HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

How good are the D prospects?

Old
07-05-2014, 08:07 AM
cassac

vCash: 500
How good are the D prospects?

With all the names being tossed out there to get under the cap, I was wondering how good are Clendening, Dahlbeck, and Johns since I have never seen them play?

Lots of people think the answer to the cap is trading Rozsival and resigning Brookbank but what if the Blackhawks went another direction with trading off both Rozsival and Oduya and moving Leddy up?

I don't think that Hammer and Leddy work together on the 2nd pairing, I think making the first pair Keith and Hammer and then Leddy and Seabrook the 2nd. The third would then be one of the prospects and Brookbank, if they resign him, or another prospect or Rundblad.

Overall, I think the defense is weaker doing this, at least at first. However I think it accomplishes several things. One, the cap is settled this year with room to move TT up and down and still have some room to make a mid-season move if needed (about 1.3 million in space if Brookbank is resigned or 1.25 million and Johns brought up with 23 on the roster). Two, Oduya will fetch a better offer than anyone else that could be considered expendable, much more than Versteeg or Rozsival. Three, Leddy will be on a put up or shut up status. Going into his last year before becoming a RFA, I think the question of is he a top four defenseman needs to be answered. I would really be pissed off if he is signed to a Hammer type contract and is a huge disappointment in the playoffs.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I am sure that many people will think this is the dumbest idea ever, but is it really any worse than some of Q's lineups or playing Zus and Bollig as much as he did?

cassac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

they could be ready, but we don't know until we see them in the NHL. We are not going to start the year with 2 Rookie Ds

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:31 AM
zytz
lumberjack

dunno about johns, but I think probably he, clendening, Rundblad, and dahlbeck would all likely be fine on th bottom pairing

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Hawks4life

I think the cap issues are being overblown by the fans. Bowman will figure it out and has to have some sort of plan in mind.

Trust in Bowman.

Hawks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he has to trade 1 player to get under the Cap... we don't really have a Cap problem this year

Old
07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
topnotch

The Hawks are not going to "roll the dice" on two rookie defensemen becoming a good 3rd pairing in the last year before the Kane and Toews raises.

With Richards signed cheaply, the Hawks have a very good shot at the Cup before a more significant overall is required in 2015-16. No need to jeopardized any chances at a Cup.

Moving Versteeg or Rozsival will be enough.

topnotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Sarava

We won't know how good these D prospects are until they've been called up and given a chance. That said, I don't like any idea that moves Leddy up to the 2nd pair. He has clearly shown he isn't ready for that at this point.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
We won't know how good these D prospects are until they've been called up and given a chance. That said, I don't like any idea that moves Leddy up to the 2nd pair. He has clearly shown he isn't ready for that at this point.
This

The Hawks are a worse team if Leddy is in the top 4 dmen. Wouldn't Dale want him? Leddy for Trochek?

Kaners BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 07:57 PM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaners BAC View Post
This

The Hawks are a worse team if Leddy is in the top 4 dmen. Wouldn't Dale want him? Leddy for Trochek?
The Hate for Leddy on this board is disgusting. Leddy is a good player with a horrible partner. Give the kid a chance with hammer and you'll see how good he is.

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash
GO HAWKS!
DontTazMeBro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
The Hate for Leddy on this board is disgusting. Leddy is a good player with a horrible partner. Give the kid a chance with hammer and you'll see how good he is.
Saying Leddy isn't ready for the 2nd pair is not 'hate'.

Old
07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Leddy would look better with Hammer, but the 2nd pair in general would be worse than with Oduya/Hammer.

Leddy should be carrying partners on the third pairing, with soft matchups at this point. He's not. I don't hate Leddy. I've always been a fan of his.. but he should not be in this teams top-4 at this point, and I don't know if he'll ever get there. You'd think so, but I honestly don't know at this point.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Leddy would look better with Hammer, but the 2nd pair in general would be worse than with Oduya/Hammer.

Leddy should be carrying partners on the third pairing, with soft matchups at this point. He's not. I don't hate Leddy. I've always been a fan of his.. but he should not be in this teams top-4 at this point, and I don't know if he'll ever get there. You'd think so, but I honestly don't know at this point.
Yes he is. He has absolutely been carrying partners on the third pairing for 2 years now.

His CorsiRev year by year-
2012 .5%
2013 1.3%
2014 2.3%

p/60-

quality of teammates

He is playing better with progressively worse teammates. Not sure what else the kid could do to silence his doubters. He is on track to being Brian Campbell.

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 12:01 AM
H a w k s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
He is playing better with progressively worse teammates. Not sure what else the kid could do to silence his doubters. He is on track to being Brian Campbell.
One of three things.

1. Get traded

2. Fire Bowman

3. Not let fluke goals deflect off him.

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 09:02 AM
slappipappi

Leddy's biggest problem with staying with the Hawks long term is cap space.

Once he's up for UFA, depending on how he is playing, the only way he could likely stay on the team is taking Seabrook's cap space. Considering they play completely different styles, that's not likely to occur.

Bowman's choice of who will move for cap reasons this year depend partly on what is offered. If some team wants to give up some decent pieces for Leddy, Bowman might move him now as he likely believes he's going to be moved eventually anyway.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Leddy is still young, improved every year and is still signed for cheap

Old
07-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
2013 Rozy carried Leddy and then in playoffs Rozy stepped up to carry load with rest of top 4 when kid flamed out

Corsi #'s and other nonsense is just that. Anyone who watches games knows that Leddy was not very good in 2013 playoffs

And this past year he again failed bigtime with big chance to step up. Hawks needed Leddy to step up with Rozy struggling and he didn't

4 years of futility in playoffs from #8 is enough and he will never be the top 4 guy his defenders want to believe he will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Leddy is still young, improved every year and is still signed for cheap
No he is not signed for cheap

2.7M cap hit for what he brings is not cheap and next year he will be looking for a big raise

No thanks to that

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
2013 Rozy carried Leddy and then in playoffs Rozy stepped up to carry load with rest of top 4 when kid flamed out

Corsi #'s and other nonsense is just that. Anyone who watches games knows that Leddy was not very good in 2013 playoffs

And this past year he again failed bigtime with big chance to step up. Hawks needed Leddy to step up with Rozy struggling and he didn't

4 years of futility in playoffs from #8 is enough and he will never be the top 4 guy his defenders want to believe he will be
To be fair, he probably should have spent most of these 4 years in Rockford. It's not his fault the Hawks rushed him to the NHL before he was ready.