HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nicklas Jensen - Part II

Old
07-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
Jensen has been forced to work in his defensive game in the AHL, and it was partly this focus that resulted in him getting off to a slow start.

This is a prospect that needs to spend a good deal more time in the AHL. When he's able to score 35 goals at that level while holding his own defensively, he'll be ready to make the jump full time. But he still has two seasons of waiver exempt status to make it happen. If he can keep his effort level up he'll stand a better chance. Hopefully his experiences last season have shown him that nothing is going to come easy.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:33 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

I for one thought he was actually decent on the backcheck and was conscious about his responsibilities.

As for the high-risk plays, isn't that something you let your offensive players do? We've been playing safe, chip-it-in-chip-it-out for so long there's almost no creativity in their play anymore it seemed.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:15 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ferraro View Post
Yeah there's quite a logjam. Jensen can only make the lineup if he's better than any of our top 6 players, I could see Jensen jump in and out everytime there's a injury in the top 6 while keeping the bottom 6 the same. It'll help keep the chemistry in the bottom 6 without costing much against the top 6 or maybe we can make a move or two to make some holes for some young players to jump in. I see Jensen in the AHL for another season though, there's no room and I think he needs some more time in the AHL.

One thing Shanahan mentioned about the Leafs lineup is they have some holes for some younger players to jump in and take those spots. There isn't those holes for the Canucks, sure we don't have that many prospects that are NHL ready but I think that's what keeps prospects going and when they look at the lineup they can see that there's a spot for them to take. If I'm a prospect right now I'm thinking where can I fit in? The Canucks management will have to convince some of these prospects that there is space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Pretty good breakdown of where things stand realistically speaking.

I think the point re: Kassian is probably particularly poignant. It's easy to get carried away penciling him right into that 2nd line RW spot based on the way he closed out last season and our "expectations" that he takes that next step this year, but if we get to camp and he takes a bit of a step back to his "norm" and/or Jensen (or someone else) just straight up outplays him, that spot could be more "up for grabs" than it initially appears. And Kassian is very much a guy who would fit the bill for what Benning wants to staff the bottom-6 with if it comes to that.

There could be some real, genuine "competition" for significant spots on the roster this year among the many young guys, actually a bit reminiscent of the year Gillis took over and cut ties with Naslund and BMo. Some will have a bit of an unfair advantage in that their waiver status will keep them around in some capacity no matter what...but the way things are shaping up, there are some spots where they've left the door open a crack for young players to take a spot.
There is unquestionably an opportunity present for a rookie to take a spot, but it's not one that will be easily seized. It's a pretty tough sell putting a rookie in the line-up right now. The only ones we even have with a bottom 6 skill-set that are really likely to push are Gaunce and Horvat, and maybe Fox; and even then, their inclusion would involve moving pieces around and ultimately pushing Hansen down and Dorsett out, which I don't honestly see happening, really.

For any winger prospect to make the team, they have to push Hansen down, and probably Kassian as well because none of our winger prospects are bottom-6 types. Jensen and Shinkaruk both have to make the top 6, in my opinion. That's a pretty tough sell, but it's not impossible.

TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
deckercky

I don't think there's any chance for a non-elite defensively prospect (eg, pretty much Horvat or Gaunce) to slot into the wings on the third line, since Vey will need insulation defensively as much as possible as he eases into the NHL.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:32 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
I don't think there's any chance for a non-elite defensively prospect (eg, pretty much Horvat or Gaunce) to slot into the wings on the third line, since Vey will need insulation defensively as much as possible as he eases into the NHL.
I think Higgins and Hansen are ideal linemates for Vey to start the season, but I don't think it's out of the question that Vey finds his groove and ends up moving throughout the line-up.

This means as far as the opening roster is concerned, I don't think Jensen is put on Vey's wing, and I don't think Jensen pushes Kassian down onto Vey's wing.

Old
07-11-2014, 05:36 PM
TheKottonmouthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
I think Higgins and Hansen are ideal linemates for Vey to start the season, but I don't think it's out of the question that Vey finds his groove and ends up moving throughout the line-up.

This means as far as the opening roster is concerned, I don't think Jensen is put on Vey's wing, and I don't think Jensen pushes Kassian down onto Vey's wing.
Why is everyone putting Vey at centre? Is he not a RW?

We have enough down the middle already without converting Vey to C.

Sedin, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson, Horvat, Lain, O'Reilly, Gaunce, Fox.

I am hoping Matthias can finally find his legs and some goals this year. He is huge 6'4'', and only 26. Was drafted by the Wings who know a thing or two about scouting late round guys. Matthias is gonna be put into a better system for him in the West with his size, this year could be the perfect storm for him to breakout as an NHLer along with guys like Vey.

Right now, I see Burrows, Hansen and Higgins having to work there ***** off to not lose their spots to guys like Vey, Kassian, Jensen, and Matthias. Benning has been adamant when guys are ready he will make room for them. Burrows at 4.25 needs to go. Hansen and Higgins I'd keep one move the other, I'm leaving towards keeping Higgins.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Jensen
Kassian-Matthias-Vey
Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Last edited by TheKottonmouthed: 07-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
TheKottonmouthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:38 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKottonmouthed View Post

Sedin, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson, Horvat, Lain O'Reilly, Gaunce, Fox.
Vey is a C who can play RW. So ideally, we develop his ability to play C so that we have more C depth.

Old
07-12-2014, 06:44 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Why is everyone putting Vey on the wing? Is he not a C?

Man, throw Jensen with Vey on the third line, give them some easy match ups and let them run rampant like Kass did with flipping Richardson and Booth last year.

BobbyJazzLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Ray Ferraro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJazzLegs View Post

Man, throw Jensen with Vey on the third line, give them some easy match ups and let them run rampant like Kass did with flipping Richardson and Booth last year.
I don't believe Jensen is developed as a NHL player yet, one more year is the way to go. Last year was his first real pro NHL season. I think one more year and we can move out some of our players for a hole in our roster for him to take. He isn't as good as he can possibly be, he doesn't have the skill level I think he can have.

One more year, but he's still the first call-up if someone from the top 6 goes down.

Ray Ferraro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Nuck This

Quote:

Because he'll be a winger in the NHL

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Ray Ferraro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Because he'll be a winger in the NHL
He played centre in LA, I assume he'll play centre for us too.

Old
07-13-2014, 12:35 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Because Vey was handed Jensen's spot (albeit it shuffled to C). Jensen is going to the minors unless there are further trades or injuries.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 04:42 AM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ferraro View Post
He played centre in LA, I assume he'll play centre for us too.
From what the posters on the Kings' board have said, he played mostly RW when he was up with the team and looked better on the wing as well.

Personally, I have no preference as long as he produces. I'm just passing that along.

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 08:02 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinglockdown View Post
From what the posters on the Kings' board have said, he played mostly RW when he was up with the team and looked better on the wing as well.

Personally, I have no preference as long as he produces. I'm just passing that along.
Lewis 64m
Nolan 56m
Pearson 42m
Clifford 39m
Toffoli 38m
Frattin 23m
Carcillo 20m
King 14m
Brown 10m

Old
07-13-2014, 10:03 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKottonmouthed View Post

Sedin, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson, Horvat, Lain, O'Reilly, Gaunce, Fox.

I am hoping Matthias can finally find his legs and some goals this year. He is huge 6'4'', and only 26. Was drafted by the Wings who know a thing or two about scouting late round guys. Matthias is gonna be put into a better system for him in the West with his size, this year could be the perfect storm for him to breakout as an NHLer along with guys like Vey.

Right now, I see Burrows, Hansen and Higgins having to work there ***** off to not lose their spots to guys like Vey, Kassian, Jensen, and Matthias. Benning has been adamant when guys are ready he will make room for them. Burrows at 4.25 needs to go. Hansen and Higgins I'd keep one move the other, I'm leaving towards keeping Higgins.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Jensen
Kassian-Matthias-Vey
Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett
Why even mention Lain ? From what I seen , his cieling is Tom Sestito. Bad pick

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Davos View Post
Why even mention Lain ? From what I seen , his cieling is Tom Sestito. Bad pick
He was a free agent signing.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:22 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
He was a free agent signing.
Yup.

I think Lain is progressing nicely, he could be 4C in a year when Richardson's contract is up.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Yup.

I think Lain is progressing nicely, he could be 4C in a year when Richardson's contract is up.
Yeah he actually progressed quite well in he AHL last year after a slow start. Friesen is another guy that seemed to turn his game around in the second half of the year. Sadly his time might be up with an influx of talent in the system.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Yup.

You don't think Gaunce is more likely to make the transition at 4C? Gaunce has the upside to be more (3rd line C or LW, or possibly 2nd line LW at some point if he really pans out), but I think he may be brought in to give the team an elite 4th line.

Though if Lain is good enough, then you could have something like Gaunce - Lain - Dorsett, which wouldn't be too bad.

For sure it will be an interesting few years - aside from Henrik, there will be a lot of young centers transitioning through the lineup fighting for minutes. Bonino, Vey, Gaunce, Horvat, Lain and possibly even Cassels could compete for minutes at center.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Ray Ferraro

Quote:
You don't think Gaunce is more likely to make the transition at 4C? Gaunce has the upside to be more (3rd line C or LW, or possibly 2nd line LW at some point if he really pans out), but I think he may be brought in to give the team an elite 4th line.

Though if Lain is good enough, then you could have something like Gaunce - Lain - Dorsett, which wouldn't be too bad.

For sure it will be an interesting few years - aside from Henrik, there will be a lot of young centers transitioning through the lineup fighting for minutes. Bonino, Vey, Gaunce, Horvat, Lain and possibly even Cassels could compete for minutes at center.
I don't think we should develop Gaunce toward a 4th line player, we need to develop him to a top 9 player atleast. 4th liners are easy to get through FA, besides we got Kenins, Zalewski, Lain, Archibald, Pettit, Mallet who can possibly be future 4th liners if they develop properly.

Old
07-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Yup.

I agree with this.

I feel that the upside with Lain is that you can give him that opportunity to play in that 4th line grinding center role whereas with a player like Gaunce, we wouldnt want to do that. His offensive development would be smothered playing with guys like Sestito and Dorsett.

If we end up with some surprises or trades and our 4th line looks like Matthias - Richardson/? - Hansen though, then Id be fine with playing Gaunce between two speedy players he can complement.

That would be an expensive 4th line though, heres hoping the cap skyrockets over the next few seasons

07-13-2014, 09:04 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Because Vey was handed Jensen's spot (albeit it shuffled to C). Jensen is going to the minors unless there are further trades or injuries.
I didn't really mean full time, just when he's available. Could throw Jensen on with anyone really depending on how guys are playing.

Still think it would be a great opportunity to get 2 young guys working together to try and generate some chemistry that could lead to some much needed secondary scoring.

As for Vey, I've heard conflicting reports about his C or W abilities. I'll be happy to make my own assessment in preseason.

Old
07-13-2014, 09:14 PM
m9

Quote:

Maybe, but I really like what Lain can add on the bottom of the roster. With Gaunce's flexibility though he would be a great fit as the 13th forward in 2015-16 as long as he progresses.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:36 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
I didn't really mean full time, just when he's available. Could throw Jensen on with anyone really depending on how guys are playing.

Still think it would be a great opportunity to get 2 young guys working together to try and generate some chemistry that could lead to some much needed secondary scoring.

As for Vey, I've heard conflicting reports about his C or W abilities. I'll be happy to make my own assessment in preseason.
Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox etc need to go tear up the AHL as a group and develop some chemistry with big minutes and consistent partners.

Old
07-14-2014, 12:38 AM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox etc need to go tear up the AHL as a group and develop some chemistry with big minutes and consistent partners.
He's going to get NHL games even if he starts in the AHL (which I've also been saying all along).