible. Failing these two, I want him gone for a great return. We do have his rights, which may be the most important part of his first contract at this point, and he is very talented. I will be disappointed if we can't package him with someone else for equal or greater talent.

Old
10-05-2003, 12:04 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
I'm the last one to want to put a damper on positive thinking, but I was talking to one of the ushers last night. The word is this:
3. His agent is an idiot (from someone other than Comrie's point of view I believe this is coming from).
5. When he was playing for us, he would stay out on the ice for longer than he was supposed to in order to meet his bonus requirements. (This one upsets me the most.)

This is from an usher with a mutual friend of his. the usher said that I could pass forward our conversation here. I asked. Also, it was mentioned that he will not play for us again.

I take this as the second bit of "proof" that he doesn't want to play here- after of course him never saying that he does.

I'm guessing he gets traded as soon as Lowe finds a team that he will sign for with some top end talent that they will part with in part of a package deal.

For the record, I want him to stay and play here. He has talent. I also want him to be happy playing here which doesn't look possible. Failing these two, I want him gone for a great return. We do have his rights, which may be the most important part of his first contract at this point, and he is very talented. I will be disappointed if we can't package him with someone else for equal or greater talent.
No offense to you Hairball, but unless that usher's last name was Comrie, Winters or Lowe, why would he know more than you, or I, or the media...? I know some folks that work gamenights at the Oiler games too...they're not exactly given dressing room access.

No proof there, IMO.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:35 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

I doubt the usher knows anymore than the janitors cleaning the urinals, and they don't know anymore than you or I. The usher is hardly a reliable source.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
one in a decadicillion chance that this guy isn't talking out of his as$.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Hairball

Well, take it for what you will. I'm not going to force anyone to believe anything. I know the context of the conversation and believe it to be true. I just thought I'd pass on what I heard.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Well, take it for what you will. I'm not going to force anyone to believe anything. I know the context of the conversation and believe it to be true. I just thought I'd pass on what I heard.
Who did he speak to? Was this a conversation he overheard? Just curious because some ushers do have access to different areas, box suites or even the pressbox.

I am going to take it for what it is, but it is interesting.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:02 PM
jadeddog

hey until any of us hear from any actual true source, anything we post on here is nothing more than speculation

not that some of it cant be true, but im not really gonna comment on the situation anymore, because at the end of the day..... what the hell do i really knwo about it.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:23 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:

And an usher also told me that Minnesota was trading us Luoma for Gaborik within the next 2 days

Old
10-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
And an usher also told me that Minnesota was trading us Luoma for Gaborik within the next 2 days

And if you believe that, it's your perrogative. Tell you what- we'll put money on which is closer K?

Old
10-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Oi'll say!

Whether or not you guys choose to believe what you read is up to you, but people are free to chime in with whatever info they feel is accurate. Life's like that.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Lowetide

Interesting stuff, Hairball. I had heard about him not coming back, but keep hoping it'll turn around.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:36 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Whether or not you guys choose to believe what you read is up to you, but people are free to chime in with whatever info they feel is accurate. Life's like that.
Exactly. We've all "chimed in" with 'I heard this or that'. This was just someone else's view point that Hairball was passing on to us. I, for one, appreciate and respect different perspectives, even if I don't agree with them.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:41 PM
igor*

Quote:
I'm the last one to want to put a damper on positive thinking, but I was talking to one of the ushers last night. The word is this: .....
Thanks Hairball. Its hearsay, but you didn't advertise it as anything otherwise.

This whole Comrie situation is taking on the same air as the Pavel Bure / Vancouver Canucks situation of a few years ago.

We'll find out soon enough I suppose. But as long as Lowe either signs Comrie to a reasonable deal (seems unlikely right now), or trades him for good value, I'll be happy.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:55 PM
fuhr

I hope this gets done and quickly!!!! I want Comrie here but if he has to go than be done with it because if this goes on to far into the season you can kiss the season goodbye. This team doesn't have the horses or the leadership to deal with a bad start. It's been proven by teams in the past that if you get off to a bad start in the west you can pretty much kiss the playoffs goodbye. Either sign him or bring in a forward who can help,not a d-man. Granted,they badly need another rearguard but if they lose Comrie theyll need a forward more.

Old
10-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Cerebral

I found this thread this morning and a thought came to me: I really want Comrie to remain an Oiler. I've been a big proponent of the various Comrie to Atl/Bos/Nas trades in the past few weeks but upon reading that he's back in Edmonton, I realized I'd love to see him suit up on Thursday night. I just remember 2 seasons ago where he held this team up by the jockstraps and kept scoring game winning goal after goal. A lot of us fans are kidding ourselves by thinking Smyth will solve our problem of size down the middle; Ryan is a prototypical grinding winger and is as much a center as Dvorak is a goaltender.
I'm hoping Comrie signs a York-like contract for at least 2 seasons and starts this season off with a bang. Please please please don't turn this into a Tom Poti situation; business is business and Comrie is just a hockey player. Though we are all making assumptions as to his interest in staying in Edmonton, I've yet to hear anything from Comrie denouncing the City of Champions. Granted that might be a bad sign in itself but it certainly isn't Comrie demanding a trade. I want Mike to surprise us all and come out against San Jose with a huge chip on his shoulder. We finally have a good combination of skill guys (Hemsky, Dvorak, Comrie) and size (Moreau, Isbister, Chimera).. let's keep it that way and build internally towards a run at Lord Stanley's grail!

Old
10-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:

no, he's right guys, i heard the same thing from my barber's son's teacher's neighbour's brother in law's gardener. the gardener's uncle owns a bistro and his head waitress said that her brother told her that he read it in an internet message board from a guy who's dad bought a sofa set from the Brick. so it's got to be true.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:20 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
I appreciate u sharing but of course will take it with a grain of salt as it did not come from one the perverbial "horse's mouth". but ,even a rumour is better than nothing and considering where he works and Comrie's/Lowe's ambiguous stance on the matter I am little more open to gossip since everyone has been fairly tight-lipped on the matter.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:31 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I appreciate u sharing but of course will take it with a grain of salt as it did not come from one the perverbial "horse's mouth". but ,even a rumour is better than nothing and considering where he works and Comrie's/Lowe's ambiguous stance on the matter I am little more open to gossip since everyone has been fairly tight-lipped on the matter.
Yeah, when is this situation ever going to have any progress? Not much has been said about Comrie the last week or two. I guess maybe everyone(local media) is getting tired of the situation and just don't bother commenting on wether the situation is getting anywhere. OR, could it be.......the calm before the storm?!?

Closed Thread