HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dekes

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Left Of The Dial

vCash: 500
Dekes

What are some of your favourite dekes to use in ice hockey?

Old
10-06-2005, 09:16 PM
DaveyCrockett

I have zero hands and very average speed but I like to use this on slower defensemen when I have some space. Coming in on the off wing, not at top speed, fake inside then pull the puck back the outside and blow past him with a quick burst of speed to the outside, cutting back in. You need to keep your feet moving the entire time. Since he is skating backwards, and will have to pivot, he won't be able to accelerate quite as fast as you. This should give you maybe half a step on him and you can just bull your way past him from there, since you have body position. Good defensemen will own you if you are an average player and this works much better in non-contact since the defender can't hit you.

Old
10-06-2005, 11:37 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Like, on defensemen or on goalies?

Or both?

Old
10-07-2005, 03:02 AM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses

Or both?
Only on defensemen, you can't exactly go inside outside on a goalie and bull around him. Its not even really a deke, its just a common move used to burn defensemen.

Old
10-07-2005, 07:07 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
I have zero hands and very average speed but I like to use this on slower defensemen when I have some space. Coming in on the off wing, not at top speed, fake inside then pull the puck back the outside and blow past him with a quick burst of speed to the outside, cutting back in. You need to keep your feet moving the entire time. Since he is skating backwards, and will have to pivot, he won't be able to accelerate quite as fast as you. This should give you maybe half a step on him and you can just bull your way past him from there, since you have body position. Good defensemen will own you if you are an average player and this works much better in non-contact since the defender can't hit you.
Important to keep the puck to the outside as much as possible, too. Otherwise, even the slowest of defensemen can pokecheck it into the boards/corner while they're pivoting.

Old
10-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I play roller hockey but these should be of use still:

playing either wing, but preferably not offwing, to go by a defender, get close to them and turn slightly towards the boards while going quickly and dangle the puck out in front of you on the forehand *this works in roller for me cos we dont play full contact - in ice, you may get leveled trying this* and wait for the defender to try and poke check you. Once they start leaning or reaching to get the puck, toe drag it back to around the heel of your foot on forehand side. If you can keep decent control of the puck, pivot fairly hard and turn inside. At this point, you can push the puck through or around the defenders feet, or if its a really slow defender you want to show up, drag it between your feet from behind you. After you push the puck past them, they will be facing completely the wrong way so make sure your first few strides after beating them are good to give yourself plenty of space.

This next one works best again on your forehand wing, you can do this when you get stuck in the corner or if you go from your off wing round the net to your forehand wing. I'll explain this for going round the net, change it as needed for staying on your forehand wing. Go round the back of the net with some speed and as you turn onto your forehand wing towards your own end, keep the puck to the outside (backhand) for protection. Defenders should want to play you positionally here as you are moving quickly but away from the goal. once you have a bit of space, bring the puck in front of you and see if the defender makes a move, if not, bring it into the inside. once the puck is inside of you, the defender should go for it, do a check stop and play the puck behind them. avoid colliding with the defender and beat them to the puck and get your head up, you should have time to evaluate what to do next.

I've got a few more but i just do one for time being, this works best on your off wing. Skate at the defender with the puck on your forehand, in a position you'd usually have if you were about to shoot or pass. Dont sprint though, a change of pace helps on this one. It sometimes helps if you fake a shot or pass here too, but thats optional. Once its on the forehand, take a strong stride to the outside and bring the puck around the front of your body. hopefully, the defender will move with you. As soon as youve moved the puck across your body and the defender alters their course and once the puck is almost or on your backhand, do a toe drag across your body until the puck is wide on your forehand side (if you do the widesweeps drill, you should have good control of the puck still). As you pull the drag, turn inside again and this should open up enough space to either blast clean through the inside if you are fast, or get a shooting or passing lane if not. Good practice for this is doing a standard toe drag drill but from left to right instead of front to back. Adding in the fakes and changes of pace may take a bit of time but ive found if you really sell this move, it gets you plenty of space. if you want, from the toe drag, instead of keeping control of the puck, play it into some space (if there is any) so you can skate onto it and wind up your shot in the mean time.

Old
10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:

Or both?
Both

Old
10-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
i think hands are my main strength in hockey so i've a few different dekes. On defensemen on a 1-on-1 i like to do as if a go on one sied and then i go on the other side and pass the puck between his blade and his foots. Or when i come by the side i like to pass the puck between my legs and then i accelerate. On goalies it really depends of their position.

Old
10-07-2005, 09:45 AM
PACaptain

I've always been a good speed/not so great hands player so I like to take the puck outside. But I do use my speed to set up a toe drag sometimes, especially if I know that I have room between the defenseman and his backcheckers. The same thing works when I start hard to the outside until the defenseman turns his hips and pull the puck back and cut to the middle. As far as goalies, I have two moves that I pretty much rely on. The first one I fake a wrister and turn the puck over for a shot on the backhand. This works if you can get good lift on a backhander because almost all goaltenders will respect the fake wrist shot and that will give you the top shelf almost every time. Growing up in Pittsburgh, the other move I have is the Mario Lemieux breakaway move where you move laterally across the front of the net and wait for the goalie to open his legs to shoot five hole. Doesn't work nearly as often as it does for Mario because I don't have his wingspan or quick hands but still fairly effective.

Old
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain
Growing up in Pittsburgh, the other move I have is the Mario Lemieux breakaway move where you move laterally across the front of the net and wait for the goalie to open his legs to shoot five hole. Doesn't work nearly as often as it does for Mario because I don't have his wingspan or quick hands but still fairly effective.
Good move, but i prefer the one handed move (not sure who came up with that one). Its difficult to pull off in a game, but whenever it works (game, practice, etc) its a sweet feeling.

Old
10-07-2005, 10:10 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Well, since everyone is doing dekes for defensemen, I will toss a few dekes on goalies out there.

The simplest thing to do without getting too crazy is to do what Mario and Gretzky used to do. Basically, I get a breakaway, I am doing one of two things.

Depending on the goalie, I either fake to my right and take it back to the left for the roofed backhand... or fake to my left and go forehand where I either slip it five hole as the goalie comes across or roof it. You can add in several more fakes, shoulder fakes, head fakes etc... too. Just watch Lemieux and Gretzky on film. If you can sell your fakes, those moves a simple but money..

If you want to kick it up a notch, if you are right handed, come in from the right and cut across the crease to your left. While doing that, slip the stick and puck back through your legs as if you were doing the Mario through the legs shot. From there, you either take that shot, or quickly sling the puck back out front of you and slide in the backhand.

I also like the Cammelari move from the AHL All-Star Skills Competition.

If you can pick the pcuk up lacrosse style, you can confuse a lot of goalies by scooping it and simply hurling it to the bottom corners of the net...

Old
10-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Well, since everyone is doing dekes for defensemen, I will toss a few dekes on goalies out there.

The simplest thing to do without getting too crazy is to do what Mario and Gretzky used to do. Basically, I get a breakaway, I am doing one of two things.

Depending on the goalie, I either fake to my right and take it back to the left for the roofed backhand... or fake to my left and go forehand where I either slip it five hole as the goalie comes across or roof it. You can add in several more fakes, shoulder fakes, head fakes etc... too. Just watch Lemieux and Gretzky on film. If you can sell your fakes, those moves a simple but money..

If you want to kick it up a notch, if you are right handed, come in from the right and cut across the crease to your left. While doing that, slip the stick and puck back through your legs as if you were doing the Mario through the legs shot. From there, you either take that shot, or quickly sling the puck back out front of you and slide in the backhand.

I also like the Cammelari move from the AHL All-Star Skills Competition.

If you can pick the pcuk up lacrosse style, you can confuse a lot of goalies by scooping it and simply hurling it to the bottom corners of the net...
Another one, not much of a deke or a shot, low percentage play you might call it, skate from your off wing and cut across the crease to the far post, when you are in front of the keeper, fake the shot on the forehand and toe drag the puck behind you. Using only the toe end of the blade, chip underneath the puck and aim for back post - wont always work but it'll confuse the hell out of the keeper. The only times i've done this are in training, or if im almost standing still in front of the goal with people around me and cant get any other type of shot off. No one expects you to take a forehand shot from behind your body with the toe of your blade

Old
10-07-2005, 06:38 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Haha, yes, I did that in a ball hockey game. I missed high left though... Goalie was confused tohugh, I can attest to that.

Old
10-07-2005, 07:28 PM
ftyutin51

This is one of my best moves but I only make it 1/3 of the times I attempt it. Not sure if this is a legal move to use in the NHL but I play rollerhockey, so whatever.

I'm a more offensive type player and my quick hands are my best attribute to my game. I have fast reflexes and hand-eye coordination. So, going full speed, I get the puck, pretend I'm going to do a deke going right-left-then backhand it in which some goalies very easily go right down to save on, but I kick my right leg, hit the puck against my left skate and sometimes, goalies get confused, sometimes I get confused lift the puck in the air, then I tip the puck in the net. Another one I do a lot and is known to my friends as my favorite and easiest move is: I quickly fake a shot (when that is done), kick the puck to my left, and backhand it in top left corner.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Al la Bure in Vancouver...i was just about to post that move where you drop it to your skate kick it back up and backhand it in when you posted it, i love that move i also have found that if you can do it the dropping it between you legs and going corner with your stick in between your legs really works...but more often then not because i have such a quick releace i just blow it by goalies on breakaways and score 8-10 times usually. i get alot of breakaways in a season and if you come at a goalie full speed and just fire it after faking or stick handling a lil then shoot at about the hash marks to a corner (never five-hole unless you have one crazy wicked fast shot cause goalies show it as long as they can and take it away just as fast) I played goalie and that would drive me crazy when people just fired away

Old
10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Kardi

on breakaways
fake the shot then go to the backhand to forehand then back to backhand and try to go up (signature move for me)

or if im ballsy (worked only once )
i put the puck between my legs but half way (get the goalie to think im going to shoot the puck with my stick between my legs)do a little head fake.. pull it back and either slide it in on my back hand (im a righty) or if the goalie has that side of the net covered still (never does when i try it on ice) then i just try to either 1 hand it on the other side or move to my right and slide it in

its hard to do at full speed and it also depends if the goalie bites on the head fake and if you can pull it off before you get to close to the goalie or get poke checked

Closed Thread